ADVERTISEMENT

Glass at Salem

No but they will be in the game early before the top end of salems talent settles in and they get rolling. 35 - 14 Salem

Reactions: RKE Fan
It depends on which version of Glass shows up. They looked like a completely different team vs JF the other night compared to when they played them 5 weeks ago. They threw the ball very well this time around and had success running the ball too. They had a very balanced offensive game plan. Defensively they looked good against the run, which was an area they had struggled in the first time they played JF. I think in order for Glass to have a shot they have to get the ball out in space and make Salem tackle one on one in the open field. The team that tackles the best in the open field and limits the big plays will win the game.

Last edited:
It depends on which version of Glass shows up. They looked like a completely different team vs JF the other night compared to when they played them 5 weeks ago. They threw the ball very well this time around and had success running the ball too. They had a very balanced offensive game plan. Defensively they looked good against the run, which was an area they had struggled in the first time they played JF. I think in order for Glass to have a shot they have to get the ball out in space and make Salem tackle one on one in the open field. The team that limits the big plays and tackles the best in the open field will win the game.

This is arguably the best open field tackling team Salem has ever had, just FWIW.

This is arguably the best open field tackling team Salem has ever had, just FWIW.
It should be a good game then! Glass' strength is their ability to make plays in open field, Salem's strength is their ability to tackle in open field! Strength vs strength!

Reactions: RKE Fan
No but they will be in the game early before the top end of salems talent settles in and they get rolling. 35 - 14 Salem
With the players Salem has, the expectation is that it's going to be a track meet from the start. However, Salem is still great at smashmouth football. For all the talk about Lewis's speed, he's bulked up and runs with A LOT more power than he did last year. It was like Handley was celebrating every time he touched it and didn't score, not realizing that he was still churning out 6 or 8 yards after four of their guys couldn't bring him down. It wears on guys and can be demoralizing. Then there is a missed tackle and a trail of smoke to the end zone.

Reactions: cutnjump
I think it hinges on penalties and turnovers. Both teams play to their capability and limit turnovers and penalties, Salem wins by about 3 TDS. Salem puts the ball on the rug or yields picks through the air, it could get tight. I will be surprised if it is close.

I think it hinges on penalties and turnovers. Both teams play to their capability and limit turnovers and penalties, Salem wins by about 3 TDS. Salem puts the ball on the rug or yields picks through the air, it could get tight. I will be surprised if it is close.
I tend to lean this way. Special teams and penalties have been a huge problem for Glass in that they have given up a few kickoff return touchdowns, or long returns, they do that on Friday along with having too many penalties, and they will get beat pretty badly. They have to play the best game they’ve played the whole season.

Reactions: cutnjump
I tend to lean this way. Special teams and penalties have been a huge problem for Glass in that they have given up a few kickoff return touchdowns, or long returns, they do that on Friday along with having too many penalties, and they will get beat pretty badly. They have to play the best game they’ve played the whole season.
Speaking of, how you all noticed an epidemic of poor kickoff coverage this year? Rarely do I see a game without at least 1 kickoff returned for a touchdown or just squib kicks to give the other team the ball around the 35-40 because they're afraid they'll give up a touchdown. Can't count how many KOR TD's I've seen this year.

Honestly, how in the world if history is any indicator whatsoever, can you pick against Salem? When Willis White stepped aside (even I in Southside Virginia, was a Willis White fan and also Joel Hicks from Pulaski Co) but I thought, there goes those Spartans in Salem! It was a few "lean" years but here came Magenbauer and BAM Salem is dogs again! You know I've watched some programs like Hampton when they were dominate, Phoebus when they were just finding their way to winning and into their state title runs in D5, but I have to admit that I've never seen an animal like Salem football! Mags steps aside and here comes another coach from the Salem carousel lineage and when you think you're gonna be able to get a leg up, man Salem flexes it's muscle and makes adjustments in its schemes and play and you're like what the heck just happened! How in the world can a team just keep putting pieces together and winning year in and year out but I guess the answer is "it's just how Salem does football!" The heritage there is second to none and the community buy in is unparalleled from anything I've ever seen! Unreal man but it's awesome and an awe-inspiring thing to watch! I will admit that I thought I hated Salem but I came to realize I just didn't understand Salem! To not know Salem is to hate Salem, to understand Salem is to respect Salem! My eyes got opened when I watched probably one of the most inspiring high school football games in 2015 at Liberty University when Lake Taylor Titans came in flaunting and flexing (keep in mind that I watched Salem get flat destroyed by the same team in 2014 and I expected pretty much the same thing in 2015). But after watching a few series of downs by each team, I realized that the coaching of Salem is second to none in Virginia in making adjustments and putting the kids in the right positions to be successful down after down! And that's no exception with the current coach as well! But it does help to have talented players to coach as well! The best VHSL football player I had ever seen was the kid from Salem a few years ago #9 DeAngelo Ramsey who I just knew was going to be playing on Sundays one day! I know I've gotten off track here on this post so, I would say Salem 42-14 over Glass and kind of like I started on my rant...how can you pick against Salem?

Last edited:
Honestly, how in the world if history is any indicator whatsoever, can you pick against Salem? When Willis White stepped aside (even I in Southside Virginia, was a Willis White fan and also Joel Hicks from Pulaski Co) but I thought, there goes those Spartans in Salem! It was a few "lean" years but here came Magenbauer and BAM Salem is dogs again! You know I've watched some programs like Hampton when they were dominate, Phoebus when they were just finding their way to winning and into their state title runs in D5, but I have to admit that I've never seen an animal like Salem football! Mags steps aside and here comes another coach from the Salem carousel lineage and when you think you're gonna be able to get a leg up, man Salem flexes it's muscle and makes adjustments in its schemes and play and you're like what the heck just happened! How in the world can a team just keep putting pieces together and winning year in and year out but I guess the answer is "it's just how Salem does football!" The heritage there is second to none and the community buy in is unparalleled from anything I've ever seen! Unreal man but it's awesome and an awe-inspiring thing to watch! I will admit that I thought I hated Salem but I came to realize I just didn't understand Salem! To not know Salem is to hate Salem, to understand Salem is to respect Salem! My eyes got opened when I watched probably one of the most inspiring high school football games in 2015 at Liberty University when Lake Taylor Titans came in flaunting and flexing (keep in mind that I watched Salem get flat destroyed by the same team in 2014 and I expected pretty much the same thing in 2015). But after watching a few series of downs by each team, I realized that the coaching of Salem is second to none in Virginia in making adjustments and putting the kids in the right positions to be successful down after down! And that's no exception with the current coach as well! But it does help to have talented players to coach as well! The best VHSL football player I had ever seen was the kid from Salem a few years ago #9 DeAngelo Ramsey who I just knew was going to be playing on Sundays one day! I know I've gotten off track here on this post so, I would say Salem 42-14 over Glass and kind of like I started on my rant...how can you pick against Salem?

I think u hit the nail on the head, but remember the FEEDER PROGRAMS..... starts in sandlot. Andrew lewis Jr high gets them ready for Salem. When they start 2 a days in Aug. By day 3 they r in mid season form. Most other schools are still teaching players how to block and tackle. They are a machine no doubt about it

It is a very good thing the 2022 Hilltoppers didn't read this post before the game last year.

Speaking of, how you all noticed an epidemic of poor kickoff coverage this year? Rarely do I see a game without at least 1 kickoff returned for a touchdown or just squib kicks to give the other team the ball around the 35-40 because they're afraid they'll give up a touchdown. Can't count how many KOR TD's I've seen this year.
A number of different things contribute to this. Most HS kickers can't put the ball in the endzone consistently which means it's more than like that the other team will have an opportunity for a big return if its kicked deep but not into the endzone. The return team is more likely to have a big return because it is very difficult to tackle in the open field because it is very difficult to simulate an in game kickoff situation effectively in practice without risking injuries. Thus, most teams don't practice in game KO/KOR situations enough or at all. Which leads to the alternative of squibbing the ball so the other team can't get a good return since the kicker can't kick touchbacks and since they don't practice tackling to the ground on KO.

Reactions: Amgis
It is a very good thing the 2022 Hilltoppers didn't read this post before the game I remember the late 80's early 90's Hilltopper teams as well! My post wasn't meant as a slight but I guess after reading it, it can be misconstrued as such! I guess that's why it's been 8 years since I've been on this board but regardless, I wish your Hilltoppers well as I always wish all teams to be healthy and may the best teams win each game! Good luck to all! I guess the slight is my score prediction of the game but wasn't meant that way as I'm looking at the body of work for each teams season and made a best guess from an outsider that hasn't watched either team!

Reactions: Hilltopper1991
A number of different things contribute to this. Most HS kickers can't put the ball in the endzone consistently which means it's more than like that the other team will have an opportunity for a big return if its kicked deep but not into the endzone. The return team is more likely to have a big return because it is very difficult to tackle in the open field because it is very difficult to simulate an in game kickoff situation effectively in practice without risking injuries. Thus, most teams don't practice in game KO/KOR situations enough or at all. Which leads to the alternative of squibbing the ball so the other team can't get a good return since the kicker can't kick touchbacks and since they don't practice tackling to the ground on KO.
I get all that, but when did that change? I've been going to games for as long as I can remember and don't recall it being anywhere near this bad.

Reactions: VolNation85
I get all that, but when did that change? I've been going to games for as long as I can remember and don't recall it being anywhere near this bad.
I think it started getting like that after the spring Covid season.

At the half @VHSL regional semis
@footballsalem 20
@ECGlassFB 7
#Glass scores then then $Salem comes back with 20 straight.
@hatfieldsports
@TheRVASportsNet

@804Varsity
F_vgRB-XcAA39NO

Reactions: SFUWO
Both teams were very sloppy with penalties tonight. Both teams had several personal fouls, offsides, and false starts. I don’t what the exact count is but I thought the refs called a pretty even game. Salem might have even had more penalties in the first half.

Salem will need to clean up the penalties if they want to win next week or after.

Both teams were very sloppy with penalties tonight. Both teams had several personal fouls, offsides, and false starts. I don’t what the exact count is but I thought the refs called a pretty even game. Salem might have even had more penalties in the first half.

Salem will need to clean up the penalties if they want to win next week or after.
Looked like early season mistakes. I want to chalk it up to eating a second plate yesterday 😁

I ain’t going to say I told y’all so but damn … somebody had a damn good read on what this game was going to be

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT