ADVERTISEMENT

Early Predictions for Districts in the Valley

Jul 26, 2015
I know it's very early to make predictions for basketball this year but I found this site and was wondering what everyone in the Shenandoah Valley thought. I try to keep up with the high school basketball all over the area but I will limit my predictions to the district closest to me. Anybody who lives in other areas of the Valley please give your predictions for your district.

Bull Run District Predictions

1. George Mason
2. Strasburg
3. Central - Woodstock
4. Madison
5. Clarke
6. William Monroe
7. Warren
8. Rappahannock
9. Manassas Park

I'm more of a Northwestern District guy...but I follow Bull Run, Valley, Shenandoah.

A few observations...

Mason - definite favorite; not sure they lose a game
Strasburg - losing Smoot they lost the only physicality they have; but they can shoot it well and have guard play
Central - why so high? I don't understand this one
Madison - losing Graves will hurt them more than people think
Clarke - I think Clarke can surprise some people this year
Monroe - why so low?
Warren - new coach so who knows; Ford can score
Rapp - finally the year they get out of cellar?
MP - this program is in trouble

I think the district is wide open except for Mason at top. I think the most interesting things you have on there are Central high at 3 and Monroe low at 6. Why did you put both there?

I see most of the games in this league at Strasburg. I know Strasburg and Mason are good. The rest of the league seems likes a toss up. Please don't be offended if I didn't put your team high. Just trying to get some conversation going about this year. What do you have on the Northwestern District?

I don't have a team - I just follow hoops. I'm from Front Royal and went to JMU but don't really have an allegiance to any of the local teams. I still keep up from time to time but work on the road makes it difficult to make as many games as I'd like!

I think the league you're referring to was at Central in Woodstock. I was there for this last week of games they had. They had something like 12 teams in the league - pretty cool to watch some bball in the summer for us has-beens.

As far as Northwestern District goes and what I've seen/heard:
1. Millbrook - they lost a lot of key players but are very athletic and play together
2. James Wood - this could be the year they make some more noise; Brooks is as good as anyone in the league; will depend on supporting cast
3. Handley - very young but they have some shooters; could be pretty good near end of the year; future is very bright
4. Skyline - just brought in a new coach; they have a few pieces but not enough to really contend
5. Sherando - was not impressed with them when I saw them; think they'll be down this year

Again, I've seen these teams play maybe twice each in the summer...so who knows if all their kids were there or all of that.

Where are you from? Will you mostly be watching Bull Run games this year? Or Valley games?

I live just north of Harrisonburg. I will probably see about both leagues about the same amount. May depend on which one is more exciting. I like Spotswood and Lee in the Valley. Im looking forward to seeing how the new coaches do as well. I have always thought Harrisonburg could be a basketball powerhouse with the right program. Thought on the Valley?

I live just north of Harrisonburg. I will probably see about both leagues about the same amount. May depend on which one is more exciting. I like Spotswood and Lee in the Valley. Im looking forward to seeing how the new coaches do as well. I have always thought Harrisonburg could be a basketball powerhouse with the right program. Thought on the Valley?

The Valley District should be a very competitive league this year in my opinion. Spotswood should be #1 but the rest of the teams could finish in any order I think. The only team that really graduated a lot of players was Fort so they could be down a little but Coach Leonard seems to always find a way. Everyone else brings back nearly all starters. Its a great district to watch I think with a lot of great rivalries and the coaching in the league may be the best in the state when you look at all teams from top to bottom. Should be an exciting season!

Agreed. The Valley doesn't always have the best talent, but they have some of the best coaches in the state who do wonders with who they have.

Edwards at Spotswood, Leonard at Fort, a former college coach in Burgess at Harrisonburg, Walton at Broadway, DeWitt at Waynesboro, Hatcher at Lee

It doesn't get much better than that....a rare longevity for coaches in that league that allows for continuity in their programs. There's not a lot of turnover in the league which makes it always competitive

Agreed. The Valley doesn't always have the best talent, but they have some of the best coaches in the state who do wonders with who they have.

Edwards at Spotswood, Leonard at Fort, a former college coach in Burgess at Harrisonburg, Walton at Broadway, DeWitt at Waynesboro, Hatcher at Lee

It doesn't get much better than that....a rare longevity for coaches in that league that allows for continuity in their programs. There's not a lot of turnover in the league which makes it always competitive
And another college coach in the new hire-Weller at TA with 2 state tournament appearances also at the high school level. Should be some turnover next year again as both Dewitt and Leonard are saying this is most likely their last year.

Waynesboro, in my opinion is the dark horse in the district. If they can keep everyone eligible they will be pretty good!

I know it's very early to make predictions for basketball this year but I found this site and was wondering what everyone in the Shenandoah Valley thought. I try to keep up with the high school basketball all over the area but I will limit my predictions to the district closest to me. Anybody who lives in other areas of the Valley please give your predictions for your district.

Bull Run District Predictions

1. George Mason
2. Strasburg
3. Central - Woodstock
4. Madison
5. Clarke
6. William Monroe
7. Warren
8. Rappahannock
9. Manassas Park

Any thoughts on the Shenandoah District? I see it as a 2 team race between Luray and East Rock. New coach at Luray that I don't know much about so I will give the edge to East Rock.

I think the Shenandoah will be down. East Rock might win by default. Page should challenge and Luray has potential. Other than that, Riverheads, Gap, and Stonewall Jackson will not be very good. Wilson lost a lot of kids too. Overall, it seems like a weaker league than usual to me.

This could be fun...ranking all the teams from Augusta/Rockingham/Shenandoah County for the pre-season...Thoughts?

Manassas Park is no longer in the Bull Run so Rappahannock County will still bring up the rear. George Mason did not lose a single district or conference game last year and they return everybody so I see them winning the title again fairly easily with Strasburg second. There are no other BRD teams that are any good at all, which really can potentially hurt the teams that advance in the regional and state playoffs.

William Monroe and Clarke County are always physical teams which can pose problems for anyone on any given night. The rest of the league I'm unsure of, but know the other teams have been weak lately. I get to a few Mason games a year if I can (when work allows) so I don't know anything more specific.

The Valley District should be a very competitive league this year in my opinion. Spotswood should be #1 but the rest of the teams could finish in any order I think. The only team that really graduated a lot of players was Fort so they could be down a little but Coach Leonard seems to always find a way. Everyone else brings back nearly all starters. Its a great district to watch I think with a lot of great rivalries and the coaching in the league may be the best in the state when you look at all teams from top to bottom. Should be an exciting season!

Agreed on Spotswood, but they'll lose some games in season this year. They lost a lot last year in terms of impact talent and they don't have a whole lot of quality replacements on the way unless more Harrisonburg players transfer over (which I don't think they will now with Burgess on board).

Speaking of Harrisonburg, they should be much improved this season with Burgess at the helm. So much talent on that squad in addition to a transfer from Orange County who is likely to start and possibly be their best player. They're balanced and young with a lot of experience.

I think the real dark horse is R.E. Lee. Darius George is the best player in the old Valley District. He's an absolute monster and has a ton of athleticism around him. I expect it to be a fight at the top between Spotswood and Lee with Harrisonburg and Waynesboro behind them. After that, TA, Broadway, and Fort should be at the bottom. Anything is possible in this district, though. Every year I think Fort will underproduce and they somehow perform.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT