ADVERTISEMENT

Dillon just short from 68 yards

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
Menchville place kicker Dillon Christopher attempted to enter the record books in their matchup with Bethel by attempting a 68-yard field goal attempt. The kick would have been epic if it went through the uprights but the ball just missed hitting the back of the endzone between the uprights. The kick would have been good from 63-yards out.

1144981.jpg
What would have made the kick even more amazing was the environment which wasn't exactly ideal for a field goal. The field was wet, and the temperature was the coldest Menchville has played in this year making the football hard. To make matters even worse, there was a stiff wind blowing. "If it was a little warmer and not raining," Christopher said, "I think it would have been good."

No one was more surprised than Christopher when he was told to enter the game with the ball at the 50-yard line. "I had no idea," Christopher said about the attempt. "I was expecting to punt and I had been warming up to punt."

His strong leg is a weapon for the Monarchs on field goals and on kickoffs. Although he has had only 14 kickoff attempts, Christopher has placed 11 of those in the end zone.

Earlier this year, Christopher converted a 50-yard field goal and had more than enough distance on a second attempt (53-yards) that went wide right.

He attended the National Camp Series kicking camp in Williamsburg Virginia. "We were evaluated on kickoffs, field goals from various spots, and punts," Christopher said. "The best aspect was that they worked with us after they evaluated us to give us pointers on form and accuracy."

The camp included sessions with former NFL kicker Michael Husted who made 142 field goals in nine years, primarily with the Tampa bay Buccaneers. Husted helps to run the National Camp Series camp and he sees a lot of potential in Christopher reaching the next level.

"Dillon has an excellent leg," Husted said. "He gets solid height on his field goals. He has that 'pop' when he makes contact that when people hear it they turn their head. Being an accurate field goal kicker with strong kick offs is very attractive to big football programs. I only see Dillon getting better and excelling at the college level."

Some of the schools that are interested in Christopher are Old Dominion, Virginia Military Institute, Virginia Tech, William and Mary, and Penn State.

Staff writer Will Garlick covers high school sports for VirginiaPreps. You can reach him via email at

recruit_vapreps@verizon.net

or via

Facebook

This post was edited on 11/1 6:21 AM by wgarlick

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News