ADVERTISEMENT

Halifax advances after 2 loss skid vs GW

Sep 7, 2019
“Third Time’s the charm” rings true for the Comets as they get over the hump with a 72-58 win over the Eagles after losing to them twice last week. They’ll face Pulaski County this Wednesday.

Can anybody give an insight on the Cougars? I know they were the 8th seed last year and we beat them by around 30, but did they improve that much over the season?

Congrats and good luck to the Blue Comets. Definitely rooting for them to bring it home. S/o to Coach Parker as well. GW hasn’t been the GW of old with size and superior athleticism, but Parker has them fighting.

Reactions: Go_Cometss
Good luck To HC. Unfortunate to a have a loaded senior laden team to endure a season like this.
GW will be fine returning 4 starters for a hopeful normal season.

Reactions: Go_Cometss
Good luck To HC. Unfortunate to a have a loaded senior laden team to endure a season like this.
GW will be fine returning 4 starters for a hopeful normal season.
Hopefully we’ll get a couple of transfers in Danville too! GW should be a top 3 team next year.

Reactions: tommythecpa
Hopefully we’ll get a couple of transfers in Danville too! GW should be a top 3 team next year.
That sounds great. . One thing about GW is it has never hit the skids in basketball since the early 60s. I remember the then Cardinals were 8-10 around 1969 but beat Jefferson 45-35 in the first round of the WD tournament. I was at that game. GW football as won at least 4 games a year since 1964.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Top 3 in Piedmont district? Or va?
They’ll be a top 3 team in the state based on what they return and what everyone else in the West returns. Rankings mean absolutely nothing to me. They were ranked in 2019/2020 and I’m questioning Matt Hatfield on HOW after watching their play mid season? In order for GW to compete with King’s Fork or any high level team next year, it’ll have to be a lot of player development this summer. None of that running and gunning at a rinka dink AAU tournament where they’re not getting coached, but actually playing at some team camps (they’ll have plenty) and being developed and coached up. Chris Draper in Martinsville will get them right if they need a trainer. GW just doesn’t have the big/overly athletic guys in their program anymore.. They have to put a little more work in their games. I’d be crazy to say they are state championship contenders with King’s Fork bringing back 3 starters next year from last year’s state championship team (Epps will go to either Oak Hill or IMG). I’m hoping

Last edited:
Halifax and Pulaski was a lot more watchable today. Pulaski’s play by play guy must not be used to watching basketball. Halifax was down 6 in the third quarter and he had already placed Pulaski in the title game. I had never heard any dumb crap like that before.. The region is just lucky GW and Halifax had to play in round 1.

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
G.W, used to have some of the best players around. Saw them play in the regionals last year at Jefferson Forest. I was really suprised at their lack of athletic ability and their lack of outside shooting skills.

G.W, used to have some of the best players around. Saw them play in the regionals last year at Jefferson Forest. I was really suprised at their lack of athletic ability and their lack of outside shooting skills.
I agree with you 100%. High school basketball is down in the Southside as a whole. GW, Dan River, Halifax and Martinsville are the area’s premier teams but I think the biggest thing you get when you compare these teams to their elite teams of the past is the lack of size, athletic ability and skill level (Halifax does have a good variety of all 3). Very little player development is happening in our area and I think it says more about kids than the coaching. Too many distractions and not a lot of work being put in. Those guys who won the state championship at GW two years ago were coached up and played an exciting brand of basketball anchored by their defense. Those teams come too few and far between in our area.

Reactions: bowlingref
Piedmont District has been well represented since the reclassification in the final four.
Martinsville has 2 champions, GW has 1 state championship, Dan River has 1 state championship (Not Piedmont, but a common opponent), Magna Vista’s girls had 2 straight championship appearances. GW is basically a lock every year to make the state final 4. There’s talent in our area. Just have to find ways to maintain that level of ball.

Now if you talk about the girls GW program, change is needed somewhere and I'm not a big change person.

I don't understand the dichotomy here. How can basketball be way down but Piedmont teams are in the final four and/or winning championships. True teams can improve, players can improve, coaches can improve. But the Southside has been doing pretty good from my views here on the sidelines.

Reactions: tommythecpa
I don't understand the dichotomy here. How can basketball be way down but Piedmont teams are in the final four and/or winning championships. True teams can improve, players can improve, coaches can improve. But the Southside has been doing pretty good from my views here on the sidelines.
Currently it is down, big time, from where it was. I get GW made the state semi’s last year but you and I would both agree that it was not the GW team we are used to, even in down years. I cringed watching them and King’s Fork. Halifax made it as well but lost to a middle of the pack team in Millbrook (Woodrow beat them by 19, but it wasn’t even close), Martinsville has underachieved the past 3 years and they have struggled mightily against the SWVA teams. DR, my favorite to make the state championship in the west last year, got beat by a team they had no business in round 1. The level of play is not the same of the level of play it has been in the past. You and I both know of how good the area has been.. TO Fitzgerald to Mario Huffman/Chad Hardaway to Shaquan Beamer/Duron Mitchell to JC/Ridge/Nick Barbour to Darren White/Trey Edmunds/Paul Stone to Jarod/Mock Hairston/Ahmad to Devante Holland to Nyreek/Shunta.. Our area has CONSISTENTLY had some really high level ball, but if we’re being really honest, we don’t have anything close now on that level.. I think Rogers (Tunstall), Coles (Chatham), White (Dan River) and Roberts at Halifax can take that next step but I’m questioning the overall level of play in our area. Just my opinion and all due respect, it’s way down.

One reason for the teams making it as far they have is, Halifax and G.W. used to be in a lot higher classification than they are now. The teams that those two schools put on the floor are just a shadow of what they used to be. It's truly hard to believe that the mighty E.C. Glass is now playing in the district with Rustburg. I remember when Glass would send their J.V. football team to Rustburg and play the Varsity and beat them. Times have sure changed.

One reason for the teams making it as far they have is, Halifax and G.W. used to be in a lot higher classification than they are now. The teams that those two schools put on the floor are just a shadow of what they used to be. It's truly hard to believe that the mighty E.C. Glass is now playing in the district with Rustburg. I remember when Glass would send their J.V. football team to Rustburg and play the Varsity and beat them. Times have sure changed.
My point exact. GW used to play NC, 757, 804 and NoVA teams yearly in basketball and football. The first time I remember going to a GW game, they played #1 ranked in America, Mount Zion in basketball back when Tracy McGrady played. Ridge and JC played Oak Hill/Greensboro Day and those GW teams after them got those powerhouse William Fleming and Patrick Henry teams . They have no, zero business in a district with Patrick County, Tunstall, Bassett and Martinsville (one of the smallest 2A schools in VA). GW and Halifax beating up on Tunstall and Patrick does absolutely nothing but pad stats & make kids believe that they are better than they really are.

Schedule and district play is dictated by the area. GW and Halifax are 4A schools because of enrollment. District is because of geography. There's not much to be done about those things under the VHSL. Back in those other days...you had the ability to schedule those cross state and regional lines basketball games. If you could build a 4A district with the area, who would you build it with?

Schedule and district play is dictated by the area. GW and Halifax are 4A schools because of enrollment. District is because of geography. There's not much to be done about those things under the VHSL. Back in those other days...you had the ability to schedule those cross state and regional lines basketball games. If you could build a 4A district with the area, who would you build it with?
Great points. In a weaker district, I believe that your out of district has to be very strong. GW and Halifax are both geographically close to a lot of very good programs in NC. I remember the years that GW played nationally ranked RJ Reynolds out of Winston Salem, yearly. Also had some epic match ups with Reidsville (Holiday Shootout) and Dudley. Halifax and GW have both played Durham Hillside and Person County, two very competitive programs a short drive down the road. GW has no business playing Carlisle, Magna Vista, Holy Cross and Westover Christian or even inviting them to the Coach Harry Johnson Classic. Coach believed that in order to be the best, you had to play and beat the best. GW should at the very least be playing Cave Spring, Morehead (had a very very solid team the past 2 years) or Northern/Northeast Guilford (both 30 minute bus rides) and Person at minimum for out of district.

To answer your last question, GW and Halifax should be in the Seminole. Send Rustburg to the Dogwood, Dan River (Chatham as well) back to the Piedmont, and send Liberty Bedford to the Blue Ridge. Makes a lot of sense and a majority of the schools in the Seminole are actually closer for Halifax.

For the people who will say that each Seminole school is at least an hour bus drive or talk about finances, Danville has to get back to investing in their only athletic program in the city. Growing up, GW dominated everything in the WVD. The girls basketball program isn’t even a shell of itself anymore (those girls ran the WVD; sadly always ran into Forest Park or Princess Anne), I don’t know when the last time the baseball team has been good (GW was a top 5 team yearly in Triple A) and Optimist League is no more and you can tell when watching GW football. No more standing room only city league youth basketball games or seeing what kid dropped 20 points in the Danville Register and Bee. Danville has dropped the ball on the kids. I believe the County has picked some things up, but it’s nothing like city league that helped open the door for A LOT of boys and girls to be successful in the Blue and Silver.

Great points. In a weaker district, I believe that your out of district has to be very strong. GW and Halifax are both geographically close to a lot of very good programs in NC. I remember the years that GW played nationally ranked RJ Reynolds out of Winston Salem, yearly. Also had some epic match ups with Reidsville (Holiday Shootout) and Dudley. Halifax and GW have both played Durham Hillside and Person County, two very competitive programs a short drive down the road. GW has no business playing Carlisle, Magna Vista, Holy Cross and Westover Christian or even inviting them to the Coach Harry Johnson Classic. Coach believed that in order to be the best, you had to play and beat the best. GW should at the very least be playing Cave Spring, Morehead (had a very very solid team the past 2 years) or Northern/Northeast Guilford (both 30 minute bus rides) and Person at minimum for out of district.

To answer your last question, GW and Halifax should be in the Seminole. Send Rustburg to the Dogwood, Dan River (Chatham as well) back to the Piedmont, and send Liberty Bedford to the Blue Ridge. Makes a lot of sense and a majority of the schools in the Seminole are actually closer for Halifax.

For the people who will say that each Seminole school is at least an hour bus drive or talk about finances, Danville has to get back to investing in their only athletic program in the city. Growing up, GW dominated everything in the WVD. The girls basketball program isn’t even a shell of itself anymore (those girls ran the WVD; sadly always ran into Forest Park or Princess Anne), I don’t know when the last time the baseball team has been good (GW was a top 5 team yearly in Triple A) and Optimist League is no more and you can tell when watching GW football. No more standing room only city league youth basketball games or seeing what kid dropped 20 points in the Danville Register and Bee. Danville has dropped the ball on the kids. I believe the County has picked some things up, but it’s nothing like city league that helped open the door for A LOT of boys and girls to be successful in the Blue and Silver.
Reidsville, South granville, Leesville rd, Millbrook, Greensboro day, Ben Smith have had some really good teams over last several years.

Great point about G.W. and Halifax going to the Seminole and Rustburg moving the Dogwood. No way Rustburg should be in the same district as Glass and J/F. The VHSL will be coming up on their new cycle to make changes soon. Will be interesting to see how they change things around.

Page won the Greensboro conference this year I believe
NC ball is always a lot more competitive than Virginia ball if you ask me. Check out Farmville Central if you get a chance out of Greenville. Saw them play Kinston and South Granville last year. Best public school team I think I’ve ever seen and they’re just as good this year. Small 2A school, nothing but ballers. They love to play defense and shoots the laces off the ball. South Granville was very good last year as well. Them and Reidsville was probably the best game of 2019/2020.

One more team to throw in there.. Henderson Collegiate between Durham and South Hill. Those boys are nothing but hoopers as well and is less than a 45 min drive to South Boston and an hour 15 from Danville.

Great point about G.W. and Halifax going to the Seminole and Rustburg moving the Dogwood. No way Rustburg should be in the same district as Glass and J/F. The VHSL will be coming up on their new cycle to make changes soon. Will be interesting to see how they change things around.
The Seminole teams would welcome GW and Halifax with open arms. I don’t have much faith that the Danville administration would be open to that idea. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with the new Mecklenburg High School and where they’re placed. I’ve heard Piedmont. That’s a 2 hour drive to Stuart and 90 mile trek to Ridgeway and Bassett and that’s a minimum for the kids that live in Clarksville. Add another 30 minutes for the South Hill kids. They are much better off in the Central District with Dinwiddie, Petersburg, Colonial Heights, Hopewell, etc.

@deuce2hublue this is what I’m talking about when I say player development bro. The yellow team (Farmville Central) has been coached up and played together since youth league. Their program is currently ranked #1 in the state of NC (public and private) and they lost most of these guys last year. They are a 2A school (a little more than a thousand students). The white team is South Granville, less than 10 miles outside of Durham. Could be a program both GW and Halifax could play (in season and during the summer) to prepare for March.
Second video is South Granville and Reidsville. Reidsville is 15 minutes down the road from Danville and should be a rivalry both football and basketball for GW. Look at this quality of play and the quality of play in the Piedmont. No contest!

The Seminole teams would welcome GW and Halifax with open arms. I don’t have much faith that the Danville administration would be open to that idea. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with the new Mecklenburg High School and where they’re placed. I’ve heard Piedmont. That’s a 2 hour drive to Stuart and 90 mile trek to Ridgeway and Bassett and that’s a minimum for the kids that live in Clarksville. Add another 30 minutes for the South Hill kids. They are much better off in the Central District with Dinwiddie, Petersburg, Colonial Heights, Hopewell, etc.
I don't think all of the Seminole would welcome GW and Halifax. Also do not think Magna Vista would be welcome in other districts. Only thing for sure is GW and Halifax belong together in whatever district.

I don't think all of the Seminole would welcome GW and Halifax. Also do not think Magna Vista would be welcome in other districts. Only thing for sure is GW and Halifax belong together in whatever district.
Magna Vista, Bassett, Martinsville, Tunstall, Chatham and Dan River in the Piedmont. Patrick County belongs in Floyd County’s district but they could stay in the Piedmont if push comes to shove.

Patrick ain't going nowhere. The teams in Floyd's district don't want to travel up and down the mountain to play Patrick Co. Maybe they can ship M'vlle, MV and Bassett to NC and start a district with Morehead, McMichael, Rock Co. Don't want to play Reidsville though, them boys are to good.

@deuce2hublue this is what I’m talking about when I say player development bro. The yellow team (Farmville Central) has been coached up and played together since youth league. Their program is currently ranked #1 in the state of NC (public and private) and they lost most of these guys last year. They are a 2A school (a little more than a thousand students). The white team is South Granville, less than 10 miles outside of Durham. Could be a program both GW and Halifax could play (in season and during the summer) to prepare for March.
Second video is South Granville and Reidsville. Reidsville is 15 minutes down the road from Danville and should be a rivalry both football and basketball for GW. Look at this quality of play and the quality of play in the Piedmont. No contest!

This is going to continue to be a revolving discussion...now we're comparing NC schools to VA schools. I don't know how that came into the discussion. We play in Virginia, and the plan is to be the best in Virginia every year. It's nice to go to NC and get the exposure and to compete. I agree. All this talk about having half a season of out of district games wouldn't even be feasible with district play playing a home and away every season with 10 teams in a district and the regular season game limits.

We had this conversation on another thread about the system of player development, I'd like to think we agree there too. That discussion involved more than just the high schools and involved the greater community. No disagreement there either.

The movement of schools based on location again isn't the role of the people at these schools. It's the VHSL. I don't see a lot of that happening either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT