ADVERTISEMENT

Galax @ Chilhowie

MT FAN 91

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 19, 2013
Thoughts on this game? Some have said Galax couldn't even beat PH Glade Spring that Chilhowie destroyed today if that's the case it will be another blow out next week. Some have said Galax is better and to physical for Chilhowie. I personally think it will be a hell of a game between two good teams if they both play to their capabilities and of course I have to go with Galax to pull it out. I hope the field dries out and is much better shape next week.

Reactions: MT2023
Chilhowie Warriors will host the Galax Maroon Tide Saturday at 1:30pm at Warrior Stadium. If you've never been to Warrior Stadium as a guest, we have plenty of seating for the visiting team fans. The food is delicious as well. Parking is plenteous as you can park across the street from the high school at the shopping center. Like many, I've been waiting 13 weeks for this game and saw this collision course forming in week 2 of the season. It will be a great game either way, no matter who comes out on top. Happy to host the Tide!

Should be a great game between 2 very good teams. Chilhowie is clearly the real deal and their scores show that. Their schedule is essentially the same as last year and they beat Galax close. The score differentials between this year and last year aren't even in the ballpark. Chilhowie will be and should be favored. I think either team has the ability to beat Riverheads. It will be a tall task, but both teams can play with Riverheads, especially Chilhowie.

How much has each team improved? Chilhowie has played well all year winning by wide margins and honed their game to a fine point. Galax has had a rough and tumble year playing down to their competition at time and also handling some power house 2A teams to win or at least make a good showing. Who prevails? Sounds like this one will be a very good game to view.

I pray the Galax radio guys travel to do this game so the known world can hear it. The station from Marion is horrid and that’s being nice.

The visiting stands are very nice the hotdogs are good. The field is atrocious!! If it rains anymore this week the game should be moved to another site, like Emory and Henry. The visiting players are standing in 6 inches of water and both teams had a hard time getting footing.

The visiting stands are very nice the hotdogs are good. The field is atrocious!! If it rains anymore this week the game should be moved to another site, like Emory and Henry. The visiting players are standing in 6 inches of water and both teams had a hard time getting footing.

The long range forecast is showing a dry week. If that holds true, the field should be okay.

Reactions: Optimal62
How much has each team improved? Chilhowie has played well all year winning by wide margins and honed their game to a fine point. Galax has had a rough and tumble year playing down to their competition at time and also handling some power house 2A teams to win or at least make a good showing. Who prevails? Sounds like this one will be a very good game to view.

I pray the Galax radio guys travel to do this game so the known world can hear it. The station from Marion is horrid and that’s being nice.

Chilhowie has played some good teams. PHs only losses were to Warriors, they beat GW, 8-2 John Burton, 2A playoff team Virginia High (37-7), a pretty good Grundy team, etc... Galax has a much t tougher schedule, but their common opponent in reg season was GW, who Galax beat by 7 and Chilhowie won 39-0.

but Galax CRUSHED GW in playoffs so it's moot.

I would say both have improved since last year. Chilhowie is even more potent than last year while Galax has diversified their offense some. Losing their leading rusher was not used as an excuse last year but having to adjust to that had to affect them. I would say both have many more weapons that are utilized so it will be interesting how they are able to hold up defensively to. Can’t wait to see how this plays out. I will personally be a little occupied with a rooting interest in another game but really curious as to how this game goes.

That wouldn't be smart to move it Emory and Henry because it is turf. Even though I think Chilhowie can beat Galax on either kind of field, that would be giving them some of the edge back because their field is turf. That is the point to having home field advantage. The Warriors do fine on their field and it should be fine to play on come Saturday.

Last edited:
I think it will be another barn burner like last year between 2 great teams. Both teams have weapons all over the field. I just think Chilhowie has more and will be harder to defend. I also think that Chilhowie has a little better defense so they should make enough stops to win the game. It will be however a great game between 2 potential State Champs!!

The comment was made yesterday from A chilhowie fan that Galax would get beat by PH easily and Chilhowie has a speed advantage and alot more weapons. As well as you feel confident that Chilhowie would beat Galax on any field. So why wouldn't you want it moved?

It would give Chilhowie an extra week on a turf field like Salem's. Turf will only benefit the team with more weapons and speed and E&H is like 10 minutes away, so basically a home game.

I'm not knocking Chilhowies facilities at all although that field was terrible today. I was very afraid a kid was going to get hurt today. With the they way the game will be next week , kids flying around someone could get seriously hurt and greatly affect their chances in the finals.

The weather channel has a possibility of rain Thursday night, Friday, Friday night and Saturday for Chilhowie....it's only Monday so maybe that will change.

The comment was made yesterday from A chilhowie fan that Galax would get beat by PH easily and Chilhowie has a speed advantage and alot more weapons. As well as you feel confident that Chilhowie would beat Galax on any field. So why wouldn't you want it moved?

It would give Chilhowie an extra week on a turf field like Salem's. Turf will only benefit the team with more weapons and speed and E&H is like 10 minutes away, so basically a home game.

I'm not knocking Chilhowies facilities at all although that field was terrible today. I was very afraid a kid was going to get hurt today. With the they way the game will be next week , kids flying around someone could get seriously hurt and greatly affect their chances in the finals.

The weather has been crap for the past month on Friday's it seems. I like the idea of playing at Emory. Beautiful setting and nice field. As you said the field Saturday was A mess and if it rains like they are saying it will be even worse as their will be no drying up this week. Plus Emory would be a home field pretty much for Chilhowie and would help them be ready for the field next week in Salem. I hope the AD's make the right decision for the kids here. If it's in good shape play at Chilhowie, if not move it.

Most of the rest of the state has made the decision to move the games when needed.I was told this morning that Radford is looking at moving theirs if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
I don’t think they’ll change the venue. They’re working on the field. If they were even considering the idea I don’t think they would be doing that. Also I heard that they have ordered a tarp for the visiting team to stand on. Could be just talk I don’t know.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
This is all in fun!

2r4lgt3.jpg

2lwkx8n.jpg

All joking aside the long term forecast for Chilhowie continues to get worse, looks like a descent amount of rain Thursday night through Saturday. I have a feeling the field will be soup by end of 1st quarter. I don't know what they can do to the field to make it better but I hope they figure out something.

New to the site, been catching up on some of the latest material. I just want to first state that hats off to Chilhowie for a great year and a dominating performance against us Saturday.Our boys did not come to play, yours did and the best team won that day. Would love to see region D come home with the hardware in both 1a and 2a. With that being said let me air a grievance.
The field conditions Saturday was not fitting to have a Region championship game. From the first play you could tell we would be in for a long day as our backs could not get footing. Coach Robinson even bragged about it in the paper after the game as to he knew the filed would be to their advantage. Not saying it would of affected the final outcome of our game although the score would of been much different in my opinion. Again not giving this as an excuse because I feel Chilhowie was certainly the better team that day. My thoughts are that a game of that importance should not be played in subpar field conditions. Although that is the game of football and I can accept it just like I did Saturday

What I absolutely cannot accept is this. No team I repeat NO TEAM should have to stand in standing water on the sidelines!!!! I get it if a down pore happened during the game and caused the issue. That was not the case Saturday. The school could have addressed the issue and chose not to. If you want to be considered one of the Elite programs in 1A, you need to act like it. Treat your opposing team better than that.

So here is the news I heard this evening. VHSL must have heard everyone's concerns. They arrived at Warrior Stadium today to inspect the field. After observation from the Virginia High School League, the field at Chilhowie High School has been approved for the state-semi final game to be hosted this Saturday at 1:30pm. I myself have mixed feelings on this decision, if it indeed is raining on Saturday.

Last edited:
So here is the news I heard this evening. VHSL must have heard everyone's concerns. They arrived at Warrior Stadium today to inspect the field. After observation from the Virginia High School League, the field at Chilhowie High School has been approved for the state-semi final game to be hosted this Saturday at 1:30pm. I myself have mixed feelings on this decision, if it indeed is raining on Saturday.
My concern is the forecast for Thurs through Sat, the field will not be same as it was today with that amount of rain. I still think they should call Emory and have a back up plan just in case.

Reactions: Optimal62
And it's not like Chilhowie doesn't have speed and an explosive offense, it slows them down as much as anyone. A kid doesn't rush for over 5,000 career yards or a QB doesn't have like 60 career TDs if they aren't fast and explosive. Maybe not as much as Galax, maybe more who knows, but the field is the same for both teams. It won't magically become dry when Chilhowie has the ball lol

The weather does look bad and it certainly won't help. I just don't want to see a kid get hurt.

And it's not like Chilhowie doesn't have speed and an explosive offense, it slows them down as much as anyone. A kid doesn't rush for over 5,000 career yards or a QB doesn't have like 60 career TDs if they aren't fast and explosive. Maybe not as much as Galax, maybe more who knows, but the field is the same for both teams. It won't magically become dry when Chilhowie has the ball lol
Nobody ever said the field wasn't the same for both teams. I for one would like to see a good field so we can see everything these two can throw at each other. It is what it is and Chilhowie doesn't control the weather so we will both just have to play on a more than likely muddy field and hope it doesn't affect the outcome for either team and doesn't cause any injures. May the better team win.

Reactions: WhudeyCHS
Is this game going to be streaming or broadcast on the radio?

Galax typically streams all games on Youtube. I assume this game will be as well. A link is usually provided on the home screen of the school system website. The Galax radio broadcast can be accessed on the TuneIn Radio App. Search WCGX The Cat.

Awesome. Thank you.

Reactions: sixcat
Galax typically streams all games on Youtube. I assume this game will be as well. A link is usually provided on the home screen of the school system website. The Galax radio broadcast can be accessed on the TuneIn Radio App. Search WCGX The Cat.

That's awesome, thanks!

Reactions: sixcat
Thank goodness the Galax radio guys are going over to cover it. The radio guys for Chilhowie were horrible the two times I have listened. Good luck and safe travels to both teams

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT