ADVERTISEMENT

Highland springs vs Martinsburg game 1 . 8/28/20

Sherando and Salem are both excellent Virginia programs and Martinsburg’s dynasty speaks for itself. Being someone outside of the Highland Springs’ program, I will tell you that they are a different animal from most teams you’ll see. I can go on about who has this P5 offer or who runs a 4.40 40 or who is the next big star...HOWEVER, the thing that’s most impressive to me is someone you’ve never heard of/wasn’t expecting to step up, steps up. They have depth at every position and has arguably the best coach in VHSL history. They are the New England Patriots of high school football and that’s no stretch. Loren Johnson and company WILL come out swinging week 1 and play Highland Springs football. I didn’t think HS was “all of that” this past year simply because they didn’t have the running game they’ve had in the past. They lost two D1 running backs in the 2019 class. THIS YEAR, they’ll be back. Loren Johnson will make the adjustment and they’ll be the premier team in a LOADED 5A field this year.
I agree. I hope I’m wrong but with MB having a new coach and losing their starting QB and WV player of the year Bowie (WR). I don’t see it being much of a contest.

Sherando and Salem are both excellent Virginia programs and Martinsburg’s dynasty speaks for itself. Being someone outside of the Highland Springs’ program, I will tell you that they are a different animal from most teams you’ll see. I can go on about who has this P5 offer or who runs a 4.40 40 or who is the next big star...HOWEVER, the thing that’s most impressive to me is someone you’ve never heard of/wasn’t expecting to step up, steps up. They have depth at every position and has arguably the best coach in VHSL history. They are the New England Patriots of high school football and that’s no stretch. Loren Johnson and company WILL come out swinging week 1 and play Highland Springs football. I didn’t think HS was “all of that” this past year simply because they didn’t have the running game they’ve had in the past. They lost two D1 running backs in the 2019 class. THIS YEAR, they’ll be back. Loren Johnson will make the adjustment and they’ll be the premier team in a LOADED 5A field this year.
HS's offensive backfield was young last year and lacked varsity experience. This year, those youngster will be Junior and Seniors, then there are the up and coming youngsters. Very talented and itching to play.
I am not 100% sure, but I think we will have a dynamic passing game to go along with a strong run game. Loaded with a very talented receiving corps. They QB is a great passer! He struggled a bit last year, but I think he will be a different monster this year. Just my inkling....

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
HS's offensive backfield was young last year and lacked varsity experience. This year, those youngster will be Junior and Seniors, then there are the up and coming youngsters. Very talented and itching to play.
I am not 100% sure, but I think we will have a dynamic passing game to go along with a strong run game. Loaded with a very talented receiving corps. They QB is a great passer! He struggled a bit last year, but I think he will be a different monster this year. Just my inkling....
Highland Springs would have still beaten 98% of the teams in Virginia last year WITOUT a potent run game. THE ONLY TWO TEAMS THAT COULD’VE BEATEN HS this past year were Varina and Maury. This year the 5A field will be loaded and LJ will have plenty of horses in the backfield.

I agree. I hope I’m wrong but with MB having a new coach and losing their starting QB and WV player of the year Bowie (WR). I don’t see it being much of a contest.
Just an FYI... The new head coach has been the OC for the past 6 years, Not much will change from that standpoint. Martinsburg like HSHS reloads every year. The under classmen got plenty of playing time last season due to the multiple blowouts...that in itself is valuable and the kids know what it feels like to win. Martinsburg has built their program on players who buy into what it takes to be part of a winning program. They will be ready to face the big challenge that is HSHS. This will be a great game for 2 dominant programs...May the best team win!!! Looking forward to seeing this matchup.

any truth to the rumor that the new HSHS will have Class 6 capacity?

any truth to the rumor that the new HSHS will have Class 6 capacity?
Very true,but word is,there’s been discussion about redoing the classifications again soon,but only 5 class levels,putting HSHS in the top class with the Westfields and OS and a few other current class 5 schools.

A five classification system based on last attendance figures could look like this:
Class 5
1-63
Class 4 64-126
Class 3 127-189
Class 2 190-252
Class 1 253-317

HSHS is right on that cusp,but those numbers don’t reflect their enrollment increase once they expand the specialty and tech centers once the new school is built. It’s expected to increase by 2-250 students.

HSHS is right on that cusp,but those numbers don’t reflect their enrollment increase once they expand the specialty and tech centers once the new school is built. It’s expected to increase by 2-250 students.
right
they will go up and Varina and Henrico will go down in population

Reactions: HooSprings
You are right that they are on the cusp, however, Tech Center won’t affect HS or Herm’s numbers. Kids from all over Henrico County go to the HS and Herm Tech Centers, but they go back to their home school once their school day is over and they only go to the tech center, 2-3 times a week. But.... I do expect HS and Tucker’s numbers to expand with rezoning and because they are both going to be 2 of the most state of the art campuses in Virginia. HS will get a lot of Varina’s kids and possibly some Henrico kids (if HS doesn’t dip into Henrico, I know Herm will). Tucker will dip into Godwin and I could be wrong but they should get some Freeman kids. Herm will also be getting back some of the kids they lost from GA and Tucker as well.

You are right that they are on the cusp, however, Tech Center won’t affect HS or Herm’s numbers. Kids from all over Henrico County go to the HS and Herm Tech Centers, but they go back to their home school once their school day is over and they only go to the tech center, 2-3 times a week. But.... I do expect HS and Tucker’s numbers to expand with rezoning and because they are both going to be 2 of the most state of the art campuses in Virginia. HS will get a lot of Varina’s kids and possibly some Henrico kids (if HS doesn’t dip into Henrico, I know Herm will). Tucker will dip into Godwin and I could be wrong but they should get some Freeman kids. Herm will also be getting back some of the kids they lost from GA and Tucker as well.
Actually,kids attending the Tech centers are allowed to declare an athlete association to either school. Sports wise,they must pick one school or the other,and that adds to the school’s student count. The specialty centers also adds to the enrollment numbers,and HS’s specialty center will be allowed to enroll more due to the increase in size. Any student in HENRICO county that qualifies for the newer,larger specialty center will be allowed to participate in that school’s athletic programs. So,if s kid in the DRun district qualifies for HS’s specialty center or Tech center,they will be added to the HSHS enrollment numbers.

I really want to see a Highland Springs vs Westfield matchup!

Actually,kids attending the Tech centers are allowed to declare an athlete association to either school. Sports wise,they must pick one school or the other,and that adds to the school’s student count. The specialty centers also adds to the enrollment numbers,and HS’s specialty center will be allowed to enroll more due to the increase in size. Any student in HENRICO county that qualifies for the newer,larger specialty center will be allowed to participate in that school’s athletic programs. So,if s kid in the DRun district qualifies for HS’s specialty center or Tech center,they will be added to the HSHS enrollment numbers.

and I want to see Varina bumping heads with the medium size schools like the ole days.
Schools like Louisa, Dinwiddie and Patrick Henry

The ONLY way a Freeman or Deep Run or Varina or Herm or Tucker or Henrico student can attend play sports at ANOTHER high school in the county and still live in their home school zones, they must be on a variance. The Tech Center, (it’s actually called ACE Center but I call it Tech too) DOES NOT DO THIS. How do I know? I work for HCPS LOL!

Example: my child’s home school is Hermitage but they attend Highland Springs Tech Center. Henrico County High Schools and Tech Centers operates on Day 1 and Day 2 schedule. Day 1 my child goes to Herm, their home school, all day. Day 2 they’ll go to Herm for first period and then go to their tech center program at Highland Springs for 2, 4 and 6th periods.

The ONLY way a Freeman or Deep Run or Varina or Herm or Tucker or Henrico student can attend play sports at ANOTHER high school in the county and still live in their home school zones, they must be on a variance. The Tech Center, (it’s actually called ACE Center but I call it Tech too) DOES NOT DO THIS. How do I know? I work for HCPS LOL!

Example: my child’s home school is Hermitage but they attend Highland Springs Tech Center. Henrico County High Schools and Tech Centers operates on Day 1 and Day 2 schedule. Day 1 my child goes to Herm, their home school, all day. Day 2 they’ll go to Herm for first period and then go to their tech center program at Highland Springs for 2, 4 and 6th periods.
I’ll try to figure out how 3 kids,playing a spring sport,played for the Tech school they went to,but lived in another school district. May be the variance. I’ll find out...they go to my daughters school,but live in another school district. I know the specialty centers allow kids to play for either school!

I’ll try to figure out how 3 kids,playing a spring sport,played for the Tech school they went to,but lived in another school district. May be the variance. I’ll find out...they go to my daughters school,but live in another school district. I know the specialty centers allow kids to play for either school!
It’s the variance. The Specialty Center or a specific program like the ROTC program is the ONLY way a kid can live in another zone, attend the school and play sports at that school. I’m not sure what HS has, I do know Varina has the Center for Communications and Navy ROTC.

It’s the variance. The Specialty Center or a specific program like the ROTC program is the ONLY way a kid can live in another zone, attend the school and play sports at that school. I’m not sure what HS has, I do know Varina has the Center for Communications and Navy ROTC.
HSHS has had Marines ROTC since I was there in the 80s,and a VoTech center,but I don’t know what their specialty center is other than engineering. The projected enrollment is supposed to be well into the D6 category. The old school is not being removed. It’s all going to be used as a specialty center,ROTC,and Technical center. The new will be the actual school.

Can anyone define...what is a “fast team”? Is it just a few very fast kids?! Fast bigs to go with good skill players? Having depth that is fast? Any thoughts are welcome,and no “wrong” replies. I hear teams all the time saying they have good speed,but they can’t believe how “fast” teams like OSmith,Varina,Maury,etc are. Any thoughts?!

HSHS has had Marines ROTC since I was there in the 80s,and a VoTech center,but I don’t know what their specialty center is other than engineering. The projected enrollment is supposed to be well into the D6 category. The old school is not being removed. It’s all going to be used as a specialty center,ROTC,and Technical center. The new will be the actual school.
I thinks Highland Springs has Culinary Arts in it VoTech Ctr. too.

Can anyone define...what is a “fast team”? Is it just a few very fast kids?! Fast bigs to go with good skill players? Having depth that is fast? Any thoughts are welcome,and no “wrong” replies. I hear teams all the time saying they have good speed,but they can’t believe how “fast” teams like OSmith,Varina,Maury,etc are. Any thoughts?!
To me, it's fast in just about every position, Offense and Defense.

Response posted on D5 board also: I would interpret the difference this way: Speed is individual speed, most likely for sustained movement versus quick starts (quickness). Fast is the tempo that a team plays at-getting the ball out quickly, making decisions (a lot of that is dependent on the QB), getting to the ball on defense, etc. Fast can also be related to quickness, since when someone is quick, whether that is a RB, OL/DL, etc., their ability plays into making a team look "fast".

Thank you! I didn’t realize Tusky was D5 back then. I thought they were D4 like they are now. I’m not judging anything with a team that successful ,regardless of classification. I was just wondering why a team that successful had never played any of the upper division VA teams,but the close proximity makes more sense with a program like Salem that close.
I see a lot of people saying MB has 10-11 D1 players every year. That’s a PROGRAM!!
Highland Springs played them in the ship a few yrs ago.

They lost 22 players. Just about all of them were on the field. The backup QB included. This will be an easy win for HS. Now if they had played this past yr different story

Last edited:
Just an FYI... The new head coach has been the OC for the past 6 years, Not much will change from that standpoint. Martinsburg like HSHS reloads every year. The under classmen got plenty of playing time last season due to the multiple blowouts...that in itself is valuable and the kids know what it feels like to win. Martinsburg has built their program on players who buy into what it takes to be part of a winning program. They will be ready to face the big challenge that is HSHS. This will be a great game for 2 dominant programs...May the best team win!!! Looking forward to seeing this matchup.
Martinsburg will be nowhere near as good as they were this past season. It's great to get kids into games in blowouts but outside of the tailbacks
Most have not played minutes that really matter

Response posted on D5 board also: I would interpret the difference this way: Speed is individual speed, most likely for sustained movement versus quick starts (quickness). Fast is the tempo that a team plays at-getting the ball out quickly, making decisions (a lot of that is dependent on the QB), getting to the ball on defense, etc. Fast can also be related to quickness, since when someone is quick, whether that is a RB, OL/DL, etc., their ability plays into making a team look "fast".
Speed is relevant to the teams you play.

Martinsburg will be nowhere near as good as they were this past season. It's great to get kids into games in blowouts but outside of the tailbacks
Most have not played minutes that really matter
I wouldn’t say know where near myself , but that’s why they play the games.

EV12RleWoAE2dv1

If Martinsburg is down that many guys then this will be running clock. The only teams that could possibly hang with HS this year is the VA 5A and 6A boys. You’d be fooling yourself to believe that a team that lost 20+ seniors could hang with HS who was very young last year and returns at least 5 guys with power 5 offers. The only team on HS’s regular season schedule that I believe that’ll give them a legit run for their money is Oscar Smith. Varina will be so so and you can never count out Forge. Other than that, all running clocks until playoff time.

I would say that Salem would be a better matchup with HS than Martinsburg. Me and @HooSprings have had the debate before and I believe that some of Salem’s teams of the past 5 years could’ve competed well with the Springers. Don’t think that ANY of the Salem teams could’ve beaten the 2018 or 2015 Springers but I would’ve loved to seen the Salem matchup in 2015, 2016 and 2017. It’s hard to argue that anybody on the East Coast were better than the Springers in 2018. Their 2015 team was loaded (3 current NFL players) but they weren’t as good as 2018.

That 2018 team was a juggernaut! They were relentless and flat out nasty on both sides of the ball! I think that was the best Springer team of all time. The 2018 Manchester team was also a juggernaut and the best Lancer team of all time as well. It was a shame those 2 didn't meet that year. They both were 15-0/ State Champs. Awesome year for the 804!

That 2018 team was a juggernaut! They were relentless and flat out nasty on both sides of the ball! I think that was the best Springer team of all time. The 2018 Manchester team was also a juggernaut and the best Lancer team of all time as well. It was a shame those 2 didn't meet that year. They both were 15-0/ State Champs. Awesome year for the 804!
As much debate as it was, don’t think Manchester could’ve beaten the Springers!

If Martinsburg is down that many guys then this will be running clock. The only teams that could possibly hang with HS this year is the VA 5A and 6A boys. You’d be fooling yourself to believe that a team that lost 20+ seniors could hang with HS who was very young last year and returns at least 5 guys with power 5 offers. The only team on HS’s regular season schedule that I believe that’ll give them a legit run for their money is Oscar Smith. Varina will be so so and you can never count out Forge. Other than that, all running clocks until playoff time.

ESPN should televise both games. I think it would be a 1st. AND, if MB is down in 2020, the Smith game could be the better show!

They should have played a benefit game after the season was completed.

ESPN should televise both games. I think it would be a 1st. AND, if MB is down in 2020, the Smith game could be the better show!
I personally think it's going to get ugly early in this one. Smith will be the better game.

They should have played a benefit game after the season was completed.
They did play this past year and will play again in 2020 in Regular Season play. Last year Manchester was class 6 and HS class 5. Now, they are both class 5
If you didn't already know. Manchester lead 16-0 at halftime. HS came back with a vengeance in the 2nd half and won 26-16 at Manchester HS... and a rematch lies ahead!

Reactions: SFUWO
They did play this past year and will play again in 2020 in Regular Season play. Last year Manchester was class 6 and HS class 5. Now, they are both class 5
If you didn't already know. Manchester lead 16-0 at halftime. HS came back with a vengeance in the 2nd half and won 26-16.
I watched the game on YouTube. Game of 2 different halfs for sure.
Manchester, HS, Varina, and Maury were all on a different level last yr. Lake Taylor was blasted by Maury and Varina.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT