ADVERTISEMENT

Contenders This year?

19GHS87

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 10, 2016
Who are the title contenders this year? And Why?

I'll say.

1. Appomattox. Lots of athletes, been there done that. I hear they return a great defense.
2 - 5 in no particular order.
Richlands - Returning most of the defense, offense will be the big question mark with a new QB. Asbury, Howie and Booker will be extremely hard to replace, no matter who transfers in over there.
Union - Mitchell, good coaching and plenty of good athletes of their own.
Graham - I'm hearing a little buzz about athletes transferring there from Abingdon and Bluefield. Sure they lost Cousin, but they return a Lot of offensive power without him. Allen at QB will be a difficult matchup for anybody, kid's got a rocket arm and he's a threat to run the ball as well. Big Question again for Graham will be lineplay, that lost it for them against Richlands.
Giles - Always a difficult matchup. They just need a few athletes and that system they run and they could win against anybody. Lineplay last season was not the best they've had, I look for them to be better this season.
Martinsville is my wild card team. They have good athletes and a new coach that likes to throw the ball around and spread it out, could be an interesting team to watch.

What does everybody else think?

Last edited:
Solid list. I don't know what kind of team they'll have this year, but this will be Poquoson's first year in 2A. They have been very competitive over the years in 3A and will be battle tested. Half of their schedule is against 4A teams in the Bay Rivers. They may be the top contender from the east and have the element of surprise.

1. Appomattox. Lots of athletes, been there done that. I hear they return a great defense.

I wont say "GREAT" defense, but the coaching alone at Appo will keep that D fundamentally sound. The D will not have the speed the previous 2-3 years had. I think the biggest spots of concern with Appo this year will be replacing our RBs (phillip, Tre, Kelso brothers). Another issue is the kicking game if ya ask me. Carter Jamerson will be hard to replace kicking and punting. Its going to be interesting seeing how the OL does with 4 replacements. I think they will be solid if they iron out kinks in preseason.

Reactions: Stabler1980
Solid list. I don't know what kind of team they'll have this year, but this will be Poquoson's first year in 2A. They have been very competitive over the years in 3A and will be battle tested. Half of their schedule is against 4A teams in the Bay Rivers. They may be the top contender from the east and have the element of surprise.
I would think that Poquoson would be a legitimate contender this season as well.

Richlands is going to look more like the River teams from a few years beck, I think.

QB will be Brown. He got quite a bit of work in last season when Richlands was up big. He's a great runner with a much better arm that River had, but not quite the arm JLA had.

WR will be the big question. Taylor Horn was very impressive last year. He and Dan Brown had plenty of time with the first team, so they will be ok. It'll be interesting to see who else steps it up on the outside.

Richlands line will be something special this season. Really looking forward to that groups progression from last season.

As someone already said, the defense will be a very good group this year. They should keep Richlands in early games if the offense doesn't click right away.

With two 4A schools on the schedule, Richlands could lose a couple but still have enough points to get the 1 or 2 seed in region D.

Speaking of points, I see Martinsville plays a lot of 3A, 4A and 5A teams. Bulldogs should pile up some VHSL points.

meanwhile, Gretna plays a 1A school twice, and at least 1 other 1A. I believe the only game we have playing "up" is Tunstall.

Reactions: AntGZee
What about Glenvar, Gate City, Gretna, Goochland? some of the other G - Teams)
Anybody have any idea how solid those teams will be?

Glenvar arrived on the scene a couple of seasons ago with a good group of athletes. Last year, they were very slow, but pretty physical.
Gate City was along the same lines, good size, physical team, but slow as molasses.
I don't know anything about Gretna or Goochland at all. But Goochland seems to field a contender pretty often, while Gretna has slid off for a couple of seasons, but always seem to have athletes.

Speaking of points, I see Martinsville plays a lot of 3A, 4A and 5A teams. Bulldogs should pile up some VHSL points.

meanwhile, Gretna plays a 1A school twice, and at least 1 other 1A. I believe the only game we have playing "up" is Tunstall.

Martinsville plays up like that every year. They really can't avoid it by being the only 2A in the district. However, playing up does you very little good any more in terms of points - unless you play up and win. It can be argued that playing down is actually rewarded more. Gretna will get 2A points for playing those 1A schools under the screwy new system.

A 2A school (like Gretna) now gets 2A points for winning over a 1A.

Example:. Gretna beats a 5-5 1A team and gets the 2A credit of 18 points instead of the 1A 16. They get another 2 points for all 5 of the other team's wins for a total of 28 points.
Now if Gretna were to play and win against a 2-8 5A team they would get 24 points for the 5A win and 4 more points for that team's 2 wins for a total of 28 points.

Gretna scores 28 versus a middle of the road 1A, but also scores 28 against a not-so-great 5A.

The most important piece is to actually win the game though. And I think if I'm a school like Gretna, I take my chances to win against that 1A school with 400 students over the 5A school with 1800.

The VHSL started a couple of years ago by giving credit to bigger schools who are "forced" to play smaller schools because they're in the same district. Last year it changed to all schools whether they are in district or not. I'm sure they took this measure because schools in areas like the far southwest have scheduling limitations/hardships.

I like Graham very much in Region D. They lost only 6 or 8 seniors. Cousin is a huge loss. Their QB this year could be very good and the WR Cooke is darn impressive. J. Reed at running back will not be much of a step down from Cousin, possibly a better RB in the long run. Cousin is perhaps a greater loss on defense. As I said, lineplay will be the key. Get a decent line to protect the qb and he will be extremely dangerous. He's a guy that could take it to the house on any given play. Very athletic and smart. I'm pretty positive they are getting a solid DE transferring from Abingdon and an athlete to play at the other WR position, at least that's the word from a friend of mine with close ties to the Abingdon program. The other running back, Chinault was impressive as a sophomore last year as well. Can't wait to see these guys play. Offense should be very explosive, more so than last season. Defense should be solid, but need to be bigger and stronger on the line. They had a TE that looked to be about 6'6" at the 7 on 7 in Blacksburg. Would be a good target for short yardage situations. A year in the weight room for a couple of their younger guys on the line could help tremendously. As far as lineplay, they were a little under-sized last season and I believe they lost 3 of them to graduation.

I heard Clark would have a very good line on both sides of the ball but have either freshmen or sophomores at the skill positions...well RB/QB as they may only pass 10 times all season. They will probably win the Bull run and one or two playoff games but I'd bet that is about it. Watch out for Central (Woodstock).

Reactions: Pioneer101
Goochland goes undefeated and gets top seed and home field. Poquoson looses two, maybe three, and goes on the road. (Loses, Smithfield, Lafayette, and maybe Grafton).
Sounds right to me. Goochland was loaded last year and if it hadn't have been for Appomattox then they probably would have won it all.
This is true, Goochland was no slouch. They actually had me nervous for first two quarters

Goochland goes undefeated and gets top seed and home field. Poquoson loses two, maybe three, and goes on the road. (Loses, Smithfield, Lafayette, and maybe Grafton).
I may be wrong but I think Goochland returns more from last year than anybody.
That qb for gooch killed the team. He played scared and threw ball away every time there was a glimmer of pressure.

Region Winners: A - Poquoson B- Clarke C- Appomattox D- Graham
Semis - Poquoson over Clarke Appomattox over Graham
Final - Appomattox over Poquoson
Appomattox with the rare 3-peat.........

Reactions: obguthr
Hope the guy above me is right.
No doubt some wholes to fill in for Appomattox in a three phases of the game.
Goochland should be tough.

Region C and D looks to be very tough. Looks like Appo and Dan River are the favorites in C and Graham, Richlands and Union will duke it out in D. As GHS said earlier, Martinsville could be in the hunt as well. I also have to believe my brother Chris Akers will have Gate City in the hunt. I'd have to go
A- Goochland
B- Clarke
C- Dan River
D- Graham

Hard to believe that Graham has a young man that is just as good as Cousins at RB and that's scary.
I'll go Goochland over Clarke, Graham over Dan River...

Gimme Goochland by a field goal over Graham for the state championship.

Reactions: 19GHS87
I sincerely believe that Graham's offense will be more potent than last season. I'm not saying that Jazaire Reed will be as good as Cousin at RB. However he will not be far behind. He runs low to the ground and has a big frame. About 5'9" but about 210 lbs. Very strong and deceptively quick. Chris Chinault will surprise folks at running back this season as well. He has waited patiently behind Cousin and Reed and should have a breakout season this year. The qb Cameron Allen has great speed and has a rocket for an arm. Graham had a dynamic qb last season in Meade but after seeing Allen in action he is a bigger, faster and stronger version of Meade. Let's not forget about his favorite target,Taymon Cooke, at WR who has multiple D1 offers, WVU being the most notable. Good news for Graham is all of their skill players except for Cooke are juniors. They will be in the thick of things this season and next. Not sure of their line situation, last season they were a bit inexperienced and undersized. I like them to take region D this season. I hear rumors of a couple of very good athletes coming to Graham on August 1st from a school across the border. These rumors go around every year either about Graham kids transferring to Bluefield or Bluefield kida going to Graham Sometimes the rumors are true and sometimes they are not. We will see on August 1st. Richland's and Union of course stand in the way. I think Gate City will be improved but not enough athletes to compete with the other 3 this season.

As for Richland's, they will have a good qb in Brown, but Asbury will be hard to replace. Richland's has had trouble establishing a running game since the Blankenship kid that transferred from Tazewell was there year before last. I'm hearing that they will be big and strong on the line and solid defensively. With Howie, Ball and Booker gone, that was most of.their offense. Unless they have some studs transfer in again this season, I don't see the defense carrying them as far as last season.

Also, I think Giles may surprise some folks this season in Region C. They have a sophomore RB that should make an impact this season and the lineplay should be much improved, which is essential to what they do.

Man, I'm hyped up for some football now. Can't wait!

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Should be a interesting season and looking forward to see if any one can step up there game to the 2 time defending state champions currently 30 games won in a row , wow that's amazing , so get ready to lace umm up and get ready for some Friday nite football . Can't wait good luck to all

Poquoson will go 9-1 or 8-2 at worse with a loss to Smithfield and a 50-50 toss up game with Lafayette and......even with an 8-2 or 9-1 record, they will likely play for a state championship. They are very big and very deep and very good up front with excellent lineplay on both sides of the ball that will be the best, or among the best in Va's Class 2A. They return tons of starters and had a sophomore class that was outstanding. The Bull Islanders timed it perfect with dropping in Classification as they would have been a threat at their previous Classification for the 2017 season.

Keep your eyes on Southampton at the 3A level who is supposed to have the best team they have had in nearly 30 years from what 2 guys over in Courtland told me. Since we play them, I thought I would share this. That is purely hearsay and word from other people. I have no idea about Southampton and their fans would have to tell you about them, but I live in Poquoson and can tell you first hand....the Bull Islanders are going to be the real deal in 2017. The Southampton game this year and the first one of the season for Poqouson will be a good barometer.

Lafayette and Tabb are losses from last year we will redeem this year. Lafayette is supposed to be about what they were last year and Tabb and Grafton should be slightly down from last year. They both lost some key starters. I think we get both of them and wins. Tabb was a fluke last year. We will win that game by 3-4 TDs this year. The loss will be against Smithfield which hammered us last year. They are actually supposed to be better this year. They may challenge for a state title at their Classification this year. They are well coached and loaded in talent, and keep getting more talent as families move across the bridge out of Hampton/Newport News.

With our schedule, if we can go 9-1 with some key wins over teams like Lafayette, Jamestown, Grafton, Tabb, New Kent, and Southampton, that could spell trouble in the playoffs for our opponents. Well know more when we go on the road in Courtland to play Southampton in game one.

Last edited:
Smithfield gets a good test on their opening week. Travel to Dinwiddie. Of course that means Dinwiddie gets a good test, too. Smithfield has been becoming more and more of a factor for several years now.

I loved it when we had a home away series with Poquoson a few years back. Tough as nails kids, and great parents and fans. That's a proud bunch of old watermen folks from down that way.

With the coach of Lafayette focused solely on football this season, (gave up the AD job), I expect them to be at least as good as last season. They may play in a weak district, but they have made winning a habit. They expect to win every game. That goes a long way.

Even Jamestown should be improved again this season, so I hear. What did they win last year? Three games?

Jamestown will be improved. I thought they were a 4 win team last year, but maybe it was three. I know their fans were telling us they were very young last year and they would be much better. I didnt know that about the Lafayette coach. That's interesting.

No question, that Dinwiddie and Smithfield matchup will be one of the better ones in the entire statr early on.

3-7, beat New Kent, Briton, and York.

Dinwiddie opens the week before by hosting Denbigh. Smithfield has an extra week to prepare, but Dinwiddie has a game under their belt to fix problems after Denbigh. But Smithfield gets game films, Dinwiddie has to develop a game plan on past Smithfield tendencies. But, Denwiddie is at home, which is an advantage.

So you are right on. Should be a good contest that tells both teams about their potential.

I'm hoping my buddy gwb will make the trip out to Dinwiddie. I would really like to finally meet him in person. Of course lucus, we would love to have you visit our humble little stadium, too?

How good is Smithfield gonna be this year?
Real good, I believe. Their QB has several D-1 offers. They will be a senior heavy team, coming off of an 8-3 season.

They smoked Grafton in their last regular season game, but lost their next game, first round playoff 30-27 to Grafton. So they were darn close to making the second round of the playoffs.

They lost some talent, but were not gutted by any means.

Coach Chavis is starting to come into his own now. He has the Packers expecting to win every time they set their cleats on the field. The community is getting behind them. They had some distractions in the school administration that seem to have been resolved. So the future is bright.

9-1 is possible, 8-2 at the worst. As far as the playoffs, it all depends on seeding and matchups. They could get bounced in the first round, or they could be playing in round three.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Real good, I believe. Their QB has several D-1 offers. They will be a senior heavy team, coming off of an 8-3 season.

They smoked Grafton in their last regular season game, but lost their next game, first round playoff 30-27 to Grafton. So they were darn close to making the second round of the playoffs.

They lost some talent, but were not gutted by any means.

Coach Chavis is starting to come into his own now. He has the Packers expecting to win every time they set their cleats on the field. The community is getting behind them. They had some distractions in the school administration that seem to have been resolved. So the future is bright.

9-1 is possible, 8-2 at the worst. As far as the playoffs, it all depends on seeding and matchups. They could get bounced in the first round, or they could be playing in round three.
Thanks my friend. Hopefully I'll make the Smithfield/Dinwiddie game.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
How good is Smithfield gonna be this year?
I think they are 9-1 good with their only loss on the road to runner up state champion Dinwiddie. Smithfield will be very good, but in a mess in game one. I hope Smithfield will be 8-2 with one of its losses to Poqouson, but I give Smithfield the edge.

I will say this...the lineplay of Poqouson will be the best ever at the school. I truly mean that and my opinion only, the lineplay from starters to depth will be equally as good or better than the state title team. Our biggest question marks will be.....defensive backfield and leadership in the secondary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT