ADVERTISEMENT

Halifax advances after 2 loss skid vs GW

This is going to continue to be a revolving discussion...now we're comparing NC schools to VA schools. I don't know how that came into the discussion. We play in Virginia, and the plan is to be the best in Virginia every year. It's nice to go to NC and get the exposure and to compete. I agree. All this talk about having half a season of out of district games wouldn't even be feasible with district play playing a home and away every season with 10 teams in a district and the regular season game limits.

We had this conversation on another thread about the system of player development, I'd like to think we agree there too. That discussion involved more than just the high schools and involved the greater community. No disagreement there either.

The movement of schools based on location again isn't the role of the people at these schools. It's the VHSL. I don't see a lot of that happening either.
My point of showing the NC schools in the videos above was to show the disparity in skill level in our area to even smaller schools in rural areas. These are small 2A schools and they pull from smaller communities than South Boston, Martinsville, Ridgeway, Bassett and none the less, Danville. Not comparing the teams. These kids aren’t working with those pro level trainers you spoke of the kids in the 757 and 804 working with. They’ve been coached up, developed and have reps against consistent competition.

My point of showing the NC schools in the videos above was to show the disparity in skill level in our area to even smaller schools in rural areas. These are small 2A schools and they pull from smaller communities than South Boston, Martinsville, Ridgeway, Bassett and none the less, Danville. Not comparing the teams. These kids aren’t working with those pro level trainers you spoke of the kids in the 757 and 804 working with. They’ve been coached up, developed and have reps against consistent competition.

I don't think the number of kids in a school determines how much talent is in it. To that point, Martinsville leads all time in state championship appearances in Virginia. Gate City was on the national scene a few years ago. So as I have been saying, there has to be a concerted effort to training, and the names of old aren't doing it anymore, there has to be more on board to step up to the development. What Reidsville does in NC has very little to no impact as to what goes on 15 minutes across the state lines in Danville.
I seem to think we are in agreement when it comes to development. You won't catch me comparing to other areas, each one is different. I've had the pleasure of being both the 434 and 757. I've never compared my experience in either. There are differences. I can tell you the differences. But it is all about the systems set up even before these kids reach high school. Each sports culture is different too. Only time will tell about the changes spoken. Those still involved have to build a coalition to lead it.

Last edited:
Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Durham is putting out some ballers they have several players playing d1 rite now and 1 just drafted to nba this past year .
Bull City Prep lost to IMG’s real team by 2 at the buzzer a few weeks ago in Richmond. Kids down there are real hoopers. Ricky Council IV (played at Southern Durham last year) just helped Wichita State upset #6 Houston the other night. Just a true freshman but that competition prepared him for the big stage.

Reactions: Playmaker915
The Seminole teams would welcome GW and Halifax with open arms. I don’t have much faith that the Danville administration would be open to that idea. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with the new Mecklenburg High School and where they’re placed. I’ve heard Piedmont. That’s a 2 hour drive to Stuart and 90 mile trek to Ridgeway and Bassett and that’s a minimum for the kids that live in Clarksville. Add another 30 minutes for the South Hill kids. They are much better off in the Central District with Dinwiddie, Petersburg, Colonial Heights, Hopewell, etc.

Dan River and Nelson County are in the Dogwood District and they are almost 100 miles apart one-way.

Magna Vista, Bassett, Martinsville, Tunstall, Chatham and Dan River in the Piedmont. Patrick County belongs in Floyd County’s district but they could stay in the Piedmont if push comes to shove.
If you redid the Piedmont District, you could go 8 teams with Dan River, Tunstall, Chatham, Gretna, Magna Vista, Martinsville, Bassett, and Patrick County.
Dogwood could be Altavista, William Campbell (even if those two consolidated, they would still be Dogwood), Rustburg, Brookville, Appomattox, Galileo (track, soccer only) and add in Buckingham and Randolph-Henry; I think Nelson County should go to the Shenandoah District (Buffalo Gap, Staunton, Riverheads, Fort Defiance, Stuarts Draft, and Wilson Memorial).

If you redid the Piedmont District, you could go 8 teams with Dan River, Tunstall, Chatham, Gretna, Magna Vista, Martinsville, Bassett, and Patrick County.
Dogwood could be Altavista, William Campbell (even if those two consolidated, they would still be Dogwood), Rustburg, Brookville, Appomattox, Galileo (track, soccer only) and add in Buckingham and Randolph-Henry; I think Nelson County should go to the Shenandoah District (Buffalo Gap, Staunton, Riverheads, Fort Defiance, Stuarts Draft, and Wilson Memorial).
What do we have to do to get you in charge of things? I couldn’t agree more!

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT