ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone seen both Liberty and Salem

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
If so what did you see. Two common opponents Pulaski and Franklin County---don't think that those games tell us much

Yeah ever since a defensive minded team beat Salem 7-0 in the semifinals last year. Thought I'd throw that out there first for a change.

All due respect, Liberty is not nervous. Just preparing. Spartans will finally have a game against a team. Something Salem has not encountered all year. Woodgrove presented some challenge. 12 - 0 GW was nothing.

LB will bring a fight. Salem will finally have a chance to earn a place in Lynchburg and see an actual football team.

I wish both teams the best but feel sorry for the finalist. They will get crushed at Liberty.

All due respect Shaunty, I never said Liberty was nervous. I simply said Salem was no more nervous than LB. Both teams and fan bases are confident that their team is better than the other and for good reason. Salem and their fans fully expecting a fight from LB and we are looking forward to it. After all, this is the State semis. This isn't our first rodeo.

Fans get nervous because they know all they can do is watch. As a player you get nervous but it goes away on the first play. Liberty is coming to Salem they better be prepared. Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth. If you don't think Salem is physical you know nothing about salem

Liberty- Bealeton didn't play Franklin County. I believe they play one of if not the toughest schedule in 4a north. played 3 3a teams 3 5a teams and 4 4a teams. the 3a teams combine record was 11-19 the 4a teams records was 26-14 5a teams record was 12-18. total combine record of 49-51. 8 of the10 made the playoffs. Battled tested Salem is in for a dog fight.

If GW was nothing then that makes your boys from Courtland less than nothing. Thanks for the comedy as always.

Pulaski played them back to back. Liberty has a massive o-line. They just pound the ball at you all night long. I think Salem's D'line will have trouble handling them. During the Salem-Pulaski game, Salem D line failed to get pressure on the QB and Pulaski was able to get to the outside on them.

On the other hand Salem's o-line is not as big but is very skilled. They were constantly getting to the second level and they ran the trap very well.

Salem has some talented running backs and you stop one the other one gets to you. Ramsey killed Pulaski on the trap play. Liberty also has some really underrated backs too. They are big, fast and hit you very hard. The works was they were much harder to bring down then Ramsey or Fox.

The Salem QB is more of a pocket passer and not much of a runner. The Liberty QB is duel threat. He is not nearly as good of a passer but he can run.

Watching both teams back to back, I would have to give the edge to Liberty. I think the key matchup will be Salem's o line vs Liberty's d-line.

Since Liberty's QB is a duel threat, I hope that none of the Salem players say anything to insult his honor.

(I'm not usually a spelling nit-picker, but I couldn't help myself.)

Salem finally gets a chance to play a team? Well, you send your stuff from up there and they get beat. We beat the team (Danville) that beat Courtland, we beat Woodgrove, we won't even talk about the first one, and now you are sending Liberty. If we get this done, we will have effectively sent everything you have back home. Will that be good enough to satisfy you? Probably not. You people have all the advantages, money, facilities, over staffed schools, and a government that has sucked the blood out of our region, what the hell else do you need to guarantee your "superiority?'' Come angry because you're about to catch a big boot to the butt.

Originally posted by shauntclair:
All due respect, Liberty is not nervous. Just preparing. Spartans will finally have a game against a team. Something Salem has not encountered all year. Woodgrove presented some challenge. 12 - 0 GW was nothing.

LB will bring a fight. Salem will finally have a chance to earn a place in Lynchburg and see an actual football team.

I wish both teams the best but feel sorry for the finalist. They will get crushed at Liberty.
I think it is a bit disingenuous to infer that GW Danville, Liberty and Woodgrove are not "actual teams".

Salem....please remember nearly 365 days ago

This message board looked very much like this almost a year ago. Salem was too big, too fast, too good for poor ole Sherando and it was going to be a blowout. Then a 7-0 shut out. Be very careful, this Liberty team is very good and talented.

I'll take this one Salem fans

That was a year ago so stop beating a dead horse. This years Salem team is more hungry, bigger, faster, stronger, more balanced, and has more heart than last years team. Was that good enough?

Re: Salem....please remember nearly 365 days ago

Another rookie pot-stirrer. Go away.
7-6 I don't know the winner.

Sorry J-Mac but your post makes absolutely no sense. Where do you see Salem fans talking about how we are too big, too fast, too good for Liberty? Salem haters always seem to mistake confidence with cockiness. Salem and their fans know we have a fight on our hands this weekend and aren't taking Liberty lightly. We expect Liberty to be very good and talented.

Originally posted by J-Mac-Runner:

This message board looked very much like this almost a year ago. Salem was too big, too fast, too good for poor ole Sherando and it was going to be a blowout. Then a 7-0 shut out. Be very careful, this Liberty team is very good and talented.
The vast majority of fans have been saying this will be a close game and some people have Liberty winning. I think I saw one poster say something along the lines of Salem being bigger and more talented.

Re: I'll take this one Salem fans

Yep You are right . Sherando not here , Salem is different as is Lake Taylor. Does that mean we will win ? No and we will see.

I saw that same post Shabutie and just about every Salem fan on this board dismissed that posters comments. The knowledgeable Salem fans know better than to take a team lightly... Especially in the State semis.

This post was edited on 12/3 3:05 PM by SalemPride

you are preaching to the choir buddy, we beat that "physical" Salem last year. By being more physical. Its up to Liberty this year, I dont have a dog in the fight. My team beat that physical Salem last year. I was just wondering why you guys are so uptight? Its just high School football, not life.

Originally posted by hamspear:
you are preaching to the choir buddy, we beat that "physical" Salem last year. By being more physical. Its up to Liberty this year, I dont have a dog in the fight. My team beat that physical Salem last year. I was just wondering why you guys are so uptight? Its just high School football, not life.
Who are you talking to?

Originally posted by hamspear:
I would say it's mostly people tired of certain posters who make up this magical crusade in their heads that all Salem fans sat down 3 months ago, declared themselves kings, and snub everyone as scrubs not worthy of kissing the ground Salem walks on. It's old, it's not true, and the people who need to make it up to validate their dislike of Salem are really sad human beings.

Kid, Salem lost last year because they were out physicaled. I watched the Woodgrove game also. You went down in that 1st half because you got out physicalled.

Trust me, you haven't seen a physical team this year. You will Saturday. Not trying to say Salem will lose but Liberty should help enlighten. Again, not saying Salem will lose. GL to both.

I guess the problem is people don't know who the Salem fans are and when people talk trash on Salem's behalf and belittle teams and talk about how excellent Salem is the first defense is "They aren't real Salem fans"

Kid? Seriously Shaunty that's an extremely immature post. SouthbottomU is probably old enough to be your father.
In addition, Salem didn't lose last year because they were out physicaled. The game was decided on 1 or 2 plays of which had nothing to do with physicality. It was an extremely hard fought and physical game by both teams.

This is not meant to be directed at any one post or poster! I find it very comical that this thread is talking about physicality play by both Salem and Liberty! If any one thinks this game is for sissy's then they had better pack their bags and go home!! We are talking football.... I'm assuming here in this thread!! Please no more talk about who is physical and lunch pails and they better be ready because we're bring this and that and you've never seen this kind of play before........PLEASE really!!!!!! I'm wearing my hip waders already its so deep...... LOL!!!!!!

I would bet that both of these teams know what's ahead of them and they better be spot on because all it will take is being cocky, over confident, etc...for everything to all of a sudden go south in a hurry!!! These are the 4 best teams in the state right now and you don't get this far without being GOOD and a little bit of luck, a good bounce, and a few lucky breaks along the way, etc... So come Saturday I wish every the best and good luck and hope the games are clean and good sportsmanship and who ever wins Saturday a lot will be resting on your shoulders to bring home the rings to the North!!

I saw Liberty play against Jefferson Forest and they are very good and physical. I think this game will be close but will give the edge to Salem because of the home field and they are tough in the playoffs. This might the toughest game for Salem before they face Lake Taylor who I think is definitely going to make it.

Got to be the dumbest post that you have made yet-----right up there with how woodgrove was going to beat salem last year.
If you want to call me a kid I guess I will call you sonny. I've forgotten more high school games than you have seen sonny.

Um, I'm 60 and yes, you were out physicalled. Unless he's about 80' you're wrong and I saw that game. You got man handled.

Just an opinion. Toss it out if you wish. GL to both teams Saturday.

So you are 60 --Well sonny --I repeat I have forgotten more games than you have seen. I have been getting social security for a while now hope it is still around when you are eligible. Salem had more first downs and total yards in that game but they lost the category that matters --the score. ----they got beat because they made some untimely turnovers and Sherando made a great play on 4th. down and 8 after getting a second chance when they missed a field goal.

This post was edited on 12/3 11:12 PM by southbottomU

This post was edited on 12/3 11:44 PM by southbottomU

Originally posted by southbottomU:
So you are 60 --Well sonny --I repeat I have forgotten more games than you have seen. I have been getting social security for a while now hope it is still around when you are eligible. Salem won every statistical category in that game except the one that matters --the score. If they had been out physicalled they would not have had more yards rushing [/B]----they got beat because they made some untimely turnovers and Sherando made a great play on 4th. down and 8 after getting another chance when they missed a field goal.

This post was edited on 12/3 11:12 PM by southbottomU
Salem ran 32 times for 93 yards for a 2.9 yards per carry.

Sherando ran 44 times for 154 yards for a 3.5 yards per carry.

Sherando 7, Salem 0

Intellectually I think you are wrong Shauntclair. I think Salem thought they could out physical Sherando but Sherando ganged up on the run and Salem, weather permitting, did not throw enough over the middle or down field. This might be a sin but Salem got out coached and that happens. We got beat in a one game playoff by a better team that day.

Well now that I know your age I'm really shocked how immature your post was. You should know better in your old age. SMH
I was at the game as well and I disagree with your assessment as usual. "Man handled"? Your credibility continues to slide Shaunty.

This post was edited on 12/4 12:23 AM by SalemPride

Working from memory----knew Salem had more first downs and total yards--but forgot how those yards were accumulated---Sherando played the run putting 8 and 9 in the box. Salem could not throw as well last year as they can this year. Weather also made it difficult to throw. Good game plan by Sherando---did not have anything to do with a difference in physicality.
Weather looks bad for Saturday. History could repeat itself-----but it won't be because of a difference in physicality.

when do you have time to make lesson plans-coach-run your business

You are on here all the time

Re: Amazed

I am just amazed that I was the only one that responded to his question with the information that he was looking for and the only response was I use Duel instead of Dual.

I found that this board really lacks any true discussions about football. Basically people seem to get on here and boast about their team, knock down someone else team or get pissed off if someone says something bad about their team.

You're right. It's not true. Not ALL Salem fans think that way, however, there are more than a few that post on these boards that do fit that profile. Again, not ALL but, definitely some.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT