ADVERTISEMENT

Giles 14 Graham 13 half

singlewinger92

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 14, 2004
Graham got out to early 13 0 lead with punt return and long run. Really have not stopped Giles as of yet. Giles has stopped them self on penalties. Surprised Giles is close really. Two of best players not playing. Wing back and safety out and starting fullback/linebacker Chapman out also.

Giles held ball for all of third quarter and 5 mine in 4th. Got inside 10 and got holding penalty. Missed field goal

Graham got out to early 13 0 lead with punt return and long run. Really have not stopped Giles as of yet. Giles has stopped them self on penalties. Surprised Giles is close really. Two of best players not playing. Wing back and safety out and starting fullback/linebacker Chapman out also.

Same score 4:20 to go
Graham ball around midfield

Graham TD

Graham 21
Giles 14

Giles ball on their 32 about 1 minute to go

Giles goes down 21 to 14. I'm proud as hell of those boys tonight. Have to clean up some costly penalties and get healthy. It was a dogfight between two good teams.

Also proud of Giles defense for shutting down mouth piece Cousins like we usually do and that was without our starting linebacker and saftey.

Yea, Giles did exactly what u need to do against an explosive offense, hold the ball. Time of possession was not close. Giles held the ball for 10 or 11 straight minutes 3rd Into 4th quarter and the holding penalty was a killer inside the 10 yard line and dint finish a great drive. Graham moved the ball down the field and Giles stopped them on 4th down that would have probably sealed the game but the yellow flew for a horse collar tackle. Have to see that on film before I can comment. I have a feeling good both teams will see each other again. Was a hard nosed football game. Bad news for Giles is appears Chapman might be out for season.

Yea, Giles did exactly what u need to do against an explosive offense, hold the ball. Time of possession was not close. Giles held the ball for 10 or 11 straight minutes 3rd Into 4th quarter and the holding penalty was a killer inside the 10 yard line and dint finish a great drive. Graham moved the ball down the field and Giles stopped them on 4th down that would have probably sealed the game but the yellow flew for a horse collar tackle. Have to see that on film before I can comment. I have a feeling good both teams will see each other again. Was a hard nosed football game. Bad news for Giles is appears Chapman might be out for season.

Giles goes down 21 to 14. I'm proud as hell of those boys tonight. Have to clean up some costly penalties and get healthy. It was a dogfight between two good teams.
definitely banged up. amazing they could climb back into this game. really proud of them. they were warriors tonight. they might not be state championship caliber, but they are still a team nobody will want to draw come play-off time. hope the boys can get healthy

Just read what the graham coach posted about last night's game.....actually compared the game to remember the titans because the refs in his opinion were giving giles home cooking....first I was not there...but I listened...our announcers called the blocks in the backs before the refs threw the flag....Giles had one called back for a old 25 yards away from the play that they also watched an called...secondly the refs last night were MED refs....show class when you lose...and when you win...

Reactions: taz-dog
Just read what the graham coach posted about last night's game.....actually compared the game to remember the titans because the refs in his opinion were giving giles home cooking....first I was not there...but I listened...our announcers called the blocks in the backs before the refs threw the flag....Giles had one called back for a old 25 yards away from the play that they also watched an called...secondly the refs last night were MED refs....show class when you lose...and when you win...

Where did you read that?

Also, if you were listening to the Giles broadcasts they may have not called out all the "favorable" spots that Giles received and that Graham did not.

Where did you read that?

Also, if you were listening to the Giles broadcasts they may have not called out all the "favorable" spots that Giles received and that Graham did not.
both teams had a lot of penalties last night, costly penalties. If you see a foul, throw a flag. When both teams are getting big costly penalties, that's not home cooking

both teams had a lot of penalties last night, costly penalties. If you see a foul, throw a flag. When both teams are getting big costly penalties, that's not home cooking

Not arguing that, that's why I didn't mention penalties. Never said home cooking either, I said favorable spots. Am I wrong?

Not arguing that, that's why I didn't mention penalties. Never said home cooking either, I said favorable spots. Am I wrong?
from my view point, I cannot comment on the spots. Did not see coaches from either side complaining. But all in all. a good tough, physical ball game, both squads gave it all they had.

Trust me....he posted it....had it sent to me...if i can I'll show it.....Giles had one called back...had a hold and a pf called that killed a drive inside the ten...and horse collar that would've ended the game....and somehow his team was treated unfairly

Can't get it to move here...but this is his exact fb post
They tried to get us last night like they did Denzel in the state semi finals of the movie Remember the Titans. Haha. But our guys refused to lose and played with so much heart and pride. I am so damn proud of them right now for the fight they showed last night.#usagainsttheworld

Never doubted you. I was just wondering if it was a newspaper article, message board post, or FB post.

Would love to see all the stats from this game....if someone has them please share...just to prove how dumb of a thing to say fromo a coach....

I thought Giles played well after the loss of chapman. I think if he does not get hurt Giles maybe wins the game. As for the refs not the greatest called the game both ways they gave Giles a very bad spot on a 3 rd down. I still says Giles will be very good next year and the year after.

It was more than dumb....look at the stats of the game...it's inaccurate....classless....and not something a coach should do....some people have rose colored glasses....during football season people put on their teams glasses and see what they want to see...graham had more speed...Giles dominated the line.....two teams fought hard to win....refs made calls against both teams....in close games those calls hurt more....but somehow you see it as home cooking....MED refs....Giles had a td called back and a hold and a pf inside the 10, and a horse collar after a 4th down stop that probably would've ended the game....but graham was cheated....when refs throw flags it might just be because they were waranted....#winwithclass

Talk about classless.... Those comments were made on Facebook to his friends.... He didn't make it public. Some genius on here decided to share it. Believe me, most folks on the Graham side of the field agree 100% with his evaluation of the situation. It was horribly biased officiating. There were Giles fans on Grahams side talking about how Graham was getting robbed with the ball spots. It was ridiculous.

Were you there? Or are you basing your opinion in the stat sheet?
# lose with class.

Last edited:
Give me a break. Giles was hurt by penalties called more then Graham was. The holding call inside the 10 would have put Giles up two scores. The horse collar that would have ended the game was absolutely crap. I said I would not comment on it until I watched it. The tackle was was anything but. He pulled him down by the side of the shoulder pads, not even close. Giles had penalties that they should have been flagged on, for sure. Not sure why I have seen crying from Graham about the late hit on the QB, or I guess TB in this case lol. They were obvious. I agree with most everyone else, Giles had two of three backs out of this game and still should have won it. I'll take it.

I love how when someone says something stupid or in this case classless, that it's not their fault....it wasn't meant for everyone to see or hear.....like I said....football colored glasses....fans can say their opinions in a situation like this....but for a coach to make a comment like he did is CLASSLESS....I listened to the game and on the 2 tds the announcerst called them as the play happened....on one of them they even stated it was stupid and graham would have scored easily without the block....fact is giles played keep away with graham and dominated the line and time of possession because they knew graham's speed could bite them at any time....two teams played hard....and refs made calls that help determine the outcome....and for a coach to say the other team was helped by that officiating is WRONG....when you put words to the Internet it is public....especially on FB....and if you don't believe that then you're not very smart....and a good coach would know better

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/videos.aspx?careerid=4b25b6e0-6f24-e411-b4d2-002655e6c45a

Video doesn't lie. Check out around the 3:10 mark. Not one, but two touchdowns called back on phantom calls. I've watched the game video twice. There were 3 generous spots given to Giles which resulted in a first down, when they failed to make it on 4th down. There was one 4th down that Graham converted by more than a yard and were spotted back so they didn't make it. A rouging the passer call made when the defender hit the qb as he was throwing the ball. A personal foul called on Graham, when the Giles player was holding the Graham player on the ground. I could go on....

Game is over, if these two match up again in the playoffs, I sure hope it's not with these refs. Both teams deserve a fair shake.

Giles has a great team, not taking nothing away from them. They came to play and the coach had the right strategy to beat Graham. Keep the ball away from Graham's offense and they did a great job of controlling the clock.

There were injuries to Giles that may have affected the outcome. Graham had a key interior lineman out that surely could've helped against Gile's rushing attack. Injuries happen and are unfortunately part of the game. Hopefully these two will meet again at full strength and without a bunch of bush league refs. Referees should not have so much influence over the outcome of a game. I'll just leave it at that. I'm not trying to argue with you guys. I'm sure if you all were Graham fans, you would feel the same way. If I were a Giles fan, I would feel the same way as you all. These refs were a joke. About the worst I've seen in 40 years. People get upset and heated when they feel that their team wasn't treated fairly. I'm sure that's how Coach P. felt, so I don't fault him for what he said on facebook. Just as I don't blame you Giles fans for being upset. I'm sure you all saw some things in that game that went against your team that shouldn't have.

Let's all hope for an injury free remainer of the season and I'm sure both teams will make it far..... and hopefully we won't have to see that officiating crew again.

I am always a fan of a good team. Giles has a very good team and are extremely well coached. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go very deep in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Funny how you didn't see them but the radio announcers did before the play was over...before it was called on the field....but as fans we see what we want to see sometimes....but a coach should know better than to say what he said.....he could've said he was proud of his way without degrading the effort of the other team by insinuating they were receiving help from the refs.....like I said a hold and a pf inside of the 10 and a horse collar were called on Giles at critical times....and without that horse collar graham loses....so for him to say it on social media is wrong....and he should really think about things before his finger hits the post button

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/videos.aspx?careerid=4b25b6e0-6f24-e411-b4d2-002655e6c45a

Video doesn't lie. Check out around the 3:10 mark. Not one, but two touchdowns called back on phantom calls. I've watched the game video twice. There were 3 generous spots given to Giles which resulted in a first down, when they failed to make it on 4th down. There was one 4th down that Graham converted by more than a yard and were spotted back so they didn't make it. A rouging the passer call made when the defender hit the qb as he was throwing the ball. A personal foul called on Graham, when the Giles player was holding the Graham player on the ground. I could go on....

Game is over, if these two match up again in the playoffs, I sure hope it's not with these refs. Both teams deserve a fair shake.

Giles has a great team, not taking nothing away from them. They came to play and the coach had the right strategy to beat Graham. Keep the ball away from Graham's offense and they did a great job of controlling the clock.

There were injuries to Giles that may have affected the outcome. Graham had a key interior lineman out that surely could've helped against Gile's rushing attack. Injuries happen and are unfortunately part of the game. Hopefully these two will meet again at full strength and without a bunch of bush league refs. Referees should not have so much influence over the outcome of a game. I'll just leave it at that. I'm not trying to argue with you guys. I'm sure if you all were Graham fans, you would feel the same way. If I were a Giles fan, I would feel the same way as you all. These refs were a joke. About the worst I've seen in 40 years. People get upset and heated when they feel that their team wasn't treated fairly. I'm sure that's how Coach P. felt, so I don't fault him for what he said on facebook. Just as I don't blame you Giles fans for being upset. I'm sure you all saw some things in that game that went against your team that shouldn't have.

Let's all hope for an injury free remainer of the season and I'm sure both teams will make it far..... and hopefully we won't have to see that officiating crew again.

I am always a fan of a good team. Giles has a very good team and are extremely well coached. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go very deep in the playoffs.
Definitely see the block in the back on the first one...no question about it

The call at 3:10 is obviously a bad one. The Giles player dives to the ground causing his back to be exposed at the moment before impact.

Reactions: eh31
At the 310 mark play in see 2 blocks in the back on that td....the next one is too far for me to see...at 310 play there's one at the start with no flag and then one that wasn't necessary but definitely gonna be called in high school.....

Like you, I have seen a really high number of HS games. Overall, the officials have gotten worse. At Christiansburg, years ago Giles scored a TD and made the PAT. IIRC, the teams were lining up for the kickoff when the refs stopped the game to go back and have Giles redo the PAT. The one and only time I've seen that.

I also saw a miserably called game in WV long ago. Not only were the refs bad, they actually stood outside the huddle while the WV team called its plays. With seconds left in the game, a Giles ball carrier intentionally went out of bounds to save clock time for one last play only to have the refs say he was in bounds and let the clock ran out.

I am critical of refs most games and sometimes doubt their integrity.

Your guys won and regardless of that fact it was a game I hated to see either team walk off the field with a loss.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT