ADVERTISEMENT

GIRLS FINAL: Monacan (60) King's Fork (59) - FINAL

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
Girls 4A Hoops State Championship at the Half - Monacan 29, King's Fork 25

For Monacan Girls at the break - Megan Walker 14Pts. 8-14FG, 4Blk. 3Stl. Alex Parson 8Pts. Chiefs 7-21FG, 2-7 3's, 13-20FT, 10TO's

For King's Fork Girls at the break - Cydney Nichols 11Pts. 3-4 3's, 5Reb. Camary Harris 5Pts. 2-5FG. KF 9-32FG, 3-10 3's, 4-7FT, 7TO's.

Megan Walker scores for Monacan but Kings Fork answers as Cydney Nichols hits a pair of ft's. 1:56 left 3Q: Kings Fork 37, Monacan 32

4A State Finals, End 3rd: King's Fork 43, Monacan 32.

King's Fork crushed Monacan 18-3 in the third quarter, and they lead 43-32 entering the fourth. Absolutely brutal.

Chiefs need a comeback to three peat.

Morris and Parson are back on the court to start the fourth, both deep in foul trouble.

Girls 4A championship: King's Fork 50. Monacan 44. 4, 3:27

C6mSf6uWsAABIE9.jpg

it's back to one, 52-51, 2:16 left. Foul, KF to the line.

Walker on a personal 7-0 run - 26 points total

King's Fork (Nichols) makes 2 more free throws, and Monacan controls the ball down 54-51 with 2:06 remaining in the game

Feels like a home court crowd for Monacan

Megan Walker with the basket and the foul! She has 28 points and goes to the line for a three point play and a chance to tie

Walker's free throw is no good but Monacan retains possession and Megan Walker is fouled. She hits both free throws. Monacan leads 55-54

Harris inside for two, 56-55 King's Fork, 1:35 left, Walker drives, draws the foul, back to the line

Amesha Miller fouls out with 6 points, could be huge defensive loss inside for King's Fork in final 84 seconds. Walker makes 2 FT, 57-56.

King's Fork 58, Monacan 57. 1:12 left.

Cydney Nichols drive and layin - she has 28 points.

Walker with 32 points, 15 in 4th quarter, and Monacan's last 13 points - Cydney Harris leads King's Fork with 28 points

Make it 14 as she hits the second free throw.

Now 1:00 left and we're tied 58-58. Kings Fork possession

KF running clock - time out 34 seconds left

Camary Harris is fouled and hits 1 of 2 at the line. 33.9 left and Kings Fork leads 59-58

Monancan calls last time out with 26 seconds left - both teams out of time outs

C6mWBtNXUAEZzMq.jpg

Walker scores, horn sounds, but there's time on the clock says referee. 0.3 left for King's Fork miracle down 60-59

Kings Fork will inbounds under their own basket with .03 left trailing Monacan 60-59. Megan Walker has 35 points!

King's Fork hit the buzzer beater, but 0.3 was left - therefore shot waved off by the refs - can't catch and shoot with that little time left.

Kings Fork executed perfectly and got the shot off but apparently just after the horn. It was bang bang but they waved it off.

King's Fork's Camary Harris made a shot under the basket, but referees wave it off. NO GOOD. and Monacan wins Group 4A state title 60-59.

Walker with 35 points for Monacan - which had 32 points after 3 quarter as a team - scored 28 in the 4th.

C6mXPAfWgAAKCr-.jpg

Final: Monacan 60, Kings Fork 59. Megan Walker with a game high 35 outduals Cydney Nichols of Kings Fork who finished with 28.

One of the best high school games I've seen. Boys or girls. #21 for kings fork played a ridiculously great game. Where is she going??

Reactions: AntGZee
Cyndey Harris for King's Fork was amazing tonite. Meagan Walker showed why she is the best though. One of the best games that I've seen ever.

Last edited:
Monacan got in trouble with Jaiden Morris being out all game with foul trouble. KF played out of their minds. They made unbelievable shots and all of them were cash from the free throw line. I do think for both teams the referees should have let them play more. Too many fouls being called for a state championship game for my taste. I knew Monacan was going to come back and win bc MW can score almost whenever she wants if she has too.

I have been saying how impressed I was with Kings Fork the last few weeks. WOW what a team they had. Feel bad for KF bc they played incredible. To play that well and fall short is crushing.

I think when it is all said and done the best team won. But they were sloppy. How do you let that girl catch the ball directly under the basket with .3 sec left and get a shot off? Very fortunate to win that one.

Great comeback regardless, sometimes you fumble but you gotta fight through it and they did.

The end of an era that may never be duplicated again. Just a few neighborhood girls. No transfers, at a public high school. 3 straight state titles / 30-0 / #2 ranking nationally and more importantly just a great group of young ladies.

Good luck to Bird and HSHS today. Lets bring home some more hardware to the 804 today!

Great post Mbonape1!!!! I also believe the refs took away from the game with all the foul calls. J Morris is a beast in her own rite but she wasn't allowed to play on tic-tac foul calls. Megan Walker is the real deal in case someone has been under a rock. In my opinion, King's Fork would give trouble to high classification teams. What a round robin it would be to have Monacan, Princess Anne, King's Fork and Highland Springs play one another.

Tell me a state that has better girls basketball at the public high school level than VA. Talent for Talent the girls basketball scene in va is better than the boys. It has never been this good before and it has been this way for a few years at that. Would love to see that round robin you mentioned.

The talent on the girls side has been incredible. I think Godiva Hubbard should have been a McDonald's All American last year from Princess Anne.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbonape1
As fans we need to just sit back and enjoy what womens basketball has become. Not too long ago when I was playing high school Bball for Monacan if you could make a layup you were essentially on the girls team. Not any more. You gotta be able to ball for real.

For example...Last night KF's Cyndey Harris was making incredible plays. I mean plays that are impressive Mens / Womens regardless of the level. So many girls in va bball scene doing this on the regular now. The girls aren't so quick to abandon public high school ball like the boys are. This helps alot bc nobody cares if Oak Hill has a great mens team. Means a lot more when it is a "Petersburg" or a Norcom. The boys side is more watered down than the girls side. I hope VA GBB talent stays localized at the high school level.

The end of an era that may never be duplicated again. Just a few neighborhood girls. No transfers, at a public high school

You are so right - you never see this anymore!

Once a player gets really really good, he almost always transfers to a private school - I really hate that, but also understand each person has their reasons for doing so.

I would pay that $10 to see Princess Anne vs Monacan!!!! Those are the two best girl teams in the state, hands down.

Tell me a state that has better girls basketball at the public high school level than VA. Talent for Talent the girls basketball scene in va is better than the boys. It has never been this good before and it has been this way for a few years at that. Would love to see that round robin you mentioned.
And keep in mind that one of the top sophomores, if not the #1 player in the class of 2019, is playing for William Monroe. Girls hoops in VA is exceptional right now.

Last edited:
Where is Wm Monroe located? I've heard of the school but not sure of the location. Is it near Frederickburg?

Where is Wm Monroe located? I've heard of the school but not sure of the location. Is it near Frederickburg?

Nah, James Monroe is in Fredericksburg.

William Monroe is in Standardsville, which is in Greene County. I would say about 20 or so miles due north of Charlottesville. It's just off of Rt. 33.

I'm surprised there's no more talk about the end of that game. I don't have a dog in the fight...but I'm saying that girl got the shot off and it should've counted. .3 is enough time to catch and shoot.

I think it is generally accepted that .3 or less, and it's physically impossible to "catch and score". And .3 is the bare minimum for a "tip of the inbounds pass and bucket". .7 sec. is the minimum needed for "a catch and get a shot off".

I don't know that these are any kind of official rules, in fact I'm sure they are not. But, as an accepted guideline, I think many Officials Associations agree that these are helpful.

Culp, if you have the clip of the end of that game, could you post it here, please?

I think Coach Star knew that rule as well. I think that's why she was even allowed to get a shot off. I think that's a general rule in the NBA too.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I think it is generally accepted that .3 or less, and it's physically impossible to "catch and score". And .3 is the bare minimum for a "tip of the inbounds pass and bucket". .7 sec. is the minimum needed for "a catch and get a shot off".

I don't know that these are any kind of official rules, in fact I'm sure they are not. But, as an accepted guideline, I think many Officials Associations agree that these are helpful.

Culp, if you have the clip of the end of that game, could you post it here, please?
Here's a link to the article that had the video. I saw it last night at home but I can't open the video link this morning on my work-computer....probably a filter block or something. Hopefully you can open it. To me it looked like as soon as the girl caught/touched the ball she immediately pushed/shot it to the hoop.
http://pilotonline.com/sports/high-...cle_63dc4813-bd12-5d2a-a9e1-a66108863591.html

Technically you cannot get off that sort of shot with only .3 seconds. It has to be a tip only. The clock operator started it late which is what always happens. The real controversy is whether or not more time should have been put on the clock and whether or not a foul should have been called.

You know the ref doesn't want to make that call. If it would have been more time on the clock Monacan would have played a different defense so who knows.

KF could have won that game. They were peaking at the right time and they were on fire. Monacan peeked earlier in the season over the x-mas break. We were almost crying for a loss. It would have been good for us to lose one game somewhere this season. We were 59-1 in the last 2 years. It had been probably 6 weeks since I saw them play really good ball like they are capable of playing. The pressure was mounting. We stopped hitting from the outside with proficiency. I hope that this game doesn't hurt our legacy bc of how close it was. Overall I think the best team won the game. We beat them 3x the last 2 years.

Also, a lot of attention was made about the amount of free throws Megan Walker had. She missed 9 or 10 free throws so it actually may have been an advantage for KF. The ticky tack foul calls hurt Monacan more than it helped them. Any "press team" is hurt by that. If they would have not been calling ticky tack Meg might have scored even more. Did Mon get the benefit of the doubt on some calls? Yes they did. But it is not a conspiracy, it is earned based off the past 4 years of superlative basketball.

KF has several elite ball players in their own right. They played incredible. Made every free throw. Had to at least shoot 50% from 3 etc. They had the game in hand. You can say what you want but they did squander an 11-12 point lead in the forth quarter. They had it. It just wasn't meant to be. I saw the presser after the game and KF and their coaches were all class after a super close debatable ending. What an amazing group of ladies and their coach. They pointed out some things they thought hurt them and didn't bounce their way but were still all class. For them to have that sort of restraint after such heartbreak is amazing. KF as an athletic program and community has won me over and I will pull for them when I can moving forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT