ADVERTISEMENT

East vs West

I really don't know if there's anyone out there that's seen the teams from both sides play. If so, I'd like some input as well. I feel like Lee and Madison will give anyone fits....And possibly even Amelia County. Lees size is what will be the big factor that will give most teams fits with whoever plays them. But a team with great guard play that plays some defense and really crashes the boards will have a good chance to nullify their size advantage. Guards will have to win games against them. I really don't know all that much about Madison and Amelia. Amelia somehow managed to slip into the post season with hardly anyone even talking about them.

Madison has tremendous guards. I have yet to see anyone who can stay in front of PG Isiah Smith and SG Gaines Swink has both range and is fearless when in the lane.

Reactions: AntGZee
I really don't know if there's anyone out there that's seen the teams from both sides play. If so, I'd like some input as well. I feel like Lee and Madison will give anyone fits....And possibly even Amelia County. Lees size is what will be the big factor that will give most teams fits with whoever plays them. But a team with great guard play that plays some defense and really crashes the boards will have a good chance to nullify their size advantage. Guards will have to win games against them. I really don't know all that much about Madison and Amelia. Amelia somehow managed to slip into the post season with hardly anyone even talking about them.
As a Lee fan, a team with great guard play and even just a little size worries me a bit right now. Heck, even a team with no size and great guard play worries me. Its win or go home now

As a GC fan, any team thats scrappy and rebounds the ball well and are really productive on offense worries me. GC can play defense/rebound....But I've only seen it a couple times this year. It seems as if they'd rather get into an offensive shootout as opposed to trying to make a stop on defense.

Amelia is good team, Richmond Times Dispatch gives them no love even though they are next door to Chesterfield County. Good guard play for the Raiders.

I believe a team that no-one is picking, will cut down the nets.

There's really only 2 teams that I feel like don't have a chance to win it all....And that's Bruton and Chatham. All the other teams I think anyone could win it on any given night.
I have major love for the Chatham coaching staff but I really think Madison will give them fits since they are press heavy. I hope I'm wrong but I will be realistic. Madison is looking like they are destined to play in the state championship. Bruton will more than likely have a lopsided loss as well. Dan River will go into the semi's easily.

DSH, you may be rite. GC will give Lee fits cuz Lee has trouble with aggressive guards. Martin and Pettway abused the Lee guards earlier in the season. Who knows, maybe Lee makes game time adjustments.....We'll see if Lee's sz or GC guards prevails.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I agree....I think Madison plays against Amelia in the semis and it's Madison headed to the title on that side of the bracket. I really have no clue who ends up making it on the other side. I think GC, DR, and Lee are very close to one another. Just depends on which teams show up to play each night. But I think DR rolls in their first matchup. I feel like whoever wins between Lee and GC might use up alot of the gas in the tank to prevail through the qtr final matchup and not be completely ready for the battle against DR in the Semis. Perks of being the #1 seed....They earned the slightly easier path to the title.

I wish I could be there to see those games. I'll be in Salem to watch 4A. Those of you that haven't seen Megan Walker play, you're missing one of the best to lace them up, from the Old Dominion State. The boys 4A will be entertaining as well.

If Lee players let's the opposing crowd get under their skin and they respond to them during the game it could get real interesting this Friday (Just what I heard that happened during Lees game against Madison). GC normally brings a pretty big crowd and make alot of noise. I think it will be well worth the price of admission just to see the GC/Lee game. Hope all sorts of people show up whether or not their teams are still in it.....Pack the house and make it an awesome environment for some ball.

I wish I could be there to see those games. I'll be in Salem to watch 4A. Those of you that haven't seen Megan Walker play, you're missing one of the best to lace them up, from the Old Dominion State. The boys 4A will be entertaining as well.
I'll be there Friday afternoon Ant and if GW wins, Saturday too pending we don't go to the Dan River game. Would be nice to meet you.

Indeed DSH. It would be nice to meet you as well. It will be hard for me talk cuz my throat has been bothering me big time. We mos def can greet one another with a brotherly hand shake.

Indeed DSH. It would be nice to meet you as well. It will be hard for me talk cuz my throat has been bothering me big time. We mos def can greet one another with a brotherly hand shake.
Sounds good to me brother! I'll probably miss the first half of the Fleming/Jamestown game because I'm driving from Richmond to Danville to get my pops to Roanoke but I'll be there for sure. Looking forward to a great weekend of hoops!

Anyone have any highlights of the Lee vs East Rock or the Lee vs Madison games? All I can find is short clips of some of the slams Darius has made over the course of the season.

Appreciate it! It's hard to make judgements of of such short highlights....but those Madison boys seem to be relentless. Just from the video it looks like they have more than 3 or 4 good players....They are stacked with solid guard play.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video - I didn't realize that Lee had a wide open 3 for the win and the guy shot an air ball.

I know it's just a short video, but Madison seemed more enthused and pumped up during the game - Lee looked like they were just going through the motions.

I sure would like to see a rematch, but that's a long shot right now.

I plan to hit as many games as I can this weekend. Even though my team is 1-A and out of the running, I am taking advantage of the 2-A games being held close to me. I just hope I see some good games as opposed to a lot of blowouts. If my schedule allows, I expect to see all four boys games on Friday and either 3 or 4 of the semi-final games on Saturday. I will then hit Richmond as I usually do on Thursday the 9th for the 1-A and 2-A finals.

To answer someone's question, I attended the Lee/East Rock game and it was a war that went right down to the final few seconds, despite the six-point final margin. East Rock had a ten-point lead with about a minute to go in the third and seemed ready to take control, but Lee hit a lay-up and then a three at the buzzer and cut the lead in half in a matter of just a few seconds. They then came back to take charge in the fourth.

From just that one game, I came away impressed as much with Vaughan as I was with George. At 6'7" and 6'8", that is a heck of a double whammy for anyone to contend with.

I then read about Amelia taking Madison into overtime and then actually beating East Rock, so that made me take them seriously as well. Between those three teams and Dan River, I think it will be a wild weekend. And I don't know enough about the others to know if they should be thrown in that mix.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT