ADVERTISEMENT

Graham 42-28 with 1/2 of a QB. Its different in Bluefield

Talked to 5 Appo fans while ago at Applebee's that were class act like there team and coach. They said they practiced all week on kicking deep to the left side of the field to Watkins and not Bradshaw, and the kicks were mishits/unintentional to Bradshaw. I believe them. They were good people and had no reason to lie.
I agree. I don’t think they meant to kick to Bradshaw. I think the one kick they intended to go in the end zone and unfortunately for them Bradshaw caught at the one yard line. Bradshaw is electric and so much fun to watch. Graham’s defense made the difference though and that was with two starters out. If Blevins & Sawyers weren’t out on D, I’m not sure Appo gets to the outside to score a couple of the TDs they did. Next week’s game comes down to defense, I agree. Graham has some great defensive minds on the coaching staff. They’ll be well prepared I’m betting.

Appomattox going for it on their own 22 and not making it late in the first period was big in this game too, I think. Graham scored after that turnover on downs, that was a big swing in momentum.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
No offense to Union, but I've said this before. I want Appo to come West out of the friendly officiating of Region C on their home field against a team that has equal athletes where Appo can't simply out athlete the opponent.

It's exactly what I thought would happen. It's done,

Appo is a beast and class throughout. Graham is the one team that is different in the west/Region D because of the athletes. You can certainly beat em, but you aren't going to out athlete em. Appo isn't used to that.

Doug Smith, incredible coach. He should have learned his lesson in 2019 about kicking to Bradshaw. He's elite and wanted by Notre Dame for a reason. Appo handed Graham 2 TDs. Graham out Appo'd Appo today with Braddhaw and special teams.
The fake punt at that position of the field and kicking deep to Bradshaw i will never understand. As good of a coach as smith is i have to say straight up that was bonehead. That was 3 free touchdowns for Graham.

Appomattox going for it on their own 22 and not making it late in the first period was big in this game too, I think. Graham scored after that turnover on downs, that was a big swing in momentum.
Yeah Graham scored on that turnover.

The fake punt at that position of the field and kicking deep to Bradshaw i will never understand. As good of a coach as smith is i have to say straight up that was bonehead. That was 3 free touchdowns for Graham.
I’m of the belief they didn’t mean to kick it to Bradshaw. It was just a miscue.

Kicks weren't intentional. But that fake punt was a gamble. I thought Appo got jobbed on the fumble recovery. I thought the kid from Appo recovered in bounds. It was right in front of me. Unless the officials thought he had a leg or arm out of bounds or something, but I sure didn't see it. I thought it was a clean recovery.

I agree. Bradshaw has burnt every team that has kicked to him this year. Graham's defensive line has been great the past few weeks and have really stepped it up. I'm curious to see what Appo fans think of Graham's chances next week. Appo has been there and done that and I respect the opinions of their fans that post on here a lot.
Since 2015 i have always considered the C vs D game as the state championship game. Even tho region A and B are tough they have not been able to go the distance when they have performed better on the field until the end. I seriously look for Graham to win this year and that is what i predicted about midseason on the SW board.

Reactions: 19GHS87
I’m of the belief they didn’t mean to kick it to Bradshaw. It was just a miscue.
I do believe that too but other options could have been employed. The biggest failure was/is Appo's inability to tackle.

As a SWVA guy I apologize for this ignorant thread. Appo is the class of 2A and has the respect of 99% of SWVA. I’m happy Graham won but I think we seen two pretty equal teams play.A healthy Blevins would’ve helped more on defense today than offense in my opinion. Him bring hampered made Graham a run heavy team which (ad shown) is the way to win against Appo.

Are we sure @GrahamHighGmen is actually a Graham guy? Comes off a lot like another message board poster that is a fan of another school that has had bad blood with Appo before.

Reactions: 19GHS87
Biggest factor in that game was Grahams ability to run the ball. Same thing for Appo over Graham in 19 two yrs ago. Even if Graham doesn't get the kick returns, Graham ran it better than Appo, not by much, but enough to kill clock and limit Appos touches. Late in the playoffs at the 2A level, the ability to run the ball is critical and who does it best usually wins. Appo also hurt itself with several 1st and 15s. Those motion penalties can be killers for running dominant teams.

Diehard Gmen that played 2 years before you transferred to Tazewell. Played 4 yrs at Graham and know YOU. Have all the respect in the world for Appo and Smith and has said so countless times on here. No need to apologize for me, I have said nothing wrong. Stabler is an arrogant turd who said 3 weeks ago they will lkick Grahams you know what and send them back to Bluefield. Only "board" I'm on is this one.
I was at Applebees. So you are saying that I said that so show us all that post ! You can’t because that never happened I remember you ! Troll

Diehard Gmen that played 2 years before you transferred to Tazewell. Played 4 yrs at Graham and know YOU. Have all the respect in the world for Appo and Smith and has said so countless times on here. No need to apologize for me, I have said nothing wrong. Stabler is an arrogant turd who said 3 weeks ago they will lkick Grahams you know what and send them back to Bluefield. Only "board" I'm on is this one.

Alright, that explains the posts about Appomattox/Graham.

So then explain your 1st post calling out people for being smartasses (about points), for saying Strasburg couldn't compete with Buckingham, for saying nobody in B (aside from Buckingham) could compete with SD, for calling out Nottoway/KW MULTIPLE times about NFHS like you knew ALL the details, explain trying to sound like you know deeply what ALL these teams are.

We ALL want those answers lol

Alright, that explains the posts about Appomattox/Graham.

So then explain your 1st post calling out people for being smartasses (about points), for saying Strasburg couldn't compete with Buckingham, for saying nobody in B (aside from Buckingham) could compete with SD, for calling out Nottoway/KW MULTIPLE times about NFHS like you knew ALL the details, explain trying to sound like you know deeply what ALL these teams are.

We ALL want those answers lol
Only answer I got is 42-28. I know Draft is getting ready for Hoops. They dont want no more Appo

Just read articles about the game from BHC and News & Advance. It would seem that Coach Smith did indeed kick to Bradshaw intentionally. Not sure why though.

It seems to me ,the raiders just got beat by a better team and also got out coached.With you defense playing lights out in the second half, why in the world do you kick the ball to bradshaw?
I totally agree, first off I would never tried a fake punt on 4th and 9 on our 30, to me that was the first bad call. Then, YES, WHY WHY WHY did we kick twice to a D1 best athlete on the field when our kickoff team is our Achilles heel. Not sure who made them calls but geesh.... Smh *Sigh*

I mean I believe the game could have stayed pretty tight if them 3 things would have not taken place. Also, to the guy mentioning, half of a QB, well I could tell Lawing wasnt him self for the rest of the game after he went out for a series after he got laid out. Grahams D Line is strong cause we couldnt get jack going up the middle.

Last but not least, our punting game was off today by far, I'm like why all these pooch kicks giving GMen great field position. All in all, Congrats to Graham, y'all had the better overall team today. That #5 is a quick y'all got, hope y'all can stop KW's Claiborne that runs a 4.36

Hats of to the G-Men but even with a healthy QB I say KW takes the ship ! #PO1ForLife

And Region 2B, just haven't had much in years. Come Dec each year, yell shoundt be near a football board

Hahahaha. Gosh you REALLY like being wrong and making yourself look like an idiot.

Since 2016: These are the teams that can say they played in 2 Championship games, 3 Semifinal games, and 4 Regional Final games

Galax
Riverheads
Graham
Appomattox
Stuarts Draft
Salem
Stone Bridge
Highland Springs
Oscar Smith
Phoebus
Westfield
Hopewell

And I believe South County.

You think you are saying something smart, or something to get under my skin, but you are just making yourself look like a fool. And to declare dominance because of special teams (those Appomattox teams, and the 2 Graham teams) is a stretch at best. And to act like the Spring game between Appo/SD was anything but a toss up is just showing your true intentions.

And since you refuse to answer them, you prove what everyone is saying, you only get on here to troll. Which is fine, but don't act all offended when you aren't respected.

But go ahead with all your talk and try and make yourself seem important. There are some on here that just want to talk football, there are some who are involved and just want to talk football, and then there are those that just want to talk.

But heck, we can put the ball in your court (yes a different sport analogy), you can prove just how much (or little) you know, how would you attack and slow down each of the two GREAT teams remaining?

Reactions: kwhs95fan
I totally agree, first off I would never tried a fake punt on 4th and 9 on our 30, to me that was the first bad call. Then, YES, WHY WHY WHY did we kick twice to a D1 best athlete on the field when our kickoff team is our Achilles heel. Not sure who made them calls but geesh.... Smh *Sigh*

I mean I believe the game could have stayed pretty tight if them 3 things would have not taken place. Also, to the guy mentioning, half of a QB, well I could tell Lawing wasnt him self for the rest of the game after he went out for a series after he got laid out. Grahams D Line is strong cause we couldnt get jack going up the middle.

Last but not least, our punting game was off today by far, I'm like why all these pooch kicks giving GMen great field position. All in all, Congrats to Graham, y'all had the better overall team today. That #5 is a quick y'all got, hope y'all can stop KW's Claiborne that runs a 4.36

Hats of to the G-Men but even with a healthy QB I say KW takes the ship ! #PO1ForLife
Graham ran for 356 yds. That's the most given up by Appo since the run started in 15 including the big losses to Heritsge , lots of passing yards with Htage. Appo had around 150 running against Graham.

Just read articles about the game from BHC and News & Advance. It would seem that Coach Smith did indeed kick to Bradshaw intentionally. Not sure why though.

He obviously believed in his players and thought they would match up well with Bradshaw. Thats the only reason u kick it to him. But after the first one I would've been hesitant.

Reactions: Union_Fan
Per B.Daily Telegraph

Team Statistics

First Downs:
Graham 17; Appomattox 10. Rushes-Yd’s: Graham 51-351; Appomattox 30-163. Passing Ydg: Graham 13, Appomattox 96; CAI: Graham 3-5-0, 13; Appomattox 8-18-0. Total Offense: Graham 364, Appomattox 259. Fumble-Lost: Graham 3-2; Appomattox 2-1. Punts-Avg.: Graham 1-45; Appomattox 6-23.0. Penalties-Yards: Graham 7-50; Appomattox 6-3

The 3 on penalty yards for Appo is a misprint by the paper. They had I think, 35 yards in penalties not 3.

can you link it?
Excerpt from NA...

Smith said he’ll question where the kickoffs went for “a long time, but I also feel like our guys know that we believe in them, no matter who they have on the other team. We’re going to give everything we’ve got to stop them.”

Excerpt from BHC...

Smith explained the decision to kick to Bradshaw in the second half instead of going with a squib kick.

“We’ve struggled with our kickoffs this year, so to kick it to [Turner-Bradshaw] was probably not the best coaching thing,” Smith said. “He’s good, no doubt.”

Reactions: Gridiron1960
You mentioned Union, comparing this Appomattox team to the one that came to BSG in 2017 is like comparing 2021 LSU to 2019 LSU. Tre Lawing is a very good QB but Javon Scruggs was special. Every Appomattox fan on here has said, most repeatedly, that this Appomattox team wasn't quite up to their standard from 2015-2020. But, congrats to Graham, they're electric.
Truth. Javon was the ultimate competitor and playmaker.

Word on street is your a very heavy man crowding up all the space in that Draft pressbox and eating up all the hotdogs. Peeps at Riverheads said you were pushing 400 and your a@@ looked like two bulldogs fist-fightin in a duffle bag. Time to call it a year Albert, it's bigboy football talk and 2B ain't big boy football.

Yea WAY wrong again. There are many people who actually know who I am on here, don't hide it. Lol

Such a sad poster. Insults (wrong even then), yap yap yap, insults.

Im sorry Graham fans that this fella even identifies close to you fine fellas

Yea WAY wrong again. There are many people who actually know who I am on here, don't hide it. Lol

Such a sad poster. Insults (wrong even then), yap yap yap, insults.

Im sorry Graham fans that this fella even identifies close to you fine fellas
There is no place for thoae kind of responses on this board. Surprised he hasnt been blocked already. Folks on here have been blocked for similar posts in the past.

Word on street is your a very heavy man crowding up all the space in that Draft pressbox and eating up all the hotdogs. Peeps at Riverheads said you were pushing 400 and your a@@ looked like two bulldogs fist-fightin in a duffle bag. Time to call it a year Albert, it's bigboy football talk and 2B ain't big boy football.
What are you five years old? Man, you’re giving Graham fans a bad look on here , if you are in fact a Graham fan and played there. I have my doubts. Adults can banter about football without being disrespectful.

I have been an Appo supporter for many years but haven't posted for quite some time. However here is one perspective on our Raiders and yesterday's game.

For starters Graham has great athletes: Clement, Bradshaw and Meadows were as good as advertised especially the speed & quickness of the backs.At the end of the day a deeper more talented team won- period.
Regarding yesterday's game....we had opportunities and made some mistakes ..the fake punt was a player audible based on emotion..not situational rules . Regarding the kicks ...the kickoff before the first TD return by Bradshaw was a touchback on the 20. I think the next kick deep was in thinking we could do that again and in fact Bradshaw kinda reached to keep the ball from going in the end zone. The last kick to Bradshaw resulting in a TD probably shouldn't have happened but sometimes in the heat of battle you see things as they used to be in years past...very seldom have we kicked away from players although that was the game plan as I understand ( to kick away from Bradshaw).
The Graham defensive line played very well today and while our lineman gave all they had...our QB & offense struggled due to the pressure.
Being a rural 2A school..we have very little in the way of transferring athletes as some places. We have those ebbs/flows as most rural schools . Our 2015-2016 teams were off the chart in depth and talent...we've been dropping in depth ever since still winning 3 more state championships due to a mix of talent, coaching and hard work. But the lack of depth kinda caught up to us against a great team.
Another factor that we faced as did other repeat state contenders is the very short off session from 2020-2021 and having guys not have the time to heal before the next run. That issue is impactful to low depth teams. Not saying we were alone in this and not saying Graham wouldn't have been a better team if all their players were healthy...just stating our situation. Not an excuse just the status of Raider Football.
Hats off to Graham for the win and to their community. We know the feeling of community pride and Southwest Va. fans are energetic and faithful to their teams.

In closing I do have to say one thing that I don't want to seem like sour grapes or to sound like a negative against Graham fans because it's not a comment against them but the foul language used by some of the Graham staff during warmups and during the game is bad, is unnecessary and is not reflective of the diehard Southwest VA fans that I know. I'm not taking away from their win or trying to in anyway to "taint" your success. Good Luck next Saturday!

Reactions: 19GHS87 and Bo Bob
I have been an Appo supporter for many years but haven't posted for quite some time. However here is one perspective on our Raiders and yesterday's game.

For starters Graham has great athletes: Clement, Bradshaw and Meadows were as good as advertised especially the speed & quickness of the backs.At the end of the day a deeper more talented team won- period.
Regarding yesterday's game....we had opportunities and made some mistakes ..the fake punt was a player audible based on emotion..not situational rules . Regarding the kicks ...the kickoff before the first TD return by Bradshaw was a touchback on the 20. I think the next kick deep was in thinking we could do that again and in fact Bradshaw kinda reached to keep the ball from going in the end zone. The last kick to Bradshaw resulting in a TD probably shouldn't have happened but sometimes in the heat of battle you see things as they used to be in years past...very seldom have we kicked away from players although that was the game plan as I understand ( to kick away from Bradshaw).
The Graham defensive line played very well today and while our lineman gave all they had...our QB & offense struggled due to the pressure.
Being a rural 2A school..we have very little in the way of transferring athletes as some places. We have those ebbs/flows as most rural schools . Our 2015-2016 teams were off the chart in depth and talent...we've been dropping in depth ever since still winning 3 more state championships due to a mix of talent, coaching and hard work. But the lack of depth kinda caught up to us against a great team.
Another factor that we faced as did other repeat state contenders is the very short off session from 2020-2021 and having guys not have the time to heal before the next run. That issue is impactful to low depth teams. Not saying we were alone in this and not saying Graham wouldn't have been a better team if all their players were healthy...just stating our situation. Not an excuse just the status of Raider Football.
Hats off to Graham for the win and to their community. We know the feeling of community pride and Southwest Va. fans are energetic and faithful to their teams.

In closing I do have to say one thing that I don't want to seem like sour grapes or to sound like a negative against Graham fans because it's not a comment against them but the foul language used by some of the Graham staff during warmups and during the game is bad, is unnecessary and is not reflective of the diehard Southwest VA fans that I know. I'm not taking away from their win or trying to in anyway to "taint" your success. Good Luck next Saturday!
I’ll second all of this.
Fake punt is a players call if he sees the defensive formation where he thinks it’s doable.
Kickoffs were meant to reach end zone of go to the other side of the field.

I posted some on the SWVA forum concerning a couple players behaviors towards a few of our fans (although these fans ask for it). Everyone has those fans. Lol

As far as the language comment here…

I will add that my son who played for the Raiders and graduate last year was on the Graham sideline when one of our kids was down over there. His comment to me last night when he got home was that he could believe the language being thrown around over there and the amount of F-bombs he heard just in his few minutes over there until our boy got up.

He said, “ if that would have happened on our sideline Coach Smith would have run us till we puked on Monday”.

Reactions: oldfool2
Graham ran for 356 yds. That's the most given up by Appo since the run started in 15 including the big losses to Heritsge , lots of passing yards with Htage. Appo had around 150 running against Graham.
Theres no comparing the 2021 Raiders to 15-16 teams we had. Different group of kids them groups would have IMO ran through this Graham team like a Locomotive. Not taking nothing away from this years Graham them but the whole roster was stacked them 15-17 years. Like I said, different kids come and go and you gotta make the best of what you got and to see this years Appo team go as deep as they did my hats are off to them. Gave G-Men a heck of a fight for awhile but the ground and pound G-Men had going definitely took the toll on them Raiders. They played smart by staying on the ground and not going to the air cause I do believe they knew we had a tough secondary and didn't wanna throw no INTs.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigWinners
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT