ADVERTISEMENT

GW vs Grundy State Semifinals

G MASTER BLASTER W

VaPreps All District
Aug 30, 2012
What's everyone's thoughts going into this one next week? GW is definitely looking for revenge one week from today but have we improved enough to stop The Golden Wave? Both teams are playing their best ball at the right time and when it counts most.

Obviously you know GW very well, but I'm curious if maybe GW was overconfident in that first game and Grundy just smacked them in the mouth and they didn't expect it. I'm thinking playing them already might benefit GW because now they know what to expect. Regardless, I think it's going to be a really good game and it's nice to have a C/D state semifinal where it could go either way

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
Obviously you know GW very well, but I'm curious if maybe GW was overconfident in that first game and Grundy just smacked them in the mouth and they didn't expect it. I'm thinking playing them already might benefit GW because now they know what to expect. Regardless, I think it's going to be a really good game and it's nice to have a C/D state semifinal where it could go either way
Can C/D play with A/B ?

That's exactly what I think happened in the 1st game GW went in thinking this was a gimmie game and it wasn't. Plus GW was banged up going in so that played a small factor. But mainly GW was cocky and it bit them this time I think GW is a different type of beast for Grundy. Things seem to be clicking at the right time.

Can C/D play with A/B ?
On paper absolutely not but anything can happen. Everyone knows I do not pick against GW no matter what. But I've made it clear from go this season that Essex was the team to beat and I also predicted that they would beat GW in the State championship game. Now both teams have one more game before that matters but if you really look at the teams left C/D are playing from 21 behind already.

Reactions: Mike777VSP
Essex is legit and has to be favored and rightfully so. IF Riverheads wins it would be an upset based on just how dominant this Trojans team is. No doubt it should be an intense game that may very well be one of their best matchups so far.

I feel that GW should be favored in that matchup and is the team that could cool off that Grundy rushing attack. Look for a much different game than the first one and probably not that close if they can get it rolling. Fair amount of speed for the Maroons which could be more of a problem this time around.

It’s going to comes down to a couple of things. Essex has only had 50 some points scored in them all year. GW has more talent than they had in the previous years. For me it’s going to come down to coaching. Essex had all the talent in the world in 15 and got out coached big time. GW coaching that has been suspect for years especially in big games seems to be much improved this year although you can still see the stupidity come out to many times a game .

Riverheads current coaching so far in big games is 0 and 1. We will see how good they are this week . Although I am taking RH over Essex just because of the culture of winning that has been established .

I will be pulling for GW if they make it because that what local teams should do for each other .good luck to all 4 teams left . It’s been a long time since my team wasn’t playing in the final 4

It’s going to comes down to a couple of things. Essex has only had 50 some points scored in them all year. GW has more talent than they had in the previous years. For me it’s going to come down to coaching. Essex had all the talent in the world in 15 and got out coached big time. GW coaching that has been suspect for years especially in big games seems to be much improved this year although you can still see the stupidity come out to many times a game .

Riverheads current coaching so far in big games is 0 and 1. We will see how good they are this week . Although I am taking RH over Essex just because of the culture of winning that has been established .

I will be pulling for GW if they make it because that what local teams should do for each other .good luck to all 4 teams left . It’s been a long time since my team wasn’t playing in the final 4
0-1 in big games? If youre referring to LB that wasnt a big game, it was non-district so it didnt matter what happened. There big games were Gap, Wilson, Staunton, and Draft for the district championship. Then Sussex last week and CL this week. Also the LB game the 1A player of the year from last year got injured on the 2nd series and never came back. So he is 6-0 in games that matter.

Rewatching the first matchup between these two and GW looked like a different team today. When they are clicking like they were today, they are impressive.

Grundy is a grind you in the ground type team and I love that style of football.

That is going to be awesome matchup. Good luck to both those teams and I hope the game is as good as it looks on paper.

0-1 in big games? If youre referring to LB that wasnt a big game, it was non-district so it didnt matter what happened. There big games were Gap, Wilson, Staunton, and Draft for the district championship. Then Sussex last week and CL this week. Also the LB game the 1A player of the year from last year got injured on the 2nd series and never came back. So he is 6-0 in games that matter.
Lol, so a national record win streak on the line against LB wasn’t a big game? Lol that’s hilarious. Also it doesn’t matter who was hurt or wasn’t it is still and L. Then other games you speak of was not considered BIG games and The heads were fully expected to win those. But what ever gets you through man.

Lol, so a national record win streak on the line against LB wasn’t a big game? Lol that’s hilarious. Also it doesn’t matter who was hurt or wasn’t it is still and L. Then other games you speak of was not considered BIG games and The heads were fully expected to win those. But what ever gets you through man.
I can promise you a state championship or district championship is more important than a national win streak that doesnt get you a damn thing.

Reactions: Bama1985
W
I can promise you a state championship or district championship is more important than a national win streak that doesnt get you a damn thing.
You promise whatever you want, it still doesn’t change the laughable statement you made that the LB game with the record on The line wasn’t a big game. No sense in getting butthurt over it , it was just a statement . It was not throwing shade at RH just a statement .Chill

Last edited:
I think it will come down to one thing in the Essex/RHS game, which team can impose their will. My son just purchased a home behind the high school and my grandson will be a Gladiator and not a Blue, he is 2 years old so I don’t have a dog in this fight…

I have watched RHS in person 3 times this year and Essex online several times, they are both the cream of the crop! Even online the speed at which Essex plays just stands out, TREMENDOUSLY, they fly to the football and when they get there they bring it. They are the epitome of what it means to play as a team, as is Riverheads.

If Essex can contain Triple C and stop what you know is coming, downhill smash mouth football, play after play after play after play after play and then he gets a seam and is gone, then it could get ugly. Riverheads is not a play from behind team. If its a shootout anything can happen and if it comes down to that type of game then in my mind its the old saying, whoever has the ball last will win.

I’ve seen GW play, they are a well balanced team that can impose their will as well, I have not watched Grundy this year and only know what I have read on these blogs, in my mind I too agree that the winner of Essex/RHS has a leg up on winning it all, but just as I listened to all the talking heads on Gameday yesterday that Michigan had ZERO chance of beating OSU, anything can happen on any given Friday (Saturday).

It’s going to be fun to watch, good luck to all the teams left and I pray that those kids appreciate that they can play this game in front of a “full house” and not a sparse crowd like in the past couple of years and I pray they all are safe and leave it all out on the field.

GO BLUE!

In the summer you can walk the streets of downtown Greenville and it's hard to find a young man that does not have 4 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS ! LMAO
And they all have asterisks beside them in the record books. The fact Riverheads tried to play down took ALL their credibility away.

Computer prediction that was posted on SWVA board .

Riverheads 35, Essex 28. 65% chance for Riverheads of winning.

George Wythe 31, Grundy 27. 60% chance for Wytheville winning.

Hypothetical matchup- Riverheads 40, Wytheville 24, 86% chance of Riverheads winning.

And they all have asterisks beside them in the record books. The fact Riverheads tried to play down took ALL their credibility away.
You are just one of many Riverheads Haters. Love to see the bitterness come out as the Red Team marches Again ! Not one team in the state is able to compare to the success of the Gladiators . Hope you can't sleep for the next couple weeks , worried about them getting another Ring ! Love It !

W

You promise whatever you want, it still doesn’t change the laughable statement you made that the LB game with the record on The line wasn’t a big game. No sense in getting butthurt over it , it was just a statement . It was not throwing shade at RH just a statement .Chill
Not Butthurt but you doggin the coach saying he is 0-1 in big games. There were far bigger games that meant a heck of a lot more than the LB game that he is undefeated in.

Rewatching the first matchup between these two and GW looked like a different team today. When they are clicking like they were today, they are impressive.

Grundy is a grind you in the ground type team and I love that style of football.

That is going to be awesome matchup. Good luck to both those teams and I hope the game is as good as it looks on paper.
GW is a different team right now at times they've been completely pitiful at times. Example (Grundy) GW was out of place the entire game not once was it a team effort on D. So the RB from Grundy has 1 on 1 most of the night and if you haven't seen that kid he is impressive! I can think of 3 kids in 1A that could handle him head up CCC, Kam Robinson and Colton Green. So Grundy just kinda let Colton do his thing and ran away from him and it worked. GW was also banged up in that game that's not me taking anything away from them. Grundy was the better team that night hands down but GW has improved and we've gotten healthy at the right time. And GW has dominated at times example second Grayson game I've watched them improve week after week. And I can tell you these boys are ready as said before this is a team capable of imposing it's will if we're clicking.

Now yes I'll be the 1st to admit GW and Grundy both should be the underdog against RH or Essex. And either might get blown out but that won't stop these 2 from showing up and trying to make the opponent earn a title. And either way I'll be in Salem to witness no matter who wins it all. Essex in my mind should be favored against all 3 other teams but I highly doubt any of them will take it laying down. In any case we're the lucky ones who should get to see 2 very well matched games on Saturday. I truly believe the best team from each region is still alive and competing to be the best. Good luck to all 4 and hopefully we get a final with no injuries or bs just good hard hitting football.

Battle for silver in my opinion.. Riverheads is just too strong of a strong team and program. I think Grundy would have the better chance between the two. Either way.. Ill have to go check this game and the champ game out.

Not Butthurt but you doggin the coach saying he is 0-1 in big games. There were far bigger games that meant a heck of a lot more than the LB game that he is undefeated in.
It’s not dogging him at all,no where in any shape or form did I say anything bad about him. it was a statement of fact.

Battle for silver in my opinion.. Riverheads is just too strong of a strong team and program. I think Grundy would have the better chance between the two. Either way.. Ill have to go check this game and the champ game out.
All 4 of the teams left have a legit shot and it’s presumptuous to say the C/D representative will play Riverheads. Essex is as good as it gets with speed literally everywhere. As a fan I am hopeful Riverheads wins but frankly I want to see Grundy. Since we haven’t been able to beat them on the wrestling mat, I would like to see us play them in football. Maybe we can beat them there…..

For the record I really like GW too. Have came to see them several times since 2015.

IMO this year the four best teams made it to this weekend. It will take a good game from the winners of each side of this to advance.

The Fat Guy running the the big red ship has been around for a lot of big games . As far back as the Ice Age from what I hear .

Reactions: TS69
But its not a fact. You said 0-1 in big games. He has had quite a few big games this season.
None of those games was a legit concern for Riverheads . No other team was within 4 tds of Riverheads . Everyone knows that. That is a statement to the team and culture of the program, it is not a knock!!
The LB game was the biggest game of the year and for the new coaching leadership by far especially with the nations longest win streak on the line , to say it wasn’t a big game is laughable at best. You can have a different view and that’s fine but don’t get butthurt when others don’t have the same opinion. The fact is it was the biggest challenge for Riverheads since the game against LB last year .

You are just one of many Riverheads Haters. Love to see the bitterness come out as the Red Team marches Again ! Not one team in the state is able to compare to the success of the Gladiators . Hope you can't sleep for the next couple weeks , worried about them getting another Ring ! Love It !
Actually most RH posters in here are great , just giving you hell because you are an arrogant A$$. I don’t have the dog in this fight so I don’t care how they end up, my team is in 2A you know the division where the heads belong. We will see how that cockiness works for you next year there buttercup. Although I’ll give your admin credit for keeping I. 1A as long as they have. The appeal to play down just solidified everyone’s thoughts through the years. Good luck to the asterisk warriors from here on out.

What panzy 2a team do you follow ? What to make sure we can jaw all season next year . lol Don't mean to get under your skin but I can so I will . All in fun , God Loves You my friend !

None of those games was a legit concern for Riverheads . No other team was within 4 tds of Riverheads . Everyone knows that. That is a statement to the team and culture of the program, it is not a knock!!
The LB game was the biggest game of the year and for the new coaching leadership by far especially with the nations longest win streak on the line , to say it wasn’t a big game is laughable at best. You can have a different view and that’s fine but don’t get butthurt when others don’t have the same opinion. The fact is it was the biggest challenge for Riverheads since the game against LB last year .
I can promise you the coaching staff would beg to differ. Even said so on the radio broadcast.

Reactions: Bama1985
All 4 of the teams left have a legit shot and it’s presumptuous to say the C/D representative will play Riverheads. Essex is as good as it gets with speed literally everywhere. As a fan I am hopeful Riverheads wins but frankly I want to see Grundy. Since we haven’t been able to beat them on the wrestling mat, I would like to see us play them in football. Maybe we can beat them there…..

For the record I really like GW too. Have came to see them several times since 2015.

IMO this year the four best teams made it to this weekend. It will take a good game from the winners of each side of this to advance.
Don't feel bad about not being able to beat them on the mat. Basically no one can unless you're RR lol.

Don't feel bad about not being able to beat them on the mat. Basically no one can unless you're RR lol.
Oh I don’t feel bad, I am pissed we won’t get but one more shot on the mat at them. That’s the only part of moving to 2A that bothers me. I could care less which division we are in football. I want us to face the very best small school wrestling program in the state and bang with them year in and out. All due respect to the 2A teams across the state, Grundy is the under 750 student standard for the sport of wrestling and it’s not close.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT