ADVERTISEMENT

Flag football???

Daddy_rabbit

VaPreps Rookie
Sep 14, 2017
There has been talk around wytheville about the youth league doing away with tackle football starting next year. Tackling will no longer take place until middle school. This makes no sense to me. I think the powers that be are making a huge mistake here if they think it’s gonna make football safer.
Anyone else hearing this or know if it going on in your own community?

I know it has been a growing thing in the Salem and Blacksburg area for younger kids, however, I think both do tackle in the fall like normal and a flag league in the spring....I think thats how it work.

Might as well get used to it. Before long it will only be Flag until around age 12-13. Personally I agree with it. I've been around the game for 40 years and I won't let my son play until 8th grade. For every great little league football coach, there are 10 "Uncle Rico" type guys who are out there to stroke their own ego and just bang kids around and scream and cuss at them. I worked the chains for a little league game once and the coach had a playsheet that had about 50 plays on it and they didn't run any of them well. Then he ranted and raved at the kids for doing stuff wrong. He thought he was Vince Lombardi.

If I were commissioner of all things football. Kids wouldn't play tackle until 7th grade and every league would have a standard playbook of 6 plays that the kids would run to perfection. That would give them 12 total plays(6 right, 6 left) and then they can use the rest of the time teaching fundamentals and how to be part of a team. And most importantly how to have fun.

I truly believe that high school football is much better coached than it was 40 years ago and I would not hesitate to let my son play, but little league is the wild wild west of clowns in a lot of places.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT