ADVERTISEMENT

EC Glass’s Holden Ayers

Great thing when anyone gets a full ride offer, especially to a prestigious school such as VMI. Congrats to Holden.
It is a great accomplishment indeed! VMI is Ayers' 4th Division 1 offer. The great thing about Division 1 offers is that they are all "full ride." There are some "Division 1" programs that are "need based" so they don't give full athletic scholarships but they can create a very strong financial package if the student displays financial need. It's mostly schools in the Ivy, Patriot, and Pioneer leagues that do this.

Last edited:
It is a great accomplishment indeed! VMI is Ayers' 4th Division 1 offer. The great thing about Division 1 offers is that they are all "full ride." There are some "Division 1" programs that are "need based" so they don't give full athletic scholarships unless the student displays full financial need.
And the VMI Alumni support is 2nd to none.

It is a great accomplishment indeed! VMI is Ayers' 4th Division 1 offer. The great thing about Division 1 offers is that they are all "full ride." There are some "Division 1" programs that are "need based" so they don't give full athletic scholarships but they can create a very strong financial package f the student displays financial need. It's mostly schools in the Ivy, Patriot, and Pioneer leagues.
Appreciate you sharing this. I didn’t know that. I will share it with my young men at school.

Reactions: VolNation85
It is a great accomplishment indeed! VMI is Ayers' 4th Division 1 offer. The great thing about Division 1 offers is that they are all "full ride." There are some "Division 1" programs that are "need based" so they don't give full athletic scholarships but they can create a very strong financial package if the student displays financial need. It's mostly schools in the Ivy, Patriot, and Pioneer leagues that do this.
Great info to share Vol. One caveat, unless the NCAA regs have changed...FBS/I-A only gives "full rides" for football/athletic scholarships, but FCS/I-AA is allowed to give 1/2 scholarships. I believe the Babcock kid who signed with W&M from Blacksburg last year was offered a half, for example.

Great info to share Vol. One caveat, unless the NCAA regs have changed...FBS/I-A only gives "full rides" for football/athletic scholarships, but FCS/I-AA is allowed to give 1/2 scholarships. I believe the Babcock kid who signed with W&M from Blacksburg last year was offered a half, for example.
I’m pretty sure FCS offers full too unless it is a Preferred Walk On spot. Then it can be minimized.

Reactions: Tribe OL 95
I think we are pretty much saying the same thing different ways. I-AA/FCS offers from the major players at that level tend to be "full-rides" - I am just saying it used to be the case (and I think it still is) that I-A/FBS didn't have the flexibility to offer anything other than a full-ride, while I-AA/FCS schools could offer partial scholarships.
At either level, PWO = zero athletic aid, but possible aid based on financial need or academic merit.

https://www.ncsasports.org/football/scholarships
How many scholarships do Division 1 football teams get?

Division 1 FBS teams can give out a maximum of 85 full-ride scholarships to athletes. Division 1 FCS programs can provide a maximum of 63 total scholarships. The 85 FBS scholarships are headcount scholarships, which means every athlete who receives a scholarship at the DI FBS level gets a full-ride scholarship. The 63 FCS scholarships are equivalency scholarships. This means a coach can divide these scholarships up, giving more athletes partial scholarships.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT