ADVERTISEMENT

Goochland Schedule for 2019

Oct 17, 2017
I am curious about the Goochland schedule for 2019. They move up to Class 3 yet play basically the same schedule as before. So, they are playing one Class 3 team, 6 Class 2 teams, 2 Class 1 teams and FUMA which doesn't give them points.

Doesn't this make it much harder for them to make the playoffs if the other Class 3 schools are playing Class 3 and 4 opponents and therefore generating more points?

Anyone have any insight? Was it just difficulty in changing the schedule? Do they expect to drop back down with the next cycle?

I am curious about the Goochland schedule for 2019. They move up to Class 3 yet play basically the same schedule as before. So, they are playing one Class 3 team, 6 Class 2 teams, 2 Class 1 teams and FUMA which doesn't give them points.

Doesn't this make it much harder for them to make the playoffs if the other Class 3 schools are playing Class 3 and 4 opponents and therefore generating more points?

Anyone have any insight? Was it just difficulty in changing the schedule? Do they expect to drop back down with the next cycle?
The FUMA game will give them points. Private school's enrollment and the 1.5 multiplier determine the Class points that are received. If the private school is all male then the enrollment is doubled as well. If I'm not mistaken, FUMA is considered C3 for points purposes.

From the Daily Press May 2015:

"Also the VHSL will count games against non-member private schools in the football ratings system that determines playoff seedings. Before, those games were excluded in the ratings."

Playing lower classifications that are in your district will not hurt when it comes to power points. Goochland will receive extra points that will make each of their district games count as if they were all 3A schools. Having said that, there is no room on the schedule to add a 4A or higher game unless they drop FUMA. The FUMA game has never counted because (I believe) they recruit out of state. The Layfayette game is the game that replaced TJ on the schedule. The county is growing pretty fast so I would not think that Goochland will go back to 2A. The only way would be if other schools are built in populated areas that are bigger and the numbers would have to go up significantly in other regions to do that. Goochland staying in the James River District was not their choice. I think the Jefferson District would have been a nice fit again but it wasn't in the cards for this cycle.

Only private’s that count are non boarding schools so your FUMA’s are out there. Goochland will still get their fair share of points imo! The thing about playing in a big district like the JRD (8 district games) is you get a lot of guaranteed points in games with teams beating one another

Boarding schools can't join the VHSL, but they still count towards points. FUMA is considered C2 or C3. Their enrollment (x2 for being all male, & x1.5 for multiple zones) puts them close to the cutoff line.

From a 2015 Preps post:

The rule as written is...

68-4-6 (2) When the Rating Scale is used to designate teams for championship playoffs, only games between members of the Virginia High School League, other public schools and non-public Virginia schools shall be counted.

Boarding or non boarding only applies to inclusion as a VHSL member.

I see Goochland didn't get points for playing FUMA last year in a post from Preps last year. Looks like I was wrong, sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: moto138
Playing lower classifications that are in your district will not hurt when it comes to power points. Goochland will receive extra points that will make each of their district games count as if they were all 3A schools. Having said that, there is no room on the schedule to add a 4A or higher game unless they drop FUMA. The FUMA game has never counted because (I believe) they recruit out of state. The Layfayette game is the game that replaced TJ on the schedule. The county is growing pretty fast so I would not think that Goochland will go back to 2A. The only way would be if other schools are built in populated areas that are bigger and the numbers would have to go up significantly in other regions to do that. Goochland staying in the James River District was not their choice. I think the Jefferson District would have been a nice fit again but it wasn't in the cards for this cycle.

Thanks for the reply. How exactly will Goochland receive extra points that make their district games count as if they were all 3A schools?

Thanks for the reply. How exactly will Goochland receive extra points that make their district games count as if they were all 3A schools?
From the pinned post at the top of the Class 3 threads entitled "How power points are calculated"

1. Classification Points
      The addition of classification points makes it possible for higher class teams to play lower class team's without creating a disadvantage. Historical districts are still used as a core in scheduling, which creates some districts with different class teams. If a higher class team play's a lower class team, they will automatically receive 2 points for each class jump to make up for the difference in base points. These points are now given whether a team is in your district or not.

But isn't playing a whole district slate a choice?
I know of several schools that chooses not to play weak district opponents.
Maybe each district make their own rules in this regard.

But isn't playing a whole district slate a choice?
I know of several schools that chooses not to play weak district opponents.
Maybe each district make their own rules in this regard.

Unless I am mistaken for other classifications or larger districts, not playing a full slate of district games disqualifies them from playoffs. How it has been with 1a/2a. A reason only 6 teams were making playoffs in 1b and 2 of those teams were 0-10

Goochland will play Louisa next Friday (August 16th) at Fluvanna County. 6:30 start time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT