ADVERTISEMENT

Everyone gets a trophy mentality...

Hmmm. Weird. I don’t think this exactly falls into the “everyone gets a trophy” category. This is more like...well, it’s hard to say just what this is. Just from this one article, this sounds like a case of, “Administrators want coach gone, for unknown reasons.” Sounds like the AD and principal both handled this completely wrong. First, what constitutes running up the score is completely subjective. In this case, even the opposing coach didn’t feel as if the score was being run up. Running up the score is essentially nothing more than poor sportsmanship. If the administration felt like their coach was guilty of poor sportsmanship, I would think the way to handle that would be a conversation soon after the game, or on Monday morning. Then, if the coach in question continues to run up the score - again, hard to prove - well then there’d be an issue. Still hard to believe someone would be suspended or fired just for that alone. As hard as it is to find people willing to put in the time and energy to be a head coach these days, it’s difficult for me to believe that AD and principal would fire this guy just because they thought he was exhibiting poor sportsmanship. I think there has to be something more going on here between the persons involved than meets the eye. Unless that administration is just idiots, which is possible.

The coach did resign, so if he would have been fired or not remains unclear.

Reactions: gwb16
I can't help but wonder what the Administration thought about the two thrashings they took. They were 3-2. Their 2 losses were really lopsided. Obviously, the entire story isn't being told.
As I've always said, every story has 3 sides, yours, theirs and the truth.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
But I agree with the coach, I'm NOT telling my 2nd and 3rd string kids to lay down. They bust their butts every day at practice. You let them play. 2 defensive TDs and Special Teams TD. Admin is out of place IMHO. At that point, it's obviously a personal issue.

But I agree with the coach, I'm NOT telling my 2nd and 3rd string kids to lay down. They bust their butts every day at practice. You let them play. 2 defensive TDs and Special Teams TD. Admin is out of place IMHO. At that point, it's obviously a personal issue.

“But I agree with the coach, I'm NOT telling my 2nd and 3rd string kids to lay down.”

Yeah, no way does a coach do that. If a head coach can’t keep from getting his butt kicked by the other team’s 2s and 3s, that’s on him. And the coach for Copper Canyon (the opponent in the game in question) said as much. Yep - something else going on with this crew.

Reactions: WP02alum and gwb16
My thoughts:

- There's no way this was the reason he was pushed out

- You absolutely can get your 2nd/3rd string in, have them play tough, and still not have them score. I watched Salem go up 77-7 at half and they barely moved the ball in the 2nd half. Even HS kids have a sense of decorum to them if they're coached properly. I'm not saying you have to do so but it's really not that hard to not score either, unless it's something like a pick-6 or return TD.

- The mercy rule has been in place in tons of youth and HS sports for literally decades, quit acting like this is all some culture shock. Those rules in and of themselves are more insulting to kids than the scoreboard.

Last edited:
How about the coach definitely pissed off his bosses in some other way and they used the opportunity to can him?

But yeah, it’s about everyone being too soft. Because back in my day, we were so tough! And let’s definitely ignore that “my” generation is the one that raised these “soft kids”.

Either everyone’s soft and your generation is to blame as horrible parents or your POV lacks credibility.

How about the coach definitely pissed off his bosses in some other way and they used the opportunity to can him?

But yeah, it’s about everyone being too soft. Because back in my day, we were so tough! And let’s definitely ignore that “my” generation is the one that raised these “soft kids”.

Either everyone’s soft and your generation is to blame as horrible parents or your POV lacks credibility.

It's always easier to blame someone else than it is to take responsibility. Especially so in today's environment. Only one subsection is allowed to be "offended", anyone else opposing is ostracized, muted, squelched, labeled and shamed.

The coach clearly stated that he stepped down because he couldn't coach for an Administration that wasn't willing to stand behind him. I do believe there is much more to the story than being told. Your 2's and 3's have a pick 6 and return a fumble for a TD and have a special teams return for a TD. The math just isn't adding up.

Either way....Admin will most likely have a difficult time finding quality applicants willing to apply for that vacancy. Unless he already has someone waiting in the shadows to take over.

Reactions: mmqp
and exactly what subsection would that be?

It's always easier to blame someone else than it is to take responsibility. Especially so in today's environment. Only one subsection is allowed to be "offended", anyone else opposing is ostracized, muted, squelched, labeled and shamed.

The coach clearly stated that he stepped down because he couldn't coach for an Administration that wasn't willing to stand behind him. I do believe there is much more to the story than being told. Your 2's and 3's have a pick 6 and return a fumble for a TD and have a special teams return for a TD. The math just isn't adding up.

Either way....Admin will most likely have a difficult time finding quality applicants willing to apply for that vacancy. Unless he already has someone waiting in the shadows to take over.

How does your first sentence relate to my post? Honest question.

And for the record, I agree that any administrator telling a coach “no more scoring” is a chump. I just don’t understand this extra conversation that’s a long jump from anything about this story. It sounds like “old man yells at clouds” mixed with angry Facebook ranting.

How does your first sentence relate to my post? Honest question.
You wanted to bring up the "generational discussion" previously hashed over in another post. Or so it appeared. I may I have misread. If so, my apologies. But nonetheless, the show still fits. It's easier to point the finger of blame these days than it is to own up.

and exactly what subsection would that be?
I don't think that needs any further explanation or discussion. You wouldn't be asking if you didn't already know.

You wanted to bring up the "generational discussion" previously hashed over in another post. Or so it appeared. I may I have misread. If so, my apologies. But nonetheless, the show still fits. It's easier to point the finger of blame these days than it is to own up.

Eh, I’m all about personal responsibility. I just get a little annoyed at older generations pretending like the current younger generation isn’t a direct result of their own parenting or lack-of. That was my only point, really.

If find it hard to believe the players for the losing team cared a fraction as much as the parents and admin did about the final score.

Just more helicopter parents and far left (sorry Mike but it's the truth) school admins getting in the way and trying to push their idealist nonsense down everyones throats.

Reactions: falcettik and gwb16

It actually is because of us “soft parents” most us here played, some of us coached, I’m sure I’ve played against some of you, some of us parents, NOT ALL OF US and taught our kids to be tough on the field and off. Then some of us have babied our child to the point where we teach our kids we want a water break after 8 minutes of practice (ridiculous).

IMO the reason why kids are “soft” now a days is because of social media, think about it, lil johnnie plays youth league, all over Twitter and insta, good player in youth ball, but when he gets to school ball he just doesn’t have it, maybe a step slow, maybe a lil under weight for the school game, well lil johnnies parents complain to the coach and throw a fit because johnnie isn’t getting the time, coach explains the reason for johnnie not getting playing time is because he is a step slow. Well parents get all pissed off show off his highlights on insta of some plays he made in youth ball and just swears that johnnie is the next D1 prospect coming out. But johnnies coach doesn’t agree. So then parents get on social media, put the coAch on blast because the parents don’t agree with the coach. Other parents see it, johnnies friends see it and all agree with johnnies parents. They make comments online saying “Don’t worry Johnnies parents, come on over to Barn Farm high and johnnie will get his minutes in game, that’s how we do round here”

Back in the day, this would be unheard of, sure may have had some parents complain about coaches, but it wouldn’t get out of hand like it is now. Back in the day, a kid would suck it up and fix what was wrong with his game and bust his/her ass to make it happen. In the present time, a lot of kids (NOT ALL) because they are “soft” believe they don’t think they have to work as hard because daddy, their best buddies, say your way too good, your gonna be star. Which is bullshit most of the time because we aren’t aloud to hurt peoples feelings anymore.

If I had a nickel for every time my Dad, or coach, told me “your effort sucks” or “you just don’t have it” or “your too damn slow” I would be pretty wealthy. But now if you say that to a kid, people get social media, bash the coach, or parent, the kid involved sees it and thinks, “no way coach is right, I’m good cause my mommy has always told me so, no one has ever told me different.

Crazy world we live in today and it’s getting worse

thanks for the read

It actually is because of us “soft parents” most us here played, some of us coached, I’m sure I’ve played against some of you, some of us parents, NOT ALL OF US and taught our kids to be tough on the field and off. Then some of us have babied our child to the point where we teach our kids we want a water break after 8 minutes of practice (ridiculous).

IMO the reason why kids are “soft” now a days is because of social media, think about it, lil johnnie plays youth league, all over Twitter and insta, good player in youth ball, but when he gets to school ball he just doesn’t have it, maybe a step slow, maybe a lil under weight for the school game, well lil johnnies parents complain to the coach and throw a fit because johnnie isn’t getting the time, coach explains the reason for johnnie not getting playing time is because he is a step slow. Well parents get all pissed off show off his highlights on insta of some plays he made in youth ball and just swears that johnnie is the next D1 prospect coming out. But johnnies coach doesn’t agree. So then parents get on social media, put the coAch on blast because the parents don’t agree with the coach. Other parents see it, johnnies friends see it and all agree with johnnies parents. They make comments online saying “Don’t worry Johnnies parents, come on over to Barn Farm high and johnnie will get his minutes in game, that’s how we do round here”

Back in the day, this would be unheard of, sure may have had some parents complain about coaches, but it wouldn’t get out of hand like it is now. Back in the day, a kid would suck it up and fix what was wrong with his game and bust his/her ass to make it happen. In the present time, a lot of kids (NOT ALL) because they are “soft” believe they don’t think they have to work as hard because daddy, their best buddies, say your way too good, your gonna be star. Which is bullshit most of the time because we aren’t aloud to hurt peoples feelings anymore.

If I had a nickel for every time my Dad, or coach, told me “your effort sucks” or “you just don’t have it” or “your too damn slow” I would be pretty wealthy. But now if you say that to a kid, people get social media, bash the coach, or parent, the kid involved sees it and thinks, “no way coach is right, I’m good cause my mommy has always told me so, no one has ever told me different.

thanks for the read

Like, listen to yourself. You're mad about players being properly hydrated, do you have any idea how insane you sound? Maryland football literally killed a kid last year when he died from heatstroke. It's a game, you freaks, not life and death. If a kid is thirsty you give them water, the hell is wrong with some of you? This isn't Junction Boys and you damn sure you aren't Bear Bryant.

Out of all that, that’s what you got out of that read? You sir are like a lot of parents raising soft kids, because in hindsight you are as well.

Everyone has a voice, but not everyone needs to heard

Out of all that, that’s what you got out of that read? You sir are like a lot of parents raising soft kids, because in hindsight you are as well.

Everyone has a voice, but not everyone needs to heard

You typed up a cliched geezer rant and managed to be upset kids drink water more often than you think they should to the point where you tossed in a parenthetical to really hammer home your thoughts on the subject.

You're a cranky old man who's mad at a world he no longer understands, nothing more and nothing less.

Eh, I’m all about personal responsibility. I just get a little annoyed at older generations pretending like the current younger generation isn’t a direct result of their own parenting or lack-of. That was my only point, really.

I don't necessarily subscribe to that notion. At least not to that extreme. Parents today aren't too overbearing. When I was coaching, I offered more than once to trade positions with them. It was strictly voluntary. They chose not to, don't come at me 2 months after the season is under way and try to "coach me". You had your opportunity and turned into a ghost. There's honestly only one or two. And it was that way when I was a kid playing sports. There's ALWAYS that "one". That isn't anything new. And it certainly isn't generational.
However...I watched a very strict disciplinarian get run out of Smithfield because a bunch of kids couldn't handle being held accountable for their actions on and off of the field. You wouldn't believe that sordid story if I told you...still amazes me.

Anyway...I don't think we are in disagreement.

Still pisses me off seeing a high school coach getting dumped on for $2.29/hour...

thanks for the read

This!!!

My headline was directly related your words Rev.

Winners and Losers.
The men and boys were separated. You knew your place. And the kids that were a step too slow, or couldn't grasp a technique...didn't quit if they were riding pine. You finished what you started. Quitting wasn't an option. Transfers? Yea.. if your parents moved out of town. Period. Except for Hampton High...LOL

Slightly off topic: I used to think that this generation was softer than previous ones. But my mind was changed when I deployed to Iraq in 2004. Those young men that I saw were amazing and completely changed my mind about subsequent generations getting softer and softer. I came away from that experience realizing that they can do anything "we" can do, we just got to train, or raise, them right. Any issue that we have with this generation are entirely our fault.

Reactions: mmqp and Rev_Real
You typed up a cliched geezer rant and managed to be upset kids drink water more often than you think they should to the point where you tossed in a parenthetical to really hammer home your thoughts on the subject.

You're a cranky old man who's mad at a world he no longer understands, nothing more and nothing less.
The post isn’t about drinking water sir, it’s about getting ready for the real world and not taking breaks every time it gets a little tough, that’s what that comment is about.

Get a grip

I don't necessarily subscribe to that notion. At least not to that extreme. Parents today aren't too overbearing. When I was coaching, I offered more than once to trade positions with them. It was strictly voluntary. They chose not to, don't come at me 2 months after the season is under way and try to "coach me". You had your opportunity and turned into a ghost. There's honestly only one or two. And it was that way when I was a kid playing sports. There's ALWAYS that "one". That isn't anything new. And it certainly isn't generational.
However...I watched a very strict disciplinarian get run out of Smithfield because a bunch of kids couldn't handle being held accountable for their actions on and off of the field. You wouldn't believe that sordid story if I told you...still amazes me.

Still pisses me off seeing a high school coach getting dumped on for $2.29/hour...

Accountable- there ya go, some, not all kids do not like being held accountable for there actions on and off the field, if they complain, sadly in you’re case, the coach gets run out, WHY?

Your not going to go through life without some one telling you what to do or how to do it, and if you don’t do it the way, or how your told your going to be held accountable.

That’s football, that’s life

Accountable- there ya go, some, not all kids do not like being held accountable for there actions on and off the field, if they complain, sadly in you’re case, the coach gets run out, WHY?

Your not going to go through life without some one telling you what to do or how to do it, and if you don’t do it the way, or how your told your going to be held accountable.

That’s football, that’s life

Or...
Little Johnny will run through life wondering why he can't hold down a job. Ummm...policies? Procedures? Federal code? You know, all of those pesky nuances related to personal accountability. This rabbit hole is so deep...and yet, someone will chime in and blame society or the system. Athletics are a great learning tool. If it's allowed to be utilized.

thanks for the read

You’re not wrong, but I think our POV is mostly the same. It starts with people rejecting reality and that usually comes from the parents, which is poor parenting IMO.

Reactions: Rev_Real and gwb16

I would say the enabler parents are WAY more prevalent. You’re talking about the complainer parents where there’s only 1 or 2. Parents enabling kids folding at the first sign of adversity is what I see as a huge problem. But Rev is correct that social media plays a role. I just think parents in 2019 have mostly decided that “no one can tell my kid what to do!” Which is an absurd POV when considering ANY team activity.

Slightly off topic: I used to think that this generation was softer than previous ones. But my mind was changed when I deployed to Iraq in 2004. Those young men that I saw were amazing and completely changed my mind about subsequent generations getting softer and softer. I came away from that experience realizing that they can do anything "we" can do, we just got to train, or raise, them right. Any issue that we have with this generation are entirely our fault.

I’m with you. Parents need to be looking out for their kids’ best long-term interest, not whatever is easiest for their kid. Too many parents treat their kids like their best friends these days. Recipe for disaster and we see it all around us these days.

Reactions: Rev_Real and gwb16
In my experience, kids CRAVE structure and discipline even if they outwardly complain about it. It just takes a leader with some conviction to set and maintain a standard. You don’t even have to be militaristic about it. Just maintaining the standard is enough to get SOME parents sideways when their kid doesn’t like the result these days. These parents ARE a societal problem IMO.

In my experience, kids CRAVE structure and discipline even if they outwardly complain about it. It just takes a leader with some conviction to set and maintain a standard. You don’t even have to be militaristic about it. Just maintaining the standard is enough to get SOME parents sideways when their kid doesn’t like the result these days. These parents ARE a societal problem IMO.
100% agree. My experience with students (I currently teach) and Marines bears this out. They complain about (fill in the blank) and generally thoroughly enjoy whatever was asked. We as adults know what is best for them (usually) and have a responsibility to demand the best from them.

No idea why anyone thinks generations get progressively "softer" when you had things like draft dodgers in the 60s. Almost like judging millions of people together with broad, generalizing terms is a really poor idea.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT