Championship - March 9, at VCU
Central (Wise) 45, Martinsville 29

Last edited:
Ridgeview vs Nottoway
George Mason vs Martinsville
Stuarts Draft vs Floyd County
Central Wise vs East Rockingham

Some great matchups!

Anyone know anything about George Mason?
They run a lot of sets with stagger screens and pick and roll. They are very methodical on offense. They have a really fast PG (Bloomgarden) who doesn't have the best shot but plays with energy and has some wheels on her. Their coach does a good job of adjusting to the game. He will mix his defenses up. They seem to play a lot of close games because of their style.

I think GM and Martinsville will be a good match up. Martinsville have two studs (Turner and Mitchell) on the roster. If they can get decent support from their roll players then it's a plus.

Reactions: VAHoops1
My sleeper pick is Nottoway ( my high school). They made to State Quarterfinals last year and lost. Most of the team returned wiser and more determined this year. They play good defense, control tempo and can run if needed. Team to watch.

Nottoway 53 - Ridgeway 51 Final. Nottoway on to the State Semi-Finals.

Ridgeview my friend. LoL
Magna Vista is from Ridgeway :)

Congrats. I hope my Lady Dawgs make it, to be your opponent in the semis.

Congrats. I hope my Lady Dawgs make it, to be your opponent in the semis.
Well it is Martinsville vs Nottoway. We played each other a long time ago in Football (1988) and you'll beat our butts. Let's hope the ladies give us a great game.

I remember that game. My cousin was the starting RB in that championship game. That's been many years ago though. Different sport, different gender. Hopefully MHS can go 2-0 against Nottaway :)

I remember that game. My cousin was the starting RB in that championship game. That's been many years ago though. Different sport, different gender. Hopefully MHS can go 2-0 against Nottaway :)
Got to pull for the Cougars tomorrow!! ;-_

I remember that name.
I think he ran all over us back then. We had a better team in 1990 that lost to Rustburg 7 to 6 in the last 15 seconds of the State Championship game. Then in 1991 we put it all together and beat Jefferson Forest 28 -12 (Anthony Poindexter of UVA was the qb on those teams).

I was at that game as well. HamptonRoads6 would cringe at the location of that state championship. Tiny, outdated even by 1988 standards, Joe Golubic Stadium in Crewe was packed out for that 28-0 Bulldog win. I can recall that Gerard wore #24.

Reactions: AntGZee
I was at that game as well. HamptonRoads6 would cringe at the location of that state championship. Tiny, outdated even by 1988 standards, Joe Golubic Stadium in Crewe was packed out for that 28-0 Bulldog win. I can recall that Gerard wore #24.
Hey now! Don't talk to bad about the Rock. We won alot of football games there. They built a new stadium when the new high school was built in the early 90's.

Hey now! Don't talk to bad about the Rock. We won alot of football games there. They built a new stadium when the new high school was built in the early 90's.
Football field was regulation size. That was where the game was played.

Question for you: Who were the 2 1,000 yard rushers on the 1986 team that Tazewell beat in the state semi-finals that year. When we played them in the finals, the sprinklers came on 15 minutes before the game and watered down a dry field. Our home folks always felt that was on purpose, of course no proof. I don't think Tazewell beats us on a dry field.

I remember that oh too well. Dry field the Dawgs win that, no doubt about it.

Question for you: Who were the 2 1,000 yard rushers on the 1986 team that Tazewell beat in the state semi-finals that year. When we played them in the finals, the sprinklers came on 15 minutes before the game and watered down a dry field. Our home folks always felt that was on purpose, of course no proof. I don't think Tazewell beats us on a dry field.
I remember that oh too well. Dry field the Dawgs win that, no doubt about it.
Dry field and it would have been Nottoway vs Martinsville (Not Tazewell) in 1986 State Championship game.

As for the Bulldogs backfield, I'm assuming that you mean QB Tony Scales, who went on to set several D1-AA records at VMI and Charles "Poodle" Millner at tailback.

As for the Bulldogs backfield, I'm assuming that you mean QB Tony Scales, who went on to set several D1-AA records at VMI and Charles "Poodle" Millner at tailback.
I was wondering as I was reading a article on the Tazewell 1986 team. That championship game is still a sore spot on many Cougar fans heels 30 years later. We had speed on speed on that team and Tazewell might not have been able to deal with on a dry field.

What happened to your girls in the Championship game? Martinsville shutdown our front court very well and Wise schooled them? What happened?

Wise was just a better team in that championship game. Congrats to Wise. No excuses here my friend.

Wise was just a better team in that championship game. Congrats to Wise. No excuses here my friend.
Just a bad shooting day or just got outplayed. Martinsville beat our butts on the baseline. Paige could not score. If she got her usual 8 to 10, might have been different score, but we will never know. Wanted y'll to win after beating us.

Wise outplayed Martinsville in the 2nd half. The lil PG is the real deal.

ADVERTISEMENT