ADVERTISEMENT

East Rock vs. Central-Woodstock

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
At the end of last year, Central had an earlier than expected playoff exit. However, with returning just about the whole team, a trip to Salem seemed inevitable this season.

But then in 2018, Central has not played like the juggernaut most expected. I know that statement sounds odd for a one loss team who will be playing in the Region final. But they lost to Riverheads, trailed a 3 win team (Madison) at the half, had to hang on v. Clarke and looked less strong than expected v. Strasburg. They certainly don’t appear to have built on the 2017 season; may have regressed some.

On the other hand, East Rock has looked and played the part of a front runner this year. I think they have done exactly what a talented and senior laden squad should do; improve throughout the year. After seeing them early, I thought their Achilles heel would be the defense. But they made adjustments and improved; ie shut out of Riverheads and dismantling of GAP in the rematch.

I believe these teams are fairly even talent wise. ER just passes the eye test with the way their season has evolved.

I expect a close game that ER pulls out in the end.

First off let me say I don’t have a dog in this fight. My interest is purely as a high school football fan.

With that being said, I saw both teams earlier in the year. When I saw central I thought exactly what you just stated. They have pretty much everyone back, but they did not appear nearly as dangerous a team as last year. I wondered if it was just lack of motivation in the game I saw but their scores throughout the season didn’t seem that great against teams I had also watched.

I’ve been impressed with east rock each time I’ve seen them. I believe they understand how much of a special year this can be for them. They’ve been very impressive, but as you know no team is unbeatable.

I think it should be a good game early but I will be shocked if east rock doesn’t pull away and win by at least 14 in the end. Of course this all depends on whether both teams key players stay healthy throughout the contest and if turnovers are a factor. Based on what I’ve seen, east rock is the better team. This is high school ball, if central can get Clanton loose and get him the ball they could cause some problems. But I do believe east rock is much better up front on both sides of the ball and I think that will show.

Two very good teams, with two very good coaches. Hope it’s a great game.

Reactions: southerntester
At the end of last year, Central had an earlier than expected playoff exit. However, with returning just about the whole team, a trip to Salem seemed inevitable this season.

But then in 2018, Central has not played like the juggernaut most expected. I know that statement sounds odd for a one loss team who will be playing in the Region final. But they lost to Riverheads, trailed a 3 win team (Madison) at the half, had to hang on v. Clarke and looked less strong than expected v. Strasburg. They certainly don’t appear to have built on the 2017 season; may have regressed some.

On the other hand, East Rock has looked and played the part of a front runner this year. I think they have done exactly what a talented and senior laden squad should do; improve throughout the year. After seeing them early, I thought their Achilles heel would be the defense. But they made adjustments and improved; ie shut out of Riverheads and dismantling of GAP in the rematch.

I believe these teams are fairly even talent wise. ER just passes the eye test with the way their season has evolved.

I expect a close game that ER pulls out in the end.
I agree with your assessment,I saw them both play and I believe ER wins by 2 scores.

Reactions: southerntester
Central is good but not as good as last year. In my humble opinion they really really miss the inside linebacker (Bryan Davis) and the other receiver (Varsey Bright) who both graduated. They both were studs on both sides of the ball. I don't think anyone realized how much they would miss both at the start of the year but after seeing them live and watching how the year has evolved they are missed greatly. Hope it's a great game tomorrow. Good luck to both as I have no rooting interest either way.

Central is good but not as good as last year. In my humble opinion they really really miss the inside linebacker (Bryan Davis) and the other receiver (Varsey Bright) who both graduated. They both were studs on both sides of the ball. I don't think anyone realized how much they would miss both at the start of the year but after seeing them live and watching how the year has evolved they are missed greatly. Hope it's a great game tomorrow. Good luck to both as I have no rooting interest either way.
No interest either way? Your screen name would suggest otherwise...unless you are allowing for ERs entry to the BRD next season ;).

Just kidding my man! Happy Thanksgiving!

Reactions: BullRunFootball
I would have to agree with my fellow Gladiator on this one. East Rock was a well-oiled machine that night and did not let Riverheads even get INTO the game, much less have a chance to win it. Central started out strong with the two quick scores, but once the Gladiators took control, they folded, committed a number of turnovers and even forgot how to tackle. I might not go as high as fencepatrol's 28 point margin, but ER wins by at least 14 and probably more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT