ADVERTISEMENT

Division 1 Playoffs

BroddyD

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2010
There has got to be a better way to pick the playoff teams. I think it is time that VISAA moves to a coaches poll instead of a point system. Liberty Christian only lost 3 games this year. They had losses against Woodberry, Benedictine and a very good Charlotte Christian team. They play one of the harder schedules in the state and the fact that a team like St. Christopher's who got crushed by 2 of the 3 other teams in its league is laughable.

John Paul the Great's inclusion is even more ridiculous. They got blown out by Nansemond-Suffolk and Fredericksburg Christian, two lower division schools. Do you really think JPG is any more deserving of a playoff spot than LCA or Collegiate?

A coach's poll would be subjective but, in the end, I think you would end up with the four best participating division 1 teams.

I think what hurt Liberty Christian Academy this year is they only had seven games that counted towards the playoffs.

Do you think that is a product of LCA trying to schedule weaker opponents or other VISAA schools trying to duck them? A coach's poll would take into account the strength of their non-conference schedule.

Their whole schedule is non-conference because no conference wants them. VIC football is no more mostly because of LCA's existence. How do you think that sentiment might translate in a coaches poll?

This is survival of the fittest in practice. It happened to STAB a few years ago as well and affected Huguenot some this year. You get good, so consistently good, that no one will play you except the best teams in the state (or out of state), and you have to seek out larger, more talented opponents to fill your schedule. Every program in this situation will eventually reach a point where it starts losing football games. All our complaints of the last two years boiled down to the fact that we were rewarding teams for losing with the schedule points. They got rid of those and now here comes the "But they lost to such good teams!" argument again.

I'm sorry, but I'm fresh out of sympathy. There will always be someone left out, and 9 times out of 10, I see and agree with the reason they are left out. JPG and St. Chris both had big wins over ranked opponents. St. Chris scored on Woodberry and played Benedictine closer than LCA did. What did LCA have? A squeaker in the mud against a 2-8 FUMA team (which, I grant, was a bit better than its record, talent-wise), a tight win over a mid-level WCAC team, and blowouts over Hargrave and a homeschool team. And it's not that no good teams would play them-- clearly Woodberry, Charlotte Christian, and Benedictine were still happy to fill a spot on LCA's schedule.

No one's resume is going to be perfect, but LCA's was no less imperfect than JPG or St. Chris. Scheduling isn't always in your control, but winning the games you schedule is what gets you in the playoffs. In a down year, LCA probably could have gotten in (look the records of playoff teams in D-IV this year). This year just wasn't that year.

In reality LCA had a playoff game. More of a Play In game. Benedictine had a similar game last year at LCA. LCA is a good team. They are not as great as their reputation. Last years LCA team was not super talented, but they won as a team. The teams people remember playing are those LCA squads from 3 and 4 years ago. They crushed folks. That is why they are not on a lot of schedules. Very ironic. Too much success in D1 can ultimately bite you. BTW St C will play Benedictine close. They match up physically. The winner should take the title.

When you put it that way, LCA's failure to advance doesn't seem as bad. At this point, I think Benedictine should definitely be the number 1 seed and the favorite based on their strength of schedule and wins. I do think STC will give them a run for their money and possibly pull off the upset on Saturday in what is essentially a rivalry game.

Broddy D

While I empathize with your sentiments, I'm more impressed with your ability to accept the constructive criticism and feedback. It really takes a big person to do this. I know its a tough pill to swallow, but I'm sure we have all found our team on the short end of the stick on occasion. From personal experience, it doesn't feel well, but we just have to learn from it and improve upon the shortcomings the next year. LCA will be back next year!

Having watched both LCA & St. Chris play Woodberry this year, there is no doubt that LCA was the stronger team of the two. St Chris did score 13 points, but only after the game was decided. LCA / Woodberry game was not decided until the last seconds of the game.

Woodberry fumbled twice in the red zone in the first quarter against St. Chris and then put up 28 points in the second quarter. I believe everyone for Woodberry played (77 Players) against St. Chris. Not the case against LCA.

JMO...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT