ADVERTISEMENT

General Question

Oct 8, 2016
I was speaking with my co-workers son over the weekend and I congratulated him on his team making the playoffs. He dismissed it, and said "I don't play much, and didn't do anything." I gave him the old pep talk and told him every person contributes. Even made the great Rudy reference. After I got to wondering....

Would you rather play constantly on a not good team (3 or less wins), or ride the bench on a good team (6+ wins)?

Just wanted input to what could be a tricky question when your dealing with high school kids.

I guess it depends on why you are on the team. I knew some kids that just wanted to be part of the team and are happy to be on it, even if that means practicing 2 hours a day 4 days a week and not playing at all. Heck I knew some kids that hoped they did not have to play.

Me personally, I tried out because I wanted to play, not sit and watch the game. If I wanted to just watch the game, I would do that from the stands and not have to practice.

That's one of those perplexing questions. Aimhigh, I'll get with you later. I have some ideas about posting a survey along those lines.

That is a good old fashioned brain teaser. I agree with the earlier response that some kids don't have the strongest desire to play. Regardless of the sport, some kids sign up to help their college resume, some for something to do, some due to peer pressure, and even others who just want to be a part of something. But, I believe for most kids they sign up because they really want to play. It's pretty rare that I hear a high school kid say they hope to sit on the bench and watch.
Personally, I would want to play. I have the utmost respect for kids that are on teams that are struggling and never give up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT