ADVERTISEMENT

Dogwood District & Realignment

MascotMemorizer

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 30, 2007
Well it looks like the Dogwood District will remain an 8-school district (In most sports, it's just 7. But Galileo Magnet is the 8th school).

Dogwood: Class 1, Region 2B (Altavista, Galileo Magnet, & William Campbell) & Class 2, Region C (Appomattox County, Chatham, Dan River, Gretna, & Nelson County)

Here was some of the appeals that would affect Region 2C and Region 1B and what happened:
  • Liberty (Bed):Liberty requests to move from Seminole District to the Dogwood District. (DENIED)
  • L.C.A.: Liberty Christian Academy requests to move up to Class 3, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region C. (APPROVED - thankfully!)
  • GeoWythe: George Wythe requests to move down to Class 1, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region C (APPROVED)
  • Grayson Co.: Grayson County request to move down to Class 1, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region C. (DENIED)
  • James River:James River requests to move down to Class 1, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region C. (DENIED)
  • Mountain View-Q:Mountain View requests to move down to Class 1, Region B instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region B. (DENIED)
  • Randolph-Henry:Randolph-Henry requests to move down to Class 1, Region B instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region A. (DENIED)
  • Riverheads:Riverheads requests to move down to Class 1, Region B instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region B (DENIED)
Region wise, there are some additions:
Region 1B (12 schools - Riverheads leaves for Region 2B)
Altavista, Appomattox Reg. Gov. School, Brunswick, Buffalo Gap, Carver College/Career Academy, Cumberland, Franklin, Galileo, Rappahannock County, Surry, Sussex, William Campbell

Region 2C - 13 schools (Alleghany moves up to Class 3 after Alleghany & Covington merges in 2023)
Appomattox County, Chatham, Dan River, Floyd County, Glenvar, Grayson County, Gretna, James River-Buchanan, Liberty-Bedford, Martinsville, Nelson County, and Patrick County, Radford.

So if I read this correct, Liberty (Bed) will move to 2A but remain in the Seminole District. The only 2A school in the district. What am I missing? Does that make sense?

Well it looks like the Dogwood District will remain an 8-school district (In most sports, it's just 7. But Galileo Magnet is the 8th school).

Dogwood: Class 1, Region 2B (Altavista, Galileo Magnet, & William Campbell) & Class 2, Region C (Appomattox County, Chatham, Dan River, Gretna, & Nelson County)

Here was some of the appeals that would affect Region 2C and Region 1B and what happened:
  • Liberty (Bed):Liberty requests to move from Seminole District to the Dogwood District. (DENIED)
  • L.C.A.: Liberty Christian Academy requests to move up to Class 3, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region C. (APPROVED - thankfully!)
  • GeoWythe: George Wythe requests to move down to Class 1, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region C (APPROVED)
  • Grayson Co.: Grayson County request to move down to Class 1, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region C. (DENIED)
  • James River:James River requests to move down to Class 1, Region C instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region C. (DENIED)
  • Mountain View-Q:Mountain View requests to move down to Class 1, Region B instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region B. (DENIED)
  • Randolph-Henry:Randolph-Henry requests to move down to Class 1, Region B instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region A. (DENIED)
  • Riverheads:Riverheads requests to move down to Class 1, Region B instead of their alignment assignment to Class 2, Region B (DENIED)
Region wise, there are some additions:
Region 1B (12 schools - Riverheads leaves for Region 2B)
Altavista, Appomattox Reg. Gov. School, Brunswick, Buffalo Gap, Carver College/Career Academy, Cumberland, Franklin, Galileo, Rappahannock County, Surry, Sussex, William Campbell

Region 2C - 13 schools (Alleghany moves up to Class 3 after Alleghany & Covington merges in 2023)
Appomattox County, Chatham, Dan River, Floyd County, Glenvar, Grayson County, Gretna, James River-Buchanan, Liberty-Bedford, Martinsville, Nelson County, and Patrick County, Radford.
If Grayson goes to 2c thus making a 9 school district.

So if I read this correct, Liberty (Bed) will move to 2A but remain in the Seminole District. The only 2A school in the district. What am I missing? Does that make sense?
I read somewhere that the Dogwood denied their request to join.

Reactions: Kimosabe5
I read somewhere that the Dogwood denied their request to join.
From the VHSL Site:
Appeal #20. Dave Melton moved, Dan Hornick seconded and the committee voted 4-0-1 (Bennett abstaining)
to deny Liberty-Bedford’s appeal to move to Dogwood District instead of their assigned alignment to
Seminole District.
Rationale: Significant Liberty’s numbers and opposition by the schools in Dogwood District.

• Wow
Reactions: Kimosabe5
If Grayson goes to 2c thus making a 9 school district.
Grayson will stay in the Mountain Empire District (only Class 2 school in that district), but will be in Region 2C.

Region 2C will consist of 13 schools from 5 different districts: Dogwood, Piedmont, Three Rivers, Seminole, and Mountain Empire Districts.

Reactions: oldfool2
1A playoffs are pretty much laughable until the state quarters/semis ---- Seen many a team finish 4th in a district with 2A teams but make state play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT