ADVERTISEMENT

Harry Johnson Classic Championship

Trojans took care of business. I’ve been loud on these boards so you have to be just as loud when you’re giving others’ their due.

1. A lot of fans are saying Tunstall blew a 20 point lead and they did but I love the way GW battled back defensively. #3 Brawner for GW got after and frustrated Tunstall’s guards after a bad first half. Kevin Ellison and Tim King Jr. made tough tough buckets and GW didn’t flinch when they were faced with adversity. Tunstall braved the toughest environment I’ve seen in Danville in a very long time and made shots and plays when they needed to. As good as Jamarcus Brown and Zay Cobbs was, Brice Poole had the biggest game IMO. He’s a glue guy and does a lot of everything for Tunstall. That match up next Tuesday is going to be very good and I’m hopeful some media outlets can come out to promote it. Both coaches should be very proud as their boys left everything on the court.

2. Jamarcus Brown and Kevin Ellison will have to fight this thing out for District Player of the Year. What a game by both young men. This is Ellison first year playing organized ball and man can he hoop. Brown has gotten stronger and has worked on his game a lot. Mitchell from Martinsville is very good too, but missed 3 weeks so I think it’ll come down to Brown and Ellison.

3. Defense wins championships. Both teams have work to do offensively, but their defense will keep them in ball games come February. Tunstall turned it over a lot in crunch time and is missing a huge piece to get them over the hump. Won’t get into it, but they don’t have a true point like they had in the past 3 years. Edmonds and Cobbs are better off guards and they will have to get stronger with the ball if they want to advance in the best region in the state of VA.

4. Great way to bring excitement back to the Southside high school basketball scene.

Last edited:
Reactions: Virginiahoopinsight
Both teams had great moments, will be interesting to see adjustments over next 3 or 4 days, who make best chess move who over adjusts.... Gotta love it! Will say these two clubs are helping to bring excitement to the area!!! How many area teams have winning records in area currently? @BoKnowsSports @deuce2hublue @MascotMemorizer
1. Reidsville (6-0)
2. Tunstall (10-0)
3. GW (6-3)
4. Morehead (9-0)
5. Hargrave (8-2)
6. Martinsville (5-4)
7. Altavista (5-2)
8. Bassett (4-6)
9. Chatham (2-6)
10. Westover (5-5)
11. Gretna (5-4)

My rankings so far.

Reactions: Virginiahoopinsight
Forgot to add Person County in there. 11-1 and looking good. I’d have them between Tunstall and GW somewhere.

Bo, Mitchell was out for 2 games, Patrick Co. and Mecklenburg. He was back and dressed out for the GW game but coach didn't play him. We're having a little internal issue on the team right now but we played very well against a young but talented Graham team yesterday. Hopefully the Dogs can get things turned around and be competitive the rest of the year. Got a interesting game Tuesday as we travel to Halifax. I guess you know why it will be interesting.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Bo, Mitchell was out for 2 games, Patrick Co. and Mecklenburg. He was back and dressed out for the GW game but coach didn't play him. We're having a little internal issue on the team right now but we played very well against a young but talented Graham team yesterday. Hopefully the Dogs can get things turned around and be competitive the rest of the year. Got an interesting game Tuesday as we travel to Halifax. I guess you know why it will be interesting.
The Piedmont is going to be interesting. GW, Tunstall, Mecklenburg and Martinsville could all very well win the district. Halifax has been very inconsistent this year but they do have some talent, Patrick is much improved and MV and Bassett are a little better than their records indicate. The top 4 could go either way. All eyes will be on those GW/Tunstall and Tunstall/Martinsville match ups. Dogs have the most complete team in the district imo, they have to be much much more disciplined. No way should they lost to McMichael and Morehead.

We were up 10 or 11 in the 3rd on Morehead then we couldn't buy a basket then the Smith kid took over. He scored 39, went 21 out of 23 from the foul line. He's averaging almost 40 a game for the Panthers. Then the next night we should have just stayed at home against McMichael. The talent is there for the Dogs, but potential just means you ain't done nothing yet. We'll see how everything works out.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
We were up 10 or 11 in the 3rd on Morehead then we couldn't buy a basket then the Smith kid took over. He scored 39, went 21 out of 23 from the foul line. He's averaging almost 40 a game for the Panthers. Then the next night we should have just stayed at home against McMichael. The talent is there for the Dogs, but potential just means you ain't done nothing yet. We'll see how everything works out.
I was at the Morehead game. I told @AntGZee that I thought the Dogs looked like a well oiled machine at times during the first half, but that second half was a whole new ball game. I like the guard play but Mitchell will have to be the alpha dog if Martinsville wants to make a run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT