ADVERTISEMENT

Essex vs Riverheads best matchup in 10 years for 1A

trutiger16

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Jun 10, 2014
This one will be a classic. I’m rolling with Region B . Riverheads 28 Essex 24 . The ground game of the Gladiators will be there best defense to keep Essex offense off the field .

This one will be a classic. I’m rolling with Region B . Riverheads 28 Essex 24 . The ground game of the Gladiators will be there best defense to keep Essex offense off the field .
Not taking anything away from Essex but they played a weaker schedule than Central Lunenburg, they lost by 44 to RHS last year, they have basically the same team as last year as does RHS. Just dont see them making up the 6 TD difference. IMO Riverheads played their best game of the season Fri, if they can duplicate that they win by 3+ TDs. 42-19

There's a few new faces for the Trojans that have made a huge impact this year on both sides of the ball. Sussex is the only mutual opponent this year, trutiger I'm assuming watched both games and could give the best assessment.

There's a few new faces for the Trojans that have made a huge impact this year on both sides of the ball. Sussex is the only mutual opponent this year, trutiger I'm assuming watched both games and could give the best assessment.
That’s exactly where I’m at. Essex is loaded on offense with a good defense not great , Essex has a tendency to play with pure athleticism on defense and not within the system , a systematic approach is what is needed versus Riverheads , ( don’t let all the moving parts fool you ) you must be disciplined for 4 quarters in your system. Essex should line up in the 44 on defense to maximize LB play and use those huge front 4 to stymie the offensive line of the Gladiators. Remember Riverheads is ok with 3 yards a carry to wear you down CCC can score from anywhere on the field . Gonna be slobber knocker . Strap up tight to both programs !

Great assessment and I respect your opinion! Although I do disagree with you on the defense. Essex hasn't allowed more then 100 points all season, averaging 7 points a game. The defense carries this team. They don't have the size like previous years, however they are faster and stronger then ever and disciplined.

I'm sure both teams have not had their first teamers on the field for an entire 48 minutes in most games. I do know that Essex has probably had their first team on the field for just one game, the win over King William. In several instances, their first team played just the 1st half.
Could be problem mentally and physically if Essex has to play a 4 quarter game as we all expect.

Great assessment and I respect your opinion! Although I do disagree with you on the defense. Essex hasn't allowed more then 100 points all season, averaging 7 points a game. The defense carries this team. They don't have the size like previous years, however they are faster and stronger then ever and disciplined.
Throw the regular season stats out the window for this game , the numbers mean nothing. It’s iron vs iron which iron wears down 1st ?

Lunenberg Central played a better schedule than Essex? Someone wrote Central played a tougher schedule than Essex?

Central's opponents records were 37 wins and 63 losses in the 10 game regular season and they played 1 team with a winning record in regular season.

Essex opponents records, 45-55. Essex played 4 teams in regular season with winning records.

Central Lunenburg:
Altavista (1-9): 18
Mecklenburg (3-7): 28
Brunswick (5-5): 28
William Campbell (3-7): 22
Randolph Henry (5-5): 28
Nottoway (4-6): 26
Cumberland (0-10): 16
Prince Edward (5-5): 28
Buckingham (8-2): 34
Amelia (5-5): 28

256 Total Points (10 games)

Essex:
Sussex Central (6-4): 28
Jamestown (0-10): 22
King William (7-3): 32
Franklin (4-6): 24
King Queen (8-2): 32
Northumberland (7-2): 30
Colonial Beach (1-9): 18
Lancaster (1-9): 18
Westmoreland (4-5): 24
Rappahannock (5-5): 26

254 Total (10 games)

Again, the difference is 1a vs. 2a schedule.

So while Essex played 4 teams with winning records, 1 of them was 2a. And while Central played one team with a winning record, 4 were 5-5. So each team played 5 each that weren't losing records. The rating points for those 5 games:

Essex: 148
Central: 146

So Essex had a 1 win advantage there Rating wise.

That leaves:

Essex: Jamestown, Franklin, Colonial Beach, Lancaster, and Westmoreland

Central: Altavista, Mecklenburg, William Campbell, Nottoway, Cumberland

Essex gets another 2 point advantage for Colonial Beach/Lancaster vs. Altavista/Cumberland

Each played a 4a team, and that is the single game that shifted the points. Mecklenburg +6 vs. Jamestown.

Not taking anything away from Essex but they played a weaker schedule than Central Lunenburg, they lost by 44 to RHS last year, they have basically the same team as last year as does RHS. Just dont see them making up the 6 TD difference. IMO Riverheads played their best game of the season Fri, if they can duplicate that they win by 3+ TDs. 42-19
After not playing a year due to covid, last years Essex team only had 5 players with varsity experience. They were a pretty young team. I may be off a tiny bit with these numbers, but there were about 5-6 seniors on the team last year with 2-3 being starters. They stated last year trying to figure out who was going to play where. They played their 1st game without playing any scrimmages. Two games into the season, Covid hit the team and shut things down for about a week and a half. Missed the King William game and later the Northumberland game. They finished the regular season with only having played 7 games. It wasn’t til about the last 2 games that them started to get in some type of groove. Fast forward to this year. Essex has improved greatly over last years squad. All of those young players from last year are experienced now. Looking forward to a good game.

If Riverheads has ANOTHER game without penalties I gotta go with Riverheads 28 Essex 22. IF Riverheads somehow gets penalties especially on offense and is behind the sticks and has to throw it can get ugly. Maybe Essex 42 Riverheads 14. Essex is more than just Kam Robinson, they are loaded with athletes on both sides of the ball.

Essex is much improved and I believe they are the best team in 1A. They play great defense and can be explosive on offense. They’ll need to get off to an early start and not let up all game. They have a different mind set this season, they’re a family out there and they’ve played like they have nothing to lose all year long. I have Essex winning by 2 scores. 34-24. Kam Robinson slows down CCC and Essex athletes being athletes on offense.

I see that the banter has already begun and we wouldn't have it any other way! The best news I can think of to start my post is to tell you that as of the moment, the weatherman is promising us sunshine and mid to upper 50s. Considering what we have sometimes had to endure in December, I am sure we will all take that and be grateful.

My first comment this morning is to thank Fence Patrol for his very accurate information about the difficulty of Riverheads' schedule. I will not rehash his review of the situation but if anyone out there thinks the Big Red has played a bunch of weak teams this year, you are very much mistaken.

In fact to add to what he outlined, I would point out that in the Lord Botetourt game, CCC scored from about 65 yards out within the first two minutes of the game. He was then injured early in the second quarter and never returned. Granted, the world of football is very much a "what if" affair, but I for one would have been very curious to see if LB would have been able to make adjustments and stop him after that first TD and if so, then they likely would have still won.

But if that first run was an indication that the Cavaliers were NOT going to have an answer for him that night, then RHS might very well have been able to match them score for score and might have possibly pulled out the win, which would mean that they too would be unbeaten at this point. However also remember as I pointed out in my recap that night, injuries happen in football and the exact same thing had happened to LB the year before, which may or may not have contributed to Riverheads winning that night.

But that was then and this is now. So at the risk of oversimplifying Saturday's game, it will come down to two questions, or maybe a combination of the two. 1) Is this really Essex' best team ever and are they capable of running over any team that gets in their way? and 2) Has this really been a down year for Riverheads as we have even heard from some of our own fans and if so, can they be beaten on the 1-A level?

If your answer is yes to one or both of those questions, then Essex will finally snap its four-game losing streak to Riverheads and the Trojans will be headed for Salem. But if you say "not so fast" to either or both questions, then RHS will head down 81 next week, going for State Title Number Ten.

I will let the Essex supporters continue to make their case for the Trojans, but on the Riverheads side, I will again touch upon the legitimacy of their schedule and their tradition come playoff time. Not only are they unbeaten against Essex, but to the best of my recollection, they have never lost to ANY Region A team on the 1-A level. (Thought I would throw in that very important detail before a KW person came on to say "Now wait a minute there..........")

So we will see what happens. As someone else has already mentioned, I do hope the issue is decided between the players on the field and not by some officiating controversy. I am sure we get outsiders at this point in the season and hopefully that will mean the best of the best.

I see that the banter has already begun and we wouldn't have it any other way! The best news I can think of to start my post is to tell you that as of the moment, the weatherman is promising us sunshine and mid to upper 50s. Considering what we have sometimes had to endure in December, I am sure we will all take that and be grateful.

My first comment this morning is to thank Fence Patrol for his very accurate information about the difficulty of Riverheads' schedule. I will not rehash his review of the situation but if anyone out there thinks the Big Red has played a bunch of weak teams this year, you are very much mistaken.

In fact to add to what he outlined, I would point out that in the Lord Botetourt game, CCC scored from about 65 yards out within the first two minutes of the game. He was then injured early in the second quarter and never returned. Granted, the world of football is very much a "what if" affair, but I for one would have been very curious to see if LB would have been able to make adjustments and stop him after that first TD and if so, then they likely would have still won.

But if that first run was an indication that the Cavaliers were NOT going to have an answer for him that night, then RHS might very well have been able to match them score for score and might have possibly pulled out the win, which would mean that they too would be unbeaten at this point. However also remember as I pointed out in my recap that night, injuries happen in football and the exact same thing had happened to LB the year before, which may or may not have contributed to Riverheads winning that night.

But that was then and this is now. So at the risk of oversimplifying Saturday's game, it will come down to two questions, or maybe a combination of the two. 1) Is this really Essex' best team ever and are they capable of running over any team that gets in their way? and 2) Has this really been a down year for Riverheads as we have even heard from some of our own fans and if so, can they be beaten on the 1-A level?

If your answer is yes to one or both of those questions, then Essex will finally snap its four-game losing streak to Riverheads and the Trojans will be headed for Salem. But if you say "not so fast" to either or both questions, then RHS will head down 81 next week, going for State Title Number Ten.

I will let the Essex supporters continue to make their case for the Trojans, but on the Riverheads side, I will again touch upon the legitimacy of their schedule and their tradition come playoff time. Not only are they unbeaten against Essex, but to the best of my recollection, they have never lost to ANY Region A team on the 1-A level. (Thought I would throw in that very important detail before a KW person came on to say "Now wait a minute there..........")

So we will see what happens. As someone else has already mentioned, I do hope the issue is decided between the players on the field and not by some officiating controversy. I am sure we get outsiders at this point in the season and hopefully that will mean the best of the best.
Love reading your post game reviews. As for some people saying this being Essex’s best team EVER….as a Trojan, I wouldn’t say all that. I do believe this is Essex’s best team out of the previous Essex teams that have faced Riverheads.

Love reading your post game reviews. As for some people saying this being Essex’s best team EVER….as a Trojan, I wouldn’t say all that. I do believe this is Essex’s best team out of the previous Essex teams that have faced Riverheads.
Agreed. This is the best of the Essex teams during the Riverheads Era.

Essex v Altavista

The 2014 State Football Championship was the best 1A matchup during the last 10 years (so far)

You all are insane if you think that this game will not be the best in 10 years . Look at the subplots here ? Riverheads would love to close out its run in 1A with another Title . Essex has been knocking at the door for awhile , this could be the year they knock the door down. Hell Kevin Cosner should make a movie from this game lol. Folks we are in for a treat . This could be the best matchup in the State this week totally.

You all are insane if you think that this game will not be the best in 10 years . Look at the subplots here ? Riverheads would love to close out its run in 1A with another Title . Essex has been knocking at the door for awhile , this could be the year they knock the door down. Hell Kevin Cosner should make a movie from this game lol. Folks we are in for a treat . This could be the best matchup in the State this week totally.
100% agreed. This is the first year I think Essex has a legit shot. Essex vs Riverheads and Highland Springs vs Stone bridge

Reactions: uvacavs1
Get there early if u want a good parking spot, gates open at 1230 and online only no tickets sales at the gates

Reactions: trutiger16
Trojan1 is spot on with his evaluation. This is the first complete season Essex has played since 2019. I've wondered since before the season started how good this team might actually be if it had not missed out on those 10 weeks or so of training during the Spring 2021 season.

08-09 Essex Trojans in my opinion the best team from Essex although it’s not from this decade lol
Absolutely.

The 2009 Essex Trojans destroyed Radford in the title game in Salem but the real State Championship had been played the week before v Gretna in the freezing Mud Ice Bowl…

One of the Classic Goat High School games of all time…

That’s why I said that 2014 game was the best “so far” - my friend….

This one remains to be seen….

I think we are going to get a little bit of lord botetourt 2021 game from last year….All the offense focused on one man and the other back (last year was Luke Bryant) is gonna run crazy. How does Essex plan to stop Bryant and Cook Cash ?

I think we are going to get a little bit of lord botetourt 2021 game from last year….All the offense focused on one man and the other back (last year was Luke Bryant) is gonna run crazy. How does Essex plan to stop Bryant and Cook Cash ?
I don’t put it past Kamren Robinson To clamp both these guys back…. Very good on defense and has the ability to hold these guys to little if any yardage each.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT