ADVERTISEMENT

Galax @ Chilhowie

The Town of Chilhowie Economic Development Director wrote a letter to a state delegate, Bill Carrico, who represents the area, who coincidentally attended and played football at Chilhowie, requesting an intervention with VHSL. Carrico replied openly on Facebook with his response to VHSL.

Now the game is being played at the worst of the three facilities scheduled to host.

This fiasco will be instrumental in leading to all state semifinals and finals being at neutral sites.

I am confused. I have never been to those stadiums (but love SW Virginia people - they are awesome friendly folks).

So Chilhowie is now happy about the move or just making the best of a situation?
It's hard to tell. I was over it on the first move. Yeah it stunk but it was what it was. At least it would have been a good recruiting opportunity for Emory and the kids

haha yal are crazy if you think Coach Dixon said anything about any field of any kind. He would take his team to play on gravel and play. I know there were some complaints about the last game played at Chilhowie im wondering if that sparked someone to look at it and move it. To me it dosent matter where they play I thought Chilhowie would be more open to playing on turf due to their style, and Galax's ability to ground and pound; a nice muddy field would benefit them as well in my opinion. Northwood is still in Smyth County and pretty much a home game as far as people getting to the game. Attendance wont suffer not one person that was going to the game will change there minds no matter where the game is.

I agree with that.

It was Parry McCluer and Fort Chiswell. They got their a-- whipped and cried about it.

I have no issue with Galax just pointing out that they were able to benefit from it as Essex had to play almost an hour from their home.

I dont think PM fans cried about it.. not sure, didnt go. I missed that game because the jeep I had just bought broke down that night.. first offroading experience for me in that thing was when it was put on the rollback LOL!!

Anyway, I thought that whole fiasco was brought about by FC fans from what I recall, but could be wrong.

Essex has never lost a home playoff game (at least in the last decade and they have played a lot of playoff games).

VHSL ruled against Essex after Western teams complaints. Essex has lost two state semis games that were supposed to be home as they earned home-field but were forced to play away. One was against Galax.

Essex did not have enough permanent seating was the reason (but brought it in).

The VHSL after complaints from someone just plain screwed over Chilhowie it sounds like to me. Demand concessions reimbursements from the VHSL.

Chilhowie Principal should have done more to fight for his people. At least it is close.

Haysi NEVER complained about playing Essex at their home field. We wanted to play it there. The VHSL just simply wouldn't allow them to because of their seating.

Darn has the West gotten that soft, heck I remember when teams and fans would play you in dark alley just strap up lets GO ! Essex and Northumberland never complain in the rain event last week kudos to them !

The Town of Chilhowie Economic Development Director wrote a letter to a state delegate, Bill Carrico, who represents the area, who coincidentally attended and played football at Chilhowie, requesting an intervention with VHSL. Carrico replied openly on Facebook with his response to VHSL.

Now the game is being played at the worst of the three facilities scheduled to host.

This fiasco will be instrumental in leading to all state semifinals and finals being at neutral sites.
I was wondering why they move it Emory

Well this little controversy seems silly. Why was it moved in the first place and more importantly why did it get pulled from that facility which surely had to be the best of the three options? Not sure who has mud on their face but this is quite the quagmire.

Reactions: trutiger16
Well this little controversy seems silly. Why was it moved in the first place and more importantly why did it get pulled from that facility which surely had to be the best of the three options? Not sure who has mud on their face but this is quite the quagmire.
Somebody with high influence is involved, this was a knee jerk decision for sure.

Haha I guess someone form Galax complaining is the reason the other three games was moved as well.[/QUOTE
The real FOOTBALL PEOPLE in Galax had nothing to do with this. The conditions favor you. I feel the community of Chilhowie deserves to host this game on the reward of the work that these young men have done. I don't care who wins but its a special event to be in front of your community doing great things creating memories for life. Ask them folks in GREENVILLE what the environment will be like tomorrow, why Chilhowie shouldn't be able to create that ?

I dont think PM fans cried about it.. not sure, didnt go. I missed that game because the jeep I had just bought broke down that night.. first offroading experience for me in that thing was when it was put on the rollback LOL!!

Anyway, I thought that whole fiasco was brought about by FC fans from what I recall, but could be wrong.

mmqp - you are a cool poster - yes, it was mostly Fort Chiswell - (some interesting people there....)

but some at PM did complain - they said they were going to report Essex to the VHSL (for being poor I guess).

Heck, I was there after the game when an assistant coach and some parents cussed at our head coach. He apologized for not having better facilities like three times and they kept going on so he walked away.

I think I said thanks for coming - now take your beating and have safe home.

Reactions: mmqp
Haysi NEVER complained about playing Essex at their home field. We wanted to play it there. The VHSL just simply wouldn't allow them to because of their seating.

Haysi was awesome. Remember the tribute video Essex made for Haysi's community about their final season.

It was the other two schools I mentioned.

So clearly the only Chilhowie fans that have any lick sense are actually on this page and I wish you all would go talk to the rest of them cause this has gotten completely out of hand and they are making the entire community of Chilhowie look bad...

I have a family member that works for the VHSL and I can actually confirm that it was a school member and two families from PH that called and complained about Chilhowie’s football field. They got one, yes count it one, call from someone from Galax who simply asked what we’re Chilhowie’s field conditions like. She said they haven’t gotten a single call from anyone at Galax calling in and complaining about the field...Anyone who knows the Galax community and anyone who knows coach Dixon knows they have better things to do with their time than to complain about a football field!! If the VSHL had said the game had to be played in the middle of a lake Galax’s players and coaches would of threw on their swimming trunks and balled out!! Even last year one of the comments Chilhowie’s on coach made was that Galax’s players had the most sportsmanship of any team had seen in an extremely long time. They’d knock you on ur back then turn around and help you up.

The sad reality is that now if/when Galax wins it will forever be said that it’s because the game got moved, the other sad issue is that this isn’t the only game that got moved this weekend yet it’s the only one with whining and pouting.

I mean HEEELLLOO Chilhowie had an opportunity to play on turf which would of made there own team even faster, as well as play in a college stadium in front of college recruits.

So clearly the only Chilhowie fans that have any lick sense are actually on this page and I wish you all would go talk to the rest of them cause this has gotten completely out of hand and they are making the entire community of Chilhowie look bad...

I have a family member that works for the VHSL and I can actually confirm that it was a school member and two families from PH that called and complained about Chilhowie’s football field. They got one, yes count it one, call from someone from Galax who simply asked what we’re Chilhowie’s field conditions like. She said they haven’t gotten a single call from anyone at Galax calling in and complaining about the field...Anyone who knows the Galax community and anyone who knows coach Dixon knows they have better things to do with their time than to complain about a football field!! If the VSHL had said the game had to be played in the middle of a lake Galax’s players and coaches would of threw on their swimming trunks and balled out!! Even last year one of the comments Chilhowie’s on coach made was that Galax’s players had the most sportsmanship of any team had seen in an extremely long time. They’d knock you on ur back then turn around and help you up.

The sad reality is that now if/when Galax wins it will forever be said that it’s because the game got moved, the other sad issue is that this isn’t the only game that got moved this weekend yet it’s the only one with whining and pouting.

I mean HEEELLLOO Chilhowie had an opportunity to play on turf which would of made there own team even faster, as well as play in a college stadium in front of college recruits.

Yes it was most likely someone who Chilhowie had already played.

Chilhowie has some of the meanest, rudest fans around. I will apologize in advance for what you will hear tomorrow. It's sad I know.

I was upset when we initially lost the venue, but you can't blame Galax, it wasn't their decision. I have no idea what to make of this Saltville debacle.
Me personally, I was over it and ready to go to Emory and get me a nice seat. This game will have an "*" beside of it no matter who wins.

Chilhowie has some of the meanest, rudest fans around. I will apologize in advance for what you will hear tomorrow. It's sad I know.

I was upset when we initially lost the venue, but you can't blame Galax, it wasn't their decision. I have no idea what to make of this Saltville debacle.
Me personally, I was over it and ready to go to Emory and get me a nice seat. This game will have an "*" beside of it no matter who wins.

You still agreed to buy me a hotdog no matter where we're playing tomorrow.lol

Reactions: MT FAN 91
I agree with that.

It was Parry McCluer and Fort Chiswell. They got their a-- whipped and cried about it.

I have no issue with Galax just pointing out that they were able to benefit from it as Essex had to play almost an hour from their home.

They are not the reason Essex had games moved. Now on to Galax/Chilhowie game, after game was moved. Why would Chilhowie rather play at Northwood than Emory?

Last edited:
Reactions: Daddy_rabbit
They are not the reason Essex had games moved. Now on to Galax/Chilhowie game, after game was moved. Why would Chilhowie rather play at Northwood than Emory?

Since VHSL came back down, they were giving 3 choices Marion, Rural Retreat, and Northwood. Northwood got the call. The other 2 had other reasons that they couldn't play on. I hope other fans are happy about the decision.

Essex is the reason Essex doesn’t get the privilege of hosting...it is what it is! Nothing changes by complaining about where the games are played.
Gonna go out on a limb here and say that this is likely the first and last time we ever see a state semi game played in Saltville va. Can’t wait to see how this all plays out tomorrow.
May the best team win and hope to see a good football game in saltvegas!!!

Reactions: WhudeyCHS
The only reason the game got moved again was because Chilhowie fans called and complained. And they may have stuck their own foot in their mouth.

Here’s my reasoning:
Chilhowie has speed and likes to get their backs on the outside and would need to do so against Galax’s D. Because for the most part Galax’s D-Line is a serious wall up front. Even NorthSide which is a 3A school couldn’t move the ball up the gut on these guys. So being on turf would have allowed Chilhowie an advantage with the type of plays they like to call...not saying it would work but they would have an advantage.
Now with potential rain and muddy conditions Chilhowie will have to rely on strength at times, and that is where Galax is going to get them. Not saying Chilhowie isn’t strong because I agree they do look different this year...But your dealing with a team (Galax) who not only is also strong but are also extremely well trained in gaps and technique.
They have also clicked and peaked at the right time.

Because it's turf at Emory and they want Galax on grass

Reactions: sixcat
This was just posted on the other site. It went from it being about the loss of money from concessions and Galax complaining to this.. This article in the their hometown paper states it was about not wanting to play Galax on Turf is why they didn't want it at Emory,. As well as they are not going to take concessions to sell at the game. SMH.

Reactions: sixcat
Maybe I dont get it it or it was subtle but I didn’t see that stated in the article. I did find it interesting that it said that three sites were offered but E&H wasn’t mentioned as one of the options. So to that point I suppose I can see where someone would infer that Chilhowie only wanted to play on grass.

Maybe I dont get it it or it was subtle but I didn’t see that stated in the article. I did find it interesting that it said that three sites were offered but E&H wasn’t mentioned as one of the options. So to that point I suppose I can see where someone would infer that Chilhowie only wanted to play on grass.
It stated in the article that they didn't want to play on turf as they felt it gives Galax an advantage.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Late radar shows SWVA heavy rain at kickoff ? Light rain for Greenville . We shall see ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT