ADVERTISEMENT

JV Game Days

falcettik

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 3, 2004
Question for anyone - I see JV game results posted here for games played on Wednesdays (I am not sure if that is standard or not, hence the question). I am from NOVA and although there are a handful of JV/FR games played on days other than Thursday every year, it is an aberration. I was wondering if Wednesday games are just something that is traditional in your regions, or if there is an over-riding reason? Perhaps with smaller enrollments the teams need to have some of those JV players suit up and see time on Fridays so then Thursday is a "rest" day? Or is it due to availability of officials? Or tradition?

I don't know too many specific details but here in the Shenandoah Valley, Wednesday has been the primary day for JV games for as long as I can remember. Sometimes you will see one played on a Thursday but that would be rare.

I always assumed the reason was because girls volleyball days are Tuesday and Thursday, so they play JV football on Wednesday to allow fans to attend as many events as they might like. But there could be more to it than that.

I am sure if any other folks here in the valley have any more details they will share them.

Reactions: falcettik
Question for anyone - I see JV game results posted here for games played on Wednesdays (I am not sure if that is standard or not, hence the question). I am from NOVA and although there are a handful of JV/FR games played on days other than Thursday every year, it is an aberration. I was wondering if Wednesday games are just something that is traditional in your regions, or if there is an over-riding reason? Perhaps with smaller enrollments the teams need to have some of those JV players suit up and see time on Fridays so then Thursday is a "rest" day? Or is it due to availability of officials? Or tradition?
Seminole played on Thursdays for the longest time; recently (maybe around Covid time) switched to Monday nights. I think it helps for Thursday's varsity practice to prepare for their game on Friday.

Reactions: falcettik
The biggest driver behind Wed. football games is the availability of officials. In past most football officials didn’t officiate volleyball. Now many of the officials do both. ( and like the short duration of a volleyball game ).

im a jv coach after the first 3 weeks all our games have been on monday night including tonight

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT