ADVERTISEMENT

Halifax Co. Are things looking up?

Sep 14, 2018
Are things looking up for the football program? Halifax County is typically dangerous in many sports and reach region and the state level. I believe the middle school team recently played for the championship. The JV is going for an undefeated season tonight when it travels to Tunstall and the varsity team is currently 6-3.

So my question is, are things looking up or just a fluke season where everything aligns just right?

Are things looking up for the football program? Halifax County is typically dangerous in many sports and reach region and the state level. I believe the middle school team recently played for the championship. The JV is going for an undefeated season tonight when it travels to Tunstall and the varsity team is currently 6-3. So my question is, are things looking up or just a fluke season where everything aligns just right?
Based on this year's results I would say things are looking up. I think they have improvements to the facilities in the works. Their drop down to C4 should help them compete within the Region. I guess the proof will be in the pudding.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Heard it was a ghost town of a crowd Friday night. Was told band left after their halftime performance and the cheerleaders left prior to the game ending. If this is true, than that is truly poor decision making on the part of the band director and cheer coaches. I would be embarrassed if my schools band and cheerleaders left prior to the end of a game. I know it was cold out, but they signed up for supporting the team and community at games. What makes it even more embarrassing is that Halifax was celebrating senior night and playing for a possible home playoff game, which I've read hasn't happened in decades. If this is true, it's a shame that two school funded programs couldn't stick around until the end, support the team until the end and share in the celebration at the end.

Did any other schools band and cheerleaders leave before their game concluded?

Wonder if they will show up for the playoff game or is that too much for them, since it would be an extra game?

Another reason Halifax has the reputation it has. Good luck to the Comets...seems like they need the support from outsiders.

This was the attendance in the third quarter. It was honestly embarrassing to be a Comet that night with the crowd. Yeah it was cold (I could hardly bend my fingers to type updates) but unless it’s pouring down rain weather isn’t an excuse. Pretty much everybody left at the half (and it was less than half of the usual attendance this season) The band left midway through the third. A lot of the Comet Crazies are only fair weather fans, both literally and figuratively. I’ve seen more people at the volleyball games than the second half.

I’m guessing a grand total of 12 fans at the Halifax/GW game on Friday for both teams combined :confused:

Did any other schools band and cheerleaders leave before their game concluded?

Wonder if they will show up for the playoff game or is that too much for them, since it would be an extra game?

I agree it’s embarrassing to see cheerleaders & band bail mid-game due to cold temps. I understand packing it in if it’s raining, but cold temps were expected. I suspect the band was planning to leave after halftime before the game even started. You should ask the Halifax principal or AD. Cheerleaders are another story though. Leaving mid-3Q? Sounds like the coach got pressured by kids/parents after they all watched the band leave. Just my speculation. I wasn’t there.

I agree it’s embarrassing to see cheerleaders & band bail mid-game due to cold temps. I understand packing it in if it’s raining, but cold temps were expected. I suspect the band was planning to leave after halftime before the game even started. You should ask the Halifax principal or AD. Cheerleaders are another story though. Leaving mid-3Q? Sounds like the coach got pressured by kids/parents after they all watched the band leave. Just my speculation. I wasn’t there.
I’ve raised the issue on the sports pages and I’ve been told that it’s mandatory for Cheer and Band to stop preforming when the weather is below freezing for “safety concerns”

So if that's the case, shouldn't the game be suspended as well? If you think about it in those terms, there are only 11 players (out of 40 maybe) playing at one time. The rest standing on sidelines in the cold. Then factor in you only play one side of ball, come off field for change of possession, and stand for several minutes soaked in sweat in the cold. That policy makes about as much sense as most things in Halifax.

I guess this Friday, for 1st home playoff game against a rival, the game will be played without the band or cheerleaders...suppossed to he cold again.

Reactions: falcettik
I just asked a buddy of mine from down that way and he said tjings there are baffling and laughable at the same time.

Said the Tunstall cheerleaders cheered entire game while losing big. He said they could've gotten on a bus to get warm, but cheered entire game AND went through the line at end od game to shake hands.

1-8 team being supported til the end, 7-3 and playoff bound having backs turned on them by those who are supposed to be supporting. Again, good luck to the Comets from an outsider.

I just asked a buddy of mine from down that way and he said tjings there are baffling and laughable at the same time.

Said the Tunstall cheerleaders cheered entire game while losing big. He said they could've gotten on a bus to get warm, but cheered entire game AND went through the line at end od game to shake hands.

1-8 team being supported til the end, 7-3 and playoff bound having backs turned on them by those who are supposed to be supporting. Again, good luck to the Comets from an outsider.
You and I both know that Tunstall is second to none in our area in school pride, community support and has one of the classiest sports programs in Southern/SW VA. I am proud to be a graduate of that school. Don’t realize it when you’re 17-19 years old, but you appreciate it when you’re older. I was supposed to go to GW, but my dad said no way! I’m not bragging, but that Tunstall’s pride and academic excellence instilled in me during my time there. I am proud to be a Tunstall Trojan!

Reactions: WP02alum
Halifax needs a culture change in general imo. There’s a lot of things that could be picked up from smaller schools like Tunstall. Smaller school communities are more tightly knit, and usually result in a stronger pride for the school

And to think, Halifax County hosted the AAA Football State Championship in 1992 :confused:
There’s a video on YouTube of the entire live broadcast of the game from LC Bird’s perspective. It’s titles “Halifax Comets vs LC Bird Championship Game 12-7-1991” if you ever want to look it up. Hopefully in a few years we will be back at a setting like this.

2 years ago there was a plan to rebuild the entire stadium completely, but of course nothing will be worked on until we start on the new school, which will probably require another 2 or 3 more years of “talking” before anything happens. I’ve seen the design and if it ever gets built it will be the nicest stadium in the Southside, with a visitor’s section similar to GW’s

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/southside/halifax-county-schools-proposes-9m-new-athletic-complex

There’s a video on YouTube of the entire live broadcast of the game from LC Bird’s perspective. It’s titles “Halifax Comets vs LC Bird Championship Game 12-7-1991” if you ever want to look it up. Hopefully in a few years we will be back at a setting like this.

2 years ago there was a plan to rebuild the entire stadium completely, but of course nothing will be worked on until we start on the new school, which will probably require another 2 or 3 more years of “talking” before anything happens. I’ve seen the design and if it ever gets built it will be the nicest stadium in the Southside, with a visitor’s section similar to GW’s

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/southside/halifax-county-schools-proposes-9m-new-athletic-complex
I did morning news at WHLF in South Boston from 1993-1997. During that time, the School Board approved money for restroom facilities at the baseball field. That's right. They didn't have restrooms until the mid-90s.

I gotta defend the band kids. When it's that cold out, lips freeze on mouthpieces. Those instruments are metal, and bare metal against skin is not pleasant. I've known band members get nerve damage due to playing in freezing temps. I wasn't at the game in question, but the bands' presence is up to the band director.

I've seen a lot of high school and college games where snow is falling or the temps are below freezing and the bands are still out there playing. I also asked my brother, who played in high school and college marching band in the far north and he said not once did the band leave early due to temps and he said he never heard of anyone saying their mouths froze to the instrument.

We grew up and he went to college in an area that gets lake effect snow and those cold Canadian winds, so if they don't freeze up there, I highly doubt it should be used as an excuse down here when the temps are hovering just above/below freezing.

Guess these guys are all going to have nerve damage.

Also found an article discussing marching bands and weather and one band director said "if the temps get below 10 degrees, I'll allow the band members to wear jackets."

Halftime-show-in-snow-2-969x576.jpg

I don’t have anything against the band but I’ve seen them keep at least the drum line after performing at halftime. Rain, sleet, 100 degree weather. People don’t realize that a lot of the fans at the game are parents & supporters of the cheerleading teams and band.

I don’t have anything against the band but I’ve seen them keep at least the drum line after performing at halftime. Rain, sleet, 100 degree weather. People don’t realize that a lot of the fans at the game are parents & supporters of the cheerleading teams and band.
It is the first time I’ve ever seen the band and cheerleaders leave before in a game. They’re one of the most supportive bands in Virginia but I’m assuming the bands equipment isn’t designed for cold weather unlike northern bands

From what I’ve heard, Cheer had the Veterans Day parade in the morning and the Band had a competition in Charlotte I believe so that probably influenced the decision as well
That makes sense. Our band has competitions as well, but the group we're in is already done for the season.

Reactions: WP02alum
You guys are all acting like the kids made this decision and walked out on their own. Coaches and band directors tell them what to do and when to do it, your grievances are with them and only with them.

Annnnnyyyywho, back to the main topic of the post.

Halifax might be having a right place-right time scenario. We’re hosting the playoffs, JV went undefeated and are Reigning District Champs, and I believe Middle School did pretty good (6-1 at one point). The head coach is putting emphasis on starting young, which is starting to become more popular around here.

Back in my middle school years, the football team went undefeated, and that talent has translated to the playoffs we have today.

Annnnnyyyywho, back to the main topic of the post.

Halifax might be having a right place-right time scenario. We’re hosting the playoffs, JV went undefeated and are Reigning District Champs, and I believe Middle School did pretty good (6-1 at one point). The head coach is putting emphasis on starting young, which is starting to become more popular around here.

Back in my middle school years, the football team went undefeated, and that talent has translated to the playoffs we have today.
May I ask what year you graduated? My favorite Halifax team was my 6th grade year when they came to Danville and upset GW back in 2005. Halifax had big Allen Stephens (4 star LB; signed with Virginia Tech,ended up at Morgan State) , Rodale Pippen (3 star ATH; played at Grambling State), Mark Ferrell (who is probably the best high school WR I’ve ever seen in my life; played at University Alabama Birmingham) and Patrick Terry who had a solid career at Virginia Tech. Halifax was loaded!!!

May I ask what year you graduated? My favorite Halifax team was my 6th grade year when they came to Danville and upset GW back in 2005. Halifax had big Allen Stephens (4 star LB; signed with Virginia Tech,ended up at Morgan State) , Rodale Pippen (3 star ATH; played at Grambling State), Mark Ferrell (who is probably the best high school WR I’ve ever seen in my life; played at University Alabama Birmingham) and Patrick Terry who had a solid career at Virginia Tech. Halifax was loaded!!!
I’m still in high school, actually. I’m a senior and graduate in 2020, so I’m probably the youngest person on this forum. Outside of the Wrecking Crew, you never hear about any of the other teams, let along that Halifax actually had star rated players!

I’m still in high school, actually. I’m a senior and graduate in 2020, so I’m probably the youngest person on this forum. Outside of the Wrecking Crew, you never hear about any of the other teams, let along that Halifax actually had star rated players!
Sheeesh my guy, you were in Huggies in 2005 LOL!! You present yourself very maturely.

Reactions: VolNation85
Sheeesh my guy, you were in Huggies in 2005 LOL!! You present yourself very maturely.
Well thank you. I believe in representing my school to the best of my ability everywhere I go, especially when wearing Comet apparel. I actually started a Comets sports page on Instagram over the summer and it’s blown up to over 400 followers. I’ve managed that page so much that the i was asked to run the Comet Crazies Twitter, which isn’t official but it’s been running for years.

I just emailed the principal about the inquiry of adding a Spirit Club to the school to help promote student attendance and participation like Tunstall has

Well thank you. I believe in representing my school to the best of my ability everywhere I go, especially when wearing Comet apparel. I actually started a Comets sports page on Instagram over the summer and it’s blown up to over 400 followers. I’ve managed that page so much that the i was asked to run the Comet Crazies Twitter, which isn’t official but it’s been running for years.

I just emailed the principal about the inquiry of adding a Spirit Club to the school to help promote student attendance and participation like Tunstall has

I admire your school and community spirit. Keep those Comet fires burning. Ah, to be young again! You’ve only got me by forty years. I barely even remember going to high school.

Great stuff bro! We’ve spoke on Twitter if you’re in charge of the Comet Crazies. Keep on doing what you’re doing! I am a high school counselor and when I tell you that young people with their head on straight are few and far between... You are apart of that few. Your parents did a wonderful job bro. I look forward in seeing/hearing about your accomplishments in the near future!

P.S. we have 3 remarkable young men on here. @Go_Cometss, @blackknight_pride and @BBengals1

Last edited:
Great stuff bro! We’ve spoke on Twitter if you’re in charge of the Comet Crazies. Keep on doing what you’re doing! I am a high school counselor and when I tell you that young people with their head on straight are few and far between... You are apart of that few. You’re parents did a wonderful job bro. I look forward in seeing/hearing about your accomplishments in the near future!

P.S. we have 3 remarkable young men on here. @Go_Cometss, @blackknight_pride and @BBengals1
Thanks bro! School spirit in me runs deep! Will always support my guys through their ups or downs!

Great stuff bro! We’ve spoke on Twitter if you’re in charge of the Comet Crazies. Keep on doing what you’re doing! I am a high school counselor and when I tell you that young people with their head on straight are few and far between... You are apart of that few. You’re parents did a wonderful job bro. I look forward in seeing/hearing about your accomplishments in the near future!

You don’t happen to be the SoVa Sports Head on Twitter do you?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT