ADVERTISEMENT

Give me the Widdie Boyz

Varina beat King’s Fork in basketball. Whipped them with George Beale and this past year. KF’s was hands down the best 75 team and probably team in the state (not named John Marshall) the past two years.
Oh you mean basketball lol i thought you meant Kings Fork football lol

Question for the Maury faithful - Maury has fielded several state contender quality teams, I get the sense that you believe this is the best Maury team thus far. Fact or fiction?
Im far from Maury faithful but I can tell you for sure this is the best team Maury has had that I’ve ever seen and it’s not close. They added so many D1 pieces it’s ridiculous

Reactions: mbonape1
What’s the explanation? I’m curious.

There isn't one. It's just a statistical model. Been around for awhile.

I don't know enough about either team to make much of a projection. I know Maury played New Bern pretty close the last couple years when they had a strong ground game. They didn't shut them down, but they held them in check enough to keep it close.

Maury is the better team and if they get a running clock so be it. I can't remember the last time it happened, but I guess it could. Mad respect for Maury they stayed focused and beat the self proclaimed best team in the state. @HooSprings, what did I tell you about that leaky run defense.

Meadowbrook 2011 (41-6 so unless they scored on the very last play of the game it should have happened) and then 2009 Meadowbrook and Thomas Dale did it in back-to-back weeks. Looking a bit further back Meadowbrook also did it in 2005 and 2007, they seemed to have Dinwiddie's number for quite awhile and in punishing fashion.

Oh and just for fun...

CalPreps:

Miramar #76 in Florida (#786 nationally)

Glenville #6 in Ohio (#119 nationally)

Freedom #1 in Virginia (#82 nationally)

Maury #2 in Virginia (#201 nationally)

Phoebus #3 in Virginia(#213 nationally)

HSHS #5 in Virginia(#387 nationally)

Dinwiddie #7 in Virginia(#426 nationally)

Varina #13 in Virginia(#940 nationally)

Meadowbrook 2011 (41-6 so unless they scored on the very last play of the game it should have happened) and then 2009 Meadowbrook and Thomas Dale did it in back-to-back weeks. Looking a bit further back Meadowbrook also did it in 2005 and 2007, they seemed to have Dinwiddie's number for quite awhile and in punishing fashion.
Good stuff @1MoreHokie. I like when you bring stuff like this to the table. Facts! 2005 and 2007 were lean years for us. Coach Mills was just getting started and Meadowbrook pounded on us. I remember 2009 very well. In 2008, we beat them 49-48 in overtime at home knocking them out of the chance for the playoffs. We went to the state finals. We didn't have a running clock then, but in 2009, Meadowbrook kept scoring and even did an onside kick when they were up 49-17. Mills has never forgotten that. I had to look back at the box scores from the PI on the Dale game. They scored late to make it 35-0. In fact they scored 21 points in the fourth quarter. Both games were away. Thanks for the bad memories. 😂. Hopefully, we will not allow it to happen at home and just maybe we can pull a huge upset. The computer says it could happen. 😆

Last edited:
Massey has Maury favored 35-21, not Dinwiddie.
Calpreps has Maury favored 38-21.
Hopefully, they're both wrong!

The link I posted takes you to Dinwiddie's page..PF 35, PA 21. I had to look at it twice too because I felt like Maury would be the favorite. And it's the same if you look under games. Here's the link:

Games

Last edited:
^Click on the 72% @mike salem. Maybe that's easier.

Maury

Norfolk, VA, USA
Dinwiddie
Dinwiddie, VA, USA
00Actual Score
2635Most Likely
2234Median
25.4034.00Mean
35%65%Win Probability

Maybe he has it backwards. I don't know. You're right, Calpreps does favor Maury. Similar type score.

Win at the LOS and your offense will cook. New Bern ran all over them last year, but it sounds like their defense is better this year. Does Dinwiddie have a passing game? I feel like this one will be won or lost up front. Which is usually the case in HS ball.

Win at the LOS and your offense will cook. New Bern ran all over them last year, but it sounds like their defense is better this year. Does Dinwiddie have a passing game? I feel like this one will be won or lost up front. Which is usually the case in HS ball.
Problem with trying to compare with new bern is one NB had a line that was probably bigger than any team in Virginia last year. Two this maury defense on the line is bigger and faster than last year's line. So running straight up aint happening they can probably find something trying to run to the outside but ill say Dinwiddie gets nothing through the air so have fun.

Yes, @CountryClubJoesSecretAlias, aside from not being able to stop the Glenville running back our very young/green receivers struggled to get separation and Dalton did not have a lot of time to throw which resulted in no passing game. Since several adjustments have been made, the receiving corps has got better each game and yes the passing game is back. The Generals run a very precise RPO offense. Dalton has run the offense since he was 7 so he knows it like the back of his hand. He is also a tireless worker and student of the game, so he ain't going to panic.

I know this will sound crazy, Coach Mills uses a lot of screens, short passes, and jet sweeps to set up our ground game. If Dalton reads press coverage and thinks he can get the time he will launch it. This was the key last year in the state final. Before anyone says it I know Kettle Run is not Maury, but the philosophy is the same. Our goal is to make you put guys in the box to stop our run game. Dalton and Rafael Tucker are very physical. Once Mills gets press coverage he will send 2-3 guys deep. Maury defense is nasty with a ton of talent, so this will not be an easy task. We will take what you give us. Example: 286 rushing Glenville, 200 passing GW Danville, 300+ rushing North Stafford.

Our coaches have been game planning for two weeks and Maury is coming off one of their biggest and emotional wins in years. Let's hope we catch the Commodores with a hangover and still celebrating.

Last edited:
You’re too emotional lol. It has nothing to do with Maury’s play against Phoebus or HSHS. I’m talking the matchup between Maury and Dinwiddie only…Maury just has way more talent in my opinion. Dalton is a beast but Maury will have the best players on the field with Ari Watford and Fred Johnson. Unbiased opinion I have no dog in the fight. Good luck to both teams.
Maury has too many athletes on offense and defense. I give Dinwiddie maybe 14 points. Maury Scores over 40 points. Maury 42 - Dinwiddie 14. Close in the 1sr qtr then Maury pulls away.

Yes, @CountryClubJoesSecretAlias, aside from not being able to stop the Glenville running back our very young/green receivers struggled to get separation and Dalton did not have a lot of time to throw which resulted in no passing game. Since several adjustments have been made, the receiving corps has got better each game and yes the passing game is back. The Generals run a very precise RPO offense. Dalton has run the offense since he was 7 so he knows it like the back of his hand. He is also a tireless worker and student of the game, so he ain't going to panic.

I know this will sound crazy, Coach Mills uses a lot of screens, short passes, and jet sweeps to set up our ground game. If Dalton reads press coverage and thinks he can get the time he will launch it. This was the key last year in the state final. Before anyone says it I know Kettle Run is not Maury, but the philosophy is the same. Our goal is to make you put guys in the box to stop our run game. Dalton and Rafael Tucker are very physical. Once Mills gets press coverage he will send 2-3 guys deep. Maury defense is nasty with a ton of talent, so this will not be an easy task. We will take what you give us. Example: 286 rushing Glenville, 200 passing GW Danville, 300+ rushing North Stafford.

Our coaches have been game planning for two weeks and Maury is coming off one of their biggest and emotional wins in years. Let's hope we catch the Commodores with a hangover and still celebrating.
Maury 42 - Dinwiddie 14. Its closer if Maury has a letdown.

Good stuff @1MoreHokie. I like when you bring stuff like this to the table. Facts! 2005 and 2007 were lean years for us. Coach Mills was just getting started and Meadowbrook pounded on us. I remember 2009 very well. In 2008, we beat them 49-48 in overtime at home knocking them out of the chance for the playoffs. We went to the state finals. We didn't have a running clock then, but in 2009, Meadowbrook kept scoring and even did an onside kick when they were up 49-17. Mills has never forgotten that. I had to look back at the box scores from the PI on the Dale game. They scored late to make it 35-0. In fact they scored 21 points in the fourth quarter. Both games were away. Thanks for the bad memories. 😂. Hopefully, we will not allow it to happen at home and just maybe we can pull a huge upset. The computer says it could happen. 😆
That Dale game was in 40 degree rain no excuses but the elements played into Dales favor

Trying to compare last year Maury to this year Maury is like night and day. They got more than 15 transfers!! As I said before, I have never seen a team have more athletes on the field than Highland Springs but they do. I’m not sure how many defensive tackles can chase down a running back from 50 yards away and almost tackle him before he gets into the End zone. THis team has transfers all over the place, and they are not little Johnny transfers. Their quarterback play is far superior than what I saw in the state finals. In my opinion, he outplayed Martin Friday night. i’m telling you right now, this team is different and I will go as far as saying this is the best Maury team I’ve ever seen. They are gigantic on both sides of the line, they have five tall, athletic defensive backs/wide receivers, and two running backs that will continue to hit you right in the face. The TE at 6’7 reminds me of Kellen Winslow. He bats down a lot of passes at the defensive end spot too

Dinwiddie has a great athlete at quarterback and if they take advantage of the Maury undisciplined penalties, then they can keep this game close mid first half but in my opinion, there are just too many athletes on the field for Maury.

I would have loved to have seen this Maury team play that Glenville team that Dinwiddie played

Trying to compare last year Maury to this year Maury is like night and day. They got more than 15 transfers!! As I said before, I have never seen a team have more athletes on the field than Highland Springs but they do. I’m not sure how many defensive tackles can chase down a running back from 50 yards away and almost tackle him before he gets into the End zone. THis team has transfers all over the place, and they are not little Johnny transfers. Their quarterback play is far superior than what I saw in the state finals. In my opinion, he outplayed Martin Friday night. i’m telling you right now, this team is different and I will go as far as saying this is the best Maury team I’ve ever seen. They are gigantic on both sides of the line, they have five tall, athletic defensive backs/wide receivers, and two running backs that will continue to hit you right in the face. The TE at 6’7 reminds me of Kellen Winslow. He bats down a lot of passes at the defensive end spot too

Dinwiddie has a great athlete at quarterback and if they take advantage of the Maury undisciplined penalties, then they can keep this game close mid first half but in my opinion, there are just too many athletes on the field for Maury.

I would have loved to have seen this Maury team play that Glenville team that Dinwiddie played

That's what I heard. They obviously pretty good if they beat you guys.

I saw where they were giving up some points.
Guys I know there has been a lot of back and forth, but I have to hit pause on this one. The Springers have played three good teams and all three games were close and hard fought contest. Yes, they have given up 72 points and that is surely surprising. Maury proved their metal, but that doesn't lesson the talent off Route 156. Most of if not not all of the teams in Virginia would be happy being 2-1 with HSHS schedule. Johnson will fix the problem areas and the Springers will finish 9-1. I still expect a deep playoff run.

Guys I know there has been a lot of back and forth, but I have to hit pause on this one. The Springers have played three good teams and all three games were close and hard fought contest. Yes, they have given up 72 points and that is surely surprising. Maury proved their metal, but that doesn't lesson the talent off Route 156. Most of if not not all of the teams in Virginia would be happy being 2-1 with HSHS schedule. Johnson will fix the problem areas and the Springers will finish 9-1. I still expect a deep playoff run.

Wasn't meant as a jab bro! 😂

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I know and if it was who am I to judge. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew I still believed in the Springers. I root for and try to support all the RVA metro teams. @BoKnowsSports, I'll take the Springers for a milk shake. It took a special team to beat HSHS.
Got word that Varina will play Herm the same week they play HS from one of the Herm coaches. They’ll play Atlee on Friday, Herm on Tuesday and then HS on Saturday. May be asking you what flavor and size but I like Varina’s defense over HS’s offense. I think it’ll be low scoring and Varina will have just enough offense to score on HS’s okay defense.

That's what I heard. They obviously pretty good if they beat you guys.
Highland Springs is good, but I think they’re having the same issues They had two years ago when Martin was a Sophomore quarterback. Execution is horrible and quite honestly we won’t know if it is fixed until the playoffs. This team has given up a boatload of points in the first three games in the punting game. In all three of the games, we gave up a touchdown or a deciding field goal in the punt or punt return game. Unexplainable dropped passes and confusion in the secondary have been eye-popping. There is no question. They are battle tested, but if they play like they have played the first three games ,in the playoffs, they will not make it out of the region.

Got word that Varina will play Herm the same week they play HS from one of the Herm coaches. They’ll play Atlee on Friday, Herm on Tuesday and then HS on Saturday. May be asking you what flavor and size but I like Varina’s defense over HS’s offense. I think it’ll be low scoring and Varina will have just enough offense to score on HS’s okay defense.
At the moment I'll go Springers by a TD. Think Varina's D will keep them in check. But HSHS is probably less likely to make the "big" mistake like a pick 6 or something.

At the moment I'll go Springers by a TD. Think Varina's D will keep them in check. But HSHS is probably less likely to make the "big" mistake like a pick 6 or something.
Gimme the Messer Road Boyz bro. I’m riding with them all the way to Williams Stadium.

• Haha
Reactions: HooSprings
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT