ADVERTISEMENT

Glass Vs. Life Christian Benefit Game

VolNation85

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 29, 2013
Interesting match up for tonight....What's the general consensus about these two teams?

Depends on who you ask especially regarding Life Christian in Chester, VA. We just had a debate on the 5a board on whether they would be competitive as a middle of the pack team in a RVA district. I believe on the thread about “can anyone in richmond challenge HSHS”. I look at Glass as a better than average team for sure. The results will be interesting. LC has a ton of D1 recruits but are only a 2nd year program. Some posters have said they are unorganized etc. last year they were mostly underclassman though. I’ll be interested in the outcome.

@VolNation85 are you going? If so, I’d love to hear your take after the fact.

Depends on who you ask especially regarding Life Christian in Chester, VA. We just had a debate on the 5a board on whether they would be competitive as a middle of the pack team in a RVA district. I believe on the thread about “can anyone in richmond challenge HSHS”. I look at Glass as a better than average team for sure. The results will be interesting. LC has a ton of D1 recruits but are only a 2nd year program. Some posters have said they are unorganized etc. last year they were mostly underclassman though. I’ll be interested in the outcome.

@VolNation85 are you going? If so, I’d love to hear your take after the fact.
I'm not sure yet if I will be able to make it. I will give my take if I do make it.

Life Christian was better in the trenches and skill v skill. 33-0 and it wasn’t pretty, LCA(rva) was formidable and Glass has some kinks to work out but I doubt there’s anybody they see top to bottom that good.

Life Christian was better in the trenches and skill v skill. 33-0 and it wasn’t pretty, LCA(rva) was formidable and Glass has some kinks to work out but I doubt there’s anybody they see top to bottom that good.

It was good exposure for Glass. Hope they learn from it. They’ll be the best team they play all year.

LCA was 2-6 last year right? All of sudden they are the best team Glass will see all year?

LCA was 2-6 last year right? All of sudden they are the best team Glass will see all year?
They are a school that pretty much recruits for football. Even last year in their first year they played teams like Bishop Sullivan and some other legit private schools. I know they have at least 2 or 3 guys who are already going D1 and probably more who are underclassmen who will probably be as well.

I thought I seen the Glass running back Foster go out early with an ankle injury. Hope he will be ok.

The talent up front coupled with the ability in the skills won’t be mimicked in the Seminole. maybe heritage but we shall see a lot about them as they get Vance(NC) next week. Glass won’t see a team that put together until playoffs.

LCA(rva) isn’t the best team I’ve seen, they would struggle against some 5A/6A teams but they outmatch most 4A. they would’ve been considered top 10 in 4A but maybe not top5.

The talent up front coupled with the ability in the skills won’t be mimicked in the Seminole. maybe heritage but we shall see a lot about them as they get Vance(NC) next week. Glass won’t see a team that put together until playoffs.

LCA(rva) isn’t the best team I’ve seen, they would struggle against some 5A/6A teams but they outmatch most 4A. they would’ve been considered top 10 in 4A but maybe not top5.
I heard Hampton put it on them last week in their scrimmage? Anyone know?

Where did you hear that? That would be TREMEMDOUSLY surprising considering Hampton is coming off a down year. If they crushed LCA they should be a front runner for the class 4 title. Are you sure it wasn’t the other way around?

Reactions: VolNation85
They didn’t “put it on them.” Hampton was up by a TD when the refs called the game because both teams were displaying continued poor sportsmanship. The disclaimer is that Life wasn’t playing all their starters against Hampton either.

@mbonape1 here is my perspective on what I saw last night. Life Christian definitely looks the part. I don't think they played anyone under 6'0" other than the Mason kid at RB that transferred from Bird. They're starting QB didn't play due to a low grade ankle sprain but the back up QB was very good as well and threw the ball very well. Every ball he threw was caught by his receivers or broken up, meaning he was very accurate. Their OL was big and physical and blocked well if they got hands on the Glass DL but Glass did have a fair of success pressuring the QB. Glass did a great job of stopping the run all night. LCA might have had less than 75 yards rushing as a team. Where Glass was completely outmatched was LCA WRs vs Glass DBs. That's not a knock on the Glass secondary at all. It's more of a complement to the skill set of the LCA WRs. They were all 6'0" and taller, ran well, and ran good routes. They consistently got behind the Glass DBs and caught a lot of deep balls.

As far as LCA's defense, they were very fast and very physical. They hustled to the football and tackled well. Their DL was most impressive IMO. They were able to get pressure on the QB all night long and able to stuff the run game of Glass for the most part.

As far as Glass is concerned, they are also a really good team. They will not have to play a team that talented at any point in the season, including playoffs or the state championship, if they are fortunate enough to make it that far. Glass will still have a very good season and make a deep playoff run.

Lastly I will say, there were more than 20 D1 players in this game last night between the two teams. Without question the two best players on the field were DreSean Kendrick of Glass (uncommitted) and Michael James, Jr. from LCA (Liberty commit)...in that order too. Kendrick is the real deal! He consistently made LCA defenders miss tackles in the open field.

My final conclusion is that Life Christian is a really, really good high school team, one of the best that I have seen in person strictly speaking from a pure talent standpoint. I'm not sure how many wins and losses that translates to with the brutal national schedule that they play but they definitely have some ballers. It would be interesting to see how they would fair against a team that has the DBs to matchup with their receivers since that is their strength. Any team can be beaten on any given night but I doubt there are many VHSL programs that would be able to compete with them for 4 quarters. Highland Springs is the only team that comes to mind.

P.S. Since there was talk the 5A board (I think) about how undisciplined and "dirty" Life Christian is, I should mention that I didn't see any of that at all last night. Both team play a physical brand of football but well within the rules. There wasn't any unsportsmanlike penalties and only one late hit penalty by an LCA lineman and one face mask penalty by a Glass defender. Both teams conducted themselves with class. Players and coaches from both team hung around for a few minutes after the game was over and chatted.

Last edited:
@mbonape1 here is my perspective on what I saw last night. Life Christian definitely looks the part. I don't think they played anyone under 6'0" other than the Mason kid at RB that transferred from Bird. They're starting QB didn't play due to a low grade ankle sprain but the back up QB was very good as well and threw the ball very well. Every ball he threw was caught by his receivers or broken up, meaning he was very accurate. Their OL was big and physical and blocked well if they got hands on the Glass DL but Glass did have a fair of success pressuring the QB. Glass did a great job of stopping the run all night. LCA might have had less than 75 yards rushing as a team. Where Glass was completely outmatched was LCA WRs vs Glass DBs. That's not a knock on the Glass secondary at all. It's more of a complement to the skill set of the LCA WRs. They were all 6'0" and taller, ran well, and ran good routes. They consistently got behind the Glass DBs and caught a lot of deep balls.

As far as LCA's defense, they were very fast and very physical. They hustled to the football and tackled well. Their DL was most impressive IMO. They were able to get pressure on the QB all night long and able to stuff the run game of Glass for the most part.

My final conclusion is that Life Christian is a really, really good high school team, one of the best that I have seen in person strictly speaking from a pure talent standpoint. I'm not sure how many wins and losses that translates to with the brutal national schedule that they play but they definitely have some ballers. It would be interesting to see how they would fair against a team that has the DBs to matchup with their receivers since that is their strength.

As far as Glass is concerned, they are also a really good team. They will not have to play a team that talented at any point in the season, including playoffs or the state championship, if they are fortunate enough to make it that far. Glass will still have a very good season and make a deep playoff run.

Lastly I will say, there were more than 20 D1 players in this game last night between the two teams. Without question the two best players on the field were DreSean Kendrick of Glass (uncommitted) and Michael James, Jr. from LCA (Liberty commit)...in that order too. Kendrick is the real deal! He consistently made LCA defenders miss tackles in the open field.

Good stuff thank you!

My final conclusion is that Life Christian is a really, really good high school team, one of the best that I have seen in person strictly speaking from a pure talent standpoint. I'm not sure how many wins and losses that translates to with the brutal national schedule that they play but they definitely have some ballers. It would be interesting to see how they would fair against a team that has the DBs to matchup with their receivers since that is their strength. Any team can be beaten on any given night but I doubt there are many VHSL programs that would be able to compete with them for 4 quarters. Highland Springs is the only team that comes to mind.

P.S. Since there was talk the 5A board (I think) about how undisciplined and "dirty" Life Christian is, I should mention that I didn't see any of that at all last night. Both team play a physical brand of football but well within the rules. There wasn't any unsportsmanlike penalties and only one late hit penalty by an LCA lineman and one face mask penalty by a Glass defender. Both teams conducted themselves with class. Players and coaches from both team hung around for a few minutes after the game was over and chatted.
Kendrick definitely looked the part last night. Glass is going to have a great season. LCA was very fast and tackled well. On several runs of it were any other team, they would’ve been big gains, or long touchdowns. LCA is loaded.

I heard Hampton put it on them last week in their scrimmage? Anyone know?[/QUOTE
Where did you hear that? That would be TREMEMDOUSLY surprising considering Hampton is coming off a down year. If they crushed LCA they should be a front runner for the class 4 title. Are you sure it wasn’t the other way around?
That's why I asked. That is what I heard, definitely seems not to be so.

Reactions: mbonape1
This school recruits players I’m assuming? And if so how did they end up playing Glass? I’m just confused!!! Thought that you couldn’t play other schools that didn’t do the same

This school recruits players I’m assuming? And if so how did they end up playing Glass? I’m just confused!!! Thought that you couldn’t play other schools that didn’t do the same

Was just a scrimmage and not a real game. Maybe Glass wanted to see where they were at? Yes, that school definitely recruits players though.

I know nothing of Life Christian. It looks like they won two games last year. I obtained that info off of Max Preps. I know two private schools here in Roanoke, who have both been rather successful lately, in fact, so much so that Catholic is having a hard time finding a full schedule this year. They have won 31 games in a row and most of their games are over at the half. I am not going to go over where they get their players on particular years but with teams like Patrick Henry, William Fleming, Salem, Lord Botetourt, Glenvar, Hidden Valley, Cave Spring, William Byrd, Northside and possibly Franklin County with players to pull from if available, they have a large pool.I know of players that have transferred from Salem to go there. Yeah, I know, transferred from Salem, HA Ha. They are usually players who have some talent, but for whatever reason, they are not getting the playing time at a public school early on or there are other reasons, like religion. The other advantage is that from what I know, once they transfer, they can play there an extra year. I am not sure about all the details on that if graduation or being held back in class one year or age rules but I know I read this some where. So taking all this into account it looks like Life Christian in Richmond area was not as good last year, only two wins. One year can make a big difference at a private school. They get transfers, have older players etc. Liberty Christian at times, in Lynchburg area, has fielded very good teams but their talent pool varies every year like these other private schools in Roanoke area. For the private schools in areas that are not metropolitan like Richmond or Roanoke or to a smaller degree Lynchburg they do not have as many schools to pull from.

Guys and Gals, most of LCA (RVA) players were 9th and 10th graders last year playing against senior laden high level private schools. A majority of the team has been playing together for some time on the Hurricanes AAU team. The Coach has recruited some of the best talent within 100 miles of this school. My only beef with the entire program is its academics. They generally take on line classes and may struggle in college. I applaud EC Glass for challenging themselves early on. It means very little in the grand scheme of things.

I know nothing of Life Christian. It looks like they won two games last year. I obtained that info off of Max Preps. I know two private schools here in Roanoke, who have both been rather successful lately, in fact, so much so that Catholic is having a hard time finding a full schedule this year. They have won 31 games in a row and most of their games are over at the half. I am not going to go over where they get their players on particular years but with teams like Patrick Henry, William Fleming, Salem, Lord Botetourt, Glenvar, Hidden Valley, Cave Spring, William Byrd, Northside and possibly Franklin County with players to pull from if available, they have a large pool.I know of players that have transferred from Salem to go there. Yeah, I know, transferred from Salem, HA Ha. They are usually players who have some talent, but for whatever reason, they are not getting the playing time at a public school early on or there are other reasons, like religion. The other advantage is that from what I know, once they transfer, they can play there an extra year. I am not sure about all the details on that if graduation or being held back in class one year or age rules but I know I read this some where. So taking all this into account it looks like Life Christian in Richmond area was not as good last year, only two wins. One year can make a big difference at a private school. They get transfers, have older players etc. Liberty Christian at times, in Lynchburg area, has fielded very good teams but their talent pool varies every year like these other private schools in Roanoke area. For the private schools in areas that are not metropolitan like Richmond or Roanoke or to a smaller degree Lynchburg they do not have as many schools to pull from.
Life Christian basically plays a national schedule. So while they only had 2 wins last year, the level of competition was extremely higher than what Roanoke Catholic played.

My only beef with the entire program is its academics. They generally take on line classes and may struggle in college.

And therein lies the problem with this type of school. Saint Frances Academy in Maryland is another prime example.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Life Christian basically plays a national schedule. So while they only had 2 wins last year, the level of competition was extremely higher than what Roanoke Catholic played.
They won’t have more than 2 wins THIS YEAR either! Setting kids up to get EMBARRASSED/hurt every game is nothing to be proud of. Playing the likes of Hun and IMG with low level D1 players is not impressive AT ALL. Fact is...if anyone thinks that EC Glass or a down Hampton are ANY measuring stick to their ridiculous(DUMB) schedule,you’re nuts. When your “best player” is only going to Liberty...prepare for a year of beatings!

Never jump in the Pacific Ocean if you’re just learning how to swim!

They won’t have more than 2 wins THIS YEAR either! Setting kids up to get EMBARRASSED/hurt every game is nothing to be proud of. Playing the likes of Hun and IMG with low level D1 players is not impressive AT ALL. Fact is...if anyone thinks that EC Glass or a down Hampton are ANY measuring stick to their ridiculous(DUMB) schedule,you’re nuts. When your “best player” is only going to Liberty...prepare for a year of beatings!

They have a ton of kids going to high level programs including Joseph Johnson who is a penn state verbal. Now can they compete with the likes of img probably not.

They have a ton of kids going to high level programs including Joseph Johnson who is a penn state verbal. Now can they compete with the likes of img probably not.
I saw the INDIVIDUAL talent and the lack of Discipline when they faced Hampton. If this team wins more than 2 games...they should consider it a successful season.

Didn’t know you could scrimmage a private school thanks for the information!

Maybe not the exact same, but schools have played teams like Fork Union in the regular season. They have 5th year players and such. And I think (not sure not being from the area) but back when they were private I believe some teams played LCA (Liberty Christian). But anyway, back when Goochland would play Fork Union, the game just didn't count as a game in regards to playoffs, so at the end of season their points would be divided by 9 instead of 10

Reactions: Lewis918777
It’s sad the amount of people who want to see those kids from Life Christian fail. It’s really pathetic. You know who you are.. Y’all are grown men/women. Let’s just wish them the best and go on with your lives.

This is one of the the most ignorant things I’ve read on here. You should be ashamed of yourself bashing those kids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT