ADVERTISEMENT

Free Throw Procedures and Foul Administration Amended in 2023-24

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002

gBOZdb2z_400x400.jpg

Free Throw Procedures and Foul Administration Amended in 2023-24 High School Basketball Rules Changes​

By NFHS on May 15, 2023

Beginning next year, high school basketball teams will shoot two free throws for common fouls when in the “bonus.” This change to Rule 4-8-1 eliminates the one-and-one scenario and sets new foul limits each quarter for awarding the bonus free throw.

Rules changes were approved by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Basketball Rules Committee at its annual meeting April 24-26 in Indianapolis. The recommendations were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

I am not convinced this rule change is going to make the games any safer or cause less fouls to be called. The only thing I see there will be no need to tell the kids alright we have a 1 & 1 deal. Play the miss on the first shot.

I feel that resetting the team fouls will at the end of each quarter will reduce the number of FTs. We won't shoot until the 5th foul in each quarter. Let's say we have 4 fouls in the 3Q and 5 fouls in the 4Q. Collectively, that's only 2 FTs in the 2H. Under the old system, we would have shot FTs 3 times.

Reactions: bowlingref
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT