ADVERTISEMENT

FINAL: Martinsburg 50, Sherando 45

Shruikan

VaPreps Varsity
Nov 2, 2010
The rumors of Martinsburg's decline have been greatly exaggerated. :rolleyes:

Proud of the way the Warriors played tonight against a team that would easily be top 5 in Division 4 in Virginia. Obviously there's a lot that needs to be addressed before the playoffs start, most of which are on the defensive side of the ball. Still, only a select few teams in Virginia have the kind of speed and size that Martinsburg has. Problem is there are a few of them in Division 4 this year. Gotta be able to play at that level to win a state title.

My main takeaway from the game is that Sherando isn't quite at the level I thought we were, but I'm still of the belief that this team is better than the 2017 Warriors.

I had a fun time at the game. Was cool to see Sherando nearly come back there at the end. Looking forward to Kettle Run next weekend.

The rumors of Martinsburg's decline have been greatly exaggerated. :rolleyes:

Proud of the way the Warriors played tonight against a team that would easily be top 5 in Division 4 in Virginia. Obviously there's a lot that needs to be addressed before the playoffs start, most of which are on the defensive side of the ball. Still, only a select few teams in Virginia have the kind of speed and size that Martinsburg has. Problem is there are a few of them in Division 4 this year. Gotta be able to play at that level to win a state title.

My main takeaway from the game is that Sherando isn't quite at the level I thought we were, but I'm still of the belief that this team is better than the 2017 Warriors.

I had a fun time at the game. Was cool to see Sherando nearly come back there at the end. Looking forward to Kettle Run next weekend.

Tonight was my first look at Sherando and I was impressed. I saw the 2nd half on Youtube while my game wasn't extremely competitive.

Sherando has good size and a few players who can break one at any given time. My eyeball test tells me there are a few D1 - D1AA kids at the skill position. The QB has an awkward release but can throw the ball well anyways. Sherando fought hard and could have easily been discouraged but wasn't. As for Martinsburg, they are definitely a good team but I thought Sherando played with them well. Sherando is well balanced bc they can run and pass. Was impressed with their TB as well. In the passing game they can stretch you vertically... not just a screen here and there, dink and dunk offense. They can get up field and hit the homerun ball too.

After LT scrambled a bit with Phoebus, I had moved Sherando to number 1 on my board. Even though they lost this one, I will keep them there.

I watched this game on YouTube as well and I was really impressed with both teams!!! Some very bad calls by the refs or none calls that’s all I’m going to say!!! Just curious about about how many players does Sherando have going both ways?

Last edited:
Tonight was my first look at Sherando and I was impressed. I saw the 2nd half on Youtube while my game wasn't extremely competitive.

Sherando has good size and a few players who can break one at any given time. My eyeball test tells me there are a few D1 - D1AA kids at the skill position. The QB has an awkward release but can throw the ball well anyways. Sherando fought hard and could have easily been discouraged but wasn't. As for Martinsburg, they are definitely a good team but I thought Sherando played with them well. Sherando is well balanced bc they can run and pass. Was impressed with their TB as well. In the passing game they can stretch you vertically... not just a screen here and there, dink and dunk offense. They can get up field and hit the homerun ball too.

After LT scrambled a bit with Phoebus, I had moved Sherando to number 1 on my board. Even though they lost this one, I will keep them there.

Thanks for the thoughts! Most of the people in my bubble are Sherando fans so a lot of what we discuss ends up being quite biased. It's nice to hear what others have to say to get a more balanced perspective of things.

Reactions: mbonape1
I watched this game on YouTube as well and I was really impressed with both teams!!! Some very bad calls that’s all I’m going to say!!! Just curious about about how many players does Sherando have going both ways?

I agree that there were some pretty bad calls, but I don't think they decided the outcome of the game. Might have a look at them on YouTube in a while to see if they were as obvious from another vantage point. Oh well, can't control that stuff.

We have quite a few players who play both directions. I can't put a number on it off the top of my head, but the most notable is T.J. Washington. He plays both ways on most downs. Will Hall (TE) had a lot to do on defense tonight as well, which is unusual as far as I can remember, but might be wrong on that. A few of the big guys on the line play both ways at times.

That's definitely a disadvantage against a really deep team like Martinsburg, but I was really impressed with how the guys handled themselves late in the game tonight.

Reactions: Lewis918777
Thanks for the thoughts! Most of the people in my bubble are Sherando fans so a lot of what we discuss ends up being quite biased. It's nice to hear what others have to say to get a more balanced perspective of things.
A good High School Football Game. Martinsburg's offense is difficult for any team to match up with. Their best player Dwayne Grantham RB/LB did not play due to injury. Martinsburg has the depth that Sherando lacks. Kearney a Sophmore ran for 145 yards. The Harman/Banks QB combo provides a change of pace but they both passed for over 145 yards. Their defense made adjustments. Good competition for both teams. Martinsburg will not see a better team during the remainder of the season including the playoffs. Good Luck to Sherando. I hope they win the VA 4 A State title.

A good High School Football Game. Martinsburg's offense is difficult for any team to match up with. Their best player Dwayne Grantham RB/LB did not play due to injury. Martinsburg has the depth that Sherando lacks. Kearney a Sophmore ran for 145 yards. The Harman/Banks QB combo provides a change of pace but they both passed for over 145 yards. Their defense made adjustments. Good competition for both teams. Martinsburg will not see a better team during the remainder of the season including the playoffs. Good Luck to Sherando. I hope they win the VA 4 A State title.
The Key statement you made is Martinsburg made defensive adjustments .

I agree that there were some pretty bad calls, but I don't think they decided the outcome of the game. Might have a look at them on YouTube in a while to see if they were as obvious from another vantage point. Oh well, can't control that stuff.

We have quite a few players who play both directions. I can't put a number on it off the top of my head, but the most notable is T.J. Washington. He plays both ways on most downs. Will Hall (TE) had a lot to do on defense tonight as well, which is unusual as far as I can remember, but might be wrong on that. A few of the big guys on the line play both ways at times.

That's definitely a disadvantage against a really deep team like Martinsburg, but I was really impressed with how the guys handled themselves late in the game tonight.
The bad calls did help us get down, but that’s playing a game in Martinsburg

Reactions: Shruikan
Wow - someone is a little sour tonight.
To think I was going to sit next to you at the game tonight. Where's the love.

Glad I sat near the loud Martinsburg fans that got ejected.

Ill just sit a few rows in front or behind you at Kettle Run.

Reactions: hamspear
’Dogs hold off Sherando for 35th in row
OCT 6, 2018

RICK KOZLOWSKI
Sports Editor

06-Sher%40MB-FB4-ra-1100x769.jpg

Martinsburg defender A.J. Brinegar (60) loses his helmet as he sacks Sherando quarterback Hunter Entsminger (8) with help from Anthony Smith (9) during the second quarter Friday evening in Martinsburg. See more photos on CU.journal-news.net (Journal photo by Ron Agnir)

MARTINSBURG — OK, so now Martinsburg can actually think about the state record for consecutive victories.

The Bulldogs pulled away from and then held off Sherando, Virginia, on Friday night at packed Cobourn Field as undefeated teams matched up in a 50-45 victory by Martinsburg

Martinsburg won for the 35th straight time in a game that lived up to its billing.

The Bulldogs can tie the state record of 36 wins in a row when they host Hedgesville next week.

It was an impressive offensive display by the Bulldogs, who moved to 7-0 and dropped Sherando to 5-1.

Naieem Kearney ran for more than 100 yards and quarterback Grant Harman also surpassed 100 on the ground. Kearney had 142 and Harman 159

Martinsburg played the game without star running back/linebacker Dewayne Grantham, who has committed to play football at West Virginia University.

Once Martinsburg went three and out on its opening series, there seemed to be no stopping either team.

Sherando scored first, needing just two plays to move 70 yards, the touchdown coming on a Hunter Entsminger pass to a wide-open Nick Mazza.

Sherando stopped Martinsburg on the ensuing series, but Trey Sine’s 46-yard punt stuck the Warriors at their 1-yard line, and Martinsburg held.

Jarod Bowie returned a short punt to the Sherando 15, where Martinsburg used three plays and scored on Grant Harman’s quarterback draw from 12 yards away. That touchdown tied the game at 7.

Bowie caught a flip pass from Harman on Martinsburg’s next series and raced 37 yards for a touchdown to give the Bulldogs a 14-7 lead that lasted only 13 seconds as T.J. Washington took the kickoff 83 yards for a touchown.

Matt Vanduzer returned the kickoff 36 yards to the 50, leading to a seven-play drive that ended with a Chris Catlett 25-yard field goa for Martinsburg.

Washington’s 51-yard touchdown run on the third play of the Warriors’ next possession put Sherando up 21-17 with 7:43 left in the second quarter.

It was Martinsburg’s turn to strike quickly, however.

Elijah Banks, working in at quarterback every now and then, hit Chelo Teneval on a 65-yard pass play to put Martinsburg into the lead again.

Tenevel caught one more touchdown pass, this one from Harman for a uniform number-matching 7 yards in the final minute of the first half. A blocked point-after kick left Martinsburg ahead 30-21 at halftime.

The two Martinsburg quartebacks combined to throw for 221 yards in the first half.

Martinsburg opened the scoring in the second half, with a 43-yard drive that took 4:51. Banks threw a quick slant to Bowie for a 1-yard touchdown on fourth down, taking the lead to 37-21.

Sherando struck quickly, though, as Joseph Doleman took a direct snap on third down, quickly burst through the line and found clear sailing for a 58-yard touchdown run.

Barely a minute later, though, Martinsburg countered with a 10-yard touchdown run by Kearney, who got the start in place of Grantham at running back, taking the lead to 43-28. The score was set up by Bowie’s 64-yard kickoff return on a reverse.

Sherando pulled to within 41-31 on Jack Hedren’s 42-yard field goal with 11:03 left in the game.

But Harman ran 6 yards for a TD, one play after his 27-yard run extended Martinsburg’s lead to 50-31.

Mazza got behind the defense for a 77-yard touchdown reception with 5:21 left. He caught the two-point pass from Entsminger, who ran all over the place to escape a pass rush, and Sherando narrowed its gap.

Then the Warriors recovered an onside kick.

However, Anthony Smith made an acrobatic interception, snagging it with one hand and moving it to the other to finish the play.

Sherando scored once more as Entsminger scored on a 6-yard reception in a trick play.

This time, though, Sherando could not recover an onside kick with 5.6 seconds left, and Martinsburg finished a victory as Harman took a knee on the next snap.

Cheer up bro, still the best team in Virginia ! Just couldn’t get a stop when needed . Got work to do on defense , but offensively , ha

The “obligatory “ dumbass who makes irrelevant comments and has a agenda against Sherando post . GFY.
There is no way the Sherando team I saw last night is the best team in 4A Virginia. The conservative play calling when Sherando had the ball at the 1 early in the game cost them. They made no adjustments on defense or special teams. Martinsburg kicked the ball to #33 every kick off with a pooch and you would think lets put #22 there and maybe they'll kick elsewhere. Sherando kicks the ball to a very dangerous kick returner every time. I honestly think Coach Walker is a special coach and the best I've seen in game prep and adjustments....JoJo Doleman is too good of a football player to barely use on offense.

Not only is Sherando conservative on offense, they're very conservative on defense. Just finished watching the game and Sherando has the athletes on defense to take Martinsburg's offense out of their comfort zone, but they never do it year after year and it's frustrating. Martinsburg's offense is predicated on finesse running and quick passes with no TEs. So why not use your athletes on defense to play physical bump-and-run coverage, blitz the QB and throw off his timing??? Force the QB to have to think and throw ducks and try to get some picks or sacks, especially with Martinsburg's starting RB out and not blocking for them. All Sherando did was play at least 5 yards off the receivers and rush with 3 down linemen. Why run a 3-5 defense if you aren't going to be aggressive with it??? Force Martinsburg out of their comfort zone and make them bring in some TEs and sweat a little. Most good VA teams would defend Martinsburg that way. The only time Martinsburg's QB had to scramble was on bad snaps. Sherando just sat back and let Martinsburg do whatever they wanted, only remotely blitzed on 3rd and short plays. Martinsburg does nothing mind boggling offensively.

On offense, Sherando could've easily lined up in their I formation all game and run the ball down Martinsburg's throats with Washington and Doleman, wearing the defense down, controlling the clock, and keeping Martinsburg's offense off the field longer, but they are determined to give Entsminger his shine. They opened up the 2nd half in the I, ran on 1st down, which was a short gain, then tried to pass on 2nd down and got sacked. They always want the big play, so just grinding it out, being patient, and controlling the clock isn't good enough for them. I just don't get it. Sometimes your offense can be your best defense. Washington and Doleman are BEASTS, feed them, give them touches in every way possible. Can you imagine what Salem, Blacksburg, Dinwiddie, Monacan, Louisa and Lake Taylor would do if they had those kids? This game could've easily been a Sherando blowout, but they just played the Alabama of high school football so *shrugs* gotta be complacent and say "maybe next year", again. Sherando is the Courtland of the Northwest, coaching holds their true potential back. I may get bashed and insulted for this rant, but I feel like anyone with eyes and who watched the game would agree.

Wow - someone is a little sour tonight.
To think I was going to sit next to you at the game tonight. Where's the love.

Glad I sat near the loud Martinsburg fans that got ejected.

Ill just sit a few rows in front or behind you at Kettle Run.
Not only is Sherando conservative on offense, they're very conservative on defense. Just finished watching the game and Sherando has the athletes on defense to take Martinsburg's offense out of their comfort zone, but they never do it year after year and it's frustrating. Martinsburg's offense is predicated on finesse running and quick passes with no TEs. So why not use your athletes on defense to play physical bump-and-run coverage, blitz the QB and throw off his timing??? Force the QB to have to think and throw ducks and try to get some picks or sacks, especially with Martinsburg's starting RB out and not blocking for them. All Sherando did was play at least 5 yards off the receivers and rush with 3 down linemen. Why run a 3-5 defense if you aren't going to be aggressive with it??? Force Martinsburg out of their comfort zone and make them bring in some TEs and sweat a little. Most good VA teams would defend Martinsburg that way. The only time Martinsburg's QB had to scramble was on bad snaps. Sherando just sat back and let Martinsburg do whatever they wanted, only remotely blitzed on 3rd and short plays. Martinsburg does nothing mind boggling offensively.

On offense, Sherando could've easily lined up in their I formation all game and run the ball down Martinsburg's throats with Washington and Doleman, wearing the defense down, controlling the clock, and keeping Martinsburg's offense off the field longer, but they are determined to give Entsminger his shine. They opened up the 2nd half in the I, ran on 1st down, which was a short gain, then tried to pass on 2nd down and got sacked. They always want the big play, so just grinding it out, being patient, and controlling the clock isn't good enough for them. I just don't get it. Sometimes your offense can be your best defense. Washington and Doleman are BEASTS, feed them, give them touches in every way possible. Can you imagine what Salem, Blacksburg, Dinwiddie, Monacan, Louisa and Lake Taylor would do if they had those kids? This game could've easily been a Sherando blowout, but they just played the Alabama of high school football so *shrugs* gotta be complacent and say "maybe next year", again. Sherando is the Courtland of the Northwest, coaching holds their true potential back. I may get bashed and insulted for this rant, but I feel like anyone with eyes and who watched the game would agree.
couldnt agree more with your analysis of the game . Some friends of mine and myself were talking the same thing last night . Could have done some different things on defense last night. Adjustments should have been made. We suck , put us with wtvr team you want to call us, lol. It’s all good.

I'm not going to bash you. I agree on most of your points. Washington got plenty of touches but I would've loved to see Doleman get his hands on the ball more.

Based on what you've seen this and last year where you're from and what you saw in the game on YouTube, where would you say Sherando stacks up against the championship contenders from Region B?

@Shruikan you and @BigBWincCity are great posters, always enjoy what you guys say, so I'll give you my honest thoughts.

Forget Region 4B, I think Sherando has the group of players to be the best team in all of 4A, better than Salem was last year. Quite literally, the main difference is coaching. They have the O line, RB and FB to do exactly what Salem does, which is simply force their will on everyone and take opponents hearts. It just seems like every time they get a short gain with the run, they get away from it and try for a big play, and any good defense is going to stop that. They are way too finesse for the team they have. The Power I is in Sherando's arsenal, but they get too scared and impatient to use it and stick with it. Even if something is clearly working, they get away from it. That's not just this game, it's over years of seeing them. Salem would take Sherando's kids and pound you to death to with Washington and Doleman, with a mix of play action and running by Entsminger, much less than how much Sherando uses Entsminger though. Entsminger would take more of a backseat and be more of a game manager. So many teams just don't realize how much controlling the clock and pounding opponents up front over and over can take their souls. I would love to see Sherando do that to Martinsburg and see how Martinsburg reacts to that over the course of a whole game. I bet you would see penalties and "cramps" from Martinsburg come out the woodwork.

Sherando has the players and speed on defense to bring the pressure every play the same way teams like Salem, LT and Louisa do, play bump and run on the outside, etc, but they are just too conservative and let offenses take what their defense gives them. They don't attempt to force offenses to get more creative like other teams do. There's no way they should be giving up 50 points to ANYONE, I don't care who it is.

Last edited:
I've been shocked for years why more schools don't do what Salem does. Get in the eye and run the ball

Reactions: OCBoy
I’ve been reading this board for close to 10 years now and figured I’d post my critical thoughts as a warriors fan.

To be blunt: I was absolutely disappointed! Based off what I had been seeing and hearing recently, I thought this was going to be arguably the best warriors team in the schools history.

I only got a chance to see the first half on YouTube and have to say I was taken back by the poor tackling of the warriors. I didn’t see the fundamentals of just wrapping up the ball carriers and driving the feet. Secondly, as other posters already said, stick with what works. No need to get Entsminger throwing the ball when your boys in the backfield can take care of business. This is the business of winning football games, not about making it pretty in paper (stats for everyone). Should have switched the defense into 4-3 or 4-4 early on. Winning against quality ball teams is not how well you execute your game plan but how well you can adjust yours to disrupt your opponents.

Bottom line, I’m still just in shock how the players just run hard into the opponent and expect for that to be the tackle, like they see on Sundays. That seems like a coaching issue to me but maybe there’s more behind it.

Martinsburg is one heck of team, the fact that they played without their stud is even scarier and would make me question Sherando’s ability to compete at the highest level, the championship level. Sherando is a good team but nowhere close to where they need to be.

Again, I’m actually a warriors fan despite my critical analysis of the game. Good luck and health to all the players.

I’ve been reading this board for close to 10 years now and figured I’d post my critical thoughts as a warriors fan.

To be blunt: I was absolutely disappointed! Based off what I had been seeing and hearing recently, I thought this was going to be arguably the best warriors team in the schools history.

I only got a chance to see the first half on YouTube and have to say I was taken back by the poor tackling of the warriors. I didn’t see the fundamentals of just wrapping up the ball carriers and driving the feet. Secondly, as other posters already said, stick with what works. No need to get Entsminger throwing the ball when your boys in the backfield can take care of business. This is the business of winning football games, not about making it pretty in paper (stats for everyone). Should have switched the defense into 4-3 or 4-4 early on. Winning against quality ball teams is not how well you execute your game plan but how well you can adjust yours to disrupt your opponents.

Bottom line, I’m still just in shock how the players just run hard into the opponent and expect for that to be the tackle, like they see on Sundays. That seems like a coaching issue to me but maybe there’s more behind it.

Martinsburg is one heck of team, the fact that they played without their stud is even scarier and would make me question Sherando’s ability to compete at the highest level, the championship level. Sherando is a good team but nowhere close to where they need to be.

Again, I’m actually a warriors fan despite my critical analysis of the game. Good luck and health to all the players.

Great insight, and welcome to the forums! :D

Reactions: hamspear
@Shruikan to answer your 4B question though, Sherando matches up with everyone in 4B in all areas, it's just their coaching isn't as good. Their skill players and linemen are as good as anyone's. The top 4B (and 4D and Lafayette/LT) teams would speed up Entsminger and force many mistakes, and move the ball on Sherando's defense, and it's hard to be confident in Sherando making the necessary in-game adjustments.

Last edited:
@Shruikan to answer your 4B question though, Sherando matches up with everyone in 4B in all areas, it's just their coaching isn't as good. Their skill players and linemen are as good as anyone's. The top 4B (and 4D and Lafayette/LT) teams would speed up Entsminger and force many mistakes, and move the ball on Sherando's defense, and it's hard to be confident in Sherando making the necessary in-game adjustments.

Well, here's hoping we can improve by season's end and be fortunate enough to see some of those teams in person. Long way to go though.

It would be nice to see some of thei other 4 A power programs step out of the comfort zone like Sherandoand schedule a series with Martinsburg! Seems to be some opinions that certain teams would have their way with Martinsburg based on someone watching a game on YouTube! Martinsburg is not just a talented team but is coached by one of the best HS Football Coach anywhere. A coach who makes in game adjustments better than most. Martinsburg will play anyone anywhere. Just look at their schedule history. It speaks for itself. They are always looking for games. All the AD or coach needs to do is make the call to Martinsburg or answer the call from Martinsburg. If you talk it you might as well walk it! Regions: A, B. C,& D follow Sherando’s lead and come play Big Boy Football!!!

@BulldogSoccer 2013 Sherando lost to Martinsburg 27-13, lost to Dinwiddie 56-14 in the state championship game. Dinwiddie ain't scared, give them a call and offer to travel there and see what happens. Until then, no need to keep bringing up "talking the talk".

Martinsburg plays one real team every year, their schedule is everyone's comfort zone.

Last edited:
@Shruikan you and @BigBWincCity are great posters, always enjoy what you guys say, so I'll give you my honest thoughts.

Forget Region 4B, I think Sherando has the group of players to be the best team in all of 4A, better than Salem was last year. Quite literally, the main difference is coaching. They have the O line, RB and FB to do exactly what Salem does, which is simply force their will on everyone and take opponents hearts. It just seems like every time they get a short gain with the run, they get away from it and try for a big play, and any good defense is going to stop that. They are way too finesse for the team they have. The Power I is in Sherando's arsenal, but they get too scared and impatient to use it and stick with it. Even if something is clearly working, they get away from it. That's not just this game, it's over years of seeing them. Salem would take Sherando's kids and pound you to death to with Washington and Doleman, with a mix of play action and running by Entsminger, much less than how much Sherando uses Entsminger though. Entsminger would take more of a backseat and be more of a game manager. So many teams just don't realize how much controlling the clock and pounding opponents up front over and over can take their souls. I would love to see Sherando do that to Martinsburg and see how Martinsburg reacts to that over the course of a whole game. I bet you would see penalties and "cramps" from Martinsburg come out the woodwork.

Sherando has the players and speed on defense to bring the pressure every play the same way teams like Salem, LT and Louisa do, play bump and run on the outside, etc, but they are just too conservative and let offenses take what their defense gives them. They don't attempt to force offenses to get more creative like other teams do. There's no way they should be giving up 50 points to ANYONE, I don't care who it is.

I've always had some issues with the coaching at Sherando. Though it's good enough to get Sherando through to the playoffs most years, it seems to be problematic when they face tougher teams. You'd think that, by now, Hall would have changed some things but it's still the same ole. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to the one regular season game I really wanted to go to because I was in the ER due to some virus, but I got to watch most of it online... I was upset but not surprised with the defensive play but impressed with the 'never give up' attitude. I have high hopes for improvements over the next few weeks.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
@BulldogSoccer 2013 Sherando lost to Martinsburg 27-13, lost to Dinwiddie 56-14 in the state championship game. Dinwiddie ain't scared, give them a call and offer to travel there and see what happens. Until then, no need to keep bringing up "talking the talk".

Martinsburg plays one real team every year, their schedule is everyone's comfort zone.
All you do is talk the talk! Come watch a real team in action!!!. Have your team whoever that is go to State Collige, PA and win since that is a comfort zone for Martinsburg. Learn your history. I’m stating fact not fiction!

It would be nice to see some of thei other 4 A power programs step out of the comfort zone like Sherandoand schedule a series with Martinsburg! Seems to be some opinions that certain teams would have their way with Martinsburg based on someone watching a game on YouTube! Martinsburg is not just a talented team but is coached by one of the best HS Football Coach anywhere. A coach who makes in game adjustments better than most. Martinsburg will play anyone anywhere. Just look at their schedule history. It speaks for itself. They are always looking for games. All the AD or coach needs to do is make the call to Martinsburg or answer the call from Martinsburg. If you talk it you might as well walk it! Regions: A, B. C,& D follow Sherando’s lead and come play Big Boy Football!!!
Martinsburg tends to be undisciplined too. They have been know to vandalize and tear up visiting lockrooms. They tore up Eastern Views locker room when they first opened. They wrote graffiti etc on the walls. I remember reading on here they did that to another school as well. I don’t see any need for Martinsburg to schedule 4A games when you got powerhouse Loudoun County schools right there. Try scheduling Stone Bridge it’s a short and convenient drive.

Martinsburg tends to be undisciplined too. They have been know to vandalize and tear up visiting lockrooms. They tore up Eastern Views locker room when they first opened. They wrote graffiti etc on the walls. I remember reading on here they did that to another school as well. I don’t see any need for Martinsburg to schedule 4A games when you got powerhouse Loudoun County schools right there. Try scheduling Stone Bridge it’s a short and convenient drive.
Would love to see more games against Loudoun teams but ask Briar Wood, Potomac Falls, & Broad Run how it worked out for them Also in their only meeting Martinsburg destroyed Stone Bridge look it up. Yes I know it was early in Stone Bridges history.

IMHO, Sherando's weak schedule does nothing to help them to prepare for a deep state playoff run. They are rarely forced to play 4 quarters of football during the regular season. Reflect it on it, Sherando ends up nearly 99% of the time getting blown out when their season is ended.

Reactions: BulldogSoccer
IMHO, Sherando's weak schedule does nothing to help them to prepare for a deep state playoff run. They are rarely forced to play 4 quarters of football during the regular season. Reflect it on it, Sherando ends up nearly 99% of the time getting blown out when their season is ended.

I agree with you that the weak schedule doesn't help matters. However, I'm not sure what can reasonably be done about that. Sherando has played more good schools than anyone else in the area by a vast margin over the past couple cycles or so. We've played Louisa, Eastern View, Martinsburg, and Fort Hill. Louisa is a very long drive, Eastern View won't play us, we already do play Martinsburg, and due to scheduling conflicts the Fort Hill series couldn't continue.

Loudoun Valley could be replaced with Loudoun County or another Class 4 Loudoun school, but it's hard to anticipate which one of them is going to be good for the next cycle. For example, Loudoun Valley was the better team over the last cycle, but this cycle Loudoun County is the better one. I doubt teams like Broad Run and Stone Bridge have much interest in playing Sherando because they already have tough Class 5 schedules.

So maybe Broadway and Jefferson? I know the series with Jefferson was extended due to both schools wanting it to due to the relatively long history associated with the contest. I doubt Broadway will be there in the next cycle, but I'm not sure if we have to play a district opponent that week or not.

Also, the 99% number is grossly exaggerated and you know it. :p

Since 2010, Sherando has been blown out three times to end the season.
- 2010 to Broad Run, which went on to beat Louisa by nearly the same amount and then lose to Briar Woods, a team that easily dispatched the remaining teams in their path.
- 2013 to Dinwiddie, a team that would demolish every single team in Class 4.
- 2017 to Salem, a team that won the championship game by 21 (though yes, I'm aware that it was a closer contest than the score indicates).

"Scheduling conflicts the Fort Hill series couldn't continue." Is this true or was it embarrassing losing to a school half your size each time? Also how good is Sherando? This is supposedly their best team that faced a Martinsburg team that is not one of their better teams who was without their best player and you still lose.

"Scheduling conflicts the Fort Hill series couldn't continue." Is this true or was it embarrassing losing to a school half your size each time? Also how good is Sherando? This is supposedly their best team that faced a Martinsburg team that is not one of their better teams who was without their best player and you still lose.

Fort Hill would easily beat most Division 4 schools in Virginia. Size is irrelevant in their case. The scheduling issue stemmed from Fort Hill having a previously scheduled game against a highly ranked team from Florida (who they went on to beat).

As for Sherando, we'll find out. Many in this thread have said they think Sherando has the players to play with anyone in Division 4 this year. Which team do you support?

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBWincCity
Fort Hill would easily beat most Division 4 schools in Virginia. Size is irrelevant in their case. The scheduling issue stemmed from Fort Hill having a previously scheduled game against a highly ranked team from Florida (who they went on to beat).

As for Sherando, we'll find out. Many in this thread have said they they think Sherando has the players to play with anyone in Division 4 this year. Which team do you support?
Fort Hill is a solid program, and would probably be a top ten VA D4 school most years, but they have struggled with teams that have speed. And if you were referring to Melbourne Central Catholic, as the top ranked FL team they faced, that probably wasn't a football ranking amongst the top football programs in FL.

Fort Hill is a solid program, and would probably be a top ten VA D4 school most years, but they have struggled with teams that have speed. And if you were referring to Melbourne Central Catholic, as the top ranked FL team they faced, that probably wasn't a football ranking amongst the top football programs in FL.

Not top ranked, just highly ranked in their division (3A if I remember correctly). They're certainly nowhere near the cream of the crop in Florida across all classifications. I'm sure the top teams in Florida overall would have no issue blowing them out.

I agree that they'd be a top 10 team in 4A most years. I doubt they could hang with the teams like Salem, Dinwiddie, and Lake Taylor, but they'd do well in the area I'm from, which admittedly isn't saying much these days.

Reactions: CavsGrad
Not top ranked, just highly ranked in their division (3A if I remember correctly). They're certainly nowhere near the cream of the crop in Florida across all classifications. I'm sure the top teams in Florida overall would have no issue blowing them out.

I agree that they'd be a top 10 team in 4A most years. I doubt they could hang with the teams like Salem, Dinwiddie, and Lake Taylor, but they'd do well in the area I'm from, which admittedly isn't saying much these days.
They may not have top rated players all over the field, but they make the most of what they have. I'd like to see them play Salem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT