ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Out of Season Practice

Oct 31, 2011
In May of 2011, the Executive Committee adopted a plan that allowed out of season practice. Twelve years into this rule, Im curious as to what others think about the rule and if they think it needs to be amended or removed.

I ask because I have seen a lot of kids locally become stretched really thin this summer with their various team coaches all having practices, and expecting their kids to attend all of them!

I know of one kid in particular that told me that on any given day he could have football, basketball, and track practice all on the same day. I wonder if it has caused some kids who would be good in multiple sports to decide to drop a sport just to have some time to themselves.

Smaller schools that depend on the same athletes to participate in different sports, how do you handle it?

Reactions: Senex
I feel for smaller schools on this one as that’s what I’ve been around my whole life primarily. I talk to a fair amount of coaches and I think it has sort of forced the need to communicate between sports and create a better system that doesn’t limit the athlete. The things I think would be more beneficial in this system are 1) some type of way, at the individual school level. To have a strength and conditioning coach, and have athletes be able to train at the same time. This would prevent athletes juggling 2-3 sports workout schedules and make them a better athlete. 2). Do what the NCAA does and have hours limits, both in season and out of season. If it’s summer and you’re a fall sport you have a certain maximum number of hours, winter sport? Certain number, spring certain number and just rotate around each season what that max is based on when your sport season is. Finally, with coaches, I’m guessing, especially at the lower levels, you lost a lot of coaches. Whether it was the grind of a 365 day calendar that got some out, or some who were coaching 2-3 sports, now find they only have the ability to coach one. I got a buddy who coaches now but played multiple sports in high school, and has coached track and baseball in the past. Whenever I ask him about coaching more sports he says to be where he needs to be in football it requires a full time commitment. So I’m guessing he’s not the only one who has done that

I have never really been a big fan of out of season practice. Lifting yes, but not this 365 day a year type stuff. I know some athletes go to weight lifting/football from 9-11 and then go to basketball from 11:30-1 and then have summer baseball in the evenings and on weekends. I have also seen key players get hurt participating in an out of season sport, during a season or leading right up to one. I know of coaches who have given up coaching multiple sports because they feel like they need to be present at all of one sports events and being a multi sport coach had too many things overlapping. I do know of some smaller schools and mid size schools who have traditionally struggled to find coaches and are having even a harder time now because coaches aren't coaching more than one sport. IMO this is leading to underqualified individuals being coaches and that is not always safe or in the best interest of the athletes. I have heard of places and coaches requiring a certain level of participation in off season workouts and if the % isn't met, the athlete is threatened with not making the team. Now we have kids feeling that they have to choose one sport over the other.

I like the idea of a cap on the number of hours an athlete can participate in a given week. However, we all know that programs would cheat and just not count hours or more AAU/summer league/indy 7 on 7 teams would just be created to get around the rule. I know many many years ago when I was going to school in my home state, off season practices were not allowed and there was also a rule that when one season ended, there was a two week break before the next season began. So after the final football game, there was a two week state wide dead period before basketball could begin. Now if you made playoffs, you could still start basketball after the initial two week period. I think there needs to be some rest for the players...I just don't know how to go about it. Go back to the old system or implement an hour limit and then if it's found to be violated implement a ban/suspension of so many games for the player and coaches. Idk

I have never really been a big fan of out of season practice. Lifting yes, but not this 365 day a year type stuff. I know some athletes go to weight lifting/football from 9-11 and then go to basketball from 11:30-1 and then have summer baseball in the evenings and on weekends. I have also seen key players get hurt participating in an out of season sport, during a season or leading right up to one. I know of coaches who have given up coaching multiple sports because they feel like they need to be present at all of one sports events and being a multi sport coach had too many things overlapping. I do know of some smaller schools and mid size schools who have traditionally struggled to find coaches and are having even a harder time now because coaches aren't coaching more than one sport. IMO this is leading to underqualified individuals being coaches and that is not always safe or in the best interest of the athletes. I have heard of places and coaches requiring a certain level of participation in off season workouts and if the % isn't met, the athlete is threatened with not making the team. Now we have kids feeling that they have to choose one sport over the other.

I like the idea of a cap on the number of hours an athlete can participate in a given week. However, we all know that programs would cheat and just not count hours or more AAU/summer league/indy 7 on 7 teams would just be created to get around the rule. I know many many years ago when I was going to school in my home state, off season practices were not allowed and there was also a rule that when one season ended, there was a two week break before the next season began. So after the final football game, there was a two week state wide dead period before basketball could begin. Now if you made playoffs, you could still start basketball after the initial two week period. I think there needs to be some rest for the players...I just don't know how to go about it. Go back to the old system or implement an hour limit and then if it's found to be violated implement a ban/suspension of so many games for the player and coaches. Idk
You’re exactly right. The cat’s out of the bag. AAU basketball will get you around it in basketball and other sports as well. Same for travel baseball. I don’t see the travel 7 on 7 racket as much here as in other states but certainly it would grow. If you’re gonna keep people adhering to the rules you’re gonna have to make an example out of someone and show some enforcement power and teeth

In May of 2011, the Executive Committee adopted a plan that allowed out of season practice. Twelve years into this rule, Im curious as to what others think about the rule and if they think it needs to be amended or removed.

I ask because I have seen a lot of kids locally become stretched really thin this summer with their various team coaches all having practices, and expecting their kids to attend all of them!

I know of one kid in particular that told me that on any given day he could have football, basketball, and track practice all on the same day. I wonder if it has caused some kids who would be good in multiple sports to decide to drop a sport just to have some time to themselves.

Smaller schools that depend on the same athletes to participate in different sports, how do you handle it?
Takes the excitement away from the "real" first day of practice...leads to burnout and forces kids to focus on one sport...Maybe a week or two but year round is too much...lift / run / play another sport / have a job / do school work / I don't know - maybe be a kid, imo...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT