ADVERTISEMENT

Expression of Gratitude for Mills Godwin

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
This evening, Mills Godwin made the long bus trip up to Camp Pickett for a rescheduled scrimmage with Dinwiddie. Coach Strine could have very easily chosen to just skip the scrimmage because of the inconvenience. But, they made the trip and both teams got a lot of good work in.

We had the pleasure of providing some refreshments to both teams afterwards. All of the kids were appreciative and didn't hesitate to say thanks. (And man can they eat!)

The Godwin community has a lot to be proud of from the coaches and players I met tonight. I hope the fans will get behind their Eagles this season, because they sure deserve the support.

I agree DP, it was a very workmanlike scrimmage. There was surely some hard hitting from both sides.

Offensively, Dinwiddie was very conservative, but ran the ball well all day. The passing game needs some work as evidence by several dropped balls and a couple of misreads by Peetey Pope. If he can clean up a few mechanical issues he will do some special things. His ability to tuck the ball and run gives the team an added weapon. The O line played well and with the exception of one sack they protected the quarterbacks well.

Defensively, I will simply surmise my thoughts in one word. Pleased! Plenty of depth at linebacker and the two defensive ends looked very good. Its was hard to evaluate the db's as Godwin completed only two passes and the Dinwiddie pass rush pressured the Godwin qb in and out of the pocket. Godwin did have a couple of good runs, but didn't do anything against the projected starters.

Its a nice start, but tons of things to work on as LC Bird and Henrico are next on Thursday.

Last edited:
Hey guys, how did the new recruits look in the scrimmage?
They didnt play. We have a few funny stories though. One of our young assistants ate two bags of momma zumas without water. He said "they aint too hot". We told him about the ghost pepper ones and he said bring it on. We will be sending you some pictures when we get them from Bob our photographer. The boys enjoyed the Route 11 chips. The dill pickle and barbecue were the top chips of the day. Thanks bossman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT