ADVERTISEMENT

Final Season for Park View (South Hill) & Bluestone High Schools

MascotMemorizer

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 30, 2007
The 2021-2022 will be the final year that Park View (South Hill) & Bluestone will play as they are consolidating in 2022. The two schools (along with both middles schools) will form Mecklenburg County Middle/High School. Their mascot will be the Phoenix & their school colors are Red (like a 🔥 red), Black, & White.
Here's a video of how their campus will look:

Reactions: KWcavs360
It will be interesting to see they handle the hiring of coaches between the two schools or if they go to an outside hire. Combining those two schools could draw some interest.

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
I know football scheduling is only a minor priority, but I must ask why do this in the middle of a new cycle. Teams that have the Barons or Dragons on the schedule may be looking for new people and the Phoenix, most likely, would be without a district home unless they absorbed one of the school's schedules for the 2022 season.

Reactions: BigDaddyFromThe434
I know football scheduling is only a minor priority, but I must ask why do this in the middle of a new cycle. Teams that have the Barons or Dragons on the schedule may be looking for new people and the Phoenix, most likely, would be without a district home unless they absorbed one of the school's schedules for the 2022 season.
I believe that construction was delayed or had delays and was originally scheduled to be completed in order to be open for this coming school year. I think it's now scheduled to be finished in the fall, but they won't put the school into use until next year.

I was going from Bluestone's Facebook site as they said this is their final year. And that the new school will open in 2022.

Bluestone HS - 532
PV South Hill - 762
Mecklenburg - 1294
So they could be a large Class 3 school or a small Class 4 school. Tabb was the smallest Class 4 school with 1133. GW-Danville has 1306

Last edited:
so Piedmont District - maybe.
Mecklenburg County H.S. to Piedmont District might be a stretch. These are the distances one way YOu looking at Halifax being the only district trip in in under an hour, with three trips going over 2 hours (PC, MV, Bassett)
Patrick County H.S. (the furthest West Piedmont District School) is 129 miles apart
Magna Vista to MCHS - 105 miles
Tunstall - 79 miles
Bassett - 111 miles
GW - 70 miles
Halifax - 40 miles (shortest District trip)
Martinsville - 99 miles (near the distance Dan RIver and Nelson County)

Currently, Halifax County to Patrick County is the longest trek in the Piedmont District, as they about 96 miles from each other.

I honestly think they will play Park View's scheduled games in the Tri-Rivers District their first year it opens and then likely move up to Class 4.

What schools were in the Southside District, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm pretty certain it was most of the above Class 1 schools (except Windsor) that are now in the Tri Rivers plus Nottoway, Bluestone and PEC if I'm not mistaken. Possibly Powhatan at one time as well.

Just found a 1994-95 VHSL Directory. Back then it was Bluestone, Brunswick, Greensville, Matoaca, Nottoway and Park View.

Mecklenburg County H.S. to Piedmont District might be a stretch. These are the distances one way YOu looking at Halifax being the only district trip in in under an hour, with three trips going over 2 hours (PC, MV, Bassett)
Patrick County H.S. (the furthest West Piedmont District School) is 129 miles apart
Magna Vista to MCHS - 105 miles
Tunstall - 79 miles
Bassett - 111 miles
GW - 70 miles
Halifax - 40 miles (shortest District trip)
Martinsville - 99 miles (near the distance Dan RIver and Nelson County)

Currently, Halifax County to Patrick County is the longest trek in the Piedmont District, as they about 96 miles from each other.

I honestly think they will play Park View's scheduled games in the Tri-Rivers District their first year it opens and then likely move up to Class 4.

What schools were in the Southside District, if you don't mind me asking?
I understand but I am in the Richmond area and we don't take District membership that seriously as long as you show up for the regionals. Some teams don't have but a couple of district schools on the FB and in some cases BB schedules. I think they may be in the 4D region which is the important thing.

Last edited:
How about this idea. Bring back the Southside district with the following schools.

Mecklenburg
Colonial Heights
Dinwiddie
Southhampton
Lakeland
Petersburg
Armstrong

That would be a good district to start back up. There would be some travel. There also would be some good competition.

Last edited:
How about this idea. Bring back the Southside district with the following schools.

Mecklenburg
Colonial Heights
Dinwiddie
South Hampton
Lakeland
Petersburg
Armstrong

That would be a good district to start back up. There would be some travel. There also would be some good competition.
you threw for a loop for a minute, Southampton is one word. That district would only benefit MCHS and no one else.

It would benefit all schools because they would only have class 3 and class 4 schools and not class 5 or class 6 schools and the competition would be more evenly matched and better for the schools involved.

The new high school will be the Phoenix
and will be red/white/black.
It will be Mecklenburg County MS/HS
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my question. Since this is a mid cycle adjustment and football schedules are generally set on an every two year basis, how does this adjust everyone's schedule? Park View and Bluestone's opponents all lose one opponent and the Piedmont district needs to all drop one opponent? For example, Buckingham only had 9 scheduled games this year due to a mixup with Brunswick, do they now only have 8?

The New Piedmont District as of 2022-2023:

Bassett Bengals
Magna Vista Warriors
George Washington Eagles
Halifax County Blue Comets
Martinsville Bulldogs
Mecklenburg County Phoenix
Patrick County Cougars
Tunstall Trojans

I do not remember exactly where I heard or read it, but I believe they plan in playing Park Views 2022-23 schedules for all sports.

The New Piedmont District as of 2022-2023:

Bassett Bengals
Magna Vista Warriors
George Washington Eagles
Halifax County Blue Comets
Martinsville Bulldogs
Mecklenburg County Phoenix
Patrick County Cougars
Tunstall Trojans
With this addition is Tunstall the only school that wont be allowed to participate in a Christmas tournament because of now 14 conference games

With this addition is Tunstall the only school that wont be allowed to participate in a Christmas tournament because of now 14 conference games
so everybody has to play everybody in the district? Is that a local rule? Schools in this area play whomever they want.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT