ADVERTISEMENT

Gretna???

Bo Bob

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 1, 2016
Was anyone at this game to see what happened with it being son close?

I was at Glenvar, but 3 people told me late last night that, "Gretna didn't come to play and got out coached".

Reactions: Bo Bob
I was at Glenvar, but 3 people told me late last night that, "Gretna didn't come to play and got out coached".
Hate to say it as i have watched gretna since the vic hall and horrace hubbard days and i believe last nights win was the final for this year.Gretna has mightly struggled against the last two oppements whom they should have destroyed and were lucky to win both games.. Glenvar and radford had no problem with Floyd county during the regular season and both games were actually a blow out.That said,the hawks have had a good season along with a district tittle however as much as i hate to say it the dream comes to a end next friday Hope im wrong but dont beleve so.........

Well I am not throwing in the towel yet utkrazy. I have also followed and watched Gretna football since the Hall era. This team in my opinion has as many as if not more skill players than any Gretna team since then and has a backup QB that is arguably a better passer than the starter. They played arguably their worst game of the season against a Floyd team that would not give up and still got the win. If they play to their potential, Glenvar will get a heavy dose of quickness that is hard to defend and will not be beatable.

I saw Glenvar play Appo last year in the playoffs and with a minute to go have multiple shots in the redzone to win the game. It was a heck of a game with a very memorable 99 yard TD run by Pennix at a time when it looked like the momentum had shifted in Glenvar's favor. Glenvar's QB(I assume he is still there) makes a regulation size football look like a nerf ball in his hands. So I expect a well coached team that is going to be a hard out but the Hawks have the talent. The question is can the Hawks staff utilize arguably one of the quickest teams in the state.

The situation Gretna is in now is what makes football such a great sport in my opinion. It is an opportunity to respond to adversity when you have been counted out. Appo...a perfect example. After a 56-16 loss to none other than a small 1A somewhat recently unsuccessful Altavista team, Appo is the team that no one wants to play now.
Gotta love the game of high school football which gives the participants the grit to take on what life can and will throw your way.

Yes regular season scores make it look like Gretna is the underdog here. But here me out if the offense clicks like it is capable and the defense backs them up....which is what they did in the first half without the offense responding against Floyd..... then the Hawks win. GO HAWKS!

Last edited:
Gretna is just getting started. They may lose to Glenvar, but what we are seeing with Gretna is circa 2013-14 with Appo. I'm not saying Gretna wins 5 titles in the next 10 years, but I'm saying we are about to see a program blow up. With the new coach, enthusiasm and interest from the kids in the county, what we are seeing with Gretna is the transition into an elite top 5 type Class 2 program that is very close. It's not there this year. It's good, but 1 to 2 years away at most. Gretna may lose to Glenvar, but if you look at it from what Gretna is about to do over the next 7 or 8 years....it's about to win big.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Will Gretna/Glenvar be played on Friday or Saturday? I’ve seen the Saturday on MaxPreps but you can’t always go off of that.

Gretna is just getting started. They may lose to Glenvar, but what we are seeing with Gretna is circa 2013-14 with Appo. I'm not saying Gretna wins 5 titles in the next 10 years, but I'm saying we are about to see a program blow up. With the new coach, enthusiasm and interest from the kids in the county, what we are seeing with Gretna is the transition into an elite top 5 type Class 2 program that is very close. It's not there this year. It's good, but 1 to 2 years away at most. Gretna may lose to Glenvar, but if you look at it from what Gretna is about to do over the next 7 or 8 years....it's about to win big.
Hope you right as i pull for Gretna the majority of the time,however i have to mention Gretna is very senior laden team this year.Next year are gonna be fairly young but do have a 10th grade qb that is really good .........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT