ADVERTISEMENT

GW Danville Observation

Well said. Va was bananas with having talent back in the 90s. I would include George Lynch and Joe Smith.
You guys are right on the edge(really late 80's) with some of those guys like Lynch and Alonzo but, the point is valid Virginia high school basketball has been good for a very long time with a lot of really big names dating back to the days of Moses Malone and before. You put Mourning, Ralph, Alonzo, JR Reid, etc. with the forwards and guards from this state and the list could be discussed for hours. The Bulldogs with the days of Tony Dallas, etc. have a long history as well. To tie it in to this most recent post one of the best GW teams of all time was a victim to that PH team that took out Indian River and Alonzo Mourning. Another interesting debate is a hypothetical game between all time greats from the states of Virginia and North Carolina. There are lots of names on both sides that could be thrown in the mix but as a conversation starter. Virginia trots out Moses Malone at center, Ralph at the 4, Grant Hill at the 3, with Iverson at the point and take your pick at the 2(point being that even with the four mentioned there are still a large number of guys who could be in the five). North Carolina counters with a smaller line up of James Worthy, Buck Williams, Dominique Wilkins, David Thompson, and Michael Jordan but, again there are plenty of other candidates to put in the 5.

I was gonna mention Tony Dallas, he was early to mid 80's. He was a dude that I looked up to. Had he not broken his leg at Va Union; he would have had a long career in the NBA. Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
You guys are right on the edge(really late 80's) with some of those guys like Lynch and Alonzo but, the point is valid Virginia high school basketball has been good for a very long time with a lot of really big names dating back to the days of Moses Malone and before. You put Mourning, Ralph, Alonzo, JR Reid, etc. with the forwards and guards from this state and the list could be discussed for hours. The Bulldogs with the days of Tony Dallas, etc. have a long history as well. To tie it in to this most recent post one of the best GW teams of all time was a victim to that PH team that took out Indian River and Alonzo Mourning. Another interesting debate is a hypothetical game between all time greats from the states of Virginia and North Carolina. There are lots of names on both sides that could be thrown in the mix but as a conversation starter. Virginia trots out Moses Malone at center, Ralph at the 4, Grant Hill at the 3, with Iverson at the point and take your pick at the 2(point being that even with the four mentioned there are still a large number of guys who could be in the five). North Carolina counters with a smaller line up of James Worthy, Buck Williams, Dominique Wilkins, David Thompson, and Michael Jordan but, again there are plenty of other candidates to put in the 5.

I have had tht arguement so many times... if we are just going starting 5 i'd give the edge to VA minus MJ on carolina. With MJ on NC I just don't know anymore.

I do think if it was a roster of 12-15 carolina would win as I think there 6-12 would be better than ours.

Most states could not beat VA though... NC maybe the exception.

Now if we got to count DC as (VA) that would add kevin durant to our starting 5. In that case I'll take the va starting 5 against any state out there!

I have had tht arguement so many times... if we are just going starting 5 i'd give the edge to VA minus MJ on carolina. With MJ on NC I just don't know anymore.

I do think if it was a roster of 12-15 carolina would win as I think there 6-12 would be better than ours.

Most states could not beat VA though... NC maybe the exception.

Now if we got to count DC as (VA) that would add kevin durant to our starting 5. In that case I'll take the va starting 5 against any state out there!
Makes for a very lively debate over a few beers but, DC would alter the debate. Here are 12 man rosters, just my opinion, for each state. Virginia- Moses Malone, Ralph Sampson, David Robinson, Jerome Kersey, Bobby Dandridge, Grant Hill, Johnny Newman, Dell Curry, George Lynch and JJ Redick. North Carolina- Chris Paul, Steph Curry, Michael Jordan, James Worthy, Dominique Wilkins, David Thompson, Cedric Maxwell, Bobby Jones, Tracy McGrady, Buck Williams, Bob McAdoo, Brad Daugherty. I am sure others could offer substitutes/debate on the 12 with so many names from each state. Pure coincidence but, last time I looked Virginia had 113 guys who had played in NBA and North Carolina had 117 I believe.

Add Richard Morgan out of Salem and Kevin Madden from Staunton to the Va list.

Makes for a very lively debate over a few beers but, DC would alter the debate. Here are 12 man rosters, just my opinion, for each state. Virginia- Moses Malone, Ralph Sampson, David Robinson, Jerome Kersey, Bobby Dandridge, Grant Hill, Johnny Newman, Dell Curry, George Lynch and JJ Redick. North Carolina- Chris Paul, Steph Curry, Michael Jordan, James Worthy, Dominique Wilkins, David Thompson, Cedric Maxwell, Bobby Jones, Tracy McGrady, Buck Williams, Bob McAdoo, Brad Daugherty. I am sure others could offer substitutes/debate on the 12 with so many names from each state. Pure coincidence but, last time I looked Virginia had 113 guys who had played in NBA and North Carolina had 117 I believe.

You only named 10 for Va.. I'm sure you meant to have Iverson and who else? Wow I forgot about David Robinson. What a trio of big men.

Stackhouse was from NC too but I am not sure he would make the 12 man roster for NC.

That would be a hell of a game!

You only named 10 for Va.. I'm sure you meant to have Iverson and who else? Wow I forgot about David Robinson. What a trio of big men.

Stackhouse was from NC too but I am not sure he would make the 12 man roster for NC.

That would be a hell of a game!
Brain got ahead of fingers. Allen Iverson and Gerald Henderson were the two inadvertently left off. The further you go in a 12 man roster the more heated the debate as to who might be the best substitutes but, lots of great players in both states. Plenty of other variables as well make the argument one that needs clearly defining. Based solely on high school stats or entire high school, college, and pro career? Depending what somebody chooses the answers could be different.

Add Richard Morgan out of Salem and Kevin Madden from Staunton to the Va list.
Certainly would get consideration depending upon how players were evaluated(i.e., solely high school career or entire high school, college and pro). Madden and Morgan and many others had great high school careers that tailed off as they advanced to higher levels(college and/or pro).

Reactions: AntGZee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT