ADVERTISEMENT

Galax @ Chilhowie

I just wanted to speak on a couple of things, because I'm very intriuged to the fact that there are some Chilhowie fans that think they are just going to blow Galax out and I don't understand the logic behind that. Given I believe its going to be a good game...but then again I said the same thing about Narrows...

Here are some facts: Yes Chilhowie seems to be an explosive team with some playmakers on offense and defense...But how tested are they? They haven't played a team ranked higher than 136 the entire season and that was PH, and Galax is without question the highest ranked team they will play this season so far at 54. Galax however has played several teams in the top 100. Glenvar (ranked 70) whom in spite of actually losing they should have won that game because they control 90% of the entire game, they had 2 goaline drives that ended because of a bad snap from the center, but even with Glenvar having 2 Division one commits, one of those a D-Lineman going to Virginia Tech, and the other a Linebacker who committed Louisville. They also have another D-Lineman who committed to JMU and a safety that committed to Liberty. The point is that Glenvar's defense had weapons and Galax moved the ball running and passing on them at will. They beat Radford (ranked 36) easily, I was at that game and the score actually doesn't reflect how in control of the game Galax really was, their only true touchdown came on a wild trick play that even then would of been intercepted but the Galax defender mistimed his jump on the ball. The other 2 touchdowns came late in the game once Coach Dixion took out his starters. Northside (ranked 18) was a whole other monster all together, They have Division 1 talent all over the field and it showed, but once again Galax was able to move the ball on them as well just couldn't finish when they got in the redzone and I'm not making any excuses but that's to be expected playing a 3A school...

Chilhowie seems to think they are going to speed their way to a victory but one thing I seriously think a lot of them are overlooking is that Galax also has speed all over the place! Galax is also healthy for kinda the first time of the entire season going into the playoffs and its definitely showing on the scoreboard.

This is one of those classic games where one team finesses (Chilhowie) their way into the endzone with misdirection and such and the other lines them up, hits you right under your chin and runs right at you (Galax) Im excited to see how its gonna play out. I do think Chilhowie is a very good team...but I don't see them beating Galax this year. IF they do I can promise you I will be the first rooting for them in the State Championship

Glad the game has been moved to Emory...we can really see what both these teams have to offer now!!

I agree not taking anything away from Chilhowie, to be undefeated at this point in the season is a great accomplishment but there schedule was pretty weak. Like Mike Tyson said Everybody has a plan tell they get punched in the mouth!! Chilhowie is going to get punched in the mouth and it remains to be seen if they punch back. Hopefully both 1A games are great and without injuries.

I am one of those Chilhowie fans that thinks Chilhowie will win. However it's not going to be a blow out. Like it has been said this isn't the same team as last year. They are quicker and stronger. Im sure Galax is the same. I have watched every Chilhowie game and they are playing with a different attitude this year. They don't look over anyone and keep their focus on the task at hand. So people still look at the past and still sees the latter years team. Not this year.
Yes Galax has been battled test and looked good against bigger teams. But they have played in a lull against teams that they should have beaten easily.

I'm sure they will get punched in the chin but this team doesn't have a glass jaw. Chilhowie does punch back. Finesse won't be how they get into the end zone. Most of their weapons go through people. I only get tired of people saying that they have to prove themselves. They have accomplished a lot in the past 2 years. They should be proud and hold their heads high, no matter the outcome. I have the top most respect for Galax. They have set the standards for the West but i think it is still Chilhowie's turn once again to make it to Salem. If they don't I will still cheer for Galax.

It's going to be one of the best games of the season. Whoever is coming up to the game, be safe in your travels. Good luck to both team. Hope there aren't any injuries.

I am one of those Chilhowie fans that thinks Chilhowie will win. However it's not going to be a blow out. Like it has been said this isn't the same team as last year. They are quicker and stronger. Im sure Galax is the same. I have watched every Chilhowie game and they are playing with a different attitude this year. They don't look over anyone and keep their focus on the task at hand. So people still look at the past and still sees the latter years team. Not this year.
Yes Galax has been battled test and looked good against bigger teams. But they have played in a lull against teams that they should have beaten easily.

I'm sure they will get punched in the chin but this team doesn't have a glass jaw. Chilhowie does punch back. Finesse won't be how they get into the end zone. Most of their weapons go through people. I only get tired of people saying that they have to prove themselves. They have accomplished a lot in the past 2 years. They should be proud and hold their heads high, no matter the outcome. I have the top most respect for Galax. They have set the standards for the West but i think it is still Chilhowie's turn once again to make it to Salem. If they don't I will still cheer for Galax.

It's going to be one of the best games of the season. Whoever is coming up to the game, be safe in your travels. Good luck to both team. Hope there aren't any injuries.

Well said Sir. Neither team will have anything to hold their heads down for. They both have worked hard and battled their way to this point. Not to many kids can say they made it to the semi finals, much less two years in a row.

I hope it clears up and no one gets hurt. As whichever team makes it will need to be at full strength to play River heads, lol.

I too think Chilhowie will win. Its hard not to think your own team will win and even harder not to express that on a message board. I ran my mouth (or keyboard) on here after the Galax/Narrows game, I should have never done that and I ended up sounding like an arrogant idiot. I've been waiting on this game since last year, like many of you Galax's fans have. No matter the outcome, this will be an incredible game by two of SWVA's most elite teams. I'm not sure how Galax's fans travel, but I wish you a safe trip down the road and you may wish to get there early as Emory's visitor section is about the same size of Galax's.

Reactions: WhudeyCHS
I too think Chilhowie will win. Its hard not to think your own team will win and even harder not to express that on a message board. I ran my mouth (or keyboard) on here after the Galax/Narrows game, I should have never done that and I ended up sounding like an arrogant idiot. I've been waiting on this game since last year, like many of you Galax's fans have. No matter the outcome, this will be an incredible game by two of SWVA's most elite teams. I'm not sure how Galax's fans travel, but I wish you a safe trip down the road and you may wish to get there early as Emory's visitor section is about the same size of Galax's.
I'm sure it will be packed with football fans from all over, not just from Chilhowie and Galax, so it would be a good idea to get there early like you said.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
We all going to set on home side.LOL! Get to meet some good people that way! That would be alot of fun. SWVA people are the best!!!

Last edited:
Galax Head Coach Mark Dixon was interviewed on the SWVA Sports podcast. He talked about the matchup with chilhowie.

Listen to it here. Dixon interview starts around 11:50
http://coalfieldsports.com/2018/11/...s-picks-coachs-corner-with-galaxs-mark-dixon/

Or Listen on your iPhone here
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/swva-sports-podcast/id1413644315?mt=2&i=1000424822527
Very good interview I am truly thankful my kid has gotten to play under him. He teaches alot of life lessons everyday.

9sfew4.jpg

This is a current picture of the field.

Last edited:
9sfew4.jpg

This is a current picture of the field.
I understand your frustration in the game being moved and yes from that picture of the field seems to be ok on the surface but underneath it's probably still pretty saturated. I have a feeling VHSL made the move do to the rain that was and is coming in. If we get all the rain the field would probably be in pretty bad shape half way through the 1st quarter with 22 big strong kids running, pushing and hitting each other. With the game being moved to Emory and Henry at least Chilhowie would be used to the turf field if they win.

I understand your frustration in the game being moved and yes from that picture of the field seems to be ok on the surface but underneath it's probably still pretty saturated. I have a feeling VHSL made the move do to the rain that was and is coming in. If we get all the rain the field would probably be in pretty bad shape half way through the 1st quarter with 22 big strong kids running, pushing and hitting each other. With the game being moved to Emory and Henry at least Chilhowie would be used to the turf field if they win.

I'm sure you are right about the field. I think the frustration comes from several different sides.

Some that have seniors on the team, such as myself, are frustrated because if we would have known that last week was the last time we would see our children play in Warrior stadium, the win would have been that much sweeter. Some frustration is probably coming from the concessions because I'm sure they made purchases to make sure they had plenty of refreshments to serve the crowds and it also is a good fund raiser for the band and football team. Some other complaints are because restaurants were excited about the business they would be getting maybe before and after the game. Other frustrations are just blown out of proportion. Some say it is only 10 mins differences but it's just not the same as the playing in your own stadium for a state semi and atmosphere being even more electric. I myself don't care whether it is played in Chilhowie or Emory because I feel Chilhowie will win this contest in a close game. I just figured I would give some insight to why the move is a big deal to some. If they hadn't have ok'd it at the beginning of the week there might not be as much( not saying there wouldn't be any) hype about the move. All in all, it is what it is.

I'm sure you are right about the field. I think the frustration comes from several different sides.

Some that have seniors on the team, such as myself, are frustrated because if we would have known that last week was the last time we would see our children play in Warrior stadium, the win would have been that much sweeter. Some frustration is probably coming from the concessions because I'm sure they made purchases to make sure they had plenty of refreshments to serve the crowds and it also is a good fund raiser for the band and football team. Some other complaints are because restaurants were excited about the business they would be getting maybe before and after the game. Other frustrations are just blown out of proportion. Some say it is only 10 mins differences but it's just not the same as the playing in your own stadium for a state semi and atmosphere being even more electric. I myself don't care whether it is played in Chilhowie or Emory because I feel Chilhowie will win this contest in a close game. I just figured I would give some insight to why the move is a big deal to some. If they hadn't have ok'd it at the beginning of the week there might not be as much( not saying there wouldn't be any) hype about the move. All in all, it is what it is.
I completely understand the part about the kids. I am sure they would of took more time to savior the moment after the win last week.
Maybe the VHSL can reimburse for the concessions? Hopefully

I completely understand the part about the kids. I am sure they would of took more time to savior the moment after the win last week.
Maybe the VHSL can reimburse for the concessions? Hopefully
You guys got robbed out playing on your field in front of your community. You just lost your homefield advantage nothing compares playing a state game at home to punch your ticket for a shot at a championship. You should use this a motivating factor to your fan base ( show up and showout!).

You guys got robbed out playing on your field in front of your community. You just lost your homefield advantage nothing compares playing a state game at home to punch your ticket for a shot at a championship. You should use this a motivating factor to your fan base ( show up and showout!).
Guess you drove down and checked the field out before making that statement. I haven't personally seen the field so I don't what kind of shape it's in other than what it looked like last week and that it was supposed to rain out there last night, today and possibly tomorrow. As I said earlier I can definitely understand their frustration but I'm guessing the VHSL made the decision to move the game 10 miles down the road due to the field already being saturated with more rain in the forecast but like I said I'm just guessing.

According to WCYB who was live just a few minutes ago at the school. VHSL is currently looking at the field with boots on the ground and are open to alternative sites other than Emory if the elect not to allow the game at Chilhowie. A decision will be made at 2:30pm.

According to WCYB who was live just a few minutes ago at the school. VHSL is currently looking at the field with boots on the ground and are open to alternative sites other than Emory if the elect not to allow the game at Chilhowie. A decision will be made at 2:30pm.
Just curious where else would make sense? And I'm not asking to stir anything up because I don't know enough about other fields around that area.

Just curious where else would make sense? And I'm not asking to stir anything up because I don't know enough about other fields around that area.
Are we forgetting this is Dam Football not ring around the posy ! Weather is a element of the game sorry. Chilhowie should be upset if this game is moved, they earned the right to host and should do so, heck if Galax dosent want to play they should forfeit im not saying Galax is complaining but moving the game favors them.

Have you heard anything yet?

No disrespect to the warrior fans on here that post quiet a bit. But this has gotten out of hand I just spent the last hour on my lunch break on social media watching people from Chilhowie bash Galax because they say they caused it. BS You Don't see Radford in here blaming Graham do you?
I have heard multiple times on here Chilhowie would beat Galax anytime anywhere Well Chilhowie has practiced on Emory field this week while Galax has practiced on grass. If anyone thinks Dixon lobbied to get this game moved you are kidding yourself Just play the game. I would rather know I beat Galax because I am better then they are. But your fans on social media are proving a point that they don't think they can beat Galax on a level playing field. And don't give me that BS that it's about more than that, concessions and such. If it was about that they would be bashing the VHSL not Galax.. Again I am sorry you three guys that post seem like good guys but the bashing of Galax by your towns people is embarrassing on a state level. If you want to play on a grass field come to Grayson we have the same grass as you the only difference is ours has been took care of and is green.

Last edited:
No disrespect tonthe warrior fans on here that post quiet a bit. But this has gotten out of hand I just spent the last hour on my lunch break on social media watching people form Chilhowie bash Galax because they say they caused it. BS You Don tsee Radford in here blaming Graham do you?
I have heard multiple time son here Chilhowie would beat Galax anytime anywhere Well Chilhowie has practiced on Emory field this week while Galax has practiced on grass. If anyone thinks Dixon lobbied to get this game moved you are kidding yourself Just play the game. I would rather know beat Galax because eI am better then they are. But your fans on social media are proving a point that they don't think they can beat Galax on a level playing field. And don't give me that BS that it's about more than that, concessions and such. If it was about that they would be bashing the VHSL not Galax.. Again I am sorry you three guys that post seem like good guys but the bashing of Galax by your towns people is embarrassing on a state level. If you want to play on a grass field come to Grayson we have the same grass as you the only difference is ours has been took care of and is green.

I'm with you at this point. Just play the game. If not at Chilhowie play at Emory. Its not Galax's fault this has happened, its the VHSL. Hopefully this will bring an end to home field state games and play all future on a neutral field. I was ready to go to Emory tomorrow and move on. I'm just reporting facts here from what the I get on my WCYB newsfeed. I don't want to go to some other school and play, that makes home field advantage a moot point when you play at Northwood.

Chilhowie got freaking hosed.

Reactions: trutiger16
Essex has never lost a home playoff game (at least in the last decade and they have played a lot of playoff games).

VHSL ruled against Essex after Western teams complaints. Essex has lost two state semis games that were supposed to be home as they earned home-field but were forced to play away. One was against Galax.

Essex did not have enough permanent seating was the reason (but brought it in).

The VHSL after complaints from someone just plain screwed over Chilhowie it sounds like to me. Demand concessions reimbursements from the VHSL.

Chilhowie Principal should have done more to fight for his people. At least it is close.

Reactions: trutiger16
Essex has never lost a home playoff game (at least in the last decade and they have played a lot of playoff games).

VHSL ruled against Essex after Western teams complaints. Essex has lost two state semis games that were supposed to be home as they earned home-field but were forced to play away. One was against Galax.

Essex did not have enough permanent seating was the reason (but brought it in).

The VHSL after complaints from someone just plain screwed over Chilhowie it sounds like to me. Demand concessions reimbursements from the VHSL.

Chilhowie Principal should have done more to fight for his people. At least it is close.
Galax had nothing to do with the Essex game being moved nor did they have this game moved....It was VHSL that moved it to Emory which is 10 miles down the road but I don't think Chilhowie liked the fact it was turf so they had it moved to a grass field.

Galax had nothing to do with the Essex game being moved nor did they have this game moved....It was VHSL that moved it to Emory which is 10 miles down the road but I don't think Chilhowie liked the fact it was turf so they had it moved to a grass field.

I agree with that.

It was Parry McCluer and Fort Chiswell. They got their a-- whipped and cried about it.

I have no issue with Galax just pointing out that they were able to benefit from it as Essex had to play almost an hour from their home.

The thing about it is, it's not the players complaining about where it is and that's where it should matter..not what the fans want. They aren't the ones that are going to playing the game. They should have asked the players there opinion before moving it again. I don't think they care. They just want to play. And this bickering about what field it is going to be played on, is taking away from this special playoff atmosphere. All I can say is be careful what you wish for.

The thing about it is, it's not the players complaining about where it is and that's where it should matter..not what the fans want. They aren't the ones that are going to playing the game. They should have asked the players there opinion before moving it again. I don't think they care. They just want to play. And this bickering about what field it is going to be played on, is taking away from this special playoff atmosphere. All I can say is be careful what you wish for.

I am confused. I have never been to those stadiums (but love SW Virginia people - they are awesome friendly folks).

So Chilhowie is now happy about the move or just making the best of a situation?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT