ADVERTISEMENT

Hermitage vs. Highland Springs

GilliamRatings

VaPreps All State
Jun 5, 2001
Orange, Virginia
Well, this is a giant one. I would have told you the Springers would win this one with a lot of confidence, but Hermitage proved to me they've got a little more under the hood than they had let on during the regular season. Winner will be my favorite to win state title, but 5A is still slam loaded. No cake walk for anybody.

Reactions: HermGradHawk
Well, this is a giant one. I would have told you the Springers would win this one with a lot of confidence, but Hermitage proved to me they've got a little more under the hood than they had let on during the regular season. Winner will be my favorite to win state title, but 5A is still slam loaded. No cake walk for anybody.
It's going to be fun! HS has had trouble beating Hermitage in recent years. This one won't be easy, but I do like our chances! We played a good LD team last night that came to challenge for a victory. They played damned good! We have a real good team too that struggled defending them a little more than I expected. Hopefully it was a wake up call for us this week! This is a special group of kids on this Springer team and I have faith that they can do this!!
Go Springers!!!

Well if history is any indication of the future, I like Herm's chances. Hermitage has a way of bringing the best out of teams. Herm's record in the post season is 15-10; and of the 10 playoff losses, at least 4 (maybe 5?) have come to eventual state champs.

So, with the LC Bird monkey off our backs, the road looks pretty clear for us to go all the way. LD is a good team, but it's no Hermitage. Herm now knows what level of intensity it takes to unseat a champion. If only we match that same level of intensity this week, I have us as a touchdown favorite.

Last edited:
Well if history is any indication of the future, I like Herm's chances. Hermitage has a way of bringing the best out of teams. Herm's record in the post season is 15-10; and of the 10 playoff losses, at least 4 (maybe 5?) have come to eventual state champs.

So, with the LC Bird monkey off our backs, the road looks pretty clear for us to go all the way. LD is a good team, but it's no Hermitage. Herm now knows what level of intensity it takes to unseat a champion. If only we match that same level of intensity this week, I have us as a touchdown favorite.

Not so sure about that one. The teams from Northern Virginia have done quite well against Hermitage in years past. Battlefield and Centreville come to mind. The team you see in the final will be every bit as well coached as those two were. I wouldn't count the eggs just yet.

Yep, the last three years, Bird played some beasts in the finals and had to come from behind and their opponents had key players injured early in the game.

Winner of this one will be the favorite, but only a slight favorite as we go forward. 7 really good teams left.

Yep, the last three years, Bird played some beasts in the finals and had to come from behind and their opponents had key players injured early in the game.

Winner of this one will be the favorite, but only a slight favorite as we go forward. 7 really good teams left.
7 really good teams left. True!!! It could go to any of them.

With Herm having a way of bringing the best out of teams, they might be in trouble! I know for a fact. Highland Springs' offense is much more dangerous than what Bird had. HS has a passing game equal to if not better than what Herm has. Running game: I think HS has more "run" weapons along with a bigger Oline. I think this game might turn out to be a shoot out!

Thankfully I have a few more days to figure this game out before I post my preview...

There were three teams we were all in agreement were the class of the region; Bird, Hermitage and Highland Springs. Bird is out, that leaves these two and both have strong defenses. Highland Springs was really impressing me earlier in the season with their defense but I must admit the fact they gave up 34 to Lee-Davis has to be a concern.

You take into account that Herm shutout Freeman in the regular season finale, held Henrico to 6 and then Bird to 12... That's a very good defense in itself.

I'm sure the Springers will address their defensive woes of the other night and I expect a tight game like what we saw in the first one. Personally speaking I cannot wait for Saturday.

Thankfully I have a few more days to figure this game out before I post my preview...

There were three teams we were all in agreement were the class of the region; Bird, Hermitage and Highland Springs. Bird is out, that leaves these two and both have strong defenses. Highland Springs was really impressing me earlier in the season with their defense but I must admit the fact they gave up 34 to Lee-Davis has to be a concern.

You take into account that Herm shutout Freeman in the regular season finale, held Henrico to 6 and then Bird to 12... That's a very good defense in itself.

I'm sure the Springers will address their defensive woes of the other night and I expect a tight game like what we saw in the first one. Personally speaking I cannot wait for Saturday.
Watching the game, it was odd. The field was wet and very slippery. I thought we would be changing cleats at halftime but they were still slipping and sliding after the break(both HS & LD). HS's field is usually in great shape, but it was torn up pretty good after the game.
It's supposed to be a dry week so, hopefully that won't be an issue next weekend.

That Hermitage field is always pretty cruddy at the end of the season. Watch out, Springers!

My thoughts are that Highland springs is just due... They have some major D1 weapons in skill positions on offense and they have a chip on their shoulder. If not now then when? I have thought all year that HS was the best D5 team in the state.
Take nothing away from Hermitage. I knew they would beat Bird bc Bird is too run heavy to beat an equal well balanced team. Hermitage could very well beat HS and win a state championship. It is going to be an incredible game but Im going to lean towards Highland Springs.

I am not sure the D5 division has been this good at the top in a while. The central region had about 7-8 teams that could really ball. Three of them were elite.

I am much more familiar with the Central and Eastern regions than I am the Northern and Western regions. I have thought D5 was a 2 horse race all year in the Tidewater area Indian River and Hampton. I think Indian River wins here but loses to the Central champ.

I just think the central region is so strong for D5 whomever comes out that region is my pick for State champs...

I'm rollin with the Springers. Its your time!

It's Now or Never for Highland Springs. To be so close so many times and finally to get a home for the chance to win the Richmond side of the 5a south bracket is huge, not because of the fact you are that much closer to a state title but NOBODY ELSE IN THE STATE CAN MATCHUP AFTER THIS!! Whoever wins this game is going to be the State Champion! HS has to Move Eli Odom off his spot in the pocket. Noticed that he missed a lot of throws against Bird when he was forced to scramble out of the pocket. Also HSHS has to get Greg Dortch and K'Von Wallace the ball. In the First matchup they combined for only 7 total touches. THATS RIGHT YOUR TWO DIVISION 1 RECEIVERS ONLY HAD 7 COMBINE TOUCHES!! Get them the ball in space and allowed them to be great. D.J. Anderson is a great back but Hermitage up front in great. Throw the ball and force Hermitage to take more people out the box and then run!!! Get the playmakers the ball and Move Eli Odom out of the pocket and victory will be achieved!!! HSHS wins 34-21!!!

Reactions: springer76
They should consider moving this game because of the crowd size that will b there. Randolph Macon was not large enough to accommodate all the ppl who came out. Parking was horrible. Can't imagine HS being any different

Not so sure about that one. The teams from Northern Virginia have done quite well against Hermitage in years past. Battlefield and Centreville come to mind. The team you see in the final will be every bit as well coached as those two were. I wouldn't count the eggs just yet.
Took the words right out my mouth. Although I believe Battlefield is 6A and Centreville is already out (not sure they made the playoffs), the teams from NOVA will definitely have a say in who wins states. Massaponax and Tuscarora especially come to mind

Everybody keeps talking about "good coaching" in NOVA. Before either Highland Springs and Hermitage consider playing one of them, they'll have to worry about who I think will be the NEXT opponent after this one. That would be HAMPTON! Going back through the 70's on up, Highland Springs never beat Hampton, having played them 4 or 5 times in the State Semis..... Mike Smith has been coaching there for about 100 years now and ahs won how many state titles? I think Hampton has won 11 of them. Mike Smith might have been head coach for all of them. He is a real deal coach!
Took the words right out my mouth. Although I believe Battlefield is 6A and Centreville is already out (not sure they made the playoffs), the teams from NOVA will definitely have a say in who wins states. Massaponax and Tuscarora especially come to mind

Reactions: VolNation85
Impressed with the 5A playoff field this year, looks like a lot of strong teams. Going to catch the Stone Bridge @ Massaponax game tomorrow night. I haven't paid that much attention to 5A this year but Massaponax may be capable of spoiling some of those predictions that the winner of Highland Springs and Hermitage will take the state title.

I am in total belief that the winner of Herm vs HS will win the championship this year. I think Hampton is going to lose to Indian River. Certainly respect Mike Smith and all of the championships, but in my opinion the peninsula district was way down this year. Indian River is tough and really should have beat Oscar Smith if it wasn't for lightning in a bottle punt return.

HIghland Springs just has to do it this time. Too many horses to not with this derby.. Gotta just get it done.

I am in total belief that the winner of Herm vs HS will win the championship this year. I think Hampton is going to lose to Indian River. Certainly respect Mike Smith and all of the championships, but in my opinion the peninsula district was way down this year. Indian River is tough and really should have beat Oscar Smith if it wasn't for lightning in a bottle punt return.

HIghland Springs just has to do it this time. Too many horses to not with this derby.. Gotta just get it done.
I totally agree. Other than the HS/Herm game (played Aug. 28th, which HS should have won) and the LD game last week, none of the other 10 games HS played were even close and they played some good teams! This team is stacked to the hilt on offense! The defense is real good. Arguably the best team ever at HS. This is the year for The Springers, they need to stay focused and play their best 3 more times and they will do it.

I totally agree. Other than the HS/Herm game (played Aug. 28th, which HS should have won) and the LD game last week, none of the other 10 games HS played were even close and they played some good teams! This team is stacked to the hilt on offense! The defense is real good. Arguably the best team ever at HS. This is the year for The Springers, they need to stay focused and play their best 3 more times and they will do it.
My mind is drawing a blank...remind me who LD is again.

all I know is that Highland Springs came to Norfolk and smashed a good Norview team, this keeps sticking in my mind. Things might've changed in weeks following, but that's to be in consideration.

The rematch! Hermitage, 12-0 and coming off the elimination of three-time state champion LC Bird, returns to Highland Springs to battle the Springers (11-1) for a berth in the 5A State Semifinals! Highland Springs' only loss this season? 21-20, in overtime, at home to the Panthers opening night August 28th

Watch the live stream on November 28 @ 1 pm:

Good Luck to Coach Johnson and the Highland Springs Football Team. One of the true GOOD GUYS in coaching. Coach Johnson a true mentor and father figure for the springers. He leads them on and off the field and does things the RIGHT WAY! Good luck to them today. They are a great team. We faced them earlier in August. They are fast, physical.. Front 7 on defense looks like a college front 7. Should be a heck of game. Good luck to the springers!

Highland Springs up by 3 TDS at the half... They are legit. Very, very good team. Complete team. Great defense.. explosive offense and high octane special teams. Really no flaws to their team.

Congrats to Coach Johnson and the Springers! Big win for their program!

Gilliam - Looks like the state trend continued.. Offenses are dominating the defenses.. Sounds like that might the trend rest of the way too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT