ADVERTISEMENT

Galax @ George Wythe thoughts?

MT FAN 91

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 19, 2013
If GW is as good as advertised and Galax continues to play sloppy uninspired football this game could ugly quick. Galax maybe 3-0 but they certainly haven't looked good doing so. Don't know for sure what the problem is with Galax but a good old fashion butt kicking maybe what they need to get things going in the right direction and if they continue to play like they have so far this year that's exactly what they're going to get.

I hope both teams come out and play to there full ability. GW hasn't played a full game yet they will play a half and let up. Now when they do play it is something very special to watch. This game has so much potential and the house will be packed.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Galax v GW - Definitely 1A Virginia's Game of the Week!

Keep us posted! I know that Galax has a great coach (do not know much about GW).

Our coach has 2 years of head coaching. Both have been at GW last season and this season. And between my weekly game post and MT this game will be very well covered lol. And as far as GW hudl and maxpreps has some highlights. We returned our whole O line that averages 6'3 280. 3rd year QB with literally 8-10 skill players to throw to not counting our 3 headed RB attack.

Last edited:
It should be a hell of a game, but from what I've heard, GW is pretty strong. I think they could even challenge at the 2A level. It's too bad GW doesn't play Giles or Graham this year. Those would be two teams that could test just how good they really are.

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
It should be a hell of a game, but from what I've heard, GW is pretty strong. I think they could even challenge at the 2A level. It's too bad GW doesn't play Giles or Graham this year. Those would be two teams that could test just how good they really are.
I'd love for GW to still play Giles yeah they beat the breaks off us a few times. But it always made us better. And I think it would be really fun to see how our speed and size matched up with Grahams speed.

Galax vs GW Friday should be a very good game. Talk about Galax getting possibly
Blown out is ridiculous. Coach Dixon will right his ship this week in Galax; he is not
Going to GW to be embrassed.
Just my 2 cents worth of FB, Dixon will try to control the ball as much as possible.
A shorter game is to Galax advantage; GW is so explosive on offensive, he should
Not want GW to have the ball to many series.
My thoughts, GW by 7-10. DEFENDING STATE CHAMPS play with a lot of Pride!

Reactions: obguthr
Galax vs GW Friday should be a very good game. Talk about Galax getting possibly
Blown out is ridiculous. Coach Dixon will right his ship this week in Galax; he is not
Going to GW to be embrassed.
Just my 2 cents worth of FB, Dixon will try to control the ball as much as possible.
A shorter game is to Galax advantage; GW is so explosive on offensive, he should
Not want GW to have the ball to many series.
My thoughts, GW by 7-10. DEFENDING STATE CHAMPS play with a lot of Pride!
I hope you are right but I'm telling you if Galax plays like they have the first 3 weeks and GW is as good as advertised this game will get a way from Galax. I know coach Dixon will have a good game plan it's just a matter of getting the kids to carry out that plan. So far this year Galax has looked sloppy and uninspired, hopefully that changes this week and we all get to see a great game.

Sorry guys, this post should be in the Hurley/Richlands thread........that is my
Mistake, just like losing my Medicare card in the Church collection plate !!!

Yep, them Olde Warriors got their legs back under them this past weekend
At Twin Springs, but they face a long road starting with 2A Tazewell, which is
Playing some good ball. I did not get to go to the game, but Chilhowie had 3
Starters out with injuries and still won.
They have improved this year, and have several very talented skill players, and
A O line that averages about 260, which is big for us. I think the entire Basketball
Team is playing football, so the talent is there; it is just getting that winning attitude
Back at CHS. One of the biggest problems is in my opinion is they are known
To lay a egg once or twice in the year and not be in the right frame of mind, and get
Embrassed..........i.e. the Marion game! I just hope they play Tazewell a good game.

P.S. Yep, after I lost my Medicare Card in the Church collection plate, 3 little olde
Ladies had hip replacement the next week!!!!

Last edited:
I'm going to give an edge to GW here (a small one), but we all know this a toss up. I'll be working or I'd be sitting on the hill Friday for sure.

I'll definitely be on the Hill Friday night. And this will be each teams 1st real test. And they are going to get at each other all night. Friday at 7 we all find out together what's what.

Galax D playing pretty good.But have not seen anybody like GW. Yet Best offense will win this game.
GW. 27-20

Galax folks, how many starters is back for the Tide this year from the State Champ
Team on O and how many on D?

No reply, so I guess none!
Don't know the exact number but they lost some key players, most notably Caleb Spurlin and Charles Harris. They also lost the starting center and some others off the line. Think a couple of d backs are gone as well but I think we are probably as good or better in the secondary. Spurlin was definitely the biggest loss for the Tide.

Good hopefully everyone will be geared up and healthy. If both teams show up and come ready this one will be fun to watch.

Galax good young secondary. Couple bright young stars with sophomores Josh Spurlin and Landon Dickson anchoring it. Much better than the tide has had past couple years. Think they should be able to stop the pass pretty easy. Can we stop Owens and can our offense generate enough to make it a game. My hunch is probably not. I expect a close game that both teams learn from with a very good chance of a rematch in the post season.

That's one thing I'm interested in to how the pass O and D will look for both sides. GW uses 5-7 WRs per game and they switch 1-2 skills players every play. It's a constant stream of skills players fun to watch when they come to play.

Who ever can throw the ball wins. No interceptions and can the QB. Be on target with all the pressure that they will be under?

This game may be played again in November, but as for tonight, this is by far
THE game in SWVA. Team that blocks and tackles the best, has the fewest
Mistakes ( penalties, turnovers, int's ) will probably win. Field position will be
Critical. I would think Galax would like to be able to control the clock, and limit
GW'S time of possessions. Two great teams, both former State Champs, and
Talent all over the field in this one.
Best of luck Blaster, Mt Fan, and Scags! They will be no losers in this one!

Last edited:
Reactions: MT FAN 91
Thanks Chilwar and couldn't agree more this game might be a preview for November.
Both teames will be better after this game they will force each other to play. Finally they both get a true test and they both need that. 7pm come on lol

And nobody will ba able to say I'm making things up or complaining lol. MT and Scag will be at the game to keep me in line haha.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT