ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Tidewater gals and guys,

It's gonna be a nothin burger for us. A little blustery day. Nothing winnie the pooh & piglet couldn't handle. Rain & flooding will be more like a noreaster storm.

North Carolina is another issue. Cape Hatteras will get slammed. We are very lucky in Hampton Roads. NC seems to act as a shield for us. A lot of the small towns within 50 miles of the coast flood badly with these events. Pray for them!

Nothing more than a breezy, rainy day in Smithfield. I've seen much worse in an August afternoon thunderstorm. MUCH WORSE. Our NC neighbors got hammered pretty badly. I'm sure one day the BIG ONE will catch us and the local "weather folks" can claim victory until then, they're still 0 for forever...

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Nothing more than a breezy, rainy day in Smithfield. I've seen much worse in an August afternoon thunderstorm. MUCH WORSE. Our NC neighbors got hammered pretty badly. I'm sure one day the BIG ONE will catch us and the local "weather folks" can claim victory until then, they're still 0 for forever...
By 7 PM the sun came out here and a very nice 73. Another nice night flushed down the drain by unpredictable predictions. Don’t know why in this area they don’t wait until noon time of game day to decide. It was decent even then. Winds never got over 15. Lafayette had a bye week so no need of a Monday /Friday scenario.

Reactions: gwb16
By 7 PM the sun came out here and a very nice 73. Another nice night flushed down the drain by unpredictable predictions. Don’t know why in this area they don’t wait until noon time of game day to decide. It was decent even then. Winds never got over 15. Lafayette had a bye week so no need of a Monday /Friday scenario.
I think we probably had some 30-35 mph gusts. A few pretty good showers, but it was really mild. The worst for us was the tidal flooding.

I get the school officials / administrators here in Tidewater not playing on Friday. I really do, even though the brunt of the storm was out of here by kick-off time. There was a lot of wind and some flooding in areas which can affect travel as well as playing conditions with the fields that don't dry well.

What I don't get is why they were in such a rush to wipe everything off for Thursday. I say that because they could've played games on Thursday night given what happened. Of course, once they cancel all after school activities, it's out of their hands.

The teams playing on Saturday / Monday have a quick turnaround for next week. Tip of the cap to Churchland's AD and the Beach officials for getting their games in on Wednesday without having to scramble last minute.

Churchland was the smartest of them all. This scenario has happened several times in the past because the cancellation decision is made 1-2 days before gameday. My 23 years here I can tell everyone that the weather in this area changes minute by minute a lot. As many have artificial surfaces - Williamsburg, York and Poquoson and others I think with travel time not that long a noon time gameday decision would be prudent. This would keep many teams still safe and the schedule intact- fewer short weeks that hurt them all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT