ADVERTISEMENT

Halifax cannot win a State Tournament Game. Handley Advances

Sep 7, 2019
Good game by the Judges with a win in OT.

What happened after 1973 that put a curse on Halifax County basketball in the State Tournament? 3 straight years of one-and-done. I’m not bashing any of the guys or the coaching staff because they’re the reason we’ve gotten to that point in the first place, but it’ll probably be a few years before Halifax gets back to this point. We’re losing almost all our starting lineup, and gaining little experience with the JV team not playing this year. Roberts, Keyquan Newton, and Word could make some noise next year, but the rest of the team will be smaller. It’ll be interesting to see who steps up next year.

Good game by the Judges with a win in OT.

What happened after 1973 that put a curse on Halifax County basketball in the State Tournament? 3 straight years of one-and-done. I’m not bashing any of the guys or the coaching staff because they’re the reason we’ve gotten to that point in the first place, but it’ll probably be a few years before Halifax gets back to this point. We’re losing almost all our starting lineup, and gaining little experience with the JV team not playing this year. Roberts, Keyquan Newton, and Word could make some noise next year, but the rest of the team will be smaller. It’ll be interesting to see who steps up next year.
Moses Malone got Halifax in 73 finals and 74 semis. Halifax was also 75 runner up. Comets were very tall during tat time.
GW was also loaded same period but only one went from each region. There were 3 districts in the region. Each year one district got to send 2 teams.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
I remember those ‘73 Comets!

They beat my Leemen - led by all-state Mark Newlen - in the regional finals that season at the Roanoke Coliseum.

I think Halifax had Calvin Crews on that team - all 6’11 of him - and a really good guard .

Last edited:
Halifax’s teams had the unfortunate task in the state tournament from 1973-1975 of playing Petersbrug - led by 6’11 Moses Malone for two straight appearances - then Thomas Jefferson in 1975 - led by 6’11 Otis Fulton!

Kinda reminds me of when my Leemen lost the state finals in consecutive years to Maggie Walker (1971) and Langston (1972).

152741315_257732295811907_4966274206307899338_o.jpg

I have the 1972 State Basketball Tournament program - GW was in the AAA semis, but for them unfortunately, they lost to West Springfield - who then lost to Hopewell in the AAA finals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT