ADVERTISEMENT

Goochland & Stuarts Draft

Oct 19, 2016
Wanted to get everyone's input on the rankings put out today by VApreps for 2A East. Right now Goochland is undefeated and the only team with 8 wins(due to not having their bye week yet of course) and is ranked #5 behind four 2A West teams and two of them already have lost a game. Goochland is second in points scored and second in least points scored against. Stuarts Draft is also undefeated and is first in least points scored against...so why are they ranked #7? I think the West is stronger than the East top to bottom and I really don't know that much about Stuarts Draft but I feel like some people are sleeping on Goochland. They schedule tough out of district opponents but Essex, Fork Union, and Lee ended up all having down years. I guess we will see how they do against 6-1 Lunenburg who should be their biggest test thus far. Opinions?

Apples and oranges. If Goochland takes care of business, they will be hosting through the 3rd or 4th round. Can't ask for anything more than that come playoff time.

Reactions: obguthr
I am the only one posting on here from Stuarts Draft so I can tell you they have a really good defense like you said, and have a huge game in a couple weeks with Riverheads. IF things are still the same with points system back when I was doing it on these boards, I believe the Fork Union game doesn't count in the points as they are a private school, so that could end up hurting Goochland for seeding if both end up close.

I may be wrong but I believe private schools count on the points system now unless they are an out of state private school. If I'm wrong someone please correct me

I may be wrong but I believe private schools count on the points system now unless they are an out of state private school. If I'm wrong someone please correct me

You certainly could be right, it's been quite a few years since I did points, but Goochland being 8-0, didn't the vhsl standings say 7-0? That is another reason I thought that, but I certainly could be wrong, have been many times before

The Fork Union game does not count. Fork Union is a Category III private school according to the VHSL and those schools do not follow VHSL individual eligibility rules. For some reason Trinity Episcopal is also a Category III private school yet their games count vs. VHSL opponents. I suspect someone with more knowledge of this matter can explain why.

Last edited:
Reactions: kwhs95fan
Apples and oranges. If Goochland takes care of business, they will be hosting through the 3rd or 4th round. Can't ask for anything more than that come playoff time.
Goochland much better than Draft . IMO They should win out !

The Fork Union game does not count. Fork Union is a Category III private school according to the VHSL and those schools do not follow VHSL individual eligibility rules. For some reason Trinity Episcopal is also a Category III private school yet their games count vs. VHSL opponents. I suspect someone with more knowledge of this matter can explain why.

I don't think Trinity should count either based on the designation. So either something is incorrect or I suspect they will be making adjustments at some point. I posted about Goochland and FUMA on a previous thread and they ended up making corrections the following week.

Speaking of Goochland, the folks over at Scrimmageplay have a nice article written in their current magazine issue about them.
https://issuu.com/scrimmageplay/docs/issue_3-8_final

Last edited:
Reactions: G-DOG2
Trinity's game last season vs. Sussex Central counted as well as the rematch this season and a game vs. Northumberland. If you download the master schedule you will find Trinity Episcopal as a 1A private school.

I saw that as well. I would say that the designation list is incorrect then. Just for reference, they had Fork Union designated as a 2A private school even though they were a Category III school. It would be interesting to see if any public vs private matchups include other Category III schools and how the outcome was reflected in the ratings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT