ADVERTISEMENT

Danville 34 Halifax County 16

BoKnowsSports

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 19, 2021
GW didn’t play their best game but knock off the previously unbeaten Blue Comets. Should move up in points.

GW didn’t play their best game but knock off the previously unbeaten Blue Comets. Should move up in points.
They looked bad at times. One option play the QB pretty much pitched it right to the defender. Plenty of time to iron some things out before the playoffs.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
They looked bad at times. One option play the QB pretty much pitched it right to the defender. Plenty of time to iron some things out before the playoffs.
Bad is an understatement. They will get blown out by Dinwiddie if they don’t tighten a lot of things up.

Reactions: SFUWO
Wasn’t Halifax the undefeated team they must be pretty good to be undefeated
Well the teams they beat have a combined win total of 9. One of those was against Bluestone. Look them up. They are very bad. Another one was because two of the teams played each other. Definitely going to be one and done in playoffs

Halifax did not play Bluestone.
Well the teams they beat have a combined win total of 9. One of those was against Bluestone. Look them up. They are very bad. Another one was because two of the teams played each other. Definitely going to be one and done in playoffs

Park View South Hill*

Reactions: SFUWO
I thought this was that really good HC JV team
From a few years ago that won the District JV
Championship

Halifax would’ve probably beaten GW if they had actually been challenged this year. At times the GW offensive line just stood and watched. No sense of urgency and at this point, GW is beating teams off talent alone. GW is solid across the board, however, they’re not physical aside from Dixon, Poole, Will Daniel and Howard (I’ll throw Spratt in the mix because he’s a special player). They played well defensively but had some coverage issues that will cost them against a team like Dinwiddie, Glass or Salem. Lots of things to fix in very short time. None the less, a good win today. I’ll say that Bassett is probably behind Salem and Christiansburg as the 3rd best team in Timesland right now. Huge game Friday.

So are you saying not much coaching going on at GW just Talent ? Who is the best coached team in the Peidmont?

It's true GW didn't play well today. That's the bad news. The good news? They still won and except for a few tense moments in the first quarter it really wasn't close.

The Eagles will have their "A" game next Friday when they host the Bengals down by the river. You can bet on it.

Bassett opponents have a combined record of 16-29. Six of those wins are by LCA. Factor that out and their opponents are 10-29.

GW has too many weapons and too much speed. Bassett playmakers will get lose and keep it close for awhile but I'm saying GW by 14+.

So are you saying not much coaching going on at GW just Talent ? Who is the best coached team in the Peidmont?
Bassett has the best coach. Favero got the love, but Johnson played a big part in those two state championships at Magna Vista. Since Coach J left for Bassett, things haven’t been the same in Ridgeway. Love Nick but we’ve had some damn good teams and we don’t have 1 regional championship or state playoff appearance to show for it. Just facts over feelings here.

It's true GW didn't play well today. That's the bad news. The good news? They still won and except for a few tense moments in the first quarter it really wasn't close.

The Eagles will have their "A" game next Friday when they host the Bengals down by the river. You can bet on it.

Bassett opponents have a combined record of 16-29. Six of those wins are by LCA. Factor that out and their opponents are 10-29.

GW has too many weapons and too much speed. Bassett playmakers will get lose and keep it close for awhile but I'm saying GW by 14+.
While I will say Bassett’s SOS hasn’t been the best besides traveling to Region 6 Franklin County the first game of the season and playing top Region 3 LCA at home, you can’t look past them outscoring their opponents 352-92. The playmakers on offense make it look nice but the stout defense causing three shutouts is pretty good. I’ll take Bassett in a close one.

Yeah they beat Bluestone who has been outscored 169- 0 in the 3 games they played
Halifax has played Park View South Hill which is in the same county as Bluestone, but they have not played Bluestone this year.

Comparing coaches is like comparing opponents and since I’ve done that I’ll just say this. GW is well coached. It’s not just the head coach who is responsible for a team. The same can be said for Bassett and MV. Head coaches get credit for success and are often unfairly blamed for losses.

The game in Danville this coming Friday will be a big one and will hopefully live up to the hype it is sure to command on boards like this one.

Well Bo I guess my next question is who do you
Think will win Friday Night
If GW plays to their potential, GW will not only win Friday, but they could win the region. Just too many what if’s because you never know what team is going to show up.

Which team Bassett or GW do you think is more battle tested this season
I'm going to lean towards Bassett but it's really close. Bassett played LCA which is the best team either one has played to this point. EC Glass is the best team GW has played. They lost both games. Then Franklin county and Amherst both were dealing with Covid. This should be a great game

Comparing coaches is like comparing opponents and since I’ve done that I’ll just say this. GW is well coached. It’s not just the head coach who is responsible for a team. The same can be said for Bassett and MV. Head coaches get credit for success and are often unfairly blamed for losses.

The game in Danville this coming Friday will be a big one and will hopefully live up to the hype it is sure to command on boards like this one.
I love Nick. Not everyone in Danville is on the Anderson train. We’re grateful the administration hasn’t run the Anderson family off. My thing is, we’ve had some crazy good teams. From 2013 to 2015, GW was absolutely loaded and I’ll go on record and say had the most firepower in all of Class 4. 2017 to 2019, they had the biggest teams in GW’s history. Starting O-Line avg was 6’3 275 across the board with TWO D-1 RBs, a current starting MLB at Liberty and a 6’4 QB who ran a 4.45. Last year was the same thing with Willie, Shy (who is one of the top players in NC now).. Nothing to show for this talent.

The best teams don’t always have the best players. Sometimes having too much talent is as bad as not having enough. It’s a better problem to have but it’s still a problem. If GW beats Bassett this week and I really think they will with your opinion of Anderson versus Johnson change?

Also, there’s no way Bassett is more battle tested and GW. GW has played at least 4 teams that are solid. Bassett has played 1?They are getting a lot of mileage out of scored 28 points versus LCA in the second game of the season.

Also, there’s no way Bassett is more battle tested and GW. GW has played at least 4 teams that are solid. Bassett has played 1?They are getting a lot of mileage out of scored 28 points versus LCA in the second game of the season.
You can’t deny shutouts. Which Coach Johnson has 3 this season, 1 on the road. Also can’t deny that the Bengals backfield rushed for 241 yards versus one of the top teams in the state. I’ll agree GW will be a test for the Bassett crew but I don’t think it’ll be a runaway defeat at all.

The best teams don’t always have the best players. Sometimes having too much talent is as bad as not having enough. It’s a better problem to have but it’s still a problem. If GW beats Bassett this week and I really think they will with your opinion of Anderson versus Johnson change?
Bassett was one of the worst programs in the state. They had all types of talent leave for Magna Vista. Johnson turned that ship around. Wasn’t overnight. GW has never been short on talent. GW should be a state contender every year like Salem is, however, they get ran off the field in humiliating fashion. Hasn’t come close to a ring. GW is the only high school in a city of 42k. Ain’t no football players going to Galileo or leaving to go to Tunstall or Dan River now. What’s the excuse? Salem has blown the doors off of GW every year. FYI, Johnson’s offense beat Salem two years in a row in 2010 & 2011 😴

Was Johnson Coaching Offense Then or was that Favaro
They both did. In fact, Favero asked Harvey Taylor did he want to go for 2 against Salem. They went for it and won. Fact is, MV hasn’t been a contender since Johnson left.

Another Question who is the winningest coach in GW History
Nick is correct? I’ll say, though he’s won, Pugh & Martin went against the best of the best. We must be clear. Nick has been at GW since 2013. They’ve played Patrick, Tunstall, and Martinsville every year. That’s over 25 wins over very bad teams (though Tunstall had some good teams in 3 of those years). Throw in those very bad Bassett and Halifax teams.

Fair enough Did GW have more Students when Pugh and Martin were there as compared to Anderson

Also when comparing Both coach Johnson and Coach Anderson prior to their present Positions
Coach Johnson was DC on two State Championship teams at MV and Coach Anderson was OC at Greenville Rose when they won the State and Head Coach at Kinston when they lost to Reidsville on the last play of the game in the State Championship both have great resumes

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT