ADVERTISEMENT

GW vs Grundy State Semifinals

None of those games was a legit concern for Riverheads . No other team was within 4 tds of Riverheads . Everyone knows that. That is a statement to the team and culture of the program, it is not a knock!!
The LB game was the biggest game of the year and for the new coaching leadership by far especially with the nations longest win streak on the line , to say it wasn’t a big game is laughable at best. You can have a different view and that’s fine but don’t get butthurt when others don’t have the same opinion. The fact is it was the biggest challenge for Riverheads since the game against LB last year .

No other team was within 4 TDs?

Tazewell 35-12 (23 points)

Buffalo Gap 27-7 (20 points) and from memory early in 4th quarter it was 13-7 and I believe I heard Gap driving.

Wilson 41-21 (20 points)

Stuarts Draft 35-13 (22 points) in a game that was a lot closer than the score.

No other team was within 4 TDs?

Tazewell 35-12 (23 points)

Buffalo Gap 27-7 (20 points) and from memory early in 4th quarter it was 13-7 and I believe I heard Gap driving.

Wilson 41-21 (20 points)

Stuarts Draft 35-13 (22 points) in a game that was a lot closer than the score.
Just proves my point, opti62 doesnt know what hes talking about.

C and D will be playing for second place more than likely, just don't see GW or Grundy beating the big red machine or Essex. GW and Grundy are very good football teams but I believe the other two are on a different level but personally I hope I'm wrong and the west can bring home the state championship. Good luck to all four and may the best team be victorious.

C and D will be playing for second place more than likely, just don't see GW or Grundy beating the big red machine or Essex. GW and Grundy are very good football teams but I believe the other two are on a different level but personally I hope I'm wrong and the west can bring home the state championship. Good luck to all four and may the best team be victorious.
I think yall would match up better against RH than you would against Essex. I would say talent wise not much difference in GW, Grundy, or RH. Essex is on a whole different level speed wise.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Computer prediction that was posted on SWVA board .

Riverheads 35, Essex 28. 65% chance for Riverheads of winning.

George Wythe 31, Grundy 27. 60% chance for Wytheville winning.

Hypothetical matchup- Riverheads 40, Wytheville 24, 86% chance of Riverheads winning.
That sounds about right, although I don't figure Riverheads-GW will be that close, no disrespect to the Maroons.

You do realize Grundy beat GW in October by 14 and had their way with the Tide on the ground. Not saying GW doesn't win the rematch, but to say a team will win easily after they got beat fairly easily the first matchup doesn't make much sense
GW isn't playing the same level of football they did 6 weeks ago. Also, Galax is a shell of their previous teams.

Again......GW easily.

You do realize Grundy beat GW in October by 14 and had their way with the Tide on the ground. Not saying GW doesn't win the rematch, but to say a team will win easily after they got beat fairly easily the first matchup doesn't make much sense
They had 193 yards on the ground with 99 of those coming on one play at the end of the half.

I'm not sure what game you're referring to, but Grundy ran for over 400 yards against GW when they played the first time.
You said the Tide which is what Galax goes by not Grundy, if I'm not mistaken Grundy is the Golden Wave.

Last edited:
They have been successful in wrestling it seems like forever.

If you want to be successful in wrestling like Grundy you have to follow their model.

1. Build a wrestling club that has a youth program. Grundy has pre-schoolers on the mats,

2. Have community support and a good leader to take charge, like the Robertsons have for Grundy.

3. Seek out the best competition. Grundy flys to Reno, NV to participate in a tournament each year, among plenty of other big ones that are driving distance.

4. This one may be the toughest step, but when you’re ready to get serious about wrestling you need to fly to Iowa, find an all-American wrestler from arguably the best collegiate wrestling program in the country, then proceed to talk him into moving to VA to be your next head coach.

5. If that coach leaves to build up Christiansburg high school, then Virginia Tech, then Iowa State, you circle back to step 4. This time maybe you’ll find a guy that upset Randy Couture in the 1992 NCAA Championships like Travis Fiser did.

I was being silly there but in all seriousness, to have a successful sports program you have to have dedication top to the bottom with a great coach thrown in. When you go back to the 80’s until today I don’t know how you could find a program in Virginia that has been more dedicated to winning than Grundy Wrestling.

If you want to be successful in wrestling like Grundy you have to follow their model.

1. Build a wrestling club that has a youth program. Grundy has pre-schoolers on the mats,

2. Have community support and a good leader to take charge, like the Robertsons have for Grundy.

3. Seek out the best competition. Grundy flys to Reno, NV to participate in a tournament each year, among plenty of other big ones that are driving distance.

4. This one may be the toughest step, but when you’re ready to get serious about wrestling you need to fly to Iowa, find an all-American wrestler from arguably the best collegiate wrestling program in the country, then proceed to talk him into moving to VA to be your next head coach.

5. If that coach leaves to build up Christiansburg high school, then Virginia Tech, then Iowa State, you circle back to step 4. This time maybe you’ll find a guy that upset Randy Couture in the 1992 NCAA Championships like Travis Fiser did.

I was being silly there but in all seriousness, to have a successful sports program you have to have dedication top to the bottom with a great coach thrown in. When you go back to the 80’s until today I don’t know how you could find a program in Virginia that has been more dedicated to winning than Grundy Wrestling.
As an Iowan who was a VA transplant, I can attest to this. UVA and VT have very respectable wrestling programs with quite a bit of Iowa flavor. Hopefully those guys stick around VA and can be a driving force for youth/high school wrestling.

Just proves my point, opti62 doesnt know what hes talking about.
You get his point. RH took out their first string most of the time after first series second half , so yes 4 tds better . But it just proves the point that you are just a little flaky and get butthurt easy. Take it easy buttercup.

What does Galax have to do with the Grundy/GW game?
Actually, Galax might have influenced the original Grundy/GW game a lot. Originally, that was our bye week wedged between Graham and Galax. GW took the game after Bland cancelled. I'm not in the heads of our kids, but we very well may have been looking ahead. Grundy wasn't on ANYONE's radar at that point in time.

Add to that, our (at the time) #2 QB got injured early 2nd quarter and we went with QB3 the rest of the night. I know, I know....Grundy rushed for over 400 yards on us that night, and QB's don't stop opposing running games....But not in our case. Our QB1 (at the time) is also probably our best, most physical DB and our QB2 is our starting MLB. We've made the move since to elevate QB2 to QB1, but with those two back, we also get back two key pieces to our defense.

That's not to say Grundy can't beat us....They obviously can, and they deserve to be in the state semifinals. They'll be seeing a more healthy, more prepared, and more focused GW squad, though.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
You get his point. RH took out their first string most of the time after first series second half , so yes 4 tds better . But it just proves the point that you are just a little flaky and get butthurt easy. Take it easy buttercup.
Guess you didnt watch any RH games this year. You are totally wrong about them taking starters out. Anything else you want to debate that you dont know the facts on Einstein?

Actually, Galax might have influenced the original Grundy/GW game a lot. Originally, that was our bye week wedged between Graham and Galax. GW took the game after Bland cancelled. I'm not in the heads of our kids, but we very well may have been looking ahead. Grundy wasn't on ANYONE's radar at that point in time.

Add to that, our (at the time) #2 QB got injured early 2nd quarter and we went with QB3 the rest of the night. I know, I know....Grundy rushed for over 400 yards on us that night, and QB's don't stop opposing running games....But not in our case. Our QB1 (at the time) is also probably our best, most physical DB and our QB2 is our starting MLB. We've made the move since to elevate QB2 to QB1, but with those two back, we also get back two key pieces to our defense.

That's not to say Grundy can't beat us....They obviously can, and they deserve to be in the state semifinals. They'll be seeing a more healthy, more prepared, and more focused GW squad, though.
Boys, y’all from Wythe sure are cocky as shit for a team that was down 42-21 and gave up damn near 500 yards on the ground.

Reactions: Mike777VSP

It's always tough to beat a good team twice, which is why I picked GW tomorrow

@kwhs95fan you are spot on. Home field and second matchups are definitely tough when two good teams are involved. The counter to that is a strong run game and an exceptional defense. I feel Grundy has the run game but I am not sure the defense can stop GW this time around with all their weapons back.

It should be a very good game and the atmosphere should be electric in Wytheville. Good luck and safe travels to those attending

Boys, y’all from Wythe sure are cocky as shit for a team that was down 42-21 and gave up damn near 500 yards on the ground.
I'm not sure where me saying that we were missing key pieces last game, there'll be a better effort this time from us, and acknowledging that Grundy is still capable of beating us again is cocky. We know very well we are in for a dog fight.

But hey, if you believe you'll see the exact game you saw earlier, then maybe I'm not the one being cocky here. This game doesn't start at 42-21 or even 42-28......It starts at 0-0, and I can't wait for this one. I actually think it's gonna be a barn burner.

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
@kwhs95fan you are spot on. Home field and second matchups are definitely tough when two good teams are involved. The counter to that is a strong run game and an exceptional defense. I feel Grundy has the run game but I am not sure the defense can stop GW this time around with all their weapons back.

It should be a very good game and the atmosphere should be electric in Wytheville. Good luck and safe travels to those attending
If Grundy can go on time consuming drives, that will obviously keep the GW offense off the field. I really think this game could go either way, which is refreshing since in recent years Region C has had their way in the state semifinals

Reactions: gw_loyal
Guess you didnt watch any RH games this year. You are totally wrong about them taking starters out. Anything else you want to debate that you dont know the facts on Einstein?
Then I guess all the other RH fans are wrong as well as that is exactly what they are saying on the other board . Buttercup

Loyal and I don't agree on a lot when it comes to GW football. But he is 100% correct here no one is being cocky we all watched GW get it's ass beat I'm Grundy. But we are not wrong for saying GW is healthy now and we are not in any way the same team Grundy got on what was meant to be a by week the week before Galax.

Sure Grundy might come in and hang 60 on us and blow us completely out it's possible. But if I had to guess I'd say Grundy better strap up and come ready. This is a different type of beast I'm Wytheville now they are clicking and we are healthy. So if Grundy comes in and blows us out we have zero excuses and they truly are the better team overall. But for anyone who saw that game to say GW was full strength or anything close they are crazy. Jollay is the general of our D he makes sure everyone is in place and that the D is clicking. He wasn't on the field in Grundy we also had several other starters hurt or out. Now they are all back and we've also had other kids step up and make us even deeper. GW is rolling and should be favored in this game even with the loss to Grundy. GW is not even close to what Grundy saw weeks ago this GW team would beat that GW team by several tds easily.

Either way this should be a good game hopefully with no injuries or bs. Just good clean hard hitting football with the better team winning no matter who that may be. Good luck to all 4 teams still at play and safe travels to everyone who had to travel this Saturday.

Loyal and I don't agree on a lot when it comes to GW football. But he is 100% correct here no one is being cocky we all watched GW get it's ass beat I'm Grundy. But we are not wrong for saying GW is healthy now and we are not in any way the same team Grundy got on what was meant to be a by week the week before Galax.

Sure Grundy might come in and hang 60 on us and blow us completely out it's possible. But if I had to guess I'd say Grundy better strap up and come ready. This is a different type of beast I'm Wytheville now they are clicking and we are healthy. So if Grundy comes in and blows us out we have zero excuses and they truly are the better team overall. But for anyone who saw that game to say GW was full strength or anything close they are crazy. Jollay is the general of our D he makes sure everyone is in place and that the D is clicking. He wasn't on the field in Grundy we also had several other starters hurt or out. Now they are all back and we've also had other kids step up and make us even deeper. GW is rolling and should be favored in this game even with the loss to Grundy. GW is not even close to what Grundy saw weeks ago this GW team would beat that GW team by several tds easily.

Either way this should be a good game hopefully with no injuries or bs. Just good clean hard hitting football with the better team winning no matter who that may be. Good luck to all 4 teams still at play and safe travels to everyone who had to travel this Saturday.
I wouldn't say we disagree a lot....It's just that what we don't agree on, we really don't agree on 😂

At the end of the day, we are rooting for the same results, and we are always there, buddy 🍻

• Haha
Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
I wouldn't say we disagree a lot....It's just that what we don't agree on, we really don't agree on 😂

At the end of the day, we are rooting for the same results, and we are always there, buddy 🍻
On this I couldn't agree more lol and like you said either way we show up for GW. Hopefully we get a good game with GW clicking and showing what we're capable of.

Then I guess all the other RH fans are wrong as well as that is exactly what they are saying on the other board . Buttercup

Please reference the other RH fans Pinocchio, youre making crap up now because it never happened. Just admit that you dont have a clue about what youre talking about!! Im liking the Washing ton post you get 5 Pinocchios on that post.

Please reference the other RH fans Pinocchio, youre making crap up now because it never happened. Just admit that you dont have a clue about what youre talking about!! Im liking the Washing ton post you get 5 Pinocchios on that post.
There you go buttercup. Although you being a Washington readers speaks volumes about why you are so flaky.

I posted it for you . Not a fan of Psaki she wanted to keep circling back the new girl is just horrible
Guess reading comprehension isnt your strong suit. Nowhere in that post does it say RH pulls their starters after the 1st drive of the 2nd half, which is what you said, the post says they pull their starters when games are over at halftime which has only been a couple games this year. I attended most all the games and the only games I witnessed the starters getting pulled in the 3rd quarter was PM and it was almost the 4th quarter. We have had only a couple of games this year that I would consider over at halftime, running clock in the 3rd is what I consider over at halftime, yes in years past we would have quite a few every season but hasnt been the case this year.

Awesome, good luck today.
Just looked at the weather channel and it said rain ending by 10:45 in Wytheville so let's hope they're are right but the field will still be wet unless they have a tarp at GW. Not sure about Wytheville but it's raining pretty good in Galax right now

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT