ADVERTISEMENT

East Games Week 9 - only three regular season games left...

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
East Games -

Rappahannock at 2A Washington & Lee (the Eagles may take some serious revenge here for earlier big loss to the Raiders)

2A King William at Middlesex - KW playing better lately.

William Campbell at Altavista (11 v 3 in East) - A Town may place WC's playoff chances on the edge...

Central L (4th) at 2A Goochland (2nd in 2A East) - Dogs should give Lunenburg 2nd loss.

6th Luray at 2A East Rock - thoughts on who should win this one?

Quantico (#1 in small private schools at 7-0) at Northampton (13th) - interesting match here

(10th) Lancaster at (9th) Essex

(the Trojans may take out some frustrations after big CB upset, CB win ended Essex's 22 game NND winning streak according to Rapp Times)

7th Colonial Beach at 8th Northumberland -

CB is heavily favored over NHS as they should be after defeating the Trojans at Essex last week. CB is coached very well and plays a smart, disciplined, tough, methodical style just like the good Western teams I would guess, maybe like a Hurley for example or a Riverheads, but a smaller school) The Drifters have not only the great Lamar Lucas, but two other good backs. You never know where its going...

2A Wilson at #1 Riverheads - should be another blowout victory for the Gladiators

Charles City at King & Queen - as Dre predicted, CC is rolling now.

Mathews at West Point - both teams fighting to be .500 and maybe sneak in to the playoffs.

5th Franklin at 2A Greensville

12th Surry at 3A Park View (this game should help those fighting for a playoff spot)

2A Brunswick at #2 Sussex

Windsor at 3A Southampton

East Games -

Rappahannock at 2A Washington & Lee (the Eagles may take some serious revenge here for earlier big loss to the Raiders)

2A King William at Middlesex - KW playing better lately.

William Campbell at Altavista (11 v 3 in East) - A Town may place WC's playoff chances on the edge...

Central L (4th) at 2A Goochland (2nd in 2A East) - Dogs should give Lunenburg 2nd loss.

6th Luray at 2A East Rock - thoughts on who should win this one?

Quantico (#1 in small private schools at 7-0) at Northampton (13th) - interesting match here

(10th) Lancaster at (9th) Essex

(the Trojans may take out some frustrations after big CB upset, CB win ended Essex's 22 game NND winning streak according to Rapp Times)

7th Colonial Beach at 8th Northumberland -

CB is heavily favored over NHS as they should be after defeating the Trojans at Essex last week. CB is coached very well and plays a smart, disciplined, tough, methodical style just like the good Western teams I would guess, maybe like a Hurley for example or a Riverheads, but a smaller school) The Drifters have not only the great Lamar Lucas, but two other good backs. You never know where its going...

2A Wilson at #1 Riverheads - should be another blowout victory for the Gladiators

Charles City at King & Queen - as Dre predicted, CC is rolling now.

Mathews at West Point - both teams fighting to be .500 and maybe sneak in to the playoffs.

5th Franklin at 2A Greensville

12th Surry at 3A Park View (this game should help those fighting for a playoff spot)

2A Brunswick at #2 Sussex

Windsor at 3A Southampton

King & Queen plays at Charles City.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Thanks, not sure why I keep flipping the location of CC's games.

Also, Atlantic Shore Christian plays at Cumberland. Stonewall is at the Gap.

Kenston Forest at Rapp Co (3-3). Chincoteague is 6-1 and has a bye. Congrats to these small teams on their improvement.

There are a lot of games that will have an impact on who gets in and where people will sit in the playoffs. The top 6 or so will be fighting for a top 4 spot. I can't see any of the top 4 losing this week. If Luray were to lose and CB to win, CB could put themselves in the hunt for the top 4 depending on how the season rounds out.
Northumberland is slipping after their hot start, will almost certainly be a playoff team, barring the wheels falling off, but a loss this week will have them fighting to host in round 1.
Lancaster vs Essex is interesting, a Lancaster loss would have them fighting for a spot to get in while probably virtually locking Essex into the field of 12.
William Campbell and Surry may fall this week, although neither loss will completely destroy their playoff hopes, as if you are going to lose it is better to lose to a team that is probably going to win 8 games or to lose to a team that is 2 classes above you.
Northampton could push back into the field of 12 with a win, but could find themselves way out with little chance to get back with another loss.
All of the commotion from the 8-13 teams could open the door for Charles City and the Mathews/West Point winner to slide into the top 12 or at least give their kids a fighting chance in the final 2 weeks.

This part of the season is always fun to see who does what they need to do to get in and to see potential match ups as things clear up each week!

Reactions: uvacavs1
For the first time this entire season WP will have all their starters. Albeit the starters include freshman lb, a spohmore lb, and 2 junior lbs. They only start 1-2 seniors on offense as well as the defense. I look for them to have an impressive finish to the season.

There are a lot of games that will have an impact on who gets in and where people will sit in the playoffs. The top 6 or so will be fighting for a top 4 spot. I can't see any of the top 4 losing this week. If Luray were to lose and CB to win, CB could put themselves in the hunt for the top 4 depending on how the season rounds out.
Northumberland is slipping after their hot start, will almost certainly be a playoff team, barring the wheels falling off, but a loss this week will have them fighting to host in round 1.
Lancaster vs Essex is interesting, a Lancaster loss would have them fighting for a spot to get in while probably virtually locking Essex into the field of 12.
William Campbell and Surry may fall this week, although neither loss will completely destroy their playoff hopes, as if you are going to lose it is better to lose to a team that is probably going to win 8 games or to lose to a team that is 2 classes above you.
Northampton could push back into the field of 12 with a win, but could find themselves way out with little chance to get back with another loss.
All of the commotion from the 8-13 teams could open the door for Charles City and the Mathews/West Point winner to slide into the top 12 or at least give their kids a fighting chance in the final 2 weeks.

This part of the season is always fun to see who does what they need to do to get in and to see potential match ups as things clear up each week!

Well said HighestPoint.

I would, however, disagree about all top 4 east seeds winning this weekend.

East #4 Central Lunenburg should fall at Goochland I would certainly think. Goochland is currently the #2 East 2A seed at 8-0. The Dogs are the best team imo in 2A East over Stuarts Draft. Also, I would rank them a little higher in the Top Ten. Not sure if all 4 of those West 2A teams are better than Goochland.

I tend to wonder if the Va Preps top 10 polls voters are mainly based in the West (and therefore a tad biased, it seems).

Also, I would expect 1A #1 Riverheads will soon defeat Stuarts Draft (nothing against SD).

Goochland is very legit. They aren't fancy and don't rely on one particular back out of their wing t and their defense is physical and will smack you in the mouth. I know the West has some good teams in 2A but I would not sleep on Goochland. I lived in Goochland for 2 years and coached a lot of the kids who are sophomores and juniors and had a very successful team playing mostly Richmond area teams winning the division and making the final four one year. Also several of these kids played on Goochland youth baseball teams that made the Dixie Youth World Series on 3 different occasions. Definitely some hard nosed kids that won't back down

Well said HighestPoint.

East #4 Central Lunenburg should fall at Goochland I would certainly think. Goochland is currently the #2 East 2A seed at 8-0. The Dogs are the best team imo in 2A East over Stuarts Draft. Also, I would rank them a little higher in the Top Ten. Not sure if all 4 of those West 2A teams are better than Goochland.

I tend to wonder if the Va Preps top 10 polls voters are mainly based in the West (and therefore a tad biased, it seems).

Also, I would expect 1A #1 Riverheads will soon defeat Stuarts Draft (nothing against SD).

Now you have gone and hurt my feelings since I'm from sd. Just kidding, I won't predict a winner or say who is better because I certainly don't know, but should be interesting

Reactions: TIGER...NATION
Goochland is very legit. They aren't fancy and don't rely on one particular back out of their wing t and their defense is physical and will smack you in the mouth. I know the West has some good teams in 2A but I would not sleep on Goochland. I lived in Goochland for 2 years and coached a lot of the kids who are sophomores and juniors and had a very successful team playing mostly Richmond area teams winning the division and making the final four one year. Also several of these kids played on Goochland youth baseball teams that made the Dixie Youth World Series on 3 different occasions. Definitely some hard nosed kids that won't back down
What's going on with the program out in King William? I haven't seen them play since they came down here in 2011 for that game that ended in a goal line stand. That team was legit, one of the best spread teams I've ever seen in single A.

What's going on with the program out in King William? I haven't seen them play since they came down here in 2011 for that game that ended in a goal line stand. That team was legit, one of the best spread teams I've ever seen in single A.
Lost a lot of speed and talent over the years, and I might be wrong but I don't think the JV team has won a game this year.

Honestly bud despite my name on here I don't really follow the KW program much at the moment. I've had this name since I joined Preps back in 06 and didn't want to change it. The only time I've seen KW play in the last 3 years was when they played Essex. I still live in the community and have friends whose kids are on the team and I will always support the kids and bleed black and gold. Won't go into anymore than that though as far as my personal opinion. I do know this years team is very young overall with only like 7 seniors. They still play hard and will more than likely when the district again. The KW youth program is very talented with great players at every level. The 10u team is the two time defending Metro champs and are currently undefeated this year as well. The 12u team which I coached for 3 years has a lot of talent as well and those kids will be on jv next year so the talent pool for the future is definitely there.

Well said HighestPoint.

I agree with you there. I missed that one. Looking into it, I see that Central Lunenburg has only beat Goochland once (2013: 14-7) in their last 10 meetings. It does look like it is always a close/competitive game looking at the scores. Hopefully for those in attendance it will be another good game.

Side note: I see that in 1999 Lunenburg beat Goochland 81-40. Wow, that's wild.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT