ADVERTISEMENT

Final: Lake Taylor 38 Monticello 0

I found when I moved up here that the people around Charlottesville really had no idea what football being played around the rest of the state was like. Definitely a lot of people with their blinkers on (horse racing reference). I think with the Jefferson teams heading off to 3 different playoffs now, we're starting to open our eyes about what we have to do in order to really become an elite district. There's some monstrous teams waiting for our good ones when get a couple rounds out in the playoffs. Our best rated team is only #17 in their class in 4A in the Gilliam Ratings right now. Western and Monticello probably look a little more competitive in 3A, but there's names like Phoebus and James Monroe and Magna Vista and Northside ahead of them. We won't even mention 5A right now.

One more thing, I'm a big fan of LT's Darnell Ewell. He's a beast and you can tell by his interviews and actions on the field that he's a genuinely great kid.

Reactions: Wally_Winkerbean
I found when I moved up here that the people around Charlottesville really had no idea what football being played around the rest of the state was like. Definitely a lot of people with their blinkers on (horse racing reference). I think with the Jefferson teams heading off to 3 different playoffs now, we're starting to open our eyes about what we have to do in order to really become an elite district. There's some monstrous teams waiting for our good ones when get a couple rounds out in the playoffs. Our best rated team is only #17 in their class in 4A in the Gilliam Ratings right now. Western and Monticello probably look a little more competitive in 3A, but there's names like Phoebus and James Monroe and Magna Vista and Northside ahead of them. We won't even mention 5A right now.

THANK YOU. ENOUGH SAID.

One more thing, I'm a big fan of LT's Darnell Ewell. He's a beast and you can tell by his interviews and actions on the field that he's a genuinely great kid.

I love coaching him he is always looking for ways to get better and in my opinion the light hasn't completely come on, BUT once it does. Have mercy on whoever has to block that kid.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
If anyone wants to get moral victories on our behalf and take L's by all means go ahead. I'll take them all the way to Lynchburg. At the end of the day it's a bunch of kids out there playing a game and sometimes you never know what will happen with kids. We settled them down at the held and thanks to the Monticello student section for the motivation. Maybe we are overrated.

Reactions: gwb16
Ten years ago, folks in the Charlottesville area had a point. With Monticello being loaded with QB's Michael Brown and Michael Graham, Orange with Bradley Starks, TJ Minor, Quintin Hunter, Louisa with Rontray Houchens, Todd Shelton, etc., even Fluvanna with AJ Williams, the teams were much more talented then, and didn't have a lot of players moving to private schools. The playoff system back then made it much harder to make the playoffs. Orange and Monticello both went 8-2 in 2005 and were left out. I think with the more recent playoff setups, the district would've made more noise besides Monticello and Louisa.

If anyone wants to get moral victories on our behalf and take L's by all means go ahead. I'll take them all the way to Lynchburg. At the end of the day it's a bunch of kids out there playing a game and sometimes you never know what will happen with kids. We settled them down at the held and thanks to the Monticello student section for the motivation. Maybe we are overrated.
Kids will be kids, and they aren't called the Mustang Maniacs for nothing! The LT fans and I thought it was hilarious when they started chanting "overrated" again in the 4th quarter.

Last edited:
Ten years ago, folks in the Charlottesville area had a point. With Monticello being loaded with QB's Michael Brown and Michael Graham, Orange with Bradley Starks, TJ Minor, Quintin Hunter, Louisa with Rontray Houchens, Todd Shelton, etc., even Fluvanna with AJ Williams, the teams were much more talented then, and didn't have a lot of players moving to private schools. The playoff system back then made it much harder to make the playoffs. Orange and Monticello both went 8-2 in 2005 and were left out. I think with the more recent playoff setups, the district would've made more noise besides Monticello and Louisa.
There maybe truth to that ten years ago! But I am talking 2015. Not 2005-2008.

What adjustment did you make the last possession of the half when running the veer? Prior to that you guys were inconsistent, but the last drive of the half even though you did not score seemed that reads from qb were better.
@Snookasuperstar that's Robert Edmonds, not Rod.
Ha-ha thanks I am dyslexic.

There maybe truth to that ten years ago! But I am talking 2015. Not 2005-2008.
I know, but I feel like with the exception of a few teams around the state, and with so many good players in certain areas transferring to one main school nowadays (I'm looking at you, Ocean Lakes), Virginia football as a whole has been down recently.

What adjustment did you make the last possession of the half when running the veer? Prior to that you guys were inconsistent, but the last drive of the half even though you did not score seemed that reads from qb were better.

Ha-ha thanks I am dyslexic.

Just changed the read. Instead of running it inside ran it outside. Got a good gauge of where the blitz was coming from so went away from it. Nothing too major with our backs they just need a crease.

I know, but I feel like with the exception of a few teams around the state, and with so many good players in certain areas transferring to one main school nowadays (I'm looking at you, Ocean Lakes), Virginia football as a whole has been down recently.
Not sure down across state as much as our area. But you maybe right. I don't keep up real well with NOVA

For example, The Concorde was probably the best district in the state a few years ago, almost EVERY team was a state championship-caliber team. Now it's just Westfield and Centreville. I remember watching Robinson (went to VCU with some former Robinson players so I saw a lot of tape) and saying DAMN. LOL. And they don't even have a state title since 2001. I remember thinking 2004 Stone Bridge was awesome when they beat us the way they did, then they lost to Harrisonburg 14-3 the following week. Then look at the Richmond area, at least ten schools that could make a deep run every year. Even Deep Run! Ha. SWVA as an area might have the most parity nowadays.

Last edited:
@Snookasuperstar that's Robert Edmonds, not Rod.
7060354.gif

O
@rickyw I made that first post at halftime, then edited the title after the game. LT had over 100 yards in penalties against Heritage in the first half alone, and the halftime score was still 35-0. Not the case last night. Monticello put their backups in for whatever reason when the score was 26-0 with around 7 or 8 minutes left in the game, and LT had their remaining yards against them. I stand by everything I said. LT's sophomore QB should improve, but right now he's not the good passer Shiheem was, and that's why I say LT is good but not like last year. Too bad you weren't there last night, or you would understand what I mean.

Let me make sure I have all of this straight. lT played as poorly as possible in the first half with only 1 1st down yet Monticello gave up 427 yards of offense to LT in the game. Monticello had -1 yards of offense for the entire game. But you guys are saying the Mustang defense is good and the offense will improve enough to make a run at the JD title. Makes perfect sense to me.

Just like Dominion-Cville was going to be a slaughter in your eyes. It doesn't have to make sense to you for it to happen. LT would make everyone in the Battlefield district look just as rec league as they did Heritage and Monticello. It's going to take a team with special WRs and accurate QB to challenge LT. High school football again, on any given friday night anything is possible. I still got tickets for you Shaunty, pick a game already. 2-0 Hburg coming to town friday, should be a good one.

How many guys are on your coaching staff? Looked like y'all could field a team yourselves! Ha.

12. Highland Spring Boys basketball still outnumbers us I remember at one state tournament they had 15 players and 15 coaches.

Just like Dominion-Cville was going to be a slaughter in your eyes. It doesn't have to make sense to you for it to happen. LT would make everyone in the Battlefield district look just as rec league as they did Heritage and Monticello. It's going to take a team with special WRs and accurate QB to challenge LT. High school football again, on any given friday night anything is possible. I still got tickets for you Shaunty, pick a game already. 2-0 Hburg coming to town friday, should be a good one.
I don't recall saying slaughter. Not a term I would normally use. But you were in the game. Kudo's for that.

Just win some games. Show a team that won't have another losing season. A losing season every year since 2002. Why would I want to see a team like that. Show something different and I'll come. Already promised that. And again, I don't need a ticket to get into the game. Don't waste your money.

I don't recall saying slaughter. Not a term I would normally use. But you were in the game. Kudo's for that.

Just win some games. Show a team that won't have another losing season. A losing season every year since 2002. Why would I want to see a team like that. Show something different and I'll come. Already promised that. And again, I don't need a ticket to get into the game. Don't waste your money.

Afraid not. I'd prefer a game and not a slaughter. Won't see my Cougars at Massaponax either and for the same reason.

Your mind must be playing tricks on you.

Lake Taylor is an awesome team and program. Better than last year and the clear favorite as an undefeated team and state champion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT