ADVERTISEMENT

Glenvar Graham Scrimmage

intrinsicreward

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 4, 2015
Both defenses looked pretty stout. Graham's play makers look state championship caliber and pass the eye test. They will both be very difficult to contain for every team they play. Maybe the quickest/change direction players in 2A. Only one touchdown was scored during the scrimmage by Graham on a long pass, catch, and great move/run down the sidelines near the end of scrimmage.

Graham scored on their last possession on a 35 yard td to the corner of the endzone. Receiver was very close to being out of bounds. The xp was good. (They played with down markers for each teams last possession). It ended up 2 scores to none. The refs called the scrimmage off it appeared after a skirmish and it appeared the scrimmage was over. The coaches decided to finish the scrimmage and put the teams back on the field. The refs left and coaches went with 1 more possession for each teams 1st and 2nd teamers. Several people left believing the scrimmage was over.

Anybody know why Christiansburgs jv participated, but varsity did not?

Graham scored on their last possession on a 35 yard td to the corner of the endzone. Receiver was very close to being out of bounds. The xp was good. (They played with down markers for each teams last possession). It ended up 2 scores to none. The refs called the scrimmage off it appeared after a skirmish and it appeared the scrimmage was over. The coaches decided to finish the scrimmage and put the teams back on the field. The refs left and coaches went with 1 more possession for each teams 1st and 2nd teamers. Several people left believing the scrimmage was over.

The receiver was actually about 3 yrds out of the side of the endzone so it was only 1 score. There were no officials and all the coaches were behind the offense so no one could see it but he was clearly out.

It was a good scrimmage. Actually much cleaner and more well run after the officials left. I'm not sure they were even interested in being there. Graham did hit the one big play but otherwise both teams seemed pretty even. Glenvar had the ball in the redzone once when their set number of plays ran out so they may have scored there.

Both teams should be very good this year.

C-burg has a scrimmage against Auburn and a benefit game with Northside. Auburn probably doesnt have a JV to scrimmage.

Reactions: 19GHS87
The last scoring play for Graham in the corner of the endzone the receiver landed on his back 3 yds out of bounds. Standing right there. The one and only score of the game was highlight reel. Talented receiver and QB. Most impressive to me was the defensive side of the ball. Both teams are the real deal. Your not going to just run on Graham or Glenvar for that matter. Barring injury and a little luck both teams should represent their districts well. The skirmish was unintentional and got blown out of proportion and the refs decided to take their ball and go home. Come on fellows you walked off when those teams needed you the most. That's your job!! There were 10 or 12 them. Anyway the story is defense. Lord of mercy those kids will hit ya. Wow good luck guys. Good start

I watched this one like I did last year. Graham looked incredible. Graham starters had 2 TDs to Glenvar 0. Graham defense is as good or better than last year. On offense, it was a bit misleading if this were a real game scenario because the play stopped when the QBs were touched. Graham and Lester had 2 times where he was in open space leaving the line of scrimmage and a Glenvar defender got a hand on him and the play was stopped. In a real game, Lester wouldn't have been tackled and he would have had huge gains and probably a score on one of those runs. Lastly, Graham had a long pass for a score that was halted/play stopped because the defender again got one hand on Lester right as he was throwing and in a real game scenario, he wouldn't have been tackled and that would have been a score.

For Glenvar, their huge O Line and D Line looked very good. I don't see many teams if any running the ball right at them in a four quarter game. They are very good up front. Offensively, I think they are going to be solid again running the ball regardless of last night. That's as good a D as Glenvar will play. Glenvar is a team that can win Region C over Radford, Appo, and the rest. I'm not saying they will or won't, but it looks like they are going to be good enough and are at least as good as last year.

I watched this one like I did last year. Graham looked incredible. Graham starters had 2 TDs to Glenvar 0. Graham defense is as good or better than last year. On offense, it was a bit misleading if this were a real game scenario because the play stopped when the QBs were touched. Graham and Lester had 2 times where he was in open space leaving the line of scrimmage and a Glenvar defender got a hand on him and the play was stopped. In a real game, Lester wouldn't have been tackled and he would have had huge gains and probably a score on one of those runs. Lastly, Graham had a long pass for a score that was halted/play stopped because the defender again got one hand on Lester right as he was throwing and in a real game scenario, he wouldn't have been tackled and that would have been a score.

For Glenvar, their huge O Line and D Line looked very good. I don't see many teams if any running the ball right at them in a four quarter game. They are very good up front. Offensively, I think they are going to be solid again running the ball regardless of last night. That's as good a D as Glenvar will play. Glenvar is a team that can win Region C over Radford, Appo, and the rest. I'm not saying they will or won't, but it looks like they are going to be good enough and are at least as good as last year.

If Lester starts throwing the ball more consistently, Graham will be very dangerous. I agree about both teams. Not many will be able to run on Glenvar or Graham. Lester could have scrambled for a few big gainers but the play was blown dead. A major area of weakness for Graham is the interior of that offensive line. They will have to improve there. If they shore that up, they willbe very formidable. Glenvar is big and strong and will beable to control possession in a lot of games.

Does anyone know why Graham's 5 coaches were standing in between players in the defensive backfield with the Graham players while Glenvar was trying to run offense? There was little to no open field which must have looked like Graham had 20 players to the Glenvar QB as some of those guys were big fella's. lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, just seemed more like a pre scrimmage scrimmage and something you would do within your own practice between the varsity and scout team, not an actual scrimmage against another school.

Last edited:
19GHS87, I agree. Graham's interior offensive line has some work to do. Outside of Bluefield, Graham probably played against the best defensive line it will face in the regular season. Graham's ability to pass protect was pretty good, but a huge credit to Glenvar in the following area and that's run defense with 5 playing coverage. Graham's speed at the wide out positions requires at least 4 and mostly 5 dropping in coverage by the defensive opponent. Glenvar was able to effectively stop Grahams run while having only having 6 in the box at the snap of the ball and that's a huge tell tale sign about how good Glenvars defensive line is. If Graham has a weakness or area where they may be vulnerable at this early point in the season, it's the interior OL. For Glenvar, it's the wide out positions on O and D that will need work. Their front 7 on both sides is very good, but the secondary needs work and the passing game needs huge work. Graham blanketed their receivers.

Anybody know why Christiansburgs jv participated, but varsity did not?
I was told that Graham wasn't able to bring a JV team so since it was at Cburg they used that as an convenient opportunity for the Cburg JV and the Glenvar JV to scrimmage. It was at Cburg because Glenvar's field is being astroturfed right now and Cburg was gracious enough to invite them both.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why Graham's 5 coaches were standing in between players in the defensive backfield with the Graham players while Glenvar was trying to run offense? There was little to no open field which must have looked like Graham had 20 players to the Glenvar QB as some of those guys were big fella's. lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, just seemed more like a pre scrimmage scrimmage and something you would do within your own practice between the varsity and scout team, not an actual scrimmage against another school.

I agree. That was weird. I will say this though Intrinsic, with that ungodly speed Graham had in the secondary, would it have made a difference in the passing game? No, it wouldn't have. The same applies to Grahams run game versus Glenvars DL. Glenvar might as well have placed its coaches on the DL as run stoppers because Graham wasn't running on them.

19GHS87, I agree. Graham's interior offensive line has some work to do. Outside of Bluefield, Graham probably played against the best defensive line it will face in the regular season. Graham's ability to pass protect was pretty good, but a huge credit to Glenvar in the following area and that's run defense with 5 playing coverage. Graham's speed at the wide out positions requires at least 4 and mostly 5 dropping in coverage by the defensive opponent. Glenvar was able to effectively stop Grahams run while having only having 6 in the box at the snap of the ball and that's a huge tell tale sign about how good Glenvars defensive line is. If Graham has a weakness or area where they may be vulnerable at this early point in the season, it's the interior OL. For Glenvar, it's the wide out positions on O and D that will need work. Their front 7 on both sides is very good, but the secondary needs work and the passing game needs huge work. Graham blanketed their receivers.
True, the Glenvar passing game didn't look very good but Glenvar has a really good "state caliber" receiver that was out with an injury. I don't think the coaches worked the passing game that much last night for that reason.

I agree. That was weird. I will say this though Intrinsic, with that ungodly speed Graham had in the secondary, would it have made a difference in the passing game? No, it wouldn't have. The same applies to Grahams run game versus Glenvars DL. Glenvar might as well have placed its coaches on the DL as run stoppers because Graham wasn't running on them.
Yes I agree. Those two guys are so quick and speedy I think I would run play action on every play if I were the Graham coach. They are going to be a handful for any team.

I was told that Graham wasn't able to bring a JV team so since it was at Cburg they used that as an convenient opportunity for the Cburg JV and the Glenvar JV to scrimmage. It was at Cburg because Glenvar's field is being astroturfed right now and Cburg was gracious enough to invite them both.
Thank you. Graham did bring their jv and they got to scrimmage both Glenvar and C Burg. It was good to get to scrimmage both. I was just curious of the circumstances.

Completely agree. You and I were definitely watching the same scrimmage.

Here are some of Marcus Ray's hi-lights in the Graham vs Glenvar scrimmage, he definitely stood out as having big play potential. Check out the last catch that was called a td on the field by the coaches that was "3 yards out of bounds". Looks like he could have been out of bounds, but as you can see, it wasn't by much, excellent effort to get the feet down on that catch. Kid has great hands. The White Line is the out of bounds.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/7251403/marqus-ray

Here are some of Marcus Ray's hi-lights in the Graham vs Glenvar scrimmage, he definitely stood out as having big play potential. Check out the last catch that was called a td on the field by the coaches that was "3 yards out of bounds". Looks like he could have been out of bounds, but as you can see, it wasn't by much, excellent effort to get the feet down on that catch. Kid has great hands. The White Line is the out of bounds.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/7251403/marqus-ray
Thanks for posting GHS87. Big play ability oozing out all over for Graham for sure and they gotta be the favorite to win it all in 2A.... and now we also know (if it even matters but seems to matter to some) that Graham scored once.

One thing that was partially answered for me is that the line play will be pretty good this year. I think Radford and Appo would have to be the favorites in Region C but if Glenvar RBacks can stay healthy, and if the teams works hard, is coachable, and gets hot, they are legit contenders for sure. Glenvar plays, Blacksburg (Scrimmage Benefit) Cave, Hidden Valley, Riverheads, and Galax to start the season so if they meet that challenge well, they will be much better by November. Winning is December is all about momentum..

C'burg scrimmaged Auburn, which doesn't have a JV team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT