ADVERTISEMENT

Ethan Reynolds, Chatham, commits to Ferrum

Think Clifford was a Senior last year at Ferrum. Big get for Panthers.

Set records at CHS for completions (325) yards (5,076) and TD passes (54)

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
My son plays for the Raiders and says Reynolds is a real nice kid. I thought he was a heck of a QB!

QB may be the hardest transition from HS to CFB, depending on the system, the speed of the game increases tenfold. I know nothing about the kid at all and I hope every single kid succeeds, but it can be a massive learning curve if he wasn't exposed to a pretty complex offense in high school. Does he have a big arm? Colleges love big arms lol

@iDidntGetBanned what do you think about the offense Reynolds ran at CHS? Can it translate to college? I’ll post the kid’s highlight tape for you @BigWinners. I think he has a big time arm but would be curious to see others opinion
Ethan Reynolds is a big time player. I’ll say it like this...Had Ethan and Coach Allen been at GW Danville (with the athletes that they’ve had on offense), Ethan would definitely be going to a D1 school. To do what Ethan did at Chatham is AMAZING! I don’t mean that as a slight to Chatham, I’m just stating that Ethan’s numbers would’ve been even crazier had he had a Carlos Poole (WR at Liberty Univ) or Shawn Watlington (WR at Concord Univ) to throw to. I don’t believe anyone has put up those big numbers but Vic Hall (Gretna) and Hunter Byrnes (GW) in the Danville area. I know Ethan wanted to go to Liberty and play and I believe he could play at that level. He will be a big time player for the Ferrum Panthers! As far as the offense, Coach Allen did an amazing job mixing it up. Chatham has always been limited but Coach Allen changed A LOT of things and made those guys competitive. I believe Allen was the top head coach in the area and received a raw deal. He’ll bounce back.

Reactions: lyhsports
Ethan Reynolds is a big time player. I’ll say it like this...Had Ethan and Coach Allen been at GW Danville (with the athletes that they’ve had on offense), Ethan would definitely be going to a D1 school. To do what Ethan did at Chatham is AMAZING! I don’t mean that as a slight to Chatham, I’m just stating that Ethan’s numbers would’ve been even crazier had he had a Carlos Poole (WR at Liberty Univ) or Shawn Watlington (WR at Concord Univ) to throw to. I don’t believe anyone has put up those big numbers but Vic Hall (Gretna) and Hunter Byrnes (GW) in the Danville area. I know Ethan wanted to go to Liberty and play and I believe he could play at that level. He will be a big time player for the Ferrum Panthers! As far as the offense, Coach Allen did an amazing job mixing it up. Chatham has always been limited but Coach Allen changed A LOT of things and made those guys competitive. I believe Allen was the top head coach in the area and received a raw deal. He’ll bounce back.

What was their offensive scheme? Were they a spread team with a lot of timing routes or were they more attacking vertically? Was he under center or in the gun?

I see he's listed at 6'1, 170. Is he legit 6'1? You usually want a QB that's a couple inches taller but 6'1 can still see over the line, especially if he's in the gun. The weight isn't concerning really, Ferrum will add 15-20 pounds to bulk him up some to take the physical licks he will take at the next level. Is he a pocket guy or does he run quite a bit?

What was their offensive scheme? Were they a spread team with a lot of timing routes or were they more attacking vertically? Was he under center or in the gun?
Air raid mostly. Their offense went as he went. They had some good receivers but not enough to get over the hump unfortunately. Had he been at GW or Gretna along with Allen, he would’ve broke some records with the amount of athletes they had.

Reactions: BigWinners
I see he's listed at 6'1, 170. Is he legit 6'1? You usually want a QB that's a couple inches taller but 6'1 can still see over the line, especially if he's in the gun. The weight isn't concerning really, Ferrum will add 15-20 pounds to bulk him up some to take the physical licks he will take at the next level. Is he a pocket guy or does he run quite a bit?
Dual threat but mostly pocket. He has a strong arm and accuracy. He’s one of those kids who flew under the radar.

Reactions: BigWinners

Had close to 800 yards rushing this year. Almost 100% gun. Air raid is very unique for the area in terms of spread offenses. You are probably right that the learning curve will be big, but Allen’s been quoted as that kid being the best competitor he’s ever seen including his time in college, semi pro and Buckingham high

Always thought he had a good arm and with more weapons they would have made lots of noise.
Accurate too.

I'm not a huge believer in running QBs unless they are freak athletes a la Lamar Jackson or Mike Vick, the punishment taken is INSANE after the HS level when you're no longer the best athlete on the field and LBs that weigh 240lbs are running 4.6 40s right into you. But the scheme and the style seems like he should be able to run a college offense in time. It's almost impossible to start as a frosh unless it's a very special case because as a QB, you have to master the offense inside and out. But at 6'1 with a strong arm, if the kid can learn the offense and process his reads quick, no reason why he shouldn't have a chance at succeeding.

From those highlights, his athleticism should Help him move around the pocket and evade the rush. He has a little hitch in his delivery But that can be ironed out. Lot of throws looked like his primary read but that's not uncommon at the HS level. His size isn't an issue, he looked bigger and bulkier than I thought.

good luck to him, hope he has success and accomplishes all he wants to accomplish.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT