ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah District Teams Swing Into Action This Week

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Meaning of course the actual district schedule. Everybody has already played anywhere from 8-10 non-district games but the only district game I am aware of was the Riverheads at Stuarts Draft game back before Christmas. But that will all change starting Wednesday night and for the next six weeks or so, we will have a series of three-game nights (generally on Tuesdays and Fridays) that will decide the district champion and sort out who is playoff-worthy. That part of it will be as confusing as ever since the seven teams in the district play in three different classifications but it is too early to get into all of that.

At the beginning of the season, I had boldly predicted that Staunton would be head and shoulders above the rest of the league. I still think that even though they have lost some games along the way, at least three or four I think. But that was against some mighty tough competition, so I still have them as my pick.

Wilson still looks like a strong second choice, even though they too have lost some games. Fort and Stuarts Draft seem to be next in line, and it remains a toss-up as to how Riverheads, Gap, and Waynesboro will turn out. The Little Giants did finally win a game recently, beating James River at home.

So let's look at the first full slate for Wednesday night. Presumably they were intentionally delayed a day because of the close proximity to New Year's Day. However Fort Defiance does have a non-district game tonight, hosting Rockbridge County. They will then be off Wednesday night while the other six swing into action with this slate of games........

STAUNTON AT BUFFALO GAP: Based on my original thoughts and my comments above, I still see the Storm as being the class of the district, so they should roll easily over the Bison, despite the home court advantage.

WILSON AT RIVERHEADS: The Gladiators swept two games in their own tournament last week which should help their confidence. However they will constantly be undersized and outnumbered in many of their games. In this case, I fear that Eli Irving and company will be too big and too deep for the Big Red to handle. Of course I hope I am wrong and if the Big Red can have the same first half they had against Central a few weeks ago and keep it going for four quarters, they just might pull off the upset.

STUARTS DRAFT AT WAYNESBORO: I was quite surprised at the size of the Cougars when I saw them earlier, so they just might ultimately make more noise than the 3rd-4th place finish that I mentioned above. Regardless they will be able to handle the Little Giants easily.

Well so much for home court advantage, since I am going with all three road teams to win. That just means that SOMEBODY has to upset that apple cart!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT